Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fox of Stone posted:

Casual racism, sexism, and homophobia is still those things.

And to be clear, the IPG explicitly calls out that it's still UC - Major even if the player's opponent doesn't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The SCG open finals is another example of the sheer power of mono black. MBD player had the resources to make two pack rats a turn, but decided to not do that for some reason (he's against GW, so no board sweepers available) and ended up with a decimated board without any rats left. He had a lifebane zombie, so was able to sneak a victory, but it all seemed like he chose the hardest route possible rather than just making two more rats every turn.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boxman posted:

The SCG open finals is another example of the sheer power of mono black. MBD player had the resources to make two pack rats a turn, but decided to not do that for some reason (he's against GW, so no board sweepers available) and ended up with a decimated board without any rats left. He had a lifebane zombie, so was able to sneak a victory, but it all seemed like he chose the hardest route possible rather than just making two more rats every turn.
He punted badly because he had a devour of flesh in hand with mana to cast it so he wouldn't lose his pack rats. He's still up 1-0 due to the Lifebane Zombie when the GW Aggro player had lethal the next turn.

The GW Aggro player didn't point out that the packrat should die, it took the judges and staff at the table to point out it would die to damage still on it from the VoR block. I really wonder how many games are decided in these tournaments by both players playing incorrectly.

:lol: Punts game 2 hard too. Goes double temples instead of casting a devour on a 4 power board. Got run over.

Korak fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So wait, we don't find out the next block's name until the pro tour in May?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

Can't roll my eyes enough at the Guest Designer gimmick for M15. Leave card design to the pros, please.

I'm sure Wizards R&D worked closely with the "guest designers", probably even more closely than they did with the Invitational winners. Contrary to the belief of many, modern R&D has their poo poo together and would never give any sort of real control of their product to another entity. Magic already has a large overlap with a lot of other nerdy niche hobbies and this is a great way to strengthen that bond. Plus Genesis Hydra, have you seen that card?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Congrats to Mono Black Devotion for finally winning a Standard Magic tournament

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

The Lord of Hats posted:

So wait, we don't find out the next block's name until the pro tour in May?
PT Journey to Nyx is when we find out, even then on Sunday of it. The guy giving presentation messed up yesterday or we all heard what we wanted to hear since he said "Sunday you'll learn what the next Block is." which caused MaRo to go on his blog to clarify. We will be getting Pharika today from PAX? Nevermind WotC packed their poo poo up and left.

Mono Black guy wins GP Dallas even though he was playing and sideboarding pretty terrible. Devour of Flesh should always come out against VoR decks unless you just absolutely don't have anything else to board in.

"This is my first Open and I haven't played in seven years until Theros came out." That explains that.

Korak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 13, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

Congrats to Mono Black Devotion for finally winning a Standard Magic tournament

And piloted by a guy who has never been to an open before! Solid!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
For the women playing MTG thing ... I know Seattle has a great thing with Lady Planeswalker Society. Run by former WOTC employee Tifa Robles, she's getting the word out on what she does pretty well now. I'd check out their FB, or contact her, if you're interested on finding ways to make it more inviting for women to come to your LGS.

Or, you could just speculate on these threads! :D

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I think step one is to not act like frenzied sharks smelling blood in the water. My gf plays at her LGS and her biggest complaint is the "can I have your number?" question because apparently asking to see someone's trade binder or asking for deck advice is flirting. She's cool about it but I can definitely see that making women not want to play.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

En Fuego posted:

For the women playing MTG thing ... I know Seattle has a great thing with Lady Planeswalker Society. Run by former WOTC employee Tifa Robles, she's getting the word out on what she does pretty well now. I'd check out their FB, or contact her, if you're interested on finding ways to make it more inviting for women to come to your LGS.

Even Lady Planeswalker events are half male

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

kingcobweb posted:

Even Lady Planeswalker events are half male

Not the point, and you know it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I think LPS is great and a lot of my friends go to it. But it also seems sad that one woman in her spare time has been more successful at making a woman-friendly scene for Magic than the entirety of Wizards.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

kingcobweb posted:

I think LPS is great and a lot of my friends go to it. But it also seems sad that one woman in her spare time has been more successful at making a woman-friendly scene for Magic than the entirety of Wizards.

I don't disagree with that, but it also seems like she's making a lot of headway in the convention department. Geek Girl Con is using LPS over Wizards this year, and it may be a telling sign for them to pick up their game.

The way, sometimes, to get a company to do something is to do it better and show that it's a successful entrepreneurial endeavor.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So, yesterday, y'all made it sound like there were gonna be another magic panel today but the PAX east schedule appears to disagree so did I just misunderstand or am I blind?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

I wish there were a way to get an LPS-type group together in my area, but I certainly can't start one, and the lovely behavior of the guys is not going to encourage any women to get working on one.

forbidden lesbian posted:

So, yesterday, y'all made it sound like there were gonna be another magic panel today but the PAX east schedule appears to disagree so did I just misunderstand or am I blind?

There's no panel I'm aware of. They mentioned at the panel that Huey will be revealed "Sunday at the Pro Tour," but people seemed to not hear the "at the Pro Tour" part.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boco_T posted:

Here's a budget green deck you might be able to start with:
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/kevincrimin-video-041114-playing-on-a-budget-standard-mono-green-devotion/
Videos included to show how the deck plays.

Last week a green deck got Top 8 but it's significantly more expensive because of the Mutavaults in the deck:
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=65874

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can move pieces in or out based on cost. Boon Satyrs are $2, Reverent Hunters are 50 cents, Nylea is about $5, that singleton Nykthos may run you about $9. Mistcutter is an insane sideboard card against any and all blue decks, but it is around $3 apiece.

Still, you can probably make a competitive start for around the cost of a $20-30 preconstructed deck if you go on TCG Player or the SA Mart forum and get a decent deal.

Thanks to you and Ramos for the suggestions. Just out of curiosity, are there any preconstructed decks a la the dated Hold the Line recommendation that are OK? I am going to work on getting that green devotion deck together most likely but I'd like to go get something now that's semi decent to play around with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tzirean posted:

I wish there were a way to get an LPS-type group together in my area, but I certainly can't start one, and the lovely behavior of the guys is not going to encourage any women to get working on one.

Talk to the owner. If s/he isn't a grognard, you might be able to progress. There's a women-only pathfinder/dnd night at our LGS. Helps that we have another room for RPGs though. The only bad thing is that it's scheduled on the same night as board game night.

e: Oops, misread. I thought you were trying to do it specifically for a store.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks to you and Ramos for the suggestions. Just out of curiosity, are there any preconstructed decks a la the dated Hold the Line recommendation that are OK? I am going to work on getting that green devotion deck together most likely but I'd like to go get something now that's semi decent to play around with.

The latest event deck is the one from Born of the Gods which is all black. It's pretty good and a nice way to start off in black if you want to.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Anyone else watching SCG that can confirm that David Thomas didn't reveal his hand when he got hit with Surgical Extraction?

Not that it matters since he just dumped it all with Breakthrough, but still.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Either that green deck or the black one is fine but if premade vs piece hunting is the issue, just print the green list out and show it to whoever is working at your lgs. If you have a good and organized store, they should be happy to hunt through their stuff and find the pieces for you. You could skip the sideboard for now until you get comfortable with the game again, and by then you might be ready to upgrade the deck too. Could be cheaper to make the green one but it really depends on how well-priced your store is and how helpful they are.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

En Fuego posted:

Note: Lady Planeswalker Society is in part responsible for Magic Cards with Googly Eyes, and is thus pretty drat awesome.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
First draft of Athreos EDH went surprisingly well. Guy needs to be more midrange though, that or I make the deck 1/3 Shadowborn Apostles because the idea of saccing six of them, waiting to see how many my opponent makes stay dead, then fetching a Rune-Scarred Demon into Immortal Servitude to twist the knife.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Would a fetch land that gets any land it wants be too broken in Modern/Legacy?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Korak posted:

Yes

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Korak posted:

Immediate thought was that you now have a thinner deck and that much more room for the wasteland love to go around. Among other things.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I don't know if it'd be too overpowered to have a terramorphic expanse for any land. Maybe tack on a life cost or mana cost to balance it?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I am trying to think of what white devotion splashing red could potentially ramp into? I know there isn't any conventional ones, would like creative ideas please :)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MrBling posted:

Anyone else watching SCG that can confirm that David Thomas didn't reveal his hand when he got hit with Surgical Extraction?

Not that it matters since he just dumped it all with Breakthrough, but still.

Yep, it seems like both players forgot about it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mince Pieface posted:

I don't know if it'd be too overpowered to have a terramorphic expanse for any land. Maybe tack on a life cost or mana cost to balance it?

It wouldn't be overpowered in the sense that cards like Skullclamp and Ancestral Recall and Moxen are overpowered, but it would be overpowered in the same sense that Survival is overpowered; it would give you so much incremental advantage that it would probably overtake the format in it's entirety.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Korak posted:

Yes, because Gaea's Cradle and Wasteland exist.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Samael posted:

So I am trying to think of what white devotion splashing red could potentially ramp into? I know there isn't any conventional ones, would like creative ideas please :)
There are conventional ones, white devotion would ramp into AoSerenity off Nykthos a couple months back.

You could also mess with Aurelia, I guess. She might actually be sort of good at closing up the game and she is buddies with Iroas and Launch the Fleet.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Mince Pieface posted:

it probably needs to be worse than sylvan scying to not have a color pie bleed, and that seems a lot better

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I just remember that Cloudpost is banned in modern and giggled to myself a little bit.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

There are conventional ones, white devotion would ramp into AoSerenity off Nykthos a couple months back.

You could also mess with Aurelia, I guess. She might actually be sort of good at closing up the game and she is buddies with Iroas and Launch the Fleet.

Been thinking of ideas from FNM this week, angel of serenity is good and I have aurelia already, but I was more thinking of with all the token makers mono white has now post JOU, ramping into devout invocation would be so much fun :buddy:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Is anybody else watching GP Philly? It's currently the last round of Swiss with Huey Jensen playing against a 13 year old kid in a win-and-in game and it's tense as gently caress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

an_mutt posted:

Is anybody else watching GP Philly? It's currently the last round of Swiss with Huey Jensen playing against a 13 year old kid in a win-and-in game and it's tense as gently caress.

The kid misplayed the hell out of that game :(. G1

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Nope, I'm watching SCG because there's Food Chain vs High Tide on right now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jenx posted:

Nope, I'm watching SCG because there's Food Chain vs High Tide on right now.

Dammit I wanted to watch that game. At least it will be up on YouTube soon.

In other news, Huey reveal is today right? I presume later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Serperoth posted:

In other news, Huey reveal is today right? I presume later?

They said they were announcing it during Pro Tour Journey into Nyx. So, May 18th.

• Locked thread