Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

WarpedNaba posted:

As self-portraits go, probably not the most innovative.

:iceburn:

Wait. poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I should ask, is that supposed to be the pulse cannon from Raptor?

Bahaha, Its not supposed to be but in hindsight that's exactly what I must have been inspired by. I was thinking about raptor the other day too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

dog kisser all your mods are loving awesome.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

dog kisser all your mods are loving awesome.

Thanks, Motherfucker.

Also I'm probably done with explosives now unless someone has a terribly good idea on something else they want.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

dog kisser posted:

Thanks, Motherfucker.

Also I'm probably done with explosives now unless someone has a terribly good idea on something else they want.

A kennel that poops out those little bomb-chu grenades you sometimes get from grenade launchers in whichever direction it receives a wire input from.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

dog kisser posted:

a terribly good idea

Edit: I may be able to do that, if I can find the projectile names for em

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 13, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

An explosive that doesn't destroy terrain, just furniture and chests and poo poo.

Gotta' rearrange that storage shed.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

An explosive that doesn't destroy terrain, just furniture and chests and poo poo.

Gotta' rearrange that storage shed.

I'm not sure that that's possible, actually - the same damage that breaks objects is what breaks blocks. I'll look into it.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

dog kisser posted:

I'm not sure that that's possible, actually - the same damage that breaks objects is what breaks blocks. I'll look into it.

But storage containers and the like take a poo poo ton less damage to break than normal blocks, right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That mining device is cool as hell. I really hope they address mining tech at some point. Pickaxe tier is not very fun and I feel like perhaps you are stuck there longer than you should be. Haven't used drills yet because I haven't played in a while, so I can't speak to what it is like mining with those.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
I'd guess someone will make an excavator vehicle mod sooner or later. Would be fun to have a safety yellow backhoe tunneling through the landscape.

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Change properties on the Steam loader to enter unstable and that'll be close to it. Internal private betas are daily for sure though.
Beta of a beta, fantastic.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dog kisser posted:

WarpedNaba to do a voiceover introducing each of your explosives along with a video demonstrating their usage.

WarpedNaba posted:

Next week I've got a fair amount of spare time. If you'd like me to voice a mod pro bono, just let me know.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 13, 2014

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

bonermobile posted:

Beta of a beta, fantastic.

People complained about the beta requiring world/character wipes, so they introduced the unstable branch. Blame dickheads, not the devs.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Jackard posted:

WarpedNaba to do a voiceover introducing each of your explosives along with a video demonstrating their usage.

Well that's excellent - Maybe I'll see if he can do a little something else for me instead!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dog Kisser did something awesome, but I did something RETARDED

Edit: You can overtake the projectiles

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 14, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoehead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jYFneBvWo&t=59s

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Shoehead posted:

Will they hurt you if you do?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

boo_radley posted:

Will they hurt you if you do?

Nope. I don't think Starbound let's that happen. I'm gonna add some muzzle flare and see if I can tweak the projectile to hit everything on screen at once. I think if I make it really tall and transparent it'll either kill everything in a wave or clip into the ground and not do damage.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shoehead posted:

That projectile speed would be okay if you upped the fire rate. Like a reverse bullet hell.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Shoehead posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shoehead posted:

So just to make sure, it also produces a cone of damaging invisible rods out from your body in the direction you fired when the projectile impacts something, right

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh more thingalings..

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Will we also be getting the RV APC from Stripes?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
How about a Winnebago with wings?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Will we also be getting the RV APC from Stripes?

Too soon.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Oh more thingalings..

This makes me want the tank from Kid Chameleon, complete with shooting exploding skulls!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Alright, back to making objects for the Peglaci. It turns out I'm HORRIBLE at perspective. Thoughts?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dog kisser posted:

Alright, back to making objects for the Peglaci. It turns out I'm HORRIBLE at perspective. Thoughts?

The first one needs one or two less books in the cubbyholes. Not necessarily completely empty, but definitely less ridiculously full. While cool as heck I'm not really a big fan of any of the bookshelves. I'm not really sure what it is, they either manage to look cluttered (the two on the left) or... sad, for lack of a better word (the one on the right).

Everything else is fantastic and awesome though. The crystal on the table is also kinda iffy too, and weirdly geometrical.

I really do like a lot of it, but those were just my opinions on the matter.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

The first one needs one or two less books in the cubbyholes. Not necessarily completely empty, but definitely less ridiculously full. While cool as heck I'm not really a big fan of any of the bookshelves. I'm not really sure what it is, they either manage to look cluttered (the two on the left) or... sad, for lack of a better word (the one on the right).

Everything else is fantastic and awesome though. The crystal on the table is also kinda iffy too, and weirdly geometrical.

The emptier bookshelves could be filled with other random things - book ends, small lights, crystals, shiny rocks, random artifacts (weapons?), which might help take up that empty space.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The modders in this thread are so awesome it makes me feel like modding things in is more fun and rewarding than actually playing the game. I think I'm going to start doing some practice stuff to learn the basics, even though I have no programming or visual art related skills whatsoever. You people are great, keep doing fun and amazing stuff!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

The crystal on the table is actually just an example crystal from the ingame sprites - it is not at all supposed to be ON the table, I just happen to have put it on top, haha. As for the bookshelves, yeah they're too packed, eh? They're actually set up to be modular - the grid I'm using didn't save in the image, but each huge bookshelf is divided into two end-pieces (one on either side) and four middle pieces (two hex style, two straight shelves). When you place either an end piece or a middle, it'll randomly select from either 4 super-full/4 med ful/4 almost empty/4 totally empty sprites, so your bookshelves will look interesting. That being said, initially I wanted super packed bookshelves to also have other stuff crammed in there to make it look more interesting, but I got lazy. Judging by the comments, I should go back and fill the shelves up with other cool stuff.

Bolverkur posted:

The modders in this thread are so awesome it makes me feel like modding things in is more fun and rewarding than actually playing the game. I think I'm going to start doing some practice stuff to learn the basics, even though I have no programming or visual art related skills whatsoever. You people are great, keep doing fun and amazing stuff!

It's easy and fun! I sent someone else a template for making a gun, if you're interested!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 15, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I should probably stop drawin and start implementing some of this.. :sweatdrop:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

I should probably stop drawin and start implementing some of this.. :sweatdrop:

I love how much character your sprites have - the bouncing is rad. And no, keep drawing and then implement a bunch of stuff at once!

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I bought the game a few weeks back and have been having a blast just... doing stuff. It didn't exactly lessen my experience when I noticed quite a lot of the best mods are goon-made, too.

dog kisser posted:

The crystal on the table is actually just an example crystal from the ingame sprites - it is not at all supposed to be ON the table, I just happen to have put it on top, haha. As for the bookshelves, yeah they're too packed, eh? They're actually set up to be modular - the grid I'm using didn't save in the image, but each huge bookshelf is divided into two end-pieces (one on either side) and four middle pieces (two hex style, two straight shelves). When you place either an end piece or a middle, it'll randomly select from either 4 super-full/4 med ful/4 almost empty/4 totally empty sprites, so your bookshelves will look interesting. That being said, initially I wanted super packed bookshelves to also have other stuff crammed in there to make it look more interesting, but I got lazy. Judging by the comments, I should go back and fill the shelves up with other cool stuff.

I love your mods, they're absolutely fantastic. I was playing an Avali at first (also a fantastic race mod), but your Peglaci are just something else what with all the sweet weaponry, lore and what have you. Really looking forward to seeing you add more stuff.

That being said, the bookcases you linked above looked a bit 'off' to me, and I couldn't quite put my finger on why -- and it wasn't the clutter mentioned by others, but I think I just figured it out - the 'vanilla' bookcases and furniture tends to have a perspective of from ahead and slightly to the side, whereas your bookcases have a perspective where you also see them from slightly above, yet you can't see the shelves at the bottom the way you might expect if that were the case. As an example:

Your bookcases:

Some vanilla examples:

Anyway, keep up the great work all you fantastic mod-goons. :tipshat:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah if you make the side panels of the bookcases parallelograms, or maybe even rectangles since I can't tell if there's a slight slant along the horizontal lines, instead of trapezoids, you'll be golden.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah I'm having trouble with these angles too. Serves me right for trying to draw curves sdeways

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah, angles are brutal. For the bookcases at least, the top is not the flat top of the bookcase - the top is meant to slope up towards the background, so it forms a triangle against the wall. I'll see what I can do to tweak it, but I'm definitely moving on the the next objects - getting burnt out on bookcases, haha.

edit: Also, anyone have anything specific they want to see? In addition to tables/chairs/couch/beds etc, I want to have some unique stuff:
- Snowmaker: Turn it on, fires a projectile into the air that poofs into snow that falls all over
- Bulkhead Door: Door that closes automatically if it detects water - can be reopened manually when closed (stays open for 5 seconds, then if it detects water it closes again)
- Modular Snowpeople: Make snowballs out of snow, stack em up - make custom race heads by adding stuff to the blocks (beakseed beak for avians, coralcreep eyes for hyotl, carrot nose for humans, etc)
- Toggleable Lights: Mysteriously not something you can do in game already. Lights that you can turn on or off with interaction or switches (on = emit particle with glow, off = nope)

I just like having stuff in your house that DOES something useful/fun instead of just being lego blocks.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 15, 2014

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

dog kisser posted:

Yeah, angles are brutal. For the bookcases at least, the top is not the flat top of the bookcase - the top is meant to slope up towards the background, so it forms a triangle against the wall. I'll see what I can do to tweak it, but I'm definitely moving on the the next objects - getting burnt out on bookcases, haha.

How about something like this:
?

The one furthest to the left and the empty one at the bottom row have a slightly more pronounced angle to it than the two to the right in the upper row do, but I think it mostly does the trick. It should also be noted that the blue color of the background makes the angle to the upper right at the end of each bookcase look less sharp than it actually is when viewing this image directly.

dog kisser posted:

edit: Also, anyone have anything specific they want to see? In addition to tables/chairs/couch/beds etc, I want to have some unique stuff:
- Snowmaker: Turn it on, fires a projectile into the air that poofs into snow that falls all over
- Bulkhead Door: Door that closes automatically if it detects water - can be reopened manually when closed (stays open for 5 seconds, then if it detects water it closes again)
- Modular Snowpeople: Make snowballs out of snow, stack em up - make custom race heads by adding stuff to the blocks (beakseed beak for avians, coralcreep eyes for hyotl, carrot nose for humans, etc)
- Toggleable Lights: Mysteriously not something you can do in game already. Lights that you can turn on or off with interaction or switches (on = emit particle with glow, off = nope)

I just like having stuff in your house that DOES something useful/fun instead of just being lego blocks.

Loving the door door and light ideas personally -- something that I also feel is lacking in the vanilla game are "large" doors - there's the glitch wood one but that's about it, and it's just not great for a hangar or garage-like structure.

Edit: Getting the warm fuzzies from feeling helpful now. :)
vvvv

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Inepta Lacerta posted:

How about something like this:
?

The one furthest to the left and the empty one at the bottom row have a slightly more pronounced angle to it than the two to the right in the upper row do, but I think it mostly does the trick. It should also be noted that the blue color of the background makes the angle to the upper right at the end of each bookcase look less sharp than it actually is when viewing this image directly.

Loving the door door and light ideas personally -- something that I also feel is lacking in the vanilla game are "large" doors - there's the glitch wood one but that's about it, and it's just not great for a hangar or garage-like structure.

Excellent - that looks better. I'll use that! Also yeah, large doors are totally doable. Also doors are designed with like three frames of animation, and I'm not sure why - I'll see if I can add more animation, which will make opening big doors/hatches more epic.

• Locked thread