Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If you thought Crysis 2 was only okay you're going to absolutely hate 3. Hell I was a fan of both 1 and 2 and I thought 3 was uninspired and rote as can be. Sure it looks nice but it brings absolutely nothing new to the table whereas 2 at least streamlined the suit powers in a nice way and encouraged different play styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I hated 2 but really liked 3. I think I enjoyed the story more and thought that 2 tried to hold a climax for far too long. Too many places in 2 I just got bored and sprinted through.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Time for some Spring Cleaning!

NULLED PILE:

• Antichamber - I was really enjoying this one for a while, but then hit a wall with this one and couldn't seem to find the solution to it. I'm bummed that I may never beat this one.

• Clickr - I picked this up for really cheap, sadly my reflexes are terrible so clicking all over the screen to pick up combo after combo will never be possible for me.

• Feeding Frenzy 2: Shipwreck Showdown - Part of the PopCap Bundle I picked up for Bejeweled 3. I don't like dismissing a game based on it's looks or even after 5 minutes of playing... but this is terrible, it's like someone made the first evolutionary stage of Spores into a flash game and expects the player to keep going to about 40+ levels. Do not play.

• Light of Altair - Another Bundle game that sadly wasn't interesting to me. You colonise a planet while trying to balance resources, so there might be some enjoyment to be had. Not for me though.

• MirrorMoon EP - I wish I could have enjoyed this more, it's right up my alley as an exploration game which leaves you to make your own discoveries and progress at your own pace. I got stuck and sadly never returned to it. I'd still recommend trying it out though.

• PixelJunk Eden - I absolutely loved this game, sadly I could only get halfway before getting stuck on it's later levels. I'd still recommend trying it out though.

• Probably Archery - I had a coupon for this. I knew I wouldn't enjoy it or be able for it. Why didn't I listen to my gut instinct. It plays out like Surgery Simulator except you're required to act quickly, which is a sin for a game with such janky controls. Not recommended.

• Shank 1 - Enjoyable at the start, the game steadily becomes more difficult in the way Streets of Rage becomes difficult, by throwing more pallet swap guys at you. The Joypad controls are really cumbersome, making wall running really difficult and certain fights nigh impossible to complete. I hope the sequel is better or else it'll get Nulled as well.

Thankfully college is almost over so I'll have more time to complete some games I'm actually enjoying.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

• Fatal Labyrinth / Columns - Had the Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics Collection for a while and decided to play some old games from my childhood. Columns is addictive as hell, I still remember playing it for hours straight. Fatal Labyrinth plays out like a 2D Dark Souls and is far more unforgiving as I remembered. Still though any game that allows you to kill enemies by throwing any item in your inventory (swords, shields, rings, potions etc.) is cool in my book.

• Goat Simulator - I've enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. I may stop playing soon, but I'd recommend checking it out when it's 50% off.

• Mortal Kombat 9 - I'm about halfway through and it's really poor compared to Injustice: God's Among Us, the controls are stiff, combo's don't calculate properly, and there are a tonne of other complaints I could mention once I beat this game. Also screw Goro, overpowered rear end in a top hat!

• Rayman Origins - This is such a breath of fresh air sometimes, a platformer that doesn't penalise you too much for screwing up. I'd recommend it to anyone who has gotten sick of all the recent Mario 2D platformers.

• Remember Me - I was stuck for a bit but I soon got back into a good stride and now am close to beating the game. It's such a great game.

[EDIT]: Spring Cleaning Update:

BEATEN: Goat Simulator - I enjoyed this far more than anyone should. It seems like a joke that should go stale after 10 minutes, yet it's small enough and short enough that you can play it for brief periods and still find some enjoyment each time. I'll probably play it from time to time once new maps come out and new goats are created.

COMPLETED: Remember Me - I loved every second of it, it had the combat of the Batman: Arkham games, the visual styles of Mirrors Edge and an amazing soundtrack. It was a treat to play and even when I was stuck on a tough fight I could take a brief break and come back better for it. Definitely recommend playing it if it's still in your Backlog.

[EDIT(2)]: More Spring Cleaning Updates:

COMPLETED: Ittle Dew - I had abandoned this for a while when I got stuck on a particularly mind boggling puzzle. Recently though, thanks to Card City Nights, I was reminded of how much I enjoy the setting and vowed to give it another shot. It was over really quickly and I was able to defeat the final boss with no real problems. Overall it's a short and enjoyable top down adventure game that's parodies The Legend of Zelda, so your enjoyment may vary.

NULLED: Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition 9 - I think it was my fault for playing Injustice: Gods Among Us first. Everything that is wrong with MK9 was improved upon by that game. The controls are too stiff for a fighting game, I played to over the halfway point (which earned me my only achievement) and the Devs were really grasping at straws to try make the game longer. By far the most annoying bits were the 2 on 1 Tag Battles that are thrown in to screw you over, as the AI will abuse Tag Combos to switch out an injured player for a healthy one as soon as they can. The blocking mechanic isn't reactive enough to allow you to block in time, so you're screwed. I can't recommend this one to anyone, not even hardcore fans of the series or avid fighting fans in general.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 11, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat: Uncharted 3 - got myself a PS3 again and wanted to play the things I missed. I'm not going to say Uncharted 3 is a bad game and there's lots of neat moments and some impressive setpieces but it's sort of an uneven product. It feels like they tried to do too much with the procedural animation so it looks hella janky at times and some of the sections are just a loving mess of weird collision and straight up glitches. Had some awful framerate issues during some cutscenes too which seems to be a common enough problem with no solutions. Also the story was a complete trainwreck.

I still very much like the series but 1 had a much stronger narrative and 2 was just all around a tighter package. I really have no desire to play 3 again or really another one in the series until they mix things up a bit. The new Tomb Raider was a much, much better game.

Nulled: Mercenary Kings - I love the premise, I love the graphics, it's mechanically sound but goddamn is the progression boring as hell. It's just so goddamn repetative and yes I know they tried to be more Monster Hunter than Metal Slug but it doesn't have the depth, charm, or...hunting of Monster Hunter and it certainly doesn't have the brevity of Metal Slug so it lives in some sort of weird in-between. Maybe I'll plink away at it every so often but goddamn I'm sorta bummed on this one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Nulled: Mercenary Kings - I love the premise, I love the graphics, it's mechanically sound but goddamn is the progression boring as hell. It's just so goddamn repetative and yes I know they tried to be more Monster Hunter than Metal Slug but it doesn't have the depth, charm, or...hunting of Monster Hunter and it certainly doesn't have the brevity of Metal Slug so it lives in some sort of weird in-between. Maybe I'll plink away at it every so often but goddamn I'm sorta bummed on this one.

I feel the same way occasionally but it's a game I play for an hour while chicken is in the oven and I'm enjoying it. I strongly suggest not farming it or redoing quests because drops get better the higher rank you get. It's the best pick up and play game in a while but I'll openly admit that I'm biased. Want to make $10 off me easy? Make a half baked game with loot drops and crafting, I'm in until the end. Couldn't tell you how much time I put into Dark Cloud 2.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Completed:
Batman: Tedious Riddler Puzzles City Arkham City - While still a good game with an "open world" setting, I found it inferior to Asylum. Sometimes bigger just means more filler, and that's what a lot of the game unfortunately felt like for me. Combat, and especially the SOUND of punching dudes, was a lot worse than in AA, and felt really unsatisfying at times, although I liked a lot of the upgrades. It seems the devs forgot everything that made the sound of Asylum great and did something "else" in City. It's just "off", like a lot of the punches are softened up, sounding like rubber hitting against rubber, while in Arkham you could almost hear the bone shatter when punching people. I also completed the well enough put together main story (too?) quickly, resulting in me doing some Riddler and Side Mission "chores" after the big reveal/ending of Joker dying, which became quite boring after a while. Anyway, happy to finally have completed it and I would definitely recommend it - I guess it's just a case of Asylum setting the bar so high that to follow up with something better is almost impossible.

In progress:
With Playfire Rewards still doing my decision making for me, it seems I will probably do Fez next, and maybe mix it up with some Dark Souls as well.

On the backburner:
Finding Teddy
Trine (for 100%)
Guacamelee
Oniken

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 12, 2014

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Downs Duck posted:

:words:
With Playfire Rewards still doing my decision making for me
:words:
What does this even mean?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

PosSibley posted:

Play Fire is a game collection website owned by Green Man Gaming. When you enter their rewards beta program, you can earn money for playing games and reaching certain achievements within a set time frame.
They post these goals almost every day and transfer the money you earned to your GMG account that you can then use next time you buy games on GMG.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Time for even more Spring Cleaning, though I know it's more about Nulling games at this stage in order to get to the good stuff.

NULLED PILE:

• Street Fighter IV - After playing Mortal Kombat 9, I decided to try a few of my other fighting games to see if any of them were as fun as Injustice: Gods Among Us. I expected to be humiliated playing Street Fighter IV, as I'm poor at pulling off combos and can't for the life of me remember finishing moves and that's exactly what happened. The game requires that you know your fighter in and out, when to counter, when to unleash a wave of combos and when to spam throws. The Single Player Arcade Mode is pretty much just a series of 1v1 fights that is over after half an hour. In order to Complete this game, I would need to play as every character through the Arcade Mode. The problem is with the precision sensitive moves that require the dexterity of a heart surgeon, there's no way you've have fun with this one unless you're a pro. If you plan on playing this Offline (where online challengers can't invade your game every few rounds) you need to search through the Options to find out how to turn it off. It actually ruined the experience slightly when I was about to win a battle, only to be challenged. I had to exit the challenge menu and Restart the match from the beginning. Not a good move Capcom. :(

• Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - After SFIV, I decided to see if this had made any improvements. Sadly, much of the improvements are slighter faster combat speeds (with the precision move set still in place) and more characters. I decided to see how quickly I could complete one of the Arcade Modes and it turned out it only took 25 minutes. The game seems to suffer from the same problem as SFIV, where a bare bones Arcade Campaign seems to be enough. At least Mortal Kombat 9 tried to pad out its campaign with a terrible Fan Fiction story mode. I'd recommend this a little more over SFIV for faster fighting and more choice.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

• Street Fighter X Tekken - After SFIV and SFIV:AE letting me down I expected this one to put me off of fighting games for a while. Thank goodness for STXT. As someone with very low skills at fighting games, this one felt much more welcoming. Fast paced combat, easy to pull off moves and combos that tie together seamlessly, the Tag system allows for fighters to retreat when almost dead and string together powerful Tag Combos when needed. I completed one Arcade Mode in an hour and never once felt like it was too long or too boring. I remember hearing complaints about the Gem System (which grant buffs or even regain health when activated) yet I think it fits in really well with the fast paced combat. The art style is vivid and suits the fast flow of combat, the backgrounds are alive with action and the soundtrack and sound effects are suitably intense. I would recommend giving this a try over the other Street Fighter games on Steam. My only concern is if they'll still work once Games for Windows Live is shut down all together.

• Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - Decided to try this one again after I got stuck on a mission. This game really should have had a better checkpoint system.

• Alien Breed: Impact - I picked up the Alien Breed Pack a few years back after enjoying Alien Swarm lan games with my friend. This is a pale imitation of Alien Swarm and really highlights how unsuitable the Unreal Engine 3.0 was for horror games. The game almost feels like a benchmark demo for the engine, explosions every few seconds, a sickly green glow over objects and the high intensity bloom added to fires makes me want to get sick. The gameplay itself is too easy, where the pistol can handle most enemies quickly and Credits are everywhere. The game might have wanted me to invest my credits in Grenades or Health Packs, but I poured them into weapon upgrades that would allow me to mow down more aliens. The AI seem to get stuck a lot, so I don't need to worry about them too much. I hope it picks up or else I may leave the other two games in the NULLED PILE.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

PosSibley posted:

Fart of Presto posted:

Play Fire is a game collection website owned by Green Man Gaming. When you enter their rewards beta program, you can earn money for playing games and reaching certain achievements within a set time frame.
They post these goals almost every day and transfer the money you earned to your GMG account that you can then use next time you buy games on GMG.

It's like Fart of Presto says, it looks like this and gets updated on a semi-daily basis:
http://blog.playfire.com/2014/04/playfire-rewards-head-2-head-winner_12.html

As explained earlier in the thread, I use it to decide on which games to play to break my backlog.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Fart of Presto posted:

Downs Duck posted:

It's like Fart of Presto says, it looks like this and gets updated on a semi-daily basis:
http://blog.playfire.com/2014/04/playfire-rewards-head-2-head-winner_12.html

As explained earlier in the thread, I use it to decide on which games to play to break my backlog.
Can I get money for games if I am in America? :wth:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Sure. I think you only have to sign up on Playfire, connect your Steam account and you're ready to go.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Rayman Legends. This is basically more, and more refined, Rayman Origins. That means it's really, really good. There's more stuff to find and it's less obnoxious to find. The last stage of each level is a musical Canabalt stage. The Hell Temple bonus worlds basically all of those, but with all the checkpoints removed and with horrible, distracting video filters applied. I have no idea who thought that was a good idea. I have even less of an idea who thought it was a good idea to have one of said filters be "dissolve the entire screen to static during the parts where you need to do jumps or attacks, and did I mention that we removed all the checkpoints?" Fortunately, those don't gate anything important.

Each level has four tiers of rewards for collecting Lums (think Mario coins) in each stage. The third tier unlocks remixed versions of stages from Rayman Origins, and there's something like 30 of those stages. I got a good chunk of them, and I have a decent chance of actually unlocking all the playable levels. If I manage to do that, I think I could call it Complete.

BEATEN: Joe Danger 2: The Movie. Bundle trash. I'd call this a half-hearted Excitebike clone except that it's more about surviving obstacles, getting collectibles, and punching out monkeys on jetpacks. I'd also have called it NULLED except I beat it (well, unlocked and played through the credits sequence) while earning card drops.

ON DECK: Might and Magic 8: Day of the Destroyer. When RPG adventure calls, Might and Magic has answered me for quite a few years. I got the series (except for 9) off of GOG years ago and I've been slowly working my way through them. Once I beat this, I can consider getting Might and Magic X.

ON DECK: Shadowrun Returns. I haven't seen a whole lot of this one yet, but I will admit that I've liked what I've seen. I hear the Dragonfall campaign is way better but that's just more reason to play the default campaign first.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Some recent developments as i continue through my backlog
with the max 3 active games and the fortune cookie method.

First things first, some trophy whore games completed
- .detuned (PS3)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (PS3)
- Megamind (PS3)

Completed
- Saints Row: The Third (PS3) and all three DLCs: the PS+ on all DLCs discount was greatly timed
- Jak 3 HD (PS3): collected all precursor orbs using the known 'recollect same orb' glitch
- Noby Noby Boy (PS3): pretentious turd, wtf Namco
- Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons (PS3): Ico with two sons (sic), ok with me.

Currently Playing
- Sports Champions (PS3): Impressed with Archery and Table Tennis accuracy, rest of events not so much.
- Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail (GOG): Still at Blood Peaks, running out of water...
- Heroes of Might & Magic V (Steam): Heroic difficulty, Inferno campaign (2nd) on the third mission.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I haven't played Noby Noby boy since we got to the moon, what planet are they on now?

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Uranus i think.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did you really just call Noby Noby Boy pretentious?? It's one of the most sincerely lighthearted and goofy games ever made.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Did you really just call Noby Noby Boy pretentious?? It's one of the most sincerely lighthearted and goofy games ever made.

Eat things, grow in size and empty in girl's mouth.
Oh, and love.And warm.And a fuzzy feeling.
Pretentious.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Nellistos posted:

Eat things, grow in size and empty in girl's mouth.
Oh, and love.And warm.And a fuzzy feeling.
Pretentious.

That is not what pretentious means.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pretentious

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

While I absolutely loved noby noby boy I also get how it might not be for everyone, but I don't know that calling it pretentious is fair.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

It tries too hard to convey something much greater than the sum of it parts like
eccentric control scheme, farting and katamaring.

Or, quoting the dictionary:
''making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction''
''Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.''

Or, just not for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I completely forgot Playfire was a thing. Signed up last year, linked my accounts, haven't gotten any credit on my GMG account but it's an excuse to go through some junk in my profile.

Beat this poo poo

South Park: The Stick of Truth: Awesome game for South Park fans and people who love simple RPGs like Paper Mario and Costume Quest. Stupid easy but this is the right amount of fan service without getting in the way of being an enjoyable game. First game I 100% since San Andreas.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Forgot I needed to beat all the main games before MGS5 but I'm in no rush until there's something concrete on Phantom Pain. It's fun watching Kojima get better and better at game design. Each iteration has fewer cheap deaths, fewer bottomless pits, and fewer cameras chilling out in annoying locations.

Metal Gear Solid 3: The culmination of everything learned over a decade. Other series get worse, have their road bumps, axe features, or change the core gameplay but Metal Gear compounds on everything established in prior installments. *mwah* perfect.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: This game was mind blowing in 2002. In 2014 it loving sucks. The first half is decent old school shooting but the last two chapters are filled with prone, camoflauged snipers with no muzzle flash or tracers that will hit you with perfect accuracy through trees and can reload faster than you with the same weapon. I activated hard mode and powered through it to receive the 10 second ending cutscene followed by THE END.

Wolfenstein (2009): Decent FPS with ridiculous weaponry and limb dismemberment. It's a load of fun walking up to a group of nazi's with a shield up and vaporizing them with your tesla cannon.

Go away

Dwarfs?!: I got an hour or two out of it and that's all I need. I like the concept, I'd like to see it fleshed out into a deeper game, but there's no real strategy or depth to keep me coming back.

Team 17's games: Worms was one of those defining computer lab time wasters of the 90s. Now it's a relic of the past and I have no one to play with.

Warlock: Not a bad game but it doesn't give me the nostalgia of Age of Wonders or Masters of Magic and there's not a lot of content to keep me coming back.

Poker Night/Poker Night 2: Won a tournament. Don't like card games so I'm good.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just finished Fallout: New Vegas on Hardcore. Great game, will replay again soon, kinda burnt out on it right now though.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Beat: Van Helsing, a Diablo clone.

Pros: Looks and feels like an AAA game. Beautiful scenery. Outstanding UI. Rock solid in execution. Useful companion who not only fights for you, picks up stuff and sells them, but participates in conversations, and is also funny. Inexpensive.

Cons: DLC-happy. Item and skill progression curve is very flat and thus kinda boring. Wish all the monsters didn't come in swarms. Last half more grindy than the first.

Overall this was a good game, but could have been a REALLY good game with a little better designed progression mechanics.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 20, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

al-azad posted:

Warlock: Not a bad game but it doesn't give me the nostalgia of Age of Wonders or Masters of Magic and there's not a lot of content to keep me coming back.
Warlock 2 just came out, and I'm really hoping it's gonna have more substance than Warlock 1, because I wanted to like Warlock so badly, but there was just nothing there.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Another week, another update.
I have started to use PlayFire as my Backlog Game DeciderTM, as you typically get £0.10, just for launching the game and if there are achievements, I try to get at least the first one, as it's a nice motivator and forces you to actually play the game.
If you want to friend me on PlayFire, my profile is https://www.playfire.com/Fart_of_Presto (underscores replaces spaces)

Nulled: 99 Levels To Hell
A cheap Spelunky clone without the charm and keeping the most annoying thing: Limited time on each level.

Nulled: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Getting older means not enjoying this kind of entertainment anymore. As I've mentioned before, when I've nulled other horror games, I was a huge horror/splatter fan in the 80s, but I just don't enjoy being scared shitless anymore.

Nulled: Astro Tripper
I enjoyed Defender in the arcade a lot more than this one.

Nulled: Bad Bots
A platform shooter I ended up playing for 2 hours before goon Kuule hain nussivan and I agreed that it was pretty poo poo. It didn't even have cards...

Nulled: The Ball
A pretty cool FPS gravity gun puzzler, where you move a big rear end ball around, at least until you had to fight some zombie/mummy army. Why couldn't it have stayed with puzzles?

Nulled: Euro Truck Simulator
I got this with ETS2 and was fully aware that it wasn't as good. When it showed up on PlayFire, I thought to give it a go. Definitely more "arcade-y" , and while I have my ETS2 settings on "Full Arcade" it just wasn't worth spending more than a 15 minutes on it.

Nulled: Gun Monkeys
I liked the style and music. Too bad it's a multiplayer only game and all the servers were dead.

Nulled: Lunar Flight
I had hoped it was more of an arcade/action game than the sim-vibe it gave. The only achievement I got from this is "Crashed" which fits perfectly with how I tried to fly my lander - probably because I skipped the tutorial.

Beaten: Saints Row 2
gently caress Yes! I'm so happy I spent the 30 minutes it took to install Gentlemen of the Row and the speedfix (use the beta that has autodetect!) Suddenly there are a lot more things, especially in SR4, that makes sense.
It's also the first time that I didn't go for a 100% completion in an Open World game (always try, almost never succeed), but that was mostly due to knowing a lot of the activities from the later incarnations and not enjoying playing them.
I did end up with a 78% completion rate, but finishing the main story was enough by then. I tried to get the 3 extra missions working and even looked up how to activate them, but I never got the phone numbers, even though the cutscene said I got them.

Nulled: Section 8: Prejudice
A GFWL game I needed to check before time runs out. So, CoD: Mechasuit is basically what it is. Being led around and always being told to follow the others, even though you are the bad rear end, is kinda annoying. I gave it a bit more than an hour in the campaign, but it wasn't enough for me to stay.

Nulled: Trainz Simulator 12
This is supposed to be the bad one of the train sims, but I actually ended up playing for 100 minutes and having a decent amount of fun. I guess it just reminded me of me and my dad playing with model trains back in the 70s.
Now I'm actually looking forward to playing Train Simulator 2014.

Nulled: Volt
Very cool graphics style but felt like it would work better on a touch screen.

Nulled: Worms Pinball
It was probably OK back when it was released, but goddamn it's a bad game now, when you have games like Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 to compare with.

Nulled: Worms Blast
A Bubble Shooter-clone that is immensely bad but gave me £0.10 to try.

Nulled: Worms Armageddon and Worms Reloaded
Why did I once enjoy Worms/Lemmings games? I have no clue. Probably because they were cool on the Amiga, but there is absolutely nothing related to fun in these games today.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 24, 2014

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just finished playing Gemini Rue, and as an adventure game connoisseur, it was pretty loving amazing. I used a walkthrough because I have a horrible condition that causes me to violently burst into flames when I try to solve moderately difficult puzzles using my brain, but the story and atmosphere and art and just about everything was fantastic. Except for the combat sequences. Having picked up the game after leaving it in my backlog for a week or so, I remembered gently caress-all about how the combat worked, and even when I got the hang of it again, it wasn't very fun.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Been having trouble keeping focus on any new games.

COMPLETED: Rayman Legends. I've unlocked and traversed every level. The only things left are time attacks and scavenger hunts and I don't really care about those... especially since getting all the levels meant doing the full scavenger hunt on paintings.

NEW GAME: The Blackwell Epiphany. Basically a pre-order firing off. I really liked the other Blackwell games, time to get in on the ground floor for once.

NEW GAME: FRACT OSC. Myst/Tron hybrid based around programming synthesizers...

COMPLETED: FRACT OSC. ... which turned out to be exactly what I needed after an unusually rough week.

IN PROGRESS BUT NOT GETTING ANYWHERE: Might and Magic 8; Shadowrun Returns; Gemini Rue; Blackwell Epihany; Half-Life. At some point I'll be able to deal with words and/or shooting things for more than 10 minutes at a stretch, but until then these aren't getting much progress.

Half-Life in particular has been kind of embarassing because I'm not doing very well even just navigating the Office Complex chapter.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Oknytt: Very nice adventure game. The voice acting for the main character reminded me too much of the infamously annoying Sadwick's from The Whispered World, but otherwise a very solid game.

Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure: Decent adventure game of the other sort - i.e. Myst-like puzzles (I guess? I don't know what the right word/description for this type would be). Some are standard stuff you've seen millions of times before, but others were new (at least to me). I'm not a huge fan of this type of game, though, and to my great shame ended up consulting UHS a few too many times to my liking. This puzzle particularly, and the solution to it (turn all knobs to 'up'!), felt like the devs had just given me the finger.

One Finger Death Punch: Super fun, but feels really long despite only having played it 3.7 hours. There are so many levels I sometimes felt like I wasn't making progress. Beelined to the boss on the easiest difficulty and am calling it done, though I may go back every now and then.

S.P.A.Z.: A huge grind. I'm surprised I stuck it out til the end (32.4 hours), but it was fun overall. There are some niggling issues and it's way too long but overall it's pretty good. Hopefully they iron out the issues for the sequel. It makes me wish Escape Velocity was on Steam, though.

I also gave up on Starseed Pilgrim because I couldn't even beat the first screen and was getting annoyed with it for some reason. I feel like I don't have the patience to figure out obtuse games like that nowadays, and in general I've had trouble motivating myself to start new games so this doesn't help. I usually just end up playing Spelunky again, which is actually totally fine.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 28, 2014

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I just checked and I've just come to my second anniversary on Backloggery :toot:

In the space of a year, I have Completed 14 games and Beaten 20 games as well, as Nulled probably twice as many.

Timeline:
Completed: Ittle Dew
Completed: Remember Me
Beat: Goat Simulator
Beat: Bejeweled 3
Beat: Escape Rosecliff Island
Beat: BookWorm Deluxe
Completed: South Park: The Stick of Truth
Beat: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Completed: Card City Night
Completed: Afterfall Insanity: Extended Edition
Completed: Mars: War Logs
Beat: Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Completed: Lilly Looking Through
Completed: Steamworld Dig
Completed: Broken Age: Part 1
Beat: Primordia
Beat: Burnout Paradise : The Ultimate Box
Beat: Ducktales Remastered
Beat: Injustice: Gods Among Us: Ultimate Edition
Beat: Batman: Arkham Origins
Beat: E.Y.E - Divine Cybermancy
Beat: Batman: Arkham City
Completed: Gone Home
Beat: The Stanley Parable
Beat: Papo & Yo
Beat: Fez
Beat: Faerie Soltaire
Completed: Splice
Completed: Thomas Was Alone
Beat: Medal of Honour: Warfighter
Beat: Gunpoint
Completed: Little Inferno
Completed: Deadlight
Beat: Game Dev Tycoon
Completed: Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

Thankfully I just submitted my last project and will probably get into some more games during the summer.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - This is such a great Zelda game. I'd definitely put it as a contender for top three in the series. They got the mechanics of Link to the Past spot on, and the additional mechanisms don't feel gimmicky at all. If I didn't own a 3DS already, I would seriously consider buying a used one just for this game.

Beat - Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina DLC - There's a reason so many people love Tiny Tina as a character, and this DLC wraps it all up into one awesome package. There are so many tiny details and tongue-in-cheek references in this campaign that will tickle any fantasy lover's fancy. It also has a pretty great story going on. Like any Borderlands game, though, I don't know if I would've enjoyed it solo.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Spent some time trying out a few games that gave credits on PlayFire and as usual its both a sad story of nulling the poo poo out of them and at the same time feeling good that they are off the backlog.

First a few I finished though.

Beat: The Blackwell Legacy
I don't really know why I've never gotten around to play the Blackwell games until now, as I love these kinds of adventure games, and this one didn't disappoint. A great short old-school indie adventure game that had some decent voice talent, which was a pleasant surprise.
No puzzles were too hard or messed up and keeping the locations and number of characters to a minimum also meant the developers could focus on the story at hand.
Blackwell Unbound is already ready to go next.

Beat: Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississippi
It's probably the best Hidden Object series around (not counting the first MM - that one really shows its age), and there are lots of extras when you finish the game.
Good mini-puzzles and lots of HO scenes.

Beat: Shadowrun Returns: Dead Man's Switch
I finally finished the main campaign and must admit it was a bit of a fight. I've never fallen asleep while being in the middle of a conversation in an RPG before. I did this several times while playing this campaign.
It was just so boring and uninspiring, but everyone keeps telling me that Dragonfall is so much better than the main campaign, you can't even compare them.
I love the Shadowrun universe, loved the gfx style they went with, had lots of fun when finally in combat and also felt the Dead Man's Switch story was overall OK as an introduction to the new game. But everything just felt so lifeless when you couldn't go bother people and examine every nook and cranny for useless crap. It was also so extremely linear that I almost fell out of my chair, every time a semi-sidequest was introduced, which happened 3 or 4 times during the full game. And except for the few merchants and Coyote, there were absolutely no characters you felt anything for.
I'm looking forward to Dragonfall, but if the devs don't up the game, I fear we won't see any more official campaigns, and I honestly haven't heard that there are good ones in the Workshop yet.

Nulled: Cargo Commander
This was actually a pretty fun little game where you have to attract space crates to your spacestation and loot them for valuables, all while fighting aliens and upgrading your equipment.
But just like Spelunky and 99 Levels to Hell, I really dislike the timelimit on each level. I would enjoy jumping around and trying to get all the crap in each and every box, if not for that cheap trick of having a timer attached to the game.

Nulled: Darksiders II
I never liked the first one, and this one I only played because it was featured on PlayFire. Well, I ended up having a decent amount of fun but also decided that as soon as I died, there was no restart - just uninstall. Considering I play all these types of games the exact same way: Charge against the enemy and frantically click left and right mouse button while forgetting to dodge once in a while (probably also why I'm so lovely at Dark Souls), it's amazing I was able to stay alive for 100 minutes.

Nulled: Hero Siege
I had a good few hours of fun with this rogue-like and I'll probably come back to it again, as it had, at least for me, the right level of difficulty, so I both felt really challenged but kept moving forward bit by bit.

Nulled: Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise
Playing the first few levels was pretty fun as there were only 2 moves. Then more moves got introduced and I quit. Ugh, I'm just not good at these combo brawlers.

Nulled: Metal Slug 3
Only played it for half an hour and then my quota for that game was used up. I'm not sure if it was just because the lovely D-pad on my 360 controller couldn't shoot diagonally, I couldn't figure out how to do it on the stick or the keyboard, or if those games just don't interest me anymore. Loved the graphics though, and it's probably pretty fun as a couch coop game.

Nulled: Millennium - A New Hope
I got cards and 10 cents from PlayFire, let's just leave it at that.

Nulled: Operation Flashpoint: Red River
I've never really played any tactical shooters before (tried a bit ARMA 2 but quickly gave up), and since this is about to go tits up due to GFWL, I gave it a try.
I should probably not charge against the enemy and frantically click left and right mouse button while forgetting to dodge once in a while, because I played it like I play Quake, and I've never been that good at Quake, so the terrorists won...

Nulled: Serious Sam 2
drat I had forgotten how much of a let down this game was when I originally played it back in the day.
While the original SS was cartoony in the way the game was over the top, SS2 is Disney on acid, but it's definitely not a good trip.

Nulled: Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
That's more like it!
It was great seeing more of the original Sam, all dressed up in HD. I've never had the intention of playing through the campaign again, so it was just a bit of fun and some PlayFire money.

Nulled: Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
The SS RPG. Got bored very quickly, but a fun little gimmick.

Nulled: Subject 9
A really lovely isometric shooter that, while pretty in the screenshots, is absolutely rear end.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Well with GFWL on the chopping block I went out and did what many others did and went through any game on my backlog that could possibly be made unplayable by the GFWL removal.

Beat: Bulletstorm - I didn't expect much from this one, since third person shooters tend to bore me, but Bulletstorm is really something different. While the actual gunplay was mediocre, using the leash made it pretty fun to combo kills together. The environments and set pieces in this game are really amazing, I was genuinely impressed at times, atleast for a 3 year old linear shooter.

Nulled: Red Faction Guerrilla - It seems Guerrilla is already broken. :( Although a separate issue not related to GFWL, and probably an issue with my machine rather the game itself. It simply would not load any save file I made. So unless I wanted to sit down and play through this all in one sitting (which I didn't), or I wanted to reformat my machine (which I definitely didn't), I'm kinda SOL. I didn't really expect much from the late game anyways, I figured it would get a bit repetitive, as open-world games tend to do. Nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed my time running around Mars smashing everything to bits, helped with a recent breakup.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 10, 2014

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I finished CoJ: Gunslinger and although the clunky aiming (I'm not sure why I felt it clunky, but i did) took some getting used to, i ended up enjoying it a lot. Now I'm trying to beat my Steam friends (actually Mr. Odin, which happens to have the highest scores from my friends list)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Trine 2 Complete Story: Very much the same as the first - good graphics, fun gameplay, and most puzzles can be cheesed by stacking a bunch of boxes on top of each other.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
As long as in co-op you can still be an rear end in a top hat wizard and fly people into traps that sounds good to me.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Beat the great Dark Souls some time ago and I'm still playing it now, with a new character. That should be testament to how good it is.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Completed: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I've never played the regular Far Cries but sources tell me Far Cry simplifies things, mainly by having most takedowns unlocked from the start. Suits me just fine. Reminds me a bit of Just Cause 2 giving you a huge island with strongholds to trash, but with combat mechanics closer to Dishonored than JC2. A good game.

Completed: The Swapper

Man the story is depressing when you finally piece together what's going on. And then the ending makes it even worse. Anyway, a solid puzzler, well worth the price of the Humble Bundle it was in.

Completed: Type: Rider

I'm bad at platformers and this still wasn't really challenging at all. Reading about the history of Comic Sans was interesting.

Completed: Dishonored (including Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches)

The only downside to this series is that I can't ever go back and replay the main game because the Daud DLC spoiled me by being so much more tightly designed. Minimal cutscenes, no half-dozen trips to the Hound Pits. Yes, I'm thirty, my time is limited and I want my games short and sweet.

Completed: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Most of you know how this one goes. Arcade-y FPS with the narrator (you, retelling the events you play out in the game) talking pretty much constantly, rewinding the action to tell us what really happened after the audience gets their misconceptions out of their system. Scenery falling out of the sky once the narrator tells us it exists. Stuff's great. The plot twist is telegraphed hours ahead of the reveal, but that's probably intentional.

And then it puts you up against guys in drab clothes shooting from behind foliage with near-perfect accuracy, and when you see the muzzle flashes so you can pinpoint them it's too late because you don't have a ton of health. It just feels like a weird choice in such an arcadey game. Didn't stop me from finishing it twice, but there sure were a lot of reloads.

Currently playing: Lots of Crusader Kings II

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Almost on my holidays, time for some fun games!

BEATEN: Street Fighter X Tekken - I absolutely enjoyed this game over all the other PC Street Fighter games. Everything just seems to come together, the combo system is solid, the music is great and there's some great balance between all the fighters. Shame there's no Eddy Gordo. :(

BEATEN: The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 - I wasn't at all familiar with the Fables comics so I hesitant buying / playing this one. But I've got to admit it does a heck of a job pulling you into it's weird world, the Fables Pages feature that explains things as you unlock them is great. The game is all you'd expect from the TellTale Team, great voice acting, solid narrative, weird bugs and those drat QTE sections where you need to mash the A button despite the fact that the game clearly wants you to lose in that section. I'm definitely going to play through the whole series.

Currently Playing:
  • Shadowrun Returns - The addition of manual saving is a blessing as this game becomes unforgiving during the later levels. How am I getting my rear end handed to me?
  • The Wolf Among Us - Moving onto Episode 2, it's looking to be a good one.
  • The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 3 is coming out TOMORROW, I seriously can't wait!
  • Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate - The combat feels so clunky, I'm really getting sick of having to go into Detective Vision and stare at an object for about 3-4 seconds before the Bat Computer can tell me if it's useful. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
In today's episode of "Clearing Out My Backlog...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - I played this game a long time ago and ever since have gone through periodic phases where I think it's a good idea to fire up and run through again. I almost never make it past Taris. I finally manned up, sat down, and burned through a light side playthrough over a weekend. Still a fun game (once you get past Taris, seriously screw that place).

Call of Duty - Another game that I have on a long lost CD somewhere. Burned through it in a day.

Dead Rising 2 - Another installment in the GFWL Going-Out-of-Business bonanza, I really enjoyed this title. I always enjoy stumbling onto a psychopath and even saving survivors (despite being glorified escort missions :argh:). Shame I won't get to play DR3 since it's on :xbone:

Red Faction: Guerrilla - Space rear end in a top hat, the game. I'm in your house, knocking out the support beams! Shines when you're just wantonly breaking poo poo with a hammer but an otherwise unimpressive campaign. Fun fact: The only series I've managed to start without my crippling OCD about release order kicking in, requiring me to play the first two titles first.

Serious Sam 3 - Somewhere around halfway, I just suddenly stopped having fun with this. Not sure what that's about. Cut the difficulty way down and ended up just running through to the end of each level as fast as I could.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Taking advice from a poster in this very thread, I nulled the remaining DoW 1 expansions and moved on to two. Much more fun game without the RTS build-a-base elements. Thanks for the advice, goon!

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Good ideas, awful execution. Terrible camera, terrible controls. The platforming was fun when the stars aligned and everything was cooperative. Glitchy too - a few jumps where things were perfectly aligned but the prince would suddenly teleport five feet to the side of whatever we was jumping to and fall to his death, or a few where the next room wouldn't generate (leaving him suspended in permanent fall animation as he slid further and further away from the camera in total darkness).