Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

Your brain seems to have broken. Don't worry, mine does this all the time.

It's 2014, 2015 model year, a 2007 is an 8 year old car. If this were the year 2000, it would be a 1992.

I hate when I do this and I swear it's something about the year 2000. I have to keep reminding myself that even cars from 2010 are now coming up on 5 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

How concerning is this? I'm planning on having the shop give a PPI, but I imagine a lot of cars at this stage have degraded Suspension bits, even well maintained ones. I also suspect the shop would have convinced him to get it fixed if the problem was bad.

Suspension related stuff I generally look at as if it's been done, then great, if not, then I'm mentally adding up how much it's going to run and trying to take at least some of that off of the purchase price.

Realistically, most cars you look at, unless owned by an enthusiast, aren't going to have the suspension refreshed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Suspension is never a deal breaker for me unless it's broken but as mentioned it's a great bargaining chip.

Worn suspension is just a great excuse to get new awesome suspension bits.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
And if you have the ability, suspension work is pretty drat cheap. I can get literally every bushing for an e36 or e46 for about 400 bucks total. ~250 for aftermarket springs and 6-700 for decent dampers. I love doing suspension stuff.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Awesome. Looks like I've probably found the one and I'll be able to negotiate the price down a bit. I've got a shop with a lift so suspension should be a breeze to do on my own, compared to jack stands.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Front suspension, at least on the E34, was a pleasure. It's just wide open at the front with lots of room. Struts can be detached from the hub with three big bolts. Not sure if they still make them like that.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
A note on 135i/335i/535i cars -

2007-2010 had the N54b30. This was the twin turbo power plant and is typically regarded as the stronger engine. It responds better to mods.

2011+ is the N55b30. This is a single turbo engine. It doesn't have the turbo related issues that the N54 does, but doesn't respond as well to mods and the motor falls off after 5500rpm REALLY hard.

The turbos on the N54 have some problems. The waste gates on the turbochargers wear, and end up rattling. It starts as an annoying noise but can eventually lead to loss of boost pressure as the waste gates can never fully shut.

The turbos have an extended warranty till 8 years / 82k miles. If out of warranty, your options are $1500 or so for turbos from Vargas that fix the issue, or $3000 for some upgraded turbos from RB Turbo that can hit 550whp+ and spool about as quickly as stock ones.

The HPFP has an extended warranty till 10 years / 100k miles. It seems like the latest revision of the pump has alleviated the issue. Also, as a preventative measure, you can upgrade the LPFP for $100 and take some of the effort off the HPFP.

Injectors had a habit of going bad. They need to be purchased in sets of three for $150 a piece.

That's about it, really. I think there are some VANOS related issues with the N55 though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Thank you for that rundown. I'm looking 07-08 330/335/530/535 I think.

Hoping for at least cold weather and premium sound. Manual vastly preferred after trying a 08 328i with the auto.

Heated steering would be the tits in WA.

I get the feeling it'll take some time and a handful of test drives to both narrow in on what I really want out of a BMW and what is available. So many packages available in different combos.

Sorry if I poo poo up this thread with basic questions over the next month while I search and learn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
BMW should be announcing the details of a recall pretty soon. It is suspected to affect N55s. It's related to VANOS bolts shearing off and it ending up not good for the engine.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWbGx_BJVvM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ucNBRaBYs

:catstare:

I think... I think I have a winter project.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much of a difference aside from size is there with the 3-Series vs. 5-Series?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Spiffness posted:

Thank you for that rundown. I'm looking 07-08 330/335/530/535 I think.

Hoping for at least cold weather and premium sound. Manual vastly preferred after trying a 08 328i with the auto.

Heated steering would be the tits in WA.

I get the feeling it'll take some time and a handful of test drives to both narrow in on what I really want out of a BMW and what is available. So many packages available in different combos.

Sorry if I poo poo up this thread with basic questions over the next month while I search and learn.

335s aren't really that bad for reliability. Mine has nearly 70k miles on it now and has been in the shop a total of 3 times for very minor issues.

Also, try a 335 with the auto if you're going to be doing a lot of commuting. It's vastly superior to the one in the 328. The 328 uses a GM transmission while the 335 uses a ZF. It's much much better and in manual mode, responds to the paddle shifters immediately unlike most auto transmission cars. It's also switches gears far faster than one could with a manual transmission.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That depends. If the 3 is like the 1,it has a dct transmission if it has the n55 motor.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

That depends. If the 3 is like the 1,it has a dct transmission if it has the n55 motor.

No, I'm specifically talking about the N54 cars. The ZF transmission is very good. It's not quite DCT fast, but it's close, and shifts extremely quickly and smoothly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

How much of a difference aside from size is there with the 3-Series vs. 5-Series?

The 3 series is the economy model, and shows it.
The 5 series is the executive model, and shows it.

You see a lot of 3 series owners trying to justify their ownership by clinging to outdated concepts like manual transmissions and such.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. A 5 series has larger engine options (V8s), more gadgets and gizmos, and more legroom. They're also heavier and not as popular for Motorsports use and often have more expensive repair and operating costs associated with them being a more expensive car.

Powershift posted:

You see a lot of 3 series owners who buy them solely because it's hard to find fun to drive RWD cars that come in manual from any other brand that aren't 20 years old by now.

FTFY

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 14, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm lining up a few tests of 08-09 535i's. Want the sport, premium and cold packages.

Still trying a 528i base tomorrow to get a baseline before trying some bells and whistles versions.

Quite excited. The 535 seems to tick all my boxes and fits the budget nicely. Looks like good examples in Seattle are 60-80k miles and 21k-23k. Anyone know if you can add the HUD easily if it didn't come with the car?

Thanks for all the info and help so far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. A 5 series has larger engine options (V8s), more gadgets and gizmos, and more legroom. They're also heavier and not as popular for Motorsports use and often have more expensive repair and operating costs associated with them being a more expensive car.

FTFY

See, he thinks it's a racecar, when really it's just the civic of the BMW family.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

See, he thinks it's a racecar, when really it's just the civic of the BMW family.

Considering the car I had before my 330 was a Civic, I can confidently say you can go gently caress yourself with a Honda crank pulley removal tool. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't you have a GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM to overhaul?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Anyone know if you can add the HUD easily if it didn't come with the car?

Absolutely not.

edit: in my market, the HUD is standard. I thought it was standard in US/Can too. Part of the premium branding of BMW compared to Germany where it's just an average sedan, so they get them without the nice stuff (no HUD, cloth seats, steel wheels, no NAV, no radio even) if they want it.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 14, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah, that's even better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The 3 series is made from proven technology that should last quite a while. The 5 series is made from technology that came from the 7 series and might not last as long. The 7 series is full of all the newest things possible designed to last until the rich guy who bought it trades it in on a new one a couple years later.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

The 3 series is made from proven technology that should last quite a while. The 5 series is made from technology that came from the 7 series and might not last as long. The 7 series is full of all the newest things possible designed to last until the rich guy who bought it trades it in on a new one a couple years later.

The 5 series is built like a tank, and the electrics are never anything to worry about. But the "built like a tank" shows in its weight... but they are excellent highway cruisers, have a few of the extra comforts that 3 series (civics) don't get. I have always been a 5er guy anyways, I find them way more comfortable.

But starting with the E90, they have started to bloat into the size of the 5 series, the 5 series is bloating into the 7 series, and the 7 series is turning into Chrysler LeBehemath.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

I'm lining up a few tests of 08-09 535i's. Want the sport, premium and cold packages.
Anyone know if you can add the HUD easily if it didn't come with the car?

3/5 BMW car sizes and a Camry per various sources.

The new 5 is a fantastic, solid, quiet and refined highway cruiser, but they didn't fix the electronic steering until 2014 so if you hop into a 2011-2013 right from an E90/E46/E60 you will be shocked and chagrined. I personally could never get over the funky exterior of the E60 but they are great to drive and way more sporty and stiff than F10. Get a PPI and budget future maintenance accordingly.

I don't think you can get HUD retro'd in there without a crippling amount of expense.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 14, 2014

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The HUD pretty much sucks. Also doesn't work with polarized glasses.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lovely, I let my E46 sit for a long weekend while out of town. Start it up this morning and the dash shows a red battery light along with a whole christmas tree of other lights. It hesitated to crank so I'm hoping it's just a non-charging battery (current one is pretty old probably due to be replaced), but reading about what other things it could possibly be on forums is like using WebMD to diagnose your cough.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Guinness posted:

Lovely, I let my E46 sit for a long weekend while out of town. Start it up this morning and the dash shows a red battery light along with a whole christmas tree of other lights. It hesitated to crank so I'm hoping it's just a non-charging battery (current one is pretty old probably due to be replaced), but reading about what other things it could possibly be on forums is like using WebMD to diagnose your cough.
The e46 seems to be highly susceptible to battery/starter/alternator/voltage issues. I've had a couple problems with my 330Ci due to that stuff. The worst is when the transmission went in to limp mode while driving on the highway because the starter was going out. It sucks, but it might be worth taking to a shop to get it diagnosed before dropping cash on repairs that might not be necessary.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

For anybody doing front struts on an e46 (and probably other BMW's), this may come in handy. After a few weekends of pissing about with the wrong tools, I've finally found stuff that works.

Firstly, normal spring compressors can't compress it enough, but this type works:

I bought it for £85

A normal spring compressor was handy to get the spring straight to seat nicely, though.

Secondly, the top bolt was a pain, but a cheap box spanner sorted that:

Bought them for about a fiver.
I kinda hosed it up hammering a spanner on, but it managed both sides fine so I don't mind if I have to bin it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The e46 seems to be highly susceptible to battery/starter/alternator/voltage issues. I've had a couple problems with my 330Ci due to that stuff. The worst is when the transmission went in to limp mode while driving on the highway because the starter was going out. It sucks, but it might be worth taking to a shop to get it diagnosed before dropping cash on repairs that might not be necessary.

I ran to NAPA during my lunch break to pick up a new battery since I figure that's going to be step 1 of any troubleshooting. As far as I can tell the old battery was the original OEM battery from 10 years ago which is frankly amazing that it lasted that long. Dropped in the new one and the car started right up without any warning lights. Hopefully that means the end of it, we'll see when I drive the 8-10 miles home later today...

Dead-as-a-door-knob battery would explain a lot. The car sitting for 5-6 days with the alarm armed was probably the nail in the coffin. It hesitated a ton starting up this morning, but just barely got going and lit up the dash. Trying to start it up again later it was totally dead. A near-death battery might also explain the couple of random gremlins I've had over the past few months where the TC/DSC warning lights would come on randomly (rarely) and then disappear with the systems resuming normal functionality.

When I have more time later today I'll put the car in test mode to monitor the voltages more closely.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

extra comforts that 3 series (civics) don't get.

:laugh:

Speaking of 5s, how easy is it to pop the grilles out of the hood of an E39? Any pointers? I got some Dr.Colorchip to try and it'd be easier without the grilles.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
It's easy. There's 6 tabs (2 on top, 2 on bottom, and one on either side) per kidney grill. The trick is to pull the grill toward you slightly as you work the tabs out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's also BMW plastic, so you're probably going to break all 6 tabs. my grilles are held in by electrical tape wrapped around the body of them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

stump posted:

For anybody doing front struts on an e46 (and probably other BMW's), this may come in handy. After a few weekends of pissing about with the wrong tools, I've finally found stuff that works.

Firstly, normal spring compressors can't compress it enough, but this type works:

I bought it for £85

A normal spring compressor was handy to get the spring straight to seat nicely, though.

Secondly, the top bolt was a pain, but a cheap box spanner sorted that:

Bought them for about a fiver.
I kinda hosed it up hammering a spanner on, but it managed both sides fine so I don't mind if I have to bin it.

I've never had issues with normal spring compressors on BMW struts. But to be honest, I stopped using them for disassembly. The foot on the spring with an impact gun for the strut nut actually works well :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Doesn't the strut go flying?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I've never had issues with normal spring compressors on BMW struts. But to be honest, I stopped using them for disassembly. The foot on the spring with an impact gun for the strut nut actually works well :v:

Definitely needed for refitting with OEM non sport springs, I think the eibachs, and possibly sport springs may be easier due it being shorter uncompressed though. Had an absolute nightmare with my normal compressors, ended up having to also use a sketchy rear end mini bench vice to put it back together last time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

voltron posted:

It's easy. There's 6 tabs (2 on top, 2 on bottom, and one on either side) per kidney grill. The trick is to pull the grill toward you slightly as you work the tabs out.

Powershift posted:

It's also BMW plastic, so you're probably going to break all 6 tabs. my grilles are held in by electrical tape wrapped around the body of them.

I saw the tabs, glad it's that easy. I was hoping there was a secret trick to keeping them intact. :ohdear:

revmoo posted:

That's part of the fun (or at least it would be, I'm in a suburban area without the down-range freedom a strut release requires).

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo posted:

Not as much as you'd expect, a couple feet at most.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Crustashio posted:

I use an impact on the nut with a strap wrench on the strut piston, works awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Crustashio posted:

Not as much as you'd expect, a couple feet at most.

Really? Can you reassemble them as well?

I thought a spring compressor was an absolute requirement for doing oem struts.