Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So, is Hampshire and Sussex really the arsehole of England that I am led to believe it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Southampton is.

Being the naval base from which the RN will, ah, sail.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Koramei posted:

His environments were nice enough I guess in a kind of eerie way but there is a conspicuous absence of people in them.

Basically it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect someone who went down his path to produce.

Oh there's a good reason for that. Hitler's main interest was always architecture, in that light, people were only statists in his pictures (which were often copies of famous paintings) if there were any. That's why he could connect to Speer on a human level. He also told him numerous times that he should have become an architect (I'm quite sure most people would agree with that). I doubt that he would have been very successful. He would have been the kind of architect that designed great cities, delivered great concepts. They just wouldn't have been meant to be inhabited by humans, or really anything living.

There's a number of impossibilities in my statements, as Hitler never would have submitted to formal education. He was so sold on the idea that he was a misunderstood genius that he couldn't allow himself to be successful in the real world or by any trade.

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that he was a bum out on the streets and 25-some years later the chancellor of Germany on the way to uncontested, absolute power in a modern nationstate. Think of that when you see the next bum.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The fearsome pike square has been adapted here for modern, more sensitive viewers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUKuUFAdgKs

Where is the pike square and what are those guys doing there?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 13, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JaucheCharly posted:

Oh there's a good reason for that. Hitler's main interest was always architecture, in that light, people were only statists in his pictures (which were often copies of famous paintings) if there were any. That's why he could connect to Speer on a human level. He also told him numerous times that he should have become an architect (I'm quite sure most people would agree with that). I doubt that he would have been very successful. He would have been the kind of architect that designed great cities, delivered great concepts. They just wouldn't have been meant to be inhabited by humans, or really anything living.

I should note that Hitler also drew people, not just buildings and landscapes.

Hmm that posterior reminds me of something...

Finnish post office announced stamps celebrating Touko Laaksonen aka. Tom of Finland. Relevant because he served as a lieutenant in WW2 and attributed his uniform fetish to those years, especially the appearance of his German brothers in arms. Thanks, Hitler!

quote:

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that he was a bum out on the streets and 25-some years later the chancellor of Germany on the way to uncontested, absolute power in a modern nationstate. Think of that when you see the next bum.

And Stalin was a seminary dropout-cum-bankrobber.

If I had been either of them, I'd have ordered my propaganda machinery to produce big budget action-packed blockbusters of my early exploits. Sergei Eisenstein's "Six-Shooter Dzhugasvili In Siberia" would be a cult classic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

If I had been either of them, I'd have ordered my propaganda machinery to produce big budget action-packed blockbusters of my early exploits. Sergei Eisenstein's "Six-Shooter Dzhugasvili In Siberia" would be a cult classic.

Brezhnev was pretty shameless about this, but I don't think his trilogy made it on to the big screen. Lots of paintings though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Nenonen posted:

And Stalin was a seminary dropout-cum-bankrobber.

At least there's some kind of manly action. Hitler's early years are only cringeworthy. Ben Stiller would make a GREAT young Hitler.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Capitalist Fatcat (in terror): "What are you doing?"

Josef "Stalin" Stalin: "Seizing the means of production" *shoots capitalist*

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm taking a trip to Bangkok later this month. Any milhist related spots (or just good spots in general) that the thread would like to recommend?

MMMmmm... Try and find the Jade Buddha Temple. It's not milhist per say, but the Thais looted it from the Laotians, (well, Kingdom that would be Thailand stole it from one of several Laotian kingdoms) which is still a point of contention between nationalists of the two countries. I remember a few museums with nationalistic propaganda about this-one-time-we-beat-up-the-Burmese and stuff like that. Dioramas of generals of opposing armies dueling each other elephant to elephant.

Mostly Bangkok is good for the temples though. That and the street riots these days. Take the river taxis at least once.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'd visit the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Bacarruda posted:

Not Rangers, but US Army Special Forces and attached USAF Combat Controllers used horses during the 2001-2002 fighting in Afghanistan and still use them today.

For a more insane example of horse soldiering...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luZtl2J3sR0

sorry to revive the horse_chat.txt but the PAP (peoples armed police) has 2 cav battalions for border patrol

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Trench_Rat posted:

sorry to revive the horse_chat.txt but the PAP (peoples armed police) has 2 cav battalions for border patrol

Don't they also use crossbows for maximum oldschoolness?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Trench_Rat posted:

Nothing beats the Chinese police on Segways with MP5s photograph ever.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

wdarkk posted:

Don't they also use crossbows for maximum oldschoolness?

They'd rather use composite bows. Where are these guys from? They look like Uyghurs or Uzbeks.

Horsechat is good. Speaking of fleet horses, falcons at your wrist and the wind in your hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Recently I bought Bemmann, Jan (2012): Steppenkrieger. It's a book about the nomadic people in Mongolia and North China from the 7th to 14th century (There's also an exhibition in Germany about this running atm, the book is about the stuff that's on display)

They're discussing the best finds from gravesites that they made so far, lots of pictures and a few chapters by guys who took their time reconstructing certain pieces of equipment. A bow, quiver, arrows, including a variety of heads and a harp. The quiver looks interesting, I think I'll give it a shot and try to build one. That type was in use for a long time all over the Steppe and China. The most notable feature is, that the arrows are stored upside down. It looks like this:

Sadly, the book is in german, and you certainly feel warm while you read it. The pictures of the nature there look like there's constantly cold wind blowing. A real shithole.

e: blast it LOUD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YgmQJkFcJY

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 13, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

JaucheCharly posted:

They'd rather use composite bows. Where are these guys from? They look like Uyghurs or Uzbeks.

Xinjiang, so yeah probably. I thought they were phased out though? Just relatively recently compared to most cavalry.

Using horses in China's northern and northwestern regions really makes perfect sense even today.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Horsechat is good. Speaking of fleet horses, falcons at your wrist and the wind in your hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Recently I bought Bemmann, Jan (2012): Steppenkrieger. It's a book about the nomadic people in Mongolia and North China from the 7th to 14th century (There's also an exhibition in Germany about this running atm, the book is about the stuff that's on display)

They're discussing the best finds from gravesites that they made so far, lots of pictures and a few chapters by guys who took their time reconstructing certain pieces of equipment. A bow, quiver, arrows, including a variety of heads and a harp. The quiver looks interesting, I think I'll give it a shot and try to build one. That type was in use for a long time all over the Steppe and China. The most notable feature is, that the arrows are stored upside down. It looks like this:

Sadly, the book is in german, and you certainly feel warm while you read it. The pictures of the nature there look like there's constantly cold wind blowing. A real shithole.

Can you post pics from the exhibition? And why were the arrows stored upside down?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I wasn't there and the google image search doesn't yield much. I could take pictures of the book, but that's a nono.

They built this:

The arrows are upside down to protect the fletching from moisture. Animal glue isn't waterproof.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There must be a cover that isn't pictured? What else would stop water from pooling in the bottom?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

There must be a cover that isn't pictured? What else would stop water from pooling in the bottom?

Holes?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

1909 y'all.

Post historical inspired music? Don't mind if I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xt181Nf7Po

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But then moisture would get in through the bottom...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Btw, the reason why asked about cavalry was that the author in that work about warfare on the indian subcontinent states that Babur introduced ottoman tactics to the theater. He writes about the sultan's redoubt in a way that I never heard of. Instead of trenches or earthworks it's waggons manned with archers and musketmen. The waggons are tied together with chains or ropes of rawhide. It's called the 'rumi' (Rumelia) way, and apparently was introduced by ottoman artillery experts that Babur hired. It's described as laager, like the ones that the hussites used.
Ahh, a tabor! :neckbeard:

That's a more eastern Central Europe thing. Like you said, the Hussites did it, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth did it, the Ottomans did it, and the Russians did something very similar with flat things of wood on wheels. Despite the name, which I think refers to "Rome," I don't think the Germans ever did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laager

Did you know that your own familiar Taborstraße does not refer to the medieval word for drum?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

That's a more eastern Central Europe thing. Like you said, the Hussites did it, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth did it, the Ottomans did it, and the Russians did something very similar with flat things of wood on wheels. Despite the name, which I think refers to "Rome," I don't think the Germans ever did it.

Did you know that your own familiar Taborstraße does not refer to the medieval word for drum?

The Ottomans were the Romans.

*moonwalks out*

(There's a big, semi-recurring semi-serious kerfuffle in the Rome thread about 'true Romans' and the ERE, I've settled on the Ottomans as the bearers of the mantle, since they fit the criteria that the ERE seems to.) But seriously, probably the most famous Persian poet and one of the most famous medieval Islamic spiritual thinkers and the founder of the tradition that, among others, counts the famous whirling dervishes as its adherents is usually referred to as 'the Roman.' At least by the people who don't just call him 'the Master.'

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

The Ottomans were the Romans.
As the successors of Constantinople, yes they are, but it's also their word for people/things from the HRE.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One more milhist podcast recommendation for whoever was asking: thehistorynetwork.org does a lot of these 20-30 minute episodes on random important battles across history, including more obscure ones such as the Battle of Poltava or Plassey.

Their latest episode is one of my favorite tales of WWI, that of von Lettow-Vorbeck's campaign across East Africa
http://thehistorynetwork.org/1609-lettow-vorbeck-and-the-defence-of-german-east-africa/

To pivot off the horse discussion, they also did a great episode on just how not-motorized the German Army in WWII really was
http://thehistorynetwork.org/1510-horses-in-the-wehrmacht/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

The pictures of the nature there look like there's constantly cold wind blowing. A real shithole.
:what:
Except for the lack of mountains, it's much prettier than your country, which is...dark and strange-looking and full of water. Central Asia reminds me a little of the most beautiful place in the world, which (by sheer coincidence) is where I'm from.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Hegel I love Central Asia but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's a cold and miserable place to live. My aunt is Kazakh and my thoughts when I'm there go from "how beautiful" to "gently caress poo poo it's windy and horrible" in about the time it takes to step out of the plane.

edit: of course Central Asia is also the largest geographic region in the world so

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

Hegel I love Central Asia but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's a cold and miserable place to live. My aunt is Kazakh and my thoughts when I'm there go from "how beautiful" to "gently caress poo poo it's windy and horrible" in about the time it takes to step out of the plane.

edit: of course Central Asia is also the largest geographic region in the world so
I've never been there, I just miss dry and open places with plenty of sunlight. I have no idea whether it's like New Mexico, it just looks a little like it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

I've never been there, I just miss dry and open places with plenty of sunlight. I have no idea whether it's like New Mexico, it just looks a little like it.

It's closer to Nebraska or the Dakotas except without the cornfields.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was naming all my Spartan cities in Alpha Centurai after famous battles, and I realized I didn't really know much about the military history of non-European countries. If I lived in China or India or Latin America or so on, what would my Normandy and Waterloo and Agincourt be?

e: vv that's why!

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 14, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

HEY GAL posted:

Come to the Canadian Prairies. It's North America's central Eurasia, complete with a terrible continental climate.

StashAugustine posted:

I was [playing] Alpha Centauri...

gently caress yeah. Utterly off topic, but if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2grKk4Fv0k

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

PittTheElder posted:

The bottomplate has holes that are used for fixing it to the side. Water could get out that way. The back of the mouth also has holes to fix the birchbark and leather to a woodplate that reinforces the side that faces the carrier. My bet is that there was a piece of oiled leather or birchbark attached to cover the mouth. Other quivers of that type extend upwards like this:

HEY GAL posted:

I was only aware that it meant some kind of fortification. That area beyond the Danube was meant for elements that weren't welcome in the city. Like Gypsies, convicted criminals, jews and lepers.

The pictures that I meant look like this, it's the Altai mountains. Mongolia has alot of mountains, but also open places that will make your head spin, because they look so empty:

New Mexico sure is beautiful. Btw, recently I saw a docu about the Tarim mummies:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

The pictures that I meant look like this, it's the Altai mountains. Mongolia has alot of mountains, but also open places that will make your head spin, because they look so empty:

New Mexico sure is beautiful.
God, that's lovely.
German cities are so full of people it feels like I can't walk, or like I can't breathe. (Like in New York, back when I lived there.) We're all used to what we're used to.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

As the successors of Constantinople, yes they are, but it's also their word for people/things from the HRE.

I just meant linguistically, east of Anatolia 'Rumi' often refers to Anatolia in general. Ergo why subcontinental sources might describe tactics borrowed from the Ottomans as Roman. Of course, the Ottomans likely borrowed it from the HRE too soo... I dunno. Could be either, could be both.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

StashAugustine posted:

I was naming all my Spartan cities in Alpha Centurai after famous battles, and I realized I didn't really know much about the military history of non-European countries. If I lived in China or India or Latin America or so on, what would my Normandy and Waterloo and Agincourt be?

I'm curious about this question too. For Russia the answer might be Kharkov, Borodino, and the Battle On The Ice. Every culture has a famous battle that marks the first big counterattack in a long war, the downfall of a feared enemy, and a decisive victory against overwhelming odds. Surely non-Europeans have versions of all these that get used in rhetoric as much as English speakers use D-Day and Waterloo as idioms.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about last stands? All I can think of are the Alamo, Thermopylae, that one in Gaul where the Celts counter-besieged the Romans and lost anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alesia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What about last stands? All I can think of are the Alamo, Thermopylae, that one in Gaul where the Celts counter-besieged the Romans and lost anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi
http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Battle_of_Saragarhi

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
There's so, so many. Camarón is quite famous.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

For Japan look into the first kamikazes (the windy ones) or the victories of Oda Nobunaga/Hideyoshi/Tokugawa. For Korea those times they beat up Japan. (Dragonships!) For China, probably a lot of good romanticized battles in the Three Kingdoms. Or something like Talas Ain Jalut or the Horns. For Africa you might look at Zulu victories or Ethiopian history.

I'm blanking South and South-East Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Alesia?!? I don't know where Alesia is! No one knows where Alesia is!

• Locked thread