Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Remember discussions about how Kickstarter could be used as an effective tool for money laundering? Because that's what the atomic watch thing seems like to me. Who are these 8 people who would pay $6,000 for an ugly-as-sin, ultra-high-maintenance watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rosalind posted:

Remember discussions about how Kickstarter could be used as an effective tool for money laundering? Because that's what the atomic watch thing seems like to me. Who are these 8 people who would pay $6,000 for an ugly-as-sin, ultra-high-maintenance watch?

Check out the watch thread in YLLS, or WatchUSeek (I think that's what it's called, the watch collecting sperg forum). There are people who care way too much about watches, and for a lot of those people a $6000 watch is a cheap watch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rosalind posted:

Probably the same kind of people that would put down 10k on something retarded like the OUYA. There's no shortage of truly stupid people in the world, and some have money to burn.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Rosalind posted:

An ugly-as-sin, ultra-high-maintenance watch that no one else can own. That makes it more fashionable, somehow.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So I watched this movie called Key last night. It was an alright thriller but during the credits I noticed that there were Kickstarter backers. Low and behold, the movie was Kickstarted. The one thing I notice is they state the money is going to fixing the sound and fixing dialogue. Neither was fixed in the finished product.

I should also mention it was on one of these multi-movie discs you find at the grocery store.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I bet they only raised $500 and somebody kicked in $3k to bring it to exactly $3,500 (which means they only got $200 after fees)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I bet they only raised $500 and somebody kicked in $3k to bring it to exactly $3,500 (which means they only got $200 after fees)

Based on the pledges listed on the left, they raised $2,050 from 15 people. That leaves $1,450 coming from 3 people who didn't choose a pledge reward.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I don't think you guys appreciate just how huge and hideous this watch is

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Does he mention what the advantage is supposed to be over a watch that connects to one of the official (and much more accurate) atomic clocks?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tippis posted:

Does he mention what the advantage is supposed to be over a watch that connects to one of the official (and much more accurate) atomic clocks?

There's a com port on there with which you can synchronize with one of those clocks, and then you've got perfect time for three to four hours. Suck it, pleb. :smug:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

There's a com port on there with which you can synchronize with one of those clocks, and then you've got perfect time for three to four hours. Suck it, pleb. :smug:

*sucks it, and then arrives in time for the last train home 8 hours later while the other guy is still window-shopping and waiting for the time-to-go-home alarm to sound*

:eng101:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Only a poor who can't afford an atomic watch the size of a deck of cards would have to take the train. :smugbert:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fatkraken posted:

I don't think you guys appreciate just how huge and hideous this watch is

I might make a cake the first time someone wearing one of these gets assaulted by a member of law enforcement, because good LORD you could not make that look any sketchier if you tried. I don't know if I should wear that or bury it under a highway in Fallujah.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I might make a cake the first time someone wearing one of these gets assaulted by a member of law enforcement, because good LORD you could not make that look any sketchier if you tried. I don't know if I should wear that or bury it under a highway in Fallujah.

8 people were put in Guantanamo Bay because of this watch, let's see if the power of crowdfunding can surpass that.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://pando.com/2014/04/12/healbe-...wd-for-over-1m/

Ignoring how sketchy this calorie counter product is, Indiegogo comes off as super scummy, even more so than if they just acknowledged they had no interest in policing campaign content.

quote:

Throughout the entire campaign, Indiegogo maintained its silence on Healbe — only referring journalists to earlier general statements that, as a disinterested platform, Indiegogo has no responsibility for the scientific authenticity of devices promoted on it. But as other journalists began asking the company to explain how its fraud algorithm could possibly have approved Healbe, Indiegogo finally took decisive action…

…on April 3rd it quietly deleted the anti-fraud guarantee from its website.

On April 10th, Healbe finally pushed past $1m in donations. As I reported earlier this week, the donation which pushed Healbe over its $1m threshold was made by Kate Drane, Indiegogo’s own head of hardware. Pando confirmed with several other Indiegogo fundraisers that Drane frequently plays an active role in recruiting new campaigns to the site, undermining the company’s claim to simply be an impartial platform.
"To date, the Healbe team has been responsive and cooperative with our inquiries. Their campaign continues to follow our trust guidelines and they have voluntarily offered refunds upon request."

Further throwing its lot in with Healbe, Indiegogo’s marketing and communications head Shannon Swallow took to the comments section on the Healbe page, thanking customers for their support and linking to Rubin’s statement.

Guess that $40k fee is worth it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

8 people were put in Guantanamo Bay because of this watch, let's see if the power of crowdfunding can surpass that.

To be fair, that's a pretty ugly watch.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Only 8 Atomic Roadside Detonators have been made, so at best it's a tie.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Isn't just having an analogue clock display gonna introduce way more noise/inaccuracy than the added accuracy from the atomic nature of the internals anyway? the mechanical motion has to be transmitted through a bunch of physical components made of materials that bend and deform, even if it's only be fractions of a percent. gently caress, just the time it takes for a signal to the brain from the eyes and get processed into the abstract concept of "time" is probably orders of magnitude bigger than the difference in accuracy between this watch and a really good quartz movement or radio-synched watch. Atomic clocks don't exist to tell people what time it is, they exist to measure really really short times or to measure poo poo like distance using the difference between two clocks and the loving speed of LIGHT. It's like weighing yourself with scales accurate to 1/100,000,000 of a gram, spurious accuracy that means nothing on a human scale.

I mean, obviously it's one of those deliberately pointless things that you just own for bragging rights/as a novelty, but it's SO big, SO ugly and SO expensive that even that intangible benefit is massively reduced.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's more than just an intangible benefit. It's also the only benefit.

This is a watch somehow LESS useful than just taping an actual atomic clock to your wrist and HOLD THE loving PHONE this poo poo already exists. Awesome. Thanks, Kickstarter, in a world where Amazon is a political force to be reckoned with you excel at sometimes letting people buy things from nutjobs looking for a quick buck.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It's more than just an intangible benefit. It's also the only benefit.

This is a watch somehow LESS useful than just taping an actual atomic clock to your wrist and HOLD THE loving PHONE this poo poo already exists. Awesome. Thanks, Kickstarter, in a world where Amazon is a political force to be reckoned with you excel at sometimes letting people buy things from nutjobs looking for a quick buck.

Those aren't actual atomic clocks, those are radio-set watches duder.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
My bad, for some reason I thought the watch synched up during its charge period. That's what I get for not reading the product description. :butt:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

My bad, for some reason I thought the watch synched up during its charge period. That's what I get for not reading the product description. :butt:

Yeah like, the whole reason the thing is so massive is because they built an actual atomic clock mechanism in it. Which requires a ton of bulk to do it right, hence the reason everyone's been fine with their wristwatch being a quartz crystal with maybe an automated check-in to radio time sources.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Are there atomic clocks for your wall or desk? Those would be kinda cool and you can plug those in, of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Are there atomic clocks for your wall or desk? Those would be kinda cool and you can plug those in, of course.

In practice, you could buy one of these ridiculous wrist mounted one, keep it on its charging base forever, and have a small desk atomic clock.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think this is an atomic clock and stereo... Maybe? Still cost 6 grand.

http://www.littlefishaudio.com/antelope-audio-master-clocks-isochrone-10m-rubidium-atomic-clock.html?gclid=CLa6-vu0370CFZFcfgodPyEA6w

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cool, but still too expensive. :( I wonder how many dumb audiophiles think they need such a clock for a better listening experience. And I also wonder how much a sensible price for such a clock would be. Maybe $1000 or $500?

Lucy Heartfilia has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Apr 14, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

If you glued a wrist strap to it it would probably look better than the Kickstarter one.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

It's not a stereo. It's just a clock. It's a time source for audio recording. You wouldn't really use it for listening unless you were really really insane. The whole reason you use a clock similar in function to that one is that you have a bunch of different pieces of gear in the chain that are processing an audio signal and recording multiple tracks from multiple sources at the same time. So you need a master clock to keep everything in sync. This clock is pretty hilarious because the whole idea of the master clock isn't really to provide the current time in the current time zone. It's basically just a really fancy metronome that all the devices you're gonna use sync themselves to so that you can be certain that there's no weird artifacts caused by audio drifting between different tracks.

They can get kind of expensive because audiophiles are dumb, but $6,000 seems even worse than usual. I'm kind of glad I didn't end up being an audio engineer. It's loving insane how much unscientific bullshit there is in a profession that kind of requires you to learn a bunch of concrete science and engineering to be a decent professional at it. I had a professor explain quantization/digital audio/audio codecs perfectly then turn around and talk about loving audiophile CD player bullshit the next day. I don't understand how it happens.

So in audio playback you absolutely do not need one of these unless you're an audiophile or insane person. I guess that's redundant! Also, it's been a number of years since I did my audio engineering courses so I might be wrong about the details here. Someone should correct me if that's the case.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Apr 14, 2014

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The radio-updated wristwatches are also potentially more exact than the atomic one, since any national time institute would have at least four atomic clocks - with one you don't know if it's accurate, neither which one of two, so you need a third to know if any are out of sync. Plus a fourth as a backup.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Cool, but still too expensive. :( I wonder how many dumb audiophiles think they need such a clock for a better listening experience. And I also wonder how much a sensible price for such a clock would be. Maybe $1000 or $500?

Well most "atomic" clocks just receive radio waves from far more advanced atomic clocks. They cost like $10. I'm pretty certain that those clocks would be more correct than your own household atomic clocks. They also have the advantage of being normal clock sized instead of brick or 2 brick sizes. And the radio clocks have battery lives of months to years.

Which makes that kickstarter that much stupider. But if you want to pay 600 times more for a worse clock that is twice the size and 1/365th the battery life, there is an option for you.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Shwqa posted:

Well most "atomic" clocks just receive radio waves from far more advanced atomic clocks. They cost like $10. I'm pretty certain that those clocks would be more correct than your own household atomic clocks. They also have the advantage of being normal clock sized instead of brick or 2 brick sizes. And the radio clocks have battery lives of months to years.

Which makes that kickstarter that much stupider. But if you want to pay 600 times more for a worse clock that is twice the size and 1/365th the battery life, there is an option for you.

Awful Kickstarters: Paying 600 times more for something worse

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Speaking of wrist-mounted devices, here's a $200 snake-oil metre that raised over a million bucks.

Great reporting on it here.

And here's the only thing the company's produced even resembling a scientific paper. Pay special attention to Figure 1, in which they show their devices predicted measurements vs actual, and produce near-perfect two-dimensional Gaussian noise (ie no correlation whatsoever).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Speaking of wrist-mounted devices, here's a $200 snake-oil metre that raised over a million bucks.

Great reporting on it here.

And here's the only thing the company's produced even resembling a scientific paper. Pay special attention to Figure 1, in which they show their devices predicted measurements vs actual, and produce near-perfect two-dimensional Gaussian noise (ie no correlation whatsoever).

on this very same page with the very same links, do you even read this thread bro?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Fauxtool posted:

on this very same page with the very same links, do you even read this thread bro?

Yeah it was lost among hundreds of posts about atomic wristwatches. Bro.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have no idea whether this is awful or brilliant. I leave it to your discretion.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Bad Munki posted:

To be fair, that's a pretty ugly watch.

Woah woah woah. I've owned one of those in some form since I was a kid.

It's a fine watch.

It lights up!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I'm going to go with “yes”.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

The evil dead musical is great! As long as they can get a good Ash that is

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

What, they just need money to put on a production of the Evil Dead musical? The musical's been around for like ten years, so I guess they just licensed it and need money for the special effects.

I think a local theater near me was doing a production of it, too. Or at least I was recently talking to my wife's parents about it, anyway, can't remember why.

What I watched of their pitch video seemed kind of entertaining at least. If someone is local to the area, I guess it wouldn't hurt to give them money to get a better production of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

That's a real musical that already exists, written by this guy:

https://twitter.com/georgereinblatt

I guess the kickstarter is for a local production of it.