Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Did the new patch break audio for anyone else? The music isn't looping for me anymore; once the first track that plays during the main menu ends, it's just dead silence from there on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I turned off the music long ago. Much as I like it, those same 4 or 5 songs over and over get really grating after a while.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jabarto posted:

Did the new patch break audio for anyone else? The music isn't looping for me anymore; once the first track that plays during the main menu ends, it's just dead silence from there on.

Just the game's way of reminding you that the correct way to play dominions is without sound.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Oh man I'm super hyped to play this. How often does the game go on sale? I saw there was a pretty good deal a couple of days back.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

AXE COP posted:

Oh man I'm super hyped to play this. How often does the game go on sale? I saw there was a pretty good deal a couple of days back.

I think Steam has had the game on sale once and Gamersgate has done it like... thrice, at least? I imagine it'll go on sale often from now on.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Summer sale will arrive soon so I imagine then if not earlier.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Just check this every now and again.
I wish I'd known about it earlier, to be honest.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just the game's way of reminding you that the correct way to play dominions is without sound.

Okay, but do you actually know anything about this?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Presumably caused by whatever they did to stop battle music looping if you 'q''ed out as it was loading (I've had the music off since before the game hit 4.00, so I have no idea how common that was).

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Question: Do spell bonuses(like +damage, +number of effects, etc.) get measured from the level of skill above the minimum skill required, or the level of skill above 1?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Eschatos posted:

Question: Do spell bonuses(like +damage, +number of effects, etc.) get measured from the level of skill above the minimum skill required, or the level of skill above 1?

Extra skill above the requirement.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Jabarto posted:

Nope, it's probably a bug.

Eschatos posted:

What's displayed in-game is at the minimum level of the spell.

If you're modding, you start from zero.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Just a reminder that soysauce, basically, and literally are ready to for you to upload your pretenders to. Make sure you have the latest version of the mod and that your pretenders actually work with the current version!

Anyone who hasn't uploaded that can't contact through IRC or whatever by Sunday will probably be booted out because I'm a real impatient child

e: And I'm still accepting people for them too, if you want to join in! So do stuff, and things, I guess

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 11, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

garth ferengi posted:

Just a reminder that soysauce, basically, and literally are ready to for you to upload your pretenders to. Make sure you have the latest version of the mod and that your pretenders actually work with the current version!

Anyone who hasn't uploaded that can't contact through IRC or whatever by Sunday will probably be booted out because I'm a real impatient child

e: And I'm still accepting people for them too, if you want to join in! So do stuff, and things, I guess

Literally has already started, by the way. (I just submitted my first turn.) Was that a mistake?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Nope, everyone had their pretenders uploaded for it, the other 2 are waiting on 2 people and they'll be good to go

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 12, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I suppose I'll post about it here, too:

The spiritual successor to Dominions 11 and CBM is out! Dominions Are Dumb is an enhancement for Dominions 4 designed to improve diversity of options without falling into the trap of making everything so over the top that we're back where we started, or worse. You can read the PGS post for it here, where you can also download it and find info on the 3 games I'm hosting.

Here are the titles of all changes in Dominions Are Dumb:

quote:

--Additional Natural Attacks
--Agarthan Blunt Resistance Addition
--Armor Revamp
--Axe Changes
--Blunt Weapon Secondary Effect
--Boulder Improvement
--Bows Improvement
--Brand Debuff
--Chaos Recruitment Buff
--Charge Bonus Addition
--Enkidu Horn Helmet Addition
--Item Viability Enhancement
--Light Lance Replacement
--Luck Enhancement
--Range Tweaks
--Shrink and Enlarge Swap
--Spell Additions
--Spell Debuff
--Spell Viability Enhancement
--Unit Size Changes
--War Horn Addition

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Hah, most excellent. My turn 1 expansion strategy payed off. This is going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

As expected, things went swimmingly! Low hp loss, essentially no risk for afflictions. All hail the mighty magikarp!

W-wait what.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
We talked about it in the irc, but for anyone still ooh-ing and awe-ing over the Carp, it is actually a pretty big trap. Gentleman is playing a modded game where the pretender is slightly better, but the stock values are simply unfeasible without some heavy gearing - 5 defense skill means regular 10 attack skill dudes have an 82% chance of hitting you, and length 0 weapons means your attacks will constantly be repelled. The low astral requires you pump points into it so you don't die to magic duel, increasing the cost of the pretender immensely. I'm all for trail blazing new strategies or using less-than-optimal units, but the Carp is pretty near the bottom of the pretender list where cost efficiency and benefits are concerned.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 13, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What would be some of the best pretenders, then?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Dragons are solid for just awake poo poo kicking. The human Pretender chassises got shat upon because the Titan/Neter/Teotl ones have great paths and stats.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Gentleman posted:

W-wait what.

Must be indigestion.

I am curious what happened though. You can see in the screenshots that he still had no affliction by the time the indies were routing, how could he have gotten them after?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

NewMars posted:

What would be some of the best pretenders, then?

Whatever pretender is going to perform a role you want, and do it as efficiently as possible. I say the Carp is terrible because it comes out of the gate with several leaky holes that have to be patched up, and patched up expensively, before you can even do anything with it - it costs 218 points just to buy it and get astral 7 so that it doesn't die to magic dueling, before you even put any more points into water magic. Then you have to think about gearing it in ways that make up for defiencies other pretenders might not have, like the poor protection and defense skills. The Carp doesn't give you a whole lot since Tien Chi already has methods of going underwater, and the combined water and astral paths don't synergize very well when the best spell to use it for (Heavenly Rivers) can be cast by your stock mages without any difference.

You need to be looking for ways to get as much usage out of your pretender as possible, in as few points as possible. I've had two Ashdod games where I had an Annunaki of the Underworld do nothing but cast Reanimation every turn, and it worked out very well for me, because I planned around having a slim pretender who filled a niche better than my nation could do.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
OTOH, Water is a good bless for EA Tien Chi, and Yomi and Shinu both benefit from him opening up paths. Jomon wants him to lead troops underwater. He's not an SC, but then again most of the titans aren't.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you're not taking a fountain with max scales and dom4 you're not living right. :shepface:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Must be indigestion.

I am curious what happened though. You can see in the screenshots that he still had no affliction by the time the indies were routing, how could he have gotten them after?

I'd guess he walked into a disease site, failed the roll and then got screwed. At least TC has disease healer so it's not a catastrophe. I've had it happen to dragons and other SCs without any healers available. Be careful if you see unexplained death scales.

Repel isn't a big deal on the carp assuming you stick some armor on him. He will ignore the actual repelling part due to pretender morale and if you have thick enough armor you can generally ignore the little mans trying to poke you.

He does absolutely require gear to function, along with a bunch of points sunk into him for awe and enough S to avoid magic duel. Like Mr Bims said, outside of a novelty option he's not a good chassis. The vanilla version doesn't even have fear to synergize with awe and make it easier to clear indies.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 13, 2014

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kitfox88 posted:

If you're not taking a fountain with max scales and dom4 you're not living right. :shepface:

This can only result in PD.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I'd guess he walked into a disease site, failed the roll and then got screwed. At least TC has disease healer so it's not a catastrophe. I've had it happen to dragons and other SCs without any healers available. Be careful if you see unexplained death scales.

Repel isn't a big deal on the carp assuming you stick some armor on him. He will ignore the actual repelling part due to pretender morale and if you have thick enough armor you can generally ignore the little mans trying to poke you.

He does absolutely require gear to function, along with a bunch of points sunk into him for awe and enough S to avoid magic duel. Like Mr Bims said, outside of a novelty option he's not a good chassis. The vanilla version doesn't even have fear to synergize with awe and make it easier to clear indies.

That would explain it, I see now that the province has a random death 1 on it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

MrBims posted:

it costs 218 points just to buy it and get astral 7 so that it doesn't die to magic dueling

I thought Mental Duel had a chance of success no matter how high the opponents skill was. And is it really that huge a concern? Everyone acts like having Astral on a pretender is an automatic death trap, but it only ever comes up against enemies with Astral mages, and even then not all battles will have them.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Jabarto posted:

I thought Mental Duel had a chance of success no matter how high the opponents skill was. And is it really that huge a concern? Everyone acts like having Astral on a pretender is an automatic death trap, but it only ever comes up against enemies with Astral mages, and even then not all battles will have them.

Magic duel is decided by comparing S skill + d6, lower result dies. And yes, it's a pretty huge concern if your opponent has astral mages or finds astral indies. Think of it like this: All your opponent has to do to kill your god is drop a few hundred gold and a dozen pearls. Yes you won't see them in every battle, but you will see them in the battle you needed to win.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's no exploding die in Magic Duel, so you can be immune to mages of a certain level. But your opponent may be able to field mages with enough S to still have a chance. If he wants to risk the cash investment on s2 or s3 mages.

Yeah, it's a spell that will only come up sometimes. But it's a huge risk for a unit as important as an SC pretender. Particularly if you don't have priest-mage researchers to recall with.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I'll grant that I'm moving the goalpost here, but it's fine to have low-level Astral on a pretender that won't be realistically be fighting anything, right? If I have a rainbow pretender that will spend most of his time sneaking around the countryside or forging stuff am I risking anything by add Astral 1 or 2 for the path diversity?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Magic duel is decided by comparing S skill + d6, lower result dies. And yes, it's a pretty huge concern if your opponent has astral mages or finds astral indies. Think of it like this: All your opponent has to do to kill your god is drop a few hundred gold and a dozen pearls. Yes you won't see them in every battle, but you will see them in the battle you needed to win.

Can you magic duel all commanders/mages or just astral ones?

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Jabarto posted:

I'll grant that I'm moving the goalpost here, but it's fine to have low-level Astral on a pretender that won't be realistically be fighting anything, right? If I have a rainbow pretender that will spend most of his time sneaking around the countryside or forging stuff am I risking anything by add Astral 1 or 2 for the path diversity?

Seems fine, early game they'll wander around site searching before magic duel/teleport are researched, then mid-late game they'll be sitting in your cap forging things.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jabarto posted:

Dominions players have a tendency to exaggerate everything to the extreme. Is having astral on your pretender a potential liability? Yes. Does having it mean that every turn a dozen mages will spam magic duel you and you will spend literally every turn for 100 turns dead? No.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jabarto posted:

The moment I see you throwing a heavy S1 around, like your pretender, I'm going to recheck all my provinces for astral indies (there are two reasonably common ones), and if I come up empty, I might consider empowering just to duel you, if I think it might end up the least expensive way to destroy you.

So yeah it is an automatic death trap if you ever put your pretender anywhere that I can see his paths. Even hiding him in your cap is not the best option in the world, because assassins exist. Good luck having bodyguards who can kill before the magic duel comes out.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 13, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If your pretender is never leaving the lab or if it is a flimsy human that can be easily killed a million other ways then astral on your pretender doesn't matter much. If your pretender is a big fat combat chassis you've opened up a huge way to easily kill him off by giving him astral magic. A way that can only be mitigated by empowering him in astral or not making that mistake in the first place.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

You're risking them getting dropped on by a teleporting astral mage and killed if you don't have any Astral-using pals to come with. That's the risk. Some nations have a much more credible teleport threat than others. Bandar Log and Rlyeh can wreck your day. Nations with a lot of S1, like Ermor or whoever, not so much, since you'll see them coming a mile away.

You also have to ask yourself what you're getting out of just taking S1. You aren't going to be summoning other Astral mages with that, and you won't have all that many uses for the gems.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The moment you start thinking, "Well, there's not much chance of so-and-so happening, so I should be good," you are setting yourself up for failure. Winning in Dominions isn't about having a plan that might kind of work maybe and sticking with it, it is about throwing wrenches in everyone elses' plans. Everything has a counter, so you need to be positioning yourself to make sure the enemy has as few avenues of approach as possible to work with. The winning strategies are usually ones where players took advantage of the unique situations that arose in their games, not ones where they had a turn-one plan that they brute forced through the whole game with.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I sometimes used S6 combat pretenders, back in Dom3 when S6 was what you needed to get to S9 with boosters and rings. Having 6 astral levels was an acceptable risk for me, magic duel or no. In Dom4 going to S9 takes a much more expensive booster path so I don't really know if I'd go that route with a non-immortal combat pretender. S7 (boost to S9 easy) is a larger point investment. But regardless, I don't really think this is a Carp issue; low def and low prot and no shield means you take too much damage, each of which has a small chance on the affliction chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

Here are the titles of all changes in Dominions Are Dumb:
What do these things actually entail?

• Locked thread