Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Zorak posted:

They said they were announcing it during Pro Tour Journey into Nyx. So, May 18th.

Yeah, it would make no sense to announce it now, let Journey into Nyx get revealed and released first, or they'll be stepping on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've never seen High Tide go off before. This is sorta incredible.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Boxman posted:

I've never seen High Tide go off before. This is sorta incredible.

You still haven't

Edit:

2 high tides had resolved (and are symmetrical), the opponent cast 2 Venser, Shaper Savant and 1 pitched force of will to make him fizzle

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Those Vensers, wow.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

Yeah, it would make no sense to announce it now, let Journey into Nyx get revealed and released first, or they'll be stepping on that.

The problem is that if this wasn't the official line, it's what people have been reporting: that the reveal would be "Sunday, at the Pro Tour." The Pro Tour isn't for another few weeks, but they said that on a Saturday, so of course everyone blanked out the "at the Pro Tour" in their heads. Everyone also expected more Magic-related announcements today, adding to the confusion.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I just figured there was a pro tour going on somewhere. I barely pay attention to that stuff if it isn't drive able (and I hear about those from the nerds at my shop).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
High Tide just won on turn 0 of extra turns, 16 minutes after time was called. Jesus Christ.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I like the sad little misdirection countered by what, 30 copies of flusterstorm?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Boxman posted:

I like the sad little misdirection countered by what, 30 copies of flusterstorm?

I counter with overloaded counterflux.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Samael posted:

I counter with overloaded counterflux.

Hope you had 7 mana free because of the defense grid

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Devor posted:

Hope you had 7 mana free because of the defense grid

Welp, I didn't watch the match, that is just nasty. I almost feel sorry for the other player.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Samael posted:

Welp, I didn't watch the match, that is just nasty. I almost feel sorry for the other player.

The High Tide player also fought through a Null Rod that was blanking his Candelabra of Tawnos. When he eventually got the rod off the board, that was what let him ramp directly up to 70 mana with 2 Candelabras.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MrBling posted:

Anyone else watching SCG that can confirm that David Thomas didn't reveal his hand when he got hit with Surgical Extraction?

Not that it matters since he just dumped it all with Breakthrough, but still.

They just showed it on replay, and yeah neither one of them caught it. Cuevas made some odd choices in game 2 that gave Thomas extra chances to win that game.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Still watching GP Philly, the top 8 draft is currently under way. Reid Duke has went about as deep as somebody can get who opened not Chromanticore.

EDIT: his deck's now settling in to base black control with a lot of great blue and green cards, looks like he's read the table incredibly well.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've found that tickets for GP Manchester are on sale, should I go for the VIP tickets? I may have a bye so I'd benefit from the sleep-in-special, and the fixed seating sounds good. Would anyone with prior GP experience say it was worth it? I often seem to get headaches at big events and I think it might be down to not drinking enough, so being brought water sounds good. Or it may just be other players not showering. Water fixes the problem either way.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

an_mutt posted:

Is anybody else watching GP Philly? It's currently the last round of Swiss with Huey Jensen playing against a 13 year old kid in a win-and-in game and it's tense as gently caress.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Add this to the OP for adorableness.

Shrout once again back to picking some of the fun matches for us to watch. He's already better than any other person that has been in charge of choosing on camera matches in a month on the job.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

And then Huey devoured his opponent, adding to his already formidable size and reserves of youth to dominate magic for the next century.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

an_mutt posted:

And then Huey devoured his opponent, adding to his already formidable size and reserves of youth to dominate magic for the next century.

And he looked annoyed the entire time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I didn't know that Kyle Gass was a judge.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

rabidsquid posted:

I didn't know that Kyle Gass was a judge.

That's Matthias Hunt without his hat on

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've found that tickets for GP Manchester are on sale, should I go for the VIP tickets? I may have a bye so I'd benefit from the sleep-in-special, and the fixed seating sounds good. Would anyone with prior GP experience say it was worth it? I often seem to get headaches at big events and I think it might be down to not drinking enough, so being brought water sounds good. Or it may just be other players not showering. Water fixes the problem either way.

In my experience, it's not worth it. The fixed seating, when I had the VIP program, was not actually fixed. Instead you had a special VIP set of tables. Depending on the other bonuses, it's not generally worth it for me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

This is so amazing. Who is this kid?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

What a Judas posted:

In my experience, it's not worth it. The fixed seating, when I had the VIP program, was not actually fixed. Instead you had a special VIP set of tables. Depending on the other bonuses, it's not generally worth it for me.

It also guarantees me the playmat, so need to see what extra effort would be needed for that.

Just read Athreos again, how does that work with other on death/enters graveyard effects like Persist and Undying. Can opponents break beneficial effects like that, since Athreos' effect isn't a"may".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BizarroAzrael posted:

It also guarantees me the playmat, so need to see what extra effort would be needed for that.

Just read Athreos again, how does that work with other on death/enters graveyard effects like Persist and Undying. Can opponents break beneficial effects like that, since Athreos' effect isn't a"may".

I think you get to stack the triggers yourself, don't you?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think you get to stack the triggers yourself, don't you?

Persist fails if the card isn't in the graveyard when it resolves - so if you order it Persist, Athreos, then Athreos resolves and the card will be in your hand, and Persist will fizzle.

But Athreos doesn't say anything about the location when the ability resolves, so you could do Athreos, Persist, and the card would re-enter the battlefield from Persist, then return to your hand from Athreos. Yeah?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Is that Adam Janssen in the other feature match position?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Man it takes a while to fly back from another state and scan things.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

minusX posted:

I was stoked to hear it was one of us. Did you get to keep that, or just take the picture? What did they do when you left the hall?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Devor posted:

Persist fails if the card isn't in the graveyard when it resolves - so if you order it Persist, Athreos, then Athreos resolves and the card will be in your hand, and Persist will fizzle.

But Athreos doesn't say anything about the location when the ability resolves, so you could do Athreos, Persist, and the card would re-enter the battlefield from Persist, then return to your hand from Athreos. Yeah?

Nah, new object, etc.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

What a Judas posted:

I was stoked to hear it was one of us. Did you get to keep that, or just take the picture? What did they do when you left the hall?

It's a signed print that's mine, and also the only physical public one of it (I've let other people take a picture of it). They pulled me outside, had me sign a waiver, then recorded something that will go up soon I think.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Wait, Dack is a red-handed thief? Terrible!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jorath posted:

Wait, Dack is a red-handed thief? Terrible!

Good luck figuring that out hes a professional he wears gloves i swear you people dont even read the lore

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

minusX posted:

It's a signed print that's mine, and also the only physical public one of it (I've let other people take a picture of it). They pulled me outside, had me sign a waiver, then recorded something that will go up soon I think.

That's pretty cool. If you decide to sell it, hit me up. I unironically love Dack.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I like Dack Fayden because you can tell from his name that he ended up in M:tG by way of the Star Wars EU.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

When an object changes zones is generally considered to be a new object for terms of abilities/targeting. So guy with persist dies. It's controller stacks the triggers so persist resolves first and returns that creature to the battlefield. Athreos' trigger goes to resolve and the persist creature is no longer in the yard so can't be moved from the yard to it's controller's hand.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

minusX posted:

I know that's just a hair on your scanner bed, but I like that it looks like that's what he's reaching for. "Here, let me get that for you..."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I like Dack Fayden because you can tell from his name that he ended up in M:tG by way of the Star Wars EU.

I will be forever convinced that WoTC has a sense of humor about itself if they give Duck Fayden a card in the Huey Duey and Louie block.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I will be forever convinced that WoTC has a sense of humor about itself if they give Duck Fayden a card in the Huey Duey and Louie block.

A planeswalker card in Conspiracy good enough for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I put together that ridiculous green devotion deck for like, 8 tickets on MTGO and it's really, really, really fun.

The shenanigans are just awesome. Swinging in with 24 power on turn 4? Possible. Having 5 creatures on the table on turn 3? Yep.

Just now I snuck in a 4th turn win against mono black by swinging with the team and double aspect of hydra on Dryad Militant to make her 18/18 a tusker hitting for 3.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 14, 2014

• Locked thread