Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
Second time smoking any sort of meat. I did a 15 hour pulled pork with two full hunks of shoulder:

My favourite part was straining off some of the fat and using it to caramelize some onions for the barbecue sauce :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Looks beautiful! What sort of rub did you use?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Got up early to crank up both smokers for my pre-cruise get-together. Didn't put on shoes because, hey, I'm a professional, right?

Stepped on an ember about 1/2" across that burned right through the callous on my heel.

:argh:

Currently medicating with bourbon. Brisket, ribs and pork butt are cooking nicely, chicken goes on at 4.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Cimber posted:

Looks beautiful! What sort of rub did you use?

It was mainly paprika and very finely ground coffee, then brown sugar, kosher salt, fenugreek, allspice, clove, cumin, coriander, and garlic powder. I was worried I had made it too salty but it was very good

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Do Weber Smokey Mountains go on sale often? I've been looking out for ones on the used market, but was also curious if they generally go on sale during the year.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Usually September-November they go on sale, end of the grilling season, at least in the Northeast. I don't know where you live.. but yea around here they get a little cheaper then so the stores can clear their stock for the winter

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Has anyone added casters to the bottom of their Weber Smokey Mountain? I'm thinking it'd be easy to bolt some on to the bottom of the legs, but my husband brought up that if they were plastic they could melt from either radiant heat or embers. I'd like to put locking wheels on the thing because I have to scoot it around my back patio fairly frequently and goddamn that thing is a bitch to move.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Has anyone added casters to the bottom of their Weber Smokey Mountain? I'm thinking it'd be easy to bolt some on to the bottom of the legs, but my husband brought up that if they were plastic they could melt from either radiant heat or embers. I'd like to put locking wheels on the thing because I have to scoot it around my back patio fairly frequently and goddamn that thing is a bitch to move.

This link should have everything you need: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wheels.html

Does anybody have any tips on adding lit coals to a WSM 18.5"? That little door is just a fire hazard waiting to happen. Even replacing the water pan with a smaller one, there isn't enough space to dump lit coals from a chimney safely through the door. Maybe some kind of funneling system?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

This link should have everything you need: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wheels.html

Does anybody have any tips on adding lit coals to a WSM 18.5"? That little door is just a fire hazard waiting to happen. Even replacing the water pan with a smaller one, there isn't enough space to dump lit coals from a chimney safely through the door. Maybe some kind of funneling system?

Buy a small fireplace shovel or one of those long, narrow actual shovels that gardeners use for bulbs and poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Might as well use this doublepost.

Anyone ever try to cut a pork butt into smaller chunks to increase bark production? The last butt I did I cut in half to speed cooking and the added bark was great. I am sure there is a point where a small chunk will dry out before cooking properly but I am addicted to that bark and want to produce all I can.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 14, 2014

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

I lift the whole drat center section off the bottom, add coals, and replace.

Takes 10 seconds.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nummy posted:

Takes 10 seconds.

Yep. This is how I did it too

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Sometimes if I'm just adding a few coals I pour them in from my charcoal chimney using the door as a chute. They'll jump right over the gap and pop into the grate. I use a pair of tongs and an ove glove to add wood through the door as well. As others said though, if I have to add a substantial amount I just take the top section off.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

nummy posted:

Takes 10 seconds.

sellouts posted:

Yep. This is how I did it too

I'm guessing you take the food and the water pan out separately? Doesn't it take a while to get back up to temp afterwards?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I'm guessing you take the food and the water pan out separately? Doesn't it take a while to get back up to temp afterwards?

The whole center section lifts off, the piece with the door on it. When you lift it up, the water pan and both grates are still attached inside, putting it on the ground next to the bottom section should "seal off" the bottom, preventing a lot of heat from escaping. Toss your coals on and then put the whole center section back on. There's no need to remove the lid or mess with the food at all.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

That was my other thought, but in my unit there's only like a quarter inch holding up the water pan and the cooking grates and they'll fall right through pretty easily (I learned this the hard way). I guess you just have to be careful.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I'm telling you guys, a small shovel or spade really works wonders in getting the coals in the door hole.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

The trowel (that's what they're called just fyi) is probably my first choice--hadn't thought of that--I just want the safest option possible given that the smoker is on a wood deck. I was just wondering if there was a commonly used "chute" type option like there's a common alternative to the water pan etc.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Why don't you just throw unlit briquettes or the wood onto the fire? Why do you light it first, that seems like a huge pain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The trowel (that's what they're called just fyi) is probably my first choice--hadn't thought of that--I just want the safest option possible given that the smoker is on a wood deck. I was just wondering if there was a commonly used "chute" type option like there's a common alternative to the water pan etc.

Wait you call an ash shovel a trowel? Isn't that the thing you lay and point bricks with?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

bunnielab posted:

I'm telling you guys, a small shovel or spade really works wonders in getting the coals in the door hole.
You're also stirring up ash, though, which can end up on your food.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Easychair Bootson posted:

You're also stirring up ash, though, which can end up on your food.

Not if you are gentle about it and only add a coal or three at a time. I am way too chicken to risk lifting the top off. If I ever get around to adding handles maybe I will give it a go.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Nope.

First - I don't use water in the water pan, so I'm not worried about spilling that or the weight it would add.

Second, I haven't had any issues with the grates being held up. I keep all the food on and whatnot. Works great.

If you're concerned, try it a few times before your cook to make sure it's all fitting together correctly and not in danger of falling apart. If you've assembled it correctly, I'm not sure how the grates would fall out at all. It shouldn't be that loose.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

The elbow bracket things that hold the water pan on are a little short, I've actually had the water pan fall out the bottom on occasion. I just unscrewed them and put a bolt between the sidewall and elbow bracket to push it closer to the center, to make the water pan fit in better.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
would people consider it cheating to take the meat off a smoker after 3-4 hours of smoking and put it onto a gas grill where you can control the heat and ensure the temp is right where you need it to be? From what I understand, you don't gain much smoke flavor or smoke rings after the 3rd hour of smoking.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cimber posted:

would people consider it cheating to take the meat off a smoker after 3-4 hours of smoking and put it onto a gas grill where you can control the heat and ensure the temp is right where you need it to be? From what I understand, you don't gain much smoke flavor or smoke rings after the 3rd hour of smoking.

Cheating ? Who gives a poo poo! Some of my best BBQ has turned out by doing the smoking and getting the bark ready for the first 2 hours then puttingnit on a rack in my oven for the remainder of the cook.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Cimber posted:

Just like the above poster I'd say to skip the gas grill entirely and toss it in the oven. Heat is guaranteed to be even and dry, no monitoring required. I actually do this fairly often with briskets, simply because their cook time is so long, and I don't feel like adding another round of coal, and watching it until the temp stabilizes again.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McSpankWich posted:

Just like the above poster I'd say to skip the gas grill entirely and toss it in the oven. Heat is guaranteed to be even and dry, no monitoring required. I actually do this fairly often with briskets, simply because their cook time is so long, and I don't feel like adding another round of coal, and watching it until the temp stabilizes again.

I believe in the oven it would still benefit from a water pan off to the side according to a Meathead article I read.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Your are cheating yourself out of the fun of sitting by a smoker and drinking beer for like 10 more hours.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bunnielab posted:

Your are cheating yourself out of the fun of sitting by a smoker and drinking beer for like 10 more hours.

I'm more concerned about making sure the heat is consistent and will cook through all the way. I can sit outside and drink beer next to the gas grill just as easily as I can sit next to the bullet smoker sitting right next to it!

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Wait you call an ash shovel a trowel? Isn't that the thing you lay and point bricks with?

I was referring to "one of those long, narrow actual shovels that gardeners use for bulbs and poo poo." At least that's the thing I've always used for bulbs and poo poo.

Thanks a ton for the tips, I'll report back my findings!

Cimber posted:

Why don't you just throw unlit briquettes or the wood onto the fire? Why do you light it first, that seems like a huge pain.

I'm not referring to planned stuff like you'd do for a 20 hour smoke, this is me being new and retarded and not loading the ring properly in the first place, then scrambling to get the temp up. Otherwise yeah, unlit coals would be the way to go.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I found gas grills harder to control temp with than my BGE or WSM. Both of those were set it and forget it for many hours.

But the gas grill was much easier than the stick burner I used (and had much less experience with than even the gas grill)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

I'm more concerned about making sure the heat is consistent and will cook through all the way. I can sit outside and drink beer next to the gas grill just as easily as I can sit next to the bullet smoker sitting right next to it!

Eh, barring one stupid attempt to smoke in very high wind, I have never had an issue with keeping a WSM at temp. I do get a lot of enjoyment fussing with charcoal and wood though, to the point where I want to start making my own charcoal. Also, are gas grills even designed to run for 8-10 hours? How much gas do they use over that long? If I gave up on charcoal I would just bring it inside and stick it in the oven.

I was referring to "one of those long, narrow actual shovels that gardeners use for bulbs and poo poo." At least that's the thing I've always used for bulbs and poo poo.

Hah, I am dumb and clearly not a gardener. What I was thinking of is a Drain Spade.

I just assumed it was a gardening tool as most stores sell them with rakes, hoes, and the like.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
When putting some beans under something like a shoulder, when should it be put in? Assuming they should be in the cooker for about 2hrs, do you all just put it in towards the end? Would it benefit from going in earlier when there's more smoke?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

E30User posted:

When putting some beans under something like a shoulder, when should it be put in? Assuming they should be in the cooker for about 2hrs, do you all just put it in towards the end? Would it benefit from going in earlier when there's more smoke?

I wouldn't think the smoke would be useful for beans. However, if you can, put the beans under the cooking meat, so they catch some of the grease drippings. That extra fat tastes fantastic. I keep the meat at the highest level of my ECM, but there is a another metal grill under there about 6 to 8 inches down that you can put other objects on.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

E30User posted:

When I did a brisket a month ago, I put them in right at the beginning. They turned out great. Much better than the cheater batch I made from the same brisket's drippings that were caught in the foil I crutched the brisket in later in the cook.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe

Ezrem posted:

When I did a brisket a month ago, I put them in right at the beginning. They turned out great...

I guess I have some experimenting to do. When putting in at the beginning, how much time before taking them out? Is there a large window of time from being done and turning to mush with beans at those temps?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I just did something similar yesterday. I took the extra meat from the ribs I was doing (the extra from cutting spares into St. Louis) and tossed it in with a tray of beans. Then I put the beans under the 3 racks of ribs and let them catch the drippings. They turned out amazing, but far too greasy. The rib tips and grease drippings ended up being too much. Not that they didn't taste ridiculous, but yea.. a little too greasy.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

E30User posted:

I guess I have some experimenting to do. When putting in at the beginning, how much time before taking them out? Is there a large window of time from being done and turning to mush with beans at those temps?

I think mine were in for like 3 hours. 225 isn't much hotter than a crock pot so if you put them in cold they can withstand it for quite a while. Also some of mine dried out a bit at the top (maybe I didn't add enough liquid) which added some interesting texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

I wouldn't think the smoke would be useful for beans.
You would think wrong. Smoky beans are DELICIOUS!