Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Well, most people aren't going to know who the gently caress ROB is(most people probably still don't after brawl), he's pretty obscure over here.

If you are a fan of Nintendo, you know who ROB was. Even if you never owned a ROB, you just know.

Nintendo fans automatically know this stuff: Mario, Virtual Boy, Earthbound, Konami Code, ROB, Zapper, Super Scope, etc...

With the Internet and stuff like AVGN there's no excuse. If you were born on or before 1986 you have doubly no excuse (you lived it drat it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spectacle Rock posted:

If you are a fan of Nintendo, you know who ROB was. Even if you never owned a ROB, you just know.

Nintendo fans automatically know this stuff: Mario, Virtual Boy, Earthbound, Konami Code, ROB, Zapper, Super Scope, etc...

With the Internet and stuff like AVGN there's no excuse. If you were born on or before 1986 you have doubly no excuse (you lived it drat it!)

Unless you're not American.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Unless you're not American.

Or someone who doesn't actively pursue internet-based media.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You do realize that kids who weren't even born when Brawl came out will be playing this game, right?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

You do realize that kids who weren't even born when Brawl came out will be playing this game, right?

The ones who were born in 1999 when the first one debuted are probably sophomores in high school now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm convinced that releasing the WiiU version 6 months after the 3DS version was an extremely genius marketing ploy. While I know the WiiU version will be better there is no way in hell I'd be able to wait that long for a new Smash. So I just went to Best Buy today and picked up an XL along with a copy of Pokemon Y and Link Between Worlds. And I'll probably end up buying a WiiU when Smash comes out too.

Dammit Nintendo I need money too!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think everyone should be unlockable except Mario because I hate the idea of people playing the game the wrong way.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Personally I'm glad since I don't know if I would have bought the 3DS version if it came out after the Wii U one.

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013
There must be some better way they can handle unlocks, because the nature of the game makes it feel like there's a gauntlet between you and playing the game normally if you switch memory cards or whatever. It's cool when you first play through one of the Smashes and all, but it's been getting in the way ever since.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They should just include a code, that's all. A free, easy code. It would allow people like me to unlock stuff and everybody else to relax and start with all the things.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PantsBandit posted:

I'm convinced that releasing the WiiU version 6 months after the 3DS version was an extremely genius marketing ploy. While I know the WiiU version will be better there is no way in hell I'd be able to wait that long for a new Smash. So I just went to Best Buy today and picked up an XL along with a copy of Pokemon Y and Link Between Worlds. And I'll probably end up buying a WiiU when Smash comes out too.

Dammit Nintendo I need money too!

I really wouldn't be surprised if the connectivity between the 3ds version and Wii U version have something to do with a (hopefully to be announced) Mii playable character. Maybe unlock random costumes for the Mii on the 3DS and move it to your Wii U.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It seems pretty safe to assume the custom movesets can be copied between both systems. I mean, it just seems like such an obvious use.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I would like "use your 3DS as a Wii U controller" please. Bring back the old GBA/GC cable technology except wireless.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bicyclops posted:

They should just include a code, that's all. A free, easy code. It would allow people like me to unlock stuff and everybody else to relax and start with all the things.

I think the best way to handle is is make all of the characters super fast unlocks, like being able to unlock the whole cast in 20 minutes. Really simple tasks like "Play a 4 player match" and "Play a match as Mario vs Bowser" because it's the New Challenger Approaching screen that gets people excited and getting another character, no one really gives a poo poo how you do it and in Smash it's always been annoying and tedious to get characters anyway.

Another thing I realized is that how's it going to work via the 3DS? If you have to play X amount of matches to get Y character what happens if four people are playing, one person has played more than the others and the next match is going to lead to him unlocking the character. What happens to the other players? Do they wait for him to fight the new characters he's going to unlock? Do they just watch the match in progress? And will it unlock for just the one person or everyone that's currently connected and playing?

Reiley posted:

I would like "use your 3DS as a Wii U controller" please. Bring back the old GBA/GC cable technology except wireless.

Though I'd hate to give up my GC controller for it, I wouldn't mind doing this. I always have my 3DS on me and if I go to someone's house and they want to play Smash it'll be nice that I can connect and play with my 3DS and not use a Wiimote or other controller set-up since they probably won't have GC controllers and adapters.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Reiley posted:

I think for that to work, the Wii U stages would have to be programmed into the 3DS version. The 3DS can't do the Gamepad-style video streaming, so it would have to be running the game and that means all the same content would have to be there.

Unless you just mean using it as a controller without showing the fight on the 3DS screen, that seems possible.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think for that to work, the Wii U stages would have to be programmed into the 3DS version. The 3DS can't do the Gamepad-style video streaming, so it would have to be running the game and that means all the same content would have to be there.

Unless you just mean using it as a controller without showing the fight on the 3DS screen, that seems possible.

Yeah I mean just having it as a controller with your player data on it. I don't know what the Wii U plans to do with the giant screen in its controller but whatever data is there I'd imagine could be relayed to a 3DS touchscreen. Even if its just menu interface or character select stuff I feel that with this sort of handheld/console split where the console only has one native controller per unit it's really beneficial to be able to use a handheld as a controller, especially when the handheld version releases half a year earlier.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Though I'd hate to give up my GC controller for it,

On a wii u?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Anatharon posted:

On a wii u?

Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BS520SG?pc_redir=1397347147&robot_redir=1

I have four of these. My house is the usual hangout for my nerdy circle of friends.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

J2DK posted:

Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BS520SG?pc_redir=1397347147&robot_redir=1

I have four of these. My house is the usual hangout for my nerdy circle of friends.
I feel like a middle-schooler for noticing that the link to that item literally starts out B00BS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Make Palutena a playable character, that's only unlockable by fighting someone online who's using Palutena.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think the best way to handle is is make all of the characters super fast unlocks, like being able to unlock the whole cast in 20 minutes. Really simple tasks like "Play a 4 player match" and "Play a match as Mario vs Bowser" because it's the New Challenger Approaching screen that gets people excited and getting another character, no one really gives a poo poo how you do it and in Smash it's always been annoying and tedious to get characters anyway.

Well that defeats the whole point of them being, in some way, an achievement. I'm not saying we should have arduous ones like Mewtwo, Wolf and (non-SSE) R.O.B., because those are just goddamn pains, but I want to feel like I've earned them. I still think Brawl had the right idea; everyone has about three or four different unlock criteria, so if adventure mode's not your thing, or you can't handle Break the Targets, you're not screwed. Only problem there is it does lead to them having to think up three different unlock criteria for every character, and at that volume they're going to come up with unreasonable ones eventually.

I think the best bet is to have a 'Party Mode' option that, for one session, unlocks all the secret characters, but only in regular multiplayer. You want to play them in other modes, use them to unlock other non-character things, or customize their moveset, you have to unlock them legit.

...Or, maybe every character is unlocked from the start, but the classic unlockable system is reserved for everyone's customizable movesets. So Marth isn't an unlockable character, but to use the alternate versions of his moves you need to fulfill certain criteria and then fight a fully customized Marth.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Make Palutena a playable character, that's only unlockable by fighting someone online who's using Palutena.

If Sakurai is Patient Zero and spreads that poo poo at APEX 2015 or whatever's the closest Smash major following Smash for 3DS' release, that would be great.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Why not just make DLC characters? Nintendo's finally using DLC for other games, so why not Smash?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Geostomp posted:

Why not just make DLC characters? Nintendo's finally using DLC for other games, so why not Smash?

Probably because Sakurai is a perfectionist and he's not going to want to continue obsessing over new content for the game once it ships.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bass Bottles posted:

Probably because Sakurai is a perfectionist and he's not going to want to continue obsessing over new content for the game once it ships.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo could care less if Sakurai is a perfectionist if it means that they can make a shitload of extra money selling us DLC characters. People would happily pay for Mewtwo, Ridley, Ray 01, Saki, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo could care less if Sakurai is a perfectionist if it means that they can make a shitload of extra money selling us DLC characters. People would happily pay for Mewtwo, Ridley, Ray 01, Saki, etc.

You'd think so, but if they really cared about that kind of profit model, they'd have implemented something with the latest generation of Pokemon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Geostomp posted:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo hates money.

Bicyclops posted:

You'd think so, but if they really cared about that kind of profit model, they'd have implemented something with the latest generation of Pokemon.

They did it with Fire Emblem and it worked a treat. Again, Nintendo just outright hates money and most ways of making money are ignored in favour of Monster Hunter exclusivity and Hyrule Warriors.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Bicyclops posted:

They already do. Up until B2/W2 the third game in a generation was basically a slightly altered version with more stuff to do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, if they decided to sell "level your Pokemon slightly faster" or "purchase a funny hat for your Pokemon," they could pretty much stop making games and probably not even alienate the current group of Pokemon players.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

if you could put hats on your pokemon I would be broke within the hour.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I would put myself out on the street buying funny hats for my pokemon.

edit: and not be upset about it

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

TaurusOxford posted:

I think it's more likely that they would release DLC alternate costumes. I know I would absolutely pay for a Punch-Out DK or pink hoodie Little Mac skin.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

if you could put hats on your pokemon I would be broke within the hour.

I don't even play Pokemon and I have the strangest desire to buy Pikachu his Melee wizard hat. I cannot imagine it would be hard to implement. Nintendo really just has an objection to that kind of business model for whatever reason.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Bicyclops posted:

I don't even play Pokemon and I have the strangest desire to buy Pikachu his Melee wizard hat. I cannot imagine it would be hard to implement. Nintendo really just has an objection to that kind of business model for whatever reason.

I think they prefer the old-school style of DLC, re-releasing old games for full price with some extra bonus content.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

I think they prefer the old-school style of DLC, re-releasing old games for full price with some extra bonus content.

They clearly do, which, fine, whatever, I loved both Windwaker HD and and Four Swords Anniversary Edition but they're short money when compared to piecemeal pay-for content. I'm actually glad of it a little, because I don't want to purchase new characters, but just from a business standpoint, alt costumes or speeding up in game rewards has been an absolute goldmine for cell phones and handhelds have got to be similar.

Tupac Sighting
Oct 19, 2007

twisted as hell... yet i cant stop laughing

SatansBestBuddy posted:

They did it with Fire Emblem and it worked a treat.
The Awakening DLC was really extra and didn't have as much of an impact in gameplay as extra Smash characters would. It's not a very good comparison

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Look you can throw all the money you want at him but Ridley isn't getting any smaller.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Blackheart posted:

Look you can throw all the money you want at him but Ridley isn't getting any smaller.

I am on this boat with you, but I can't wait until I'm playing the game in my Parent's Basement and an unexpected "Challenger Approaching!" emblem shows up and Ridley happens. If it happens I hereby PROMISE to poop my pants in disbelief and excitement.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
DLC would take valuable time away from Sakurai's directing career:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rxg4zWutWU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

So basically what I'm reading here is that everyone wants to pay to unlock everything right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

So basically what I'm reading here is that everyone wants to pay to unlock everything right away.

What you're actually reading here is that no-one wants to do stuff like "beat the entire SSE then come back to one of the stages and find an alternate exit to fight [character], or you can fight 500 matches to fight [character], or you can get hosed".

• Locked thread