Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

temple posted:

Luca and her story was really sappy and why I don't read most manga. It had the least character development because she was same throughout and the other girl who had TB or whatever found the boring rear end will to live/love. I'd say everything about that section was great except Luca's story. In short, liking Luca is anti-Berserk and you should feel bad for enjoying it.

Bring back Judeau, bring back Corkus, and especially bring back Wyald. He knew how to keep it interesting.

Anti-Berserk?? The characters you like are relatively boring. Nina, that other prostitute, was interesting because while she was (quite rationally) terrified of everything happening around her and this informed her decisions, but even still she attempted to do the right thing every now and again. When I read through this stuff in my early teens I didn't like her, because she was a coward and betrayed Casca quickly, but the fact that torturers even started to get to work on her fingernail before she ratted out a more-or-less complete stranger that was a burden on her lifestyle shows that she's probably worth more than you or I would've been in that situation.

Also, if we're talking about the women of Berserk: while the role she's settled into now hasn't been the most exciting material as of late, Farnese is without a doubt one of the most interesting characters of the series. There's a lot to sympathize with in the person she is and the person she's been, but online manga reader comments in those segments usually stop at "that bitch looks like a shemale." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Luca's rad, Farnesse is weird but interesting in her flaws, and Schierke and Guts father/daughter moments are adorable, don't poo poo talk Berserk ladies.

Also Wyald was poo poo, glad he gets cut from every Berserk adaptation.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
When did Luca become best girl in Berserk?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Zackarotto posted:

Anti-Berserk?? The characters you like are relatively boring. Nina, that other prostitute, was interesting because while she was (quite rationally) terrified of everything happening around her and this informed her decisions, but even still she attempted to do the right thing every now and again. When I read through this stuff in my early teens I didn't like her, because she was a coward and betrayed Casca quickly, but the fact that torturers even started to get to work on her fingernail before she ratted out a more-or-less complete stranger that was a burden on her lifestyle shows that she's probably worth more than you or I would've been in that situation.

Also, if we're talking about the women of Berserk: while the role she's settled into now hasn't been the most exciting material as of late, Farnese is without a doubt one of the most interesting characters of the series. There's a lot to sympathize with in the person she is and the person she's been, but online manga reader comments in those segments usually stop at "that bitch looks like a shemale." :(

I like Nina. I dislike the storyline where the little poo poo causes all the problems for the heroine Luca to solve. I can relate to Nina's anxiety but the resolution for those characters was completely optimistic with no sacrifice or growth. Nina is slightly more hopeful (gently caress hope this is Berserk) and Luca is canonized.

Luca, Casca, and Farnese are little Guts. But Luca is least interesting of them. Casca had internal conflict, Farnese has developed before our eyes. But Luca comes as a boss at the start and deals with external conflict ie everyone else's problem. Her struggle is all the puny people around her. (Edit: sorta like black swordsman Guts numerous speeches when he was edgy as gently caress)

Miura has done a good job of showing conflict and specifically women's thoughts. Luca and traveling band of prostitutes was weak and confuses the themes of the story.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 13, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

temple posted:

I like Nina. I dislike the storyline where the little poo poo causes all the problems for the heroine Luca to solve. I can relate to Nina's anxiety but the resolution for those characters was completely optimistic with no sacrifice or growth. Nina is slightly more hopeful (gently caress hope this is Berserk) and Luca is canonized.

Luca, Casca, and Farnese are little Guts. But Luca is least interesting of them. Casca had internal conflict, Farnese has developed before our eyes. But Luca comes as a boss at the start and deals with external conflict ie everyone else's problem. Her struggle is all the puny people around her.

Miura has done a good job of showing conflict and specifically women's thoughts. Luca and traveling band of prostitutes was weak and confuses the themes of the story.
Are you one of those people that want Guts to go through another party wipe and become the Black Swordsman again?

Khagan posted:

When did Luca become best girl in Berserk?

She always was.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Rodyle posted:

Are you one of those people that want Guts to go through another party wipe and become the Black Swordsman again?

She always was.

Are you one those people who cried at the end of Lost valley chapter when Guts said some corny line about the darkness being his battlefield or whatever poo poo I forgot because my wrists started bleeding spontaneously.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Farnese got boring after her conversion to magical girl
Schierke started magical girls
Luca owns
pre-rape Casca owns the most

All the princesses are boring as hell though

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Uh, that old guy looks nothing like Dhaiva, it's just some random old Kushan dude.

hmmmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Pre-tragedy Casca was a great character with good depth. I think? It's been so long now I only remember how I felt about her and not any specific reasons.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Puck is the best character.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Pre-tragedy Casca was a great character with good depth. I think? It's been so long now I only remember how I felt about her and not any specific reasons.

I think Casca is the first time I've seen the "strong female warrior suddenly becomes helpless and needs male MC's help" trope play out and the author actually giving it a reason that seems reasonable. So that's appreciated. She was also fun and had personality, so at least I would consider her a great character with good depth.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Like I said, nothing alike. In a manga with as much visual details as Berserk, it's absurd to mix people up like that.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Is the sky looking all hosed up because Ganishka became a giant tree and then got owned?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hand of the King posted:

Is the sky looking all hosed up because Ganishka became a giant tree and then got owned?

There's a world tree in Falconia now from his remains, yeah. It's where the new city + castle came from as well.

Good chapter, though I'm getting slightly tired with the whole "Guys, everything is so great under the Falcon! But it's also weird!" chapters, since Miura has done a good eight to ten chapters devoted to that angle now. We get it, life under Griffith is great so he can basically get off to his own power fantasy, it's also his problem everything is going to poo poo, yes yes. Let him meet Rickert and let's get back to Guts already.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I half expect when the manga gets back to Guts, it's going to be him waking up in a room, walks downstairs and then someone goes "Gee Guts you finally woke up we've been on Elf Island for months now! It feels like it's been so long."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah seeing all this stuff is a little tiresome. Like, it's still really new and big to most of the random no-name inhabitants of the Berserk world, but the audience has known this poo poo was around for a looooong time.

Also I'm still diggin' all the seraphim motifs and statues that are everywhere in Griffith's city.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I look forward to Rickert's encounter with Griffith, because I honestly have no idea how it will go and what he'll do/say.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I look forward to Rickert's encounter with Griffith, because I honestly have no idea how it will go and what he'll do/say.

Yeah, who knows. He met Griffith post rebirth already, and Griffith already made the offer that he could join him if he wanted. Guts commented that Rickert could never truly hate Griffith, so maybe he will actually join him?

Also, after reading some older chapters, I think the issue with dwelling on this stuff is less that actual chapter count and more the chapter frequency again. I just wish Miura would back away from doing GOTTA DRAW A BILLION BUILDINGS / PEOPLE AT ONCE stuff. It's gorgeous but he's much more prolific when it's just the gang interacting and Guts fightin dudes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, it's been drat near 10 years since Miura kept any sort of schedule so I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

Also, after reading some older chapters, I think the issue with dwelling on this stuff is less that actual chapter count and more the chapter frequency again. I just wish Miura would back away from doing GOTTA DRAW A BILLION BUILDINGS / PEOPLE AT ONCE stuff. It's gorgeous but he's much more prolific when it's just the gang interacting and Guts fightin dudes.

Well, that's what you like about reading the series, but is that what Miura likes about creating the series?

I've had the idea for a while now that Miura is far more invested in expanding what he can do artistically than what he can do linguistically. Yeah, the writing is pretty good, but you can tell just from looking at any given two page spread that he's put a lot more time and energy into his art than anything else. I like the more subdued moments where the characters can just talk with each other more, myself, but it's clear he's more interested in the art and I can't expect him to ignore what he wants so he can make more of what I want.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, that's what you like about reading the series, but is that what Miura likes about creating the series?

I've had the idea for a while now that Miura is far more invested in expanding what he can do artistically than what he can do linguistically. Yeah, the writing is pretty good, but you can tell just from looking at any given two page spread that he's put a lot more time and energy into his art than anything else. I like the more subdued moments where the characters can just talk with each other more, myself, but it's clear he's more interested in the art and I can't expect him to ignore what he wants so he can make more of what I want.

The thing is, he's never done anything that actually moves away from what feels natural to the narrative ultimately, really. He's dwelling on this moments and it seems frustrating as a long time reader, but do they actually matter in the narrative? Yes, actually. He could get away with finding whatever excuse to draw absurd things, but he's relatively restrained in the sense that while we've been waiting to get to Elfheim for loving ever, it's less to do with the internal pacing and more the release schedule. These scenes naturally lend themselves to the absurd style, and it doesn't really feel like he's making up excuses to move to them.

On a lark I just re-read through the post-Rebirth stuff through Guts getting the Berserker armor, and you really do get a feeling that even if Miura burns himself out on this quite a lot, he does know how to write the drat thing awfully well. The overall cohesion is a lot of why I like it, really.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I half expect when the manga gets back to Guts, it's going to be him waking up in a room, walks downstairs and then someone goes "Gee Guts you finally woke up we've just left Elf Island! It feels like it's been so long."

Fixed that for you.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo Miura! You don't need to draw every freaking cobblestone in the city and all the tiles on every roof. Seriously man, that's gotta be bad for your health.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo Miura! You don't need to draw every freaking cobblestone in the city and all the tiles on every roof. Seriously man, that's gotta be bad for your health.

He's probably gonna design the urn for his own ashes, down to every little knob and dip on the surface.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Zorak posted:

he does know how to write the drat thing awfully well. The overall cohesion is a lot of why I like it, really.

Only sort of related, but one of the big things I've always appreciated about Berserk is that Miura is both an exceptional artist and cartoonist.

He'll draw these immense vistas while making sure the panel layout flows. He'll shade the poo poo out of Isidro's collarbone and then define his face with a fairly economical handful of lines. Miura might not quite be on, say, Naoki Urasawa's level of graphical novellery, but he's also twice the classical artist most mangaka could ever hope to be.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love the detail in the quiet parts but I kind of dislike it when it's hordes of monsters. I like the imposing singular monsters. The seas of tentacles and mouths just lose their impact after a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In some respects I think the style's actually suffered as the technical aspects improve. I miss the old Berserk panels where you'd have huge swathes of solid color and super-detailed panels were used economically to introduce new locations, not absolutely everywhere to the point where you almost get tired of looking at them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, chapters that are half mega detailed 2 page spreads are kinda wearing on me because nothing happens in them and they have to be taking forever to make.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

Chinaman7000 posted:

I love the detail in the quiet parts but I kind of dislike it when it's hordes of monsters. I like the imposing singular monsters. The seas of tentacles and mouths just lose their impact after a while.

After the Golden Age arc, honestly I've never been a fan of those gigantic monster drawings. Occasionally I feel like those things only make the panel/page looks cluttered.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I really try not to think about things like "what could the artist have been doing instead of this" when I read things. Take the thing that is made on its own terms.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

As much as I'd like to read all the Berserk chapters RIGHT THE gently caress NOW WHY AREN'T YOU DRAWING FASTER UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH, I don't mind too much how long Muira is taking. He's proven time and time again that he is SUPER careful in plotting this story - nothing feels rushed, everything fits. It's one of the best paced mangas I've ever seen, and that's one hell of an accomplishment in a publication spread apart like this. The detail that goes into the story only makes it more impressive: no character is really forgotten (even the Kushan wizard returned! Yes, I'm pretty sure it's him), there are countless background story details being picked up (the ruins of the ancient city becoming Falconia), and of course, there's the literal details going into the drawings.

Sure it's frustrating, but really, would it fit if the gang had arrived at Elf Island immediately? The various shenanigans Griffith gets up to should be told with all the gravitas and spectacle they deserve, since they depict THE most world-changing event of the story. We even got a Guts-Kills-The-Monster-Of-The-Week arc to break things up. If I were to read the completed manga in one go, I wouldn't feel any impatience regarding Elf Island at all.

In short: I have zero problems waiting for quality, and Berserk delivers. And it's not like Muira is showing any signs of keeling over anytime soon :colbert:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Torquemadras posted:

In short: I have zero problems waiting for quality, and Berserk delivers. And it's not like Muira is showing any signs of keeling over anytime soon :colbert:

Hey buddy have you ever heard of tempting fate?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hey buddy have you ever heard of tempting fate?

I'm a Song of Ice and Fire reader.

What do you think?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemadras posted:

I'm a Song of Ice and Fire reader.

What do you think?

Wait, did GRRM die over the weekend or something? Last I knew he was busy with the new season.

Also Berserk is better than ASoFaI, if only because most of the political bullshit of the early chapters was solved in a single night. If Griffith was in Game of Thrones he'd be king by the fourth season and that's probably an understatement.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Something else I thought I'd share from my reread. On warmth:

Chapter 237:

Chapter 331:

Guts experiences the early signs of losing his humanity and becoming a scary skeleton man:

And finally, way back in Chapter 37, on leaving the Band of the Hawk Falcon:

praise the sun :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zackarotto posted:

And finally, way back in Chapter 37, on leaving the Band of the Hawk Falcon:

One thing I realized upon re-reading that I had remembered incorrectly is that I had thought Griffith was always pretty detached from/impersonal with the rest of the Band of the Hawk(/Falcon), but he actually seems to form some meaningful bonds with them (like in the bottom right of that picture for example) and seems to legitimately struggle with the decision to sacrifice them all. Doesn't change the fact that he ended up doing so, of course, but he wasn't always super aloof.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I realized upon re-reading that I had remembered incorrectly is that I had thought Griffith was always pretty detached from/impersonal with the rest of the Band of the Hawk(/Falcon), but he actually seems to form some meaningful bonds with them (like in the bottom right of that picture for example) and seems to legitimately struggle with the decision to sacrifice them all. Doesn't change the fact that he ended up doing so, of course, but he wasn't always super aloof.

Well, Grif's fall from grace happened because of his lack of detachment with Guts.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait, did GRRM die over the weekend or something? Last I knew he was busy with the new season.

Also Berserk is better than ASoFaI, if only because most of the political bullshit of the early chapters was solved in a single night. If Griffith was in Game of Thrones he'd be king by the fourth season and that's probably an understatement.

Nah, dude's still alive. And I'm not gonna compare the two series, no reason to. It's just another series plagued by loooooong waits between installments.

I mean, have you seen the thread over in the Book Barn? Those people have been driven insane by the wait. Literally insane.

I don't want to know what some Berserk fans have turned into...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

I think the months (years?) he spent in isolation and torture have a lot to do with his attitude at the eclipse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

notZaar posted:

I think the months (years?) he spent in isolation and torture have a lot to do with his attitude at the eclipse.

Absolutely. While what he did is wrong, he had experienced some awful things both physically and mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Absolutely. While what he did is wrong, he had experienced some awful things both physically and mentally.
The sight of Griffith laughing hysterically right before he tried to kill himself is, to me, one of the most humanizing scenes. I really felt that dude's pain, even though he kind of (arguably) brought it on himself.