Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

My dogs basically got kicked out of basic obedience class yesterday, they just could not settle down and concentrate, stop barking and growling at other dogs even with clicker training/treats. My 8 month old pit was far more interested in the other dogs, especially other young or more reactive ones, than the bits of cheese she normally drools over, however not aggressive. And my 4 year old 3 legged mutt from taiwan was hackles-raised lunging at the big intact german shepherd near us who jumps on his owners shoulders, and he normally only does the hackles thing through our backyard wooden fence at passers-by (yes I've tried to stop this behavior for years). Not being properly socialized as puppies is quite likely they're both strays that lived their formative months on streets or in shelters/hospital kennels, i acquired them at 1 year old and 5 months old both not house trained etcetera. My boy was not warm with dominant dogs to begin with but has also been attacked by an akita in our neighborhood on a walk with my wife and had torn thigh muscle damage swollen for months from that. They're so much different at home it's just amazing to me, and my younger one did fine at her basic obedience class I took her to outdoors that was mostly leash manners and walking, she jogs great with me I've taught her not to pull, to heel, stop, turn etc, and getting better every session with not reacting to dogs through fences on the way. I had private lessons recommended but until I can line this up and afford to pay for that, is there anything I can do at home to help? How can I socialize them basically past their formative puppy times safely? I know dog parks are terrible and I don't have any doggy peers.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

pizzadog posted:

My dogs basically got kicked out of basic obedience class yesterday, they just could not settle down and concentrate, stop barking and growling at other dogs even with clicker training/treats. My 8 month old pit was far more interested in the other dogs, especially other young or more reactive ones, than the bits of cheese she normally drools over, and my 4 year old 3 legged mutt from taiwan was hackles-raised lunging at this big intact german shepherd near us who jumps on his owners shoulders, and he normally only does the hackles thing through our backyard wooden fence at passers-by. Not being properly socialized as puppies is quite likely they're both strays that lived their formative months on streets or in shelters/hospital kennels, i acquired them at 1 year old and 5 months old both not house trained etcetera. My boy was not warm with dominant dogs to begin with but has also been attacked by an akita in our neighborhood on a walk with my wife and had torn thigh muscle damage swollen for months from that. They're so much different at home it's just amazing to me, and my younger one did fine at her basic obedience class I took her to outdoors that was mostly leash manners and walking, she jogs great with me I've taught her not to pull, to heel, stop, turn etc, and getting better every session with not reacting to dogs through fences on the way. I had private lessons recommended but until I can line this up and afford to pay for that, is there anything I can do at home to help? How can I socialize them basically past their formative puppy times safely? I know dog parks are terrible and I don't have any doggy peers.

Did you have 2 handlers for the 2 dogs? How were you managing two of them?

It's not uncommon for some dogs to get really rowdy the first day of group classes. They're basically on overload. They're on a short (probably tight) leash with a dozen other dogs around in an area that smells like dozens more dogs that's new and exciting and stressful and the dog doesn't know what to do with itself. Dogs are packed closely together and all of them are likely exhibiting signs of stress. It's not an easy environment for even the most balanced of dogs.

The second lesson is normally a bit improvement. The dogs have calmed down a bit. The owners have a bit better of an idea of what they're doing and are able to anticipate problem behaviour sooner. So, if you do opt to attend the second class, you may see a bit of an improvement.

If you're not welcome back, a private lesson should give you some more practice in basic behaviours so they're more fluid as you gradually up the difficulty via upping the environmental distractions.

In the interim, you can read the Dog Training Megathread in this forum (or at least the OP). You can also read Control Unleashed: Puppy Protocol by Leslie McDevitt to help you get a handle on managing your dogs around distractions.

You were probably too close to other dogs while you were in class, and you were probably too late in trying to redirect your dog to food. Developing good timing and an idea of your dogs' thresholds will be very useful going forward.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

a life less posted:

Did you have 2 handlers for the 2 dogs? How were you managing two of them?

It's not uncommon for some dogs to get really rowdy the first day of group classes. They're basically on overload. They're on a short (probably tight) leash with a dozen other dogs around in an area that smells like dozens more dogs that's new and exciting and stressful and the dog doesn't know what to do with itself. Dogs are packed closely together and all of them are likely exhibiting signs of stress. It's not an easy environment for even the most balanced of dogs.

The second lesson is normally a bit improvement. The dogs have calmed down a bit. The owners have a bit better of an idea of what they're doing and are able to anticipate problem behaviour sooner. So, if you do opt to attend the second class, you may see a bit of an improvement.

If you're not welcome back, a private lesson should give you some more practice in basic behaviours so they're more fluid as you gradually up the difficulty via upping the environmental distractions.

In the interim, you can read the Dog Training Megathread in this forum (or at least the OP). You can also read Control Unleashed: Puppy Protocol by Leslie McDevitt to help you get a handle on managing your dogs around distractions.

You were probably too close to other dogs while you were in class, and you were probably too late in trying to redirect your dog to food. Developing good timing and an idea of your dogs' thresholds will be very useful going forward.

Yes, my wife and myself each had a dog and we even had the roommate who interacts with them the most out of them with us to help out, not enough hands ever for treats and stuff.
This was actually the 2nd class, the first class last sunday their 'trial period' freebie went better than this, but similarly, this time felt like a backtrack and they hadn't charged me for the course yet. The trainers suggested private classes because this is probably past their threshold so they likely won't come back from it and learn, and they could even progress backwards.
In private without distractions they're 100%, how do I go about transitioning that to socialization without group classes?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

pizzadog posted:

In private without distractions they're 100%, how do I go about transitioning that to socialization without group classes?

Very slowly. Once you get the basics in private, it's all about building slowly up to high stress situations.

The Training OP goes into more depth but it's all about identifying where your dog's attention limit is and working near it so you can then start pushing it into your desired work zone.

Edit: So in private becomes in private with distractions like other friends/family which then becomes in public/outside but alone which then becomes public/outside with family/friends as distractions which then becomes public/outside with other dogs in the area which then becomes public/outside with other dogs nearby which then finally becomes training with other close dogs.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 31, 2014

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Serella posted:

Make his life the best you can. Go to the park. Spend time loafing on the couch together. Be with your buddy as long as you can.

All my ferrets died of cancer. Or rather, all my ferrets had to be put down when the cancer got too bad. Better than than if they were to just die slowly and painfully. Just know that since he's an animal, you can give him your dog a peaceful, dignified end.

I still get all choked up thinking about my ferrets sometimes. I miss the gently caress out of them. I wish it had all gone differently, but I know I made the right choices for their situations. Knowing that helps you feel better.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Weirdly, he is really fine right now, so we are just keeping stuff as fun and normal as possible until (unless?) he shows any signs other than the superficial stuff right now.
He still seems happy though, which puts me at ease quite a bit.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

pizzadog posted:

Yes, my wife and myself each had a dog and we even had the roommate who interacts with them the most out of them with us to help out, not enough hands ever for treats and stuff.
This was actually the 2nd class, the first class last sunday their 'trial period' freebie went better than this, but similarly, this time felt like a backtrack and they hadn't charged me for the course yet. The trainers suggested private classes because this is probably past their threshold so they likely won't come back from it and learn, and they could even progress backwards.

Are they really 100% without distractions? My guess is that their foundation isn't as strong as you might think. But if they are, it's time to start adding distractions slowly and giving them tools to deal with them (see the books and megathread for tools).

Right now it sounds like "alone with you in your bathroom" is 0 on the distraction scale and "class in a strange area with strange dogs" is a 10. They don't know how to cope at a 10. So, make a list of all the places where you can work your dogs. Be creative. And specific. Maybe "in kitchen when dinner is being prepared" is a 3, and "inside the front door" is a 4, "outside front door" is a 5, "outside front door when another dog walks by" may be a 9, a Petsmart parking lot early in the morning" may be a 4...

Arrange all of the locations per their level, and begin working your way up. Don't go onto the next level of distraction until you're 80-90%+ successful at the previous stage. Not only will your dogs learn how to cope with distractions, soon what used to be a 10 will be a 3 as they learn to generalize and learn to love working with you.

Consider clicker training if you've not done it already. It's clear, distinct and goes hand in hand with reinforcement-based training. You'll teach your dog to pay attention to you because you're the most rewarding thing in their life. It's a great relationship builder and can be hugely successful.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

a life less posted:

Are they really 100% without distractions? My guess is that their foundation isn't as strong as you might think. But if they are, it's time to start adding distractions slowly and giving them tools to deal with them (see the books and megathread for tools).

Right now it sounds like "alone with you in your bathroom" is 0 on the distraction scale and "class in a strange area with strange dogs" is a 10. They don't know how to cope at a 10. So, make a list of all the places where you can work your dogs. Be creative. And specific. Maybe "in kitchen when dinner is being prepared" is a 3, and "inside the front door" is a 4, "outside front door" is a 5, "outside front door when another dog walks by" may be a 9, a Petsmart parking lot early in the morning" may be a 4...

Arrange all of the locations per their level, and begin working your way up. Don't go onto the next level of distraction until you're 80-90%+ successful at the previous stage. Not only will your dogs learn how to cope with distractions, soon what used to be a 10 will be a 3 as they learn to generalize and learn to love working with you.

Consider clicker training if you've not done it already. It's clear, distinct and goes hand in hand with reinforcement-based training. You'll teach your dog to pay attention to you because you're the most rewarding thing in their life. It's a great relationship builder and can be hugely successful.

Thank you this really helps to outline it a lot better for me! I am doing clicker training already as well.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

hallo spacedog posted:

This might be a really stupid question, but how can I better prepare myself for the inevitable?

My dog has (with as much certainty as a vet can have without an MRI, etc) a brain tumor/mass, and I can't afford to justify operating on him.

Right now they have some of his issues controlled with prednisone (head droop,drooling, dizziness, instability) and the vet says that as long as it keeps working they'll keep him on it, but when it stops working and he gets worse again, obviously if his quality of life deteriorates we have to put him down.
She said it could be one year, but it could also be a month.

So... I know that it's just a matter of time. What do I do... how do I handle this feeling?

I feel really really bad right now, like throwing up and sobbing at the same time.

Consider talking to a counsellor or to someone close to you. Right now you're going through grieving. Perfectly understandable but it can help to talk to someone about it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I remember a while back there was a general bugs/creepy crawlies thread in PI and I quite liked it. One of the things it included or linked to was a terrifying experiment written about in a magazine where moth cocoons were, say, cut in half, then reattached with a hollow glass cylinder between the pieces, and the resulting body horror moths studied (they couldn't fly very well, from memory). Or, say, only the front half of the cocoon was allowed to develop, resulting in only the front half of the moth forming.

It was pretty horrifying (it was heavy on pictures) and I was wondering if anyone has a link to it, because I want to prove to myself that I didn't dream this up. The thread itself was pretty good, too, moths are very cute insects. :) But I can find cute moths everywhere.

e: Oh hey there is an invertebrate thread here still :downs: I'll ask there, but if anyone here knows what I'm talking about, feel free to answer.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 2, 2014

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I remember a while back there was a general bugs/creepy crawlies thread in PI and I quite liked it. One of the things it included or linked to was a terrifying experiment written about in a magazine where moth cocoons were, say, cut in half, then reattached with a hollow glass cylinder between the pieces, and the resulting body horror moths studied (they couldn't fly very well, from memory). Or, say, only the front half of the cocoon was allowed to develop, resulting in only the front half of the moth forming.

It was pretty horrifying (it was heavy on pictures) and I was wondering if anyone has a link to it, because I want to prove to myself that I didn't dream this up. The thread itself was pretty good, too, moths are very cute insects. :) But I can find cute moths everywhere.

e: Oh hey there is an invertebrate thread here still :downs: I'll ask there, but if anyone here knows what I'm talking about, feel free to answer.

I have the book with the pictures in but I'll have to get it out the attic. If you find the pics in the next 24 hours post here, if not I'll sort it for you tomorrow night.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sanford posted:

I have the book with the pictures in but I'll have to get it out the attic. If you find the pics in the next 24 hours post here, if not I'll sort it for you tomorrow night.

That's great! Thank you. :) I am glad to know I didn't dream up the terrifying moth golems.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Here you go. Sorry about quality; no scanner available. If you want a better/closer look at anything just say so.

You can consider the nightmare moths as payback for all those gay centaurs you posted elsewhere :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sanford posted:

Here you go. Sorry about quality; no scanner available. If you want a better/closer look at anything just say so.

You can consider the nightmare moths as payback for all those gay centaurs you posted elsewhere :)

Wow, thank you very much! This is exactly it :) This is perfect.

And creepy moth golems do seem like a good penance for all the gay centaurs.

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

edit #3: never mind, researching and working on it is giving results

This is Delco, who came to live with us last Saturday. The shelter estimates his age at around a year.

I think we're having problems with fear aggression, but I'm not positive, as I've never seen this behavior before, and I've been around or had GSDs since I was a child.

We have 4 kids still at home, 3,5,6 and 11. Delco bonded to me immediately, and loved our 20 year old daughter right off the bat. He was a little iffy on the kids the first day he was home, and warmed up to my husband slowly, but sooner than he did to the kids. The next day, he let the kids pet him and throw toys for him.

Sorry if this is all over the place and long as gently caress; I'm hoping details will help.

Just when it seemed he was going to be settling in nicely, my husband approached the couch where he was sitting next to me, and Delco growled at him. He laid his ears back, but he didn't look fierce or aggressive, he looked scared. When I got up and motioned the dog to the floor, he was all happy, open mouth, pricked ears and begging my husband to pet him. A couple of days later, he growled at my eleven year old son when he walked in the room after school, and started barking at him. Delco was on the couch next to me again. I thought it was maybe a couch thing, but then he started doing it in the kitchen, too. He does it only to my husband and my 11 year old. He adores and plays with the little kids, especially the 3 year old.

He scared the piss out of my son today after school, because he ran over to bark at him as soon as he walked in the door from school, and also leaned in to nip the side of his leg (missed). He is so scared of this dog now and I'm totally at a loss figuring it out or how the gently caress to fix it. I had him wear one of my sweatshirts that I'd worn, I've been having him have treats ready as soon as he sees him, and he still does it. He'll stop and get petted and bring a ball over, and then he'll suddenly decide he needs to bark and posture at him.

Dust Radio fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 6, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
My old family dog (an 11-year old beagle mix) just had one of her front legs amputated due to a Nerf-football-sized tumor slowly taking over her body. I did some online research and talked to the vet, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with amputee dogs and had any suggestions or tips. In particular, how well do they handle stairs? We have a small set of stairs, three steps, that separate the den where she likes to sleep from the living room where she normally hangs out in the day. My research suggests they should be able to take them up eventually--slowly--but I'm worried as to how well she'll be able to go down.

She seems to have adapted extremely quickly. She hopped all over the house before tiring out and crashing in her bed for a nap :unsmith:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

My old family dog (an 11-year old beagle mix) just had one of her front legs amputated
Years ago my family had a blue heeler that had to have a front leg amputated. After about 2 days recovery (all that he could stand) he was back to jumping in & out of the truck. He had to figure out new approaches to obstacles but he was just as active an happy as he was before. I'm sure your dog will just have to take stairs more slowly at first but after awhile he won't have any problems.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Is it possible to "de-meow" a cat? :ohdear:

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm asking because I'm petsitting and she's...odd. Or at least her vocalizations are.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

kinmik posted:

Is it possible to "de-meow" a cat? :ohdear:

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm asking because I'm petsitting and she's...odd. Or at least her vocalizations are.

I guess in theory it would be the same as the debarking procedure, but I doubt it's ever done. Some cats just sound more ridiculous than others.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

My 9 months old pit got an ear infection, she got a cleaning yesterday with a medicated ointment and an antibiotic script. All I know about doggy ear infections is lop eared dogs are more likely to get them and from my experience cocker spaniels always get them, and she is pricked/button eared. Reading up on ear infections I read they can be caused by water in ears, allergies, or yeast in their food, and none of these apply that I know of, of course if they turn out to be chronic I will have to get her allergy tested, but she doesn't like to or play in water and we live in bone-dry Socal, she didn't have a foxtail in there, and her food has no grains - some of her treats might though. Anything else I can look for or do to prevent them after this one has run its course?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Joburg posted:

Years ago my family had a blue heeler that had to have a front leg amputated. After about 2 days recovery (all that he could stand) he was back to jumping in & out of the truck. He had to figure out new approaches to obstacles but he was just as active an happy as he was before. I'm sure your dog will just have to take stairs more slowly at first but after awhile he won't have any problems.

Wanted to thank you for the reply, showing it to my mom really helped ease her mind. And it was true, she's recovering splendidly. We just went for a walk and everything :3:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Is science diet okay for cats

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Also my cat chases her tail sometimes is she okay

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Is science diet okay for cats

Yes, it is okay.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Also my cat chases her tail sometimes is she okay

Yes, it is a cat.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Dogs chasing their tail too much can be a sign of OCD, don't know if that's a thing for cats.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

thatbastardken posted:

Dogs chasing their tail too much can be a sign of OCD, don't know if that's a thing for cats.

Yeah, I've been getting home late and out a lot, I was wondering if this was causing it :(

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Our family adopted a 2 month-old female Golden Retriever yesterday (our first foray in an actual "breed" after a lifetime of mongrels so go easy on me!) and we were wondering if it's normal for them to just sleep and rest like most of the day? After eating she will do her thing then take a nap after that for about a couple of hours, wake up and play with us then nap again. Rinse repeat.

Just curious if this is completely normal given her age since I don't want her to grow up to be bored or maybe a loaf.

edit - A quick Google search says that it's normal. She does have a weak appetite though eating only about 20% of 1/2 cup of dog food.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 13, 2014

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Dog I've had for about five years has this occasional thing where he gets super restless at night, pacing and panting, no interest in treats, wants to go outside for ten seconds, needs to be on the bed, needs to be off, repeat, generally making sleep impossible. I know this sort of thing is fairly common since it gets tons of google results, but nothing seems definitive. He's been to the vet, no symptoms of anything (though over the past couple of years we've been through "maybe disc problems" to "maybe a skin condition"). He's perfectly normal in the day, but something kicks in a night -- suddenly he'll bolt upright and need to pace around. Have tried these valerian pills, benadryl back when allergies were suspected, now we have the pheromone collar thing, but really it just seems to kick in regardless and randomly, these days maybe twice a week.

So I thought I'd add to the indeterminate google results by contributing this. What other things might I try to get Mr Poops here to calm down at night? Also, it's not storms or fireworks or anything like that.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Disharmony posted:

Our family adopted a 2 month-old female Golden Retriever yesterday (our first foray in an actual "breed" after a lifetime of mongrels so go easy on me!) and we were wondering if it's normal for them to just sleep and rest like most of the day? After eating she will do her thing then take a nap after that for about a couple of hours, wake up and play with us then nap again. Rinse repeat.

Just curious if this is completely normal given her age since I don't want her to grow up to be bored or maybe a loaf.

edit - A quick Google search says that it's normal. She does have a weak appetite though eating only about 20% of 1/2 cup of dog food.

I was going to say it could be totally normal, but the weak appetite thing combined with the lethargy could be concerning. Has she gone to the vet for a wellness/puppy check yet? How are her poops?

Some Goldens are crazily chill, but most are pretty busy dogs that need a lot of work to tire.

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Dog I've had for about five years has this occasional thing where he gets super restless at night, pacing and panting, no interest in treats, wants to go outside for ten seconds, needs to be on the bed, needs to be off, repeat, generally making sleep impossible. I know this sort of thing is fairly common since it gets tons of google results, but nothing seems definitive. He's been to the vet, no symptoms of anything (though over the past couple of years we've been through "maybe disc problems" to "maybe a skin condition"). He's perfectly normal in the day, but something kicks in a night -- suddenly he'll bolt upright and need to pace around. Have tried these valerian pills, benadryl back when allergies were suspected, now we have the pheromone collar thing, but really it just seems to kick in regardless and randomly, these days maybe twice a week.

So I thought I'd add to the indeterminate google results by contributing this. What other things might I try to get Mr Poops here to calm down at night? Also, it's not storms or fireworks or anything like that.

My first thought was pain. My second thought was anxiety. She may be picking up on sounds or smells that you can't. If you've for sure ruled out health as a cause and are trying to address possible anxiety, I'd probably crate him at night. He could be feeding into his own anxiety by pacing, and giving him a safe, comfortable den at night could help break the habit.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

pizzadog posted:

My 9 months old pit got an ear infection, she got a cleaning yesterday with a medicated ointment and an antibiotic script. All I know about doggy ear infections is lop eared dogs are more likely to get them and from my experience cocker spaniels always get them, and she is pricked/button eared. Reading up on ear infections I read they can be caused by water in ears, allergies, or yeast in their food, and none of these apply that I know of, of course if they turn out to be chronic I will have to get her allergy tested, but she doesn't like to or play in water and we live in bone-dry Socal, she didn't have a foxtail in there, and her food has no grains - some of her treats might though. Anything else I can look for or do to prevent them after this one has run its course?

I think sometimes they just happen. My heeler (so, prick-eared and not prone to them) got one some years ago and it never recurred. Maybe keep an eye on any buildup and clean the ear occasionally if you notice excessive buildup, but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

a life less posted:

I was going to say it could be totally normal, but the weak appetite thing combined with the lethargy could be concerning. Has she gone to the vet for a wellness/puppy check yet? How are her poops?

Some Goldens are crazily chill, but most are pretty busy dogs that need a lot of work to tire.

Problem solved! Turns out she doesn't like milk; I experimented with soaking her food in warm water and she wolfed it all down.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Last week I noticed my 15 year old cat had those eye crusts (rheum). So I got them out for him with a tissue. Then, the next day, I noticed them again. Now I am seeing them every day almost. Is this normal/OK? Should I be concerned? Should I be removing them, or just leave it be?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

a life less posted:

My first thought was pain. My second thought was anxiety. She may be picking up on sounds or smells that you can't. If you've for sure ruled out health as a cause and are trying to address possible anxiety, I'd probably crate him at night. He could be feeding into his own anxiety by pacing, and giving him a safe, comfortable den at night could help break the habit.

I agree, though I'd put anxiety first. Sometimes wildlife will make nests, traverse under houses or in walls, that sort of thing, and the dog picks up on it and either tries to find it or spazzes out because something is happening but they don't know what.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!

HelloSailorSign posted:

I agree, though I'd put anxiety first. Sometimes wildlife will make nests, traverse under houses or in walls, that sort of thing, and the dog picks up on it and either tries to find it or spazzes out because something is happening but they don't know what.

Sorry for not responding sooner, for some reason not much sleep. Anyhow, re: wild animals; we live in an urban area, there are squirrels, raccoons, and rats I suppose — and our attic really does need to be patched up — but Angus here does not really care about other animals. Like, a squirrel in the park? No reaction. Cat? A curious sniff at most. Other dogs, it's more about getting a sniff in without being sniffed himself. He's got this scientifically detached thing going on. Also just to be clear, he is by far not a hunting/herding/guard dog, he's a Shih Tzu X Dachshund X terrier of some sort. Sleeps all day, I have video proof. Also most nights, until lately. So unless it's about sounds that I can't hear and he's upset about, I dunno. Maybe I should set up some sort of white noise generator?

The weird thing is, he'll be basically his inert self, apparently asleep, and apropos of nothing he'll bolt awake and the circus begins. It's not a sideways poop (he doesn't like to poop in his own yard), I have taken him out for (hour long at 3AM) walks when this happens and I get nothing other than a dog checking his usual mail. Nightmares? Do dogs get nightmares?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Nightmares? Do dogs get nightmares?

This is a possibility. My normally very lazy, docile cat has terrible nightmares that cause her to wake up hissing, swiping, and howling. It only takes her half a second to realize everything's okay and whatever she was dreaming about wasn't real, but she usually does get snugglier afterward as though she wants to be comforted. No idea why she gets the nightmares, and they didn't start until she was 9 or 10.

Again, though, she always immediately recognizes that whatever she was worked up about wasn't real. Maybe your dog is just dumber?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

Melicious posted:

This is a possibility. My normally very lazy, docile cat has terrible nightmares that cause her to wake up hissing, swiping, and howling. It only takes her half a second to realize everything's okay and whatever she was dreaming about wasn't real, but she usually does get snugglier afterward as though she wants to be comforted. No idea why she gets the nightmares, and they didn't start until she was 9 or 10.

Again, though, she always immediately recognizes that whatever she was worked up about wasn't real. Maybe your dog is just dumber?

Well, he's no cat, but I've met dumber dogs. He has me trained pretty well at least.

Sitrep: he's apparently asleep, but has had one bolting-awake thing so far tonight. Just about bedtime for humans, if I post again within 7 hours then argh.

Edit: yay

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 15, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I would appreciate some recommendations for a vacuum cleaner that's good for a home with pets--3 cats and 3 dogs that all shed horribly in this case. Currently replacing a Dyson that did its job well enough, but I'm open to any brand. I don't care about price at this point.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Should I be wary of a dog rescue that refers to their dogs as furbabies?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Muscular Typist posted:

Should I be wary of a dog rescue that refers to their dogs as furbabies?

Depends. Are you looking to adopt or foster with them? If you need to have prolonged working contact that could be interesting. If you are adopting, it could either be fine or a complete psychotic shitshow.

Some of the crazier ones will try and delve very heavily into your life and if you give them a bad vibe (or wear a "bad" shirt) they'll deny you adopting which can be frustrating. Rarely, they will gloss over the animal's bad habits (fear aggression, medical condition, or destructive behaviors) to try and get them adopted, hoping that after you adopt it you will feel inclined to fix it (and expect you to fix it, because why wouldn't you, you monster?).

As long as you come at it with a "if bad things happen I'm okay pulling out and going elsewhere to adopt" then you could come up with some comedy gold to share. If you are worried you may get emotional or attached to an animal too fast and then won't be able to extract from the crazy, then I would recommend avoidance.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Depends. Are you looking to adopt or foster with them? If you need to have prolonged working contact that could be interesting. If you are adopting, it could either be fine or a complete psychotic shitshow.

Some of the crazier ones will try and delve very heavily into your life and if you give them a bad vibe (or wear a "bad" shirt) they'll deny you adopting which can be frustrating. Rarely, they will gloss over the animal's bad habits (fear aggression, medical condition, or destructive behaviors) to try and get them adopted, hoping that after you adopt it you will feel inclined to fix it (and expect you to fix it, because why wouldn't you, you monster?).

As long as you come at it with a "if bad things happen I'm okay pulling out and going elsewhere to adopt" then you could come up with some comedy gold to share. If you are worried you may get emotional or attached to an animal too fast and then won't be able to extract from the crazy, then I would recommend avoidance.

Looking to adopt an adult papillon. The rescue in question: http://www.paphaven.org/

Other than the furbaby thing (check their virtual foster page) they seem like good people. How would you define 'very heavily?' Any warning signs I should look for in an application? This rescue wants two non-family personal references which seems weird for adopting a dog. I feel like I'm applying for a job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I have a 7 year old Border Collie who has had a persistent eye infection for the past week or so and OTC drops weren't working. We took her to the vet this Thursday and the vet diagnosed her with Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca and prescribed drops in her eyes every day for the rest of her life. That's all well and fine, I was just glad it wasn't distemper (we live in a rural area with lots of critter wildlife), but she absolutely hates getting drops in her eyes. She gets snippy and growly to the point where we've had to muzzle her when putting them in.

I was wondering if anyone had any strategies long or short term for getting a high strung dog to calm down and let me drop liquid in her eyes. I've tried making it a "fun" experience with treats and toys (her favourite) when she does well, but it doesn't seem to affect her. The current method is just "hold on and hope it goes in." I'd love to be able to get to the point where I can do it myself rather than the two person ordeal it is now.