Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There was a big (for us) court case about Bell charging northern customers a 911 fee even though we don't get 911 service.

When I asked about the fee in the past the answer was always, "It's automatically added by the billing software, there's nothing we can do."

How much incentive do they have to fix a problem that's making them money? Flip it around and introduce an automatic 75 cent credit for customers that shouldn't be getting it and you can bet they'd sort that software out pretty loving quickly.

edit: here's a random news article, but there have probably been some developments in the last year.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle12003832/

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lexicon posted:

Grack: curious - how much notice did you give pre-port? I had to go through a whole song and dance about that recently when I ported. Eventually got the CCTS involved and Rogers finally acquiesced.

I had called about a week before the cancellation to see if Rogers would offer a retention plan for a new contract, that's about it.

Oddly enough, while Rogers did try and add the early cancellation fee there they didn't bill for a final month of service.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

grack posted:

I had called about a week before the cancellation to see if Rogers would offer a retention plan for a new contract, that's about it.

Oddly enough, while Rogers did try and add the early cancellation fee there they didn't bill for a final month of service.

That's encouraging. I almost lost the will to live when I was talking to these CSR automatons about how "it makes sense as consumers to pay for a month of service when we port", and my retort "you're charging me for something you can't provide because the number is gone" falling on entirely deaf ears.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Anyone on Bell planning to upgrade soon (yeah, I know) do so before April 1st. Upgrade prices are low but are rising to normal pricing as of April 1st

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

Anyone on Bell planning to upgrade soon (yeah, I know) do so before April 1st. Upgrade prices are low but are rising to normal pricing as of April 1st

Clearly banking on a big April with S5 [and to a lesser extent I guess, M8] launch if prices are going up.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Godinster posted:

Clearly banking on a big April with S5 [and to a lesser extent I guess, M8] launch if prices are going up.

I was told it was because it's the end of the quarter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OilSlick posted:

I was told it was because it's the end of the quarter.

I've heard it's because it's a day ending in Y.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Lobok posted:

I've heard it's because it's a day ending in Y.

No wonder the plans cheaper in Quebec!

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
Anyone here do voip over lte? Good enough quality?

I was thinking about getting a dual sim phone (xperia m2), make voip LTE calls when in network and then when it drops down to 3g or below have Tasker do a http request to forward my incoming calls to the 2nd sim, which would be a 7/11 prepaid sim valid for a year. and the reverse once LTE is available again. Cheap calls and texts while in the city and not being limited to the LTE zone.

Alas the xperia m2 is LTE, but the dual variant is 3g only which has much more latency that LTE.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

ColonelMoutard posted:

Anyone here do voip over lte? Good enough quality?

More than good enough. FaceTime Audio, Skype, Hangouts, and Rogers OneNumber (I use them all to some degree) work magnificently over LTE. Even when video is enabled.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Z2 is apparently a Bell exclusive in Canada. Now I don't have to be tempted, I guess.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So Virgin Mobile has changed their pay per use data rates without a peep to customers. I just got a nasty bill because I was under the assumption the rates were still the same (1 GB for $20, or if you go over, up to 3GB for $30) but now it's a paltry $20 for 500MB and an additional $5/250MB. Sigh.

Edit: just realized they silently changed my plan amount too -- previously it was a $25 plan, now it's mysteriously a $28 plan. Kinda glad they did this because I think they're free to change their pay per use rates whenever they want, but they sure as poo poo aren't allowed to just change the price of my plan. If you're with Virgin, scrutinize your next bill.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Might be regional. Where do you live? My plan hasn't changed ($25/m with $15 data addon (500mb)). I'm in Montreal.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm in Southern Ontario, near Toronto.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

That's interesting. I didn't notice that and at first I was hoping it would affect me but:

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/support/dataupdate.html

Think I might switch to wind. The 3gb/30 at virgin was good but at these rates I'm thinking I'll be better off with wind, even with their limitations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just noticed that you can still get a 2GB data addon for $25 http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/features/features-summary.html?dType=deviceType_DATASMRT

So, it's not quite as terrible as the new pay per use rates. That page says as of "June 2014" so it seems like they jumped the gun applying the changes to my bill. I was wondering why it was without any notice.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Speaking of Virgin, is anyone able to access their account via their website? I can only get access to the stripped down mobile version on my phone and I'd really like to be able to see the breakdowns on my bill and junk. Its been like this since I signed up in January, just forwards me to a blank page on any browser I use.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DarkJC posted:

a paltry $20 for 500MB and an additional $5/250MB. Sigh.

This is actually Koodo's flex data after the 2 year contract change. Virgin's flex data matched Koodo's prior to the change, I'm surprised it took them this long to match them now. I guess somebody at Bell woke up and remembered "Oh yeah, we own this Virgin thing, better update our price fixing".

And as it turns out, Koodo doesn't even have flex data anymore. :cripes:

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006

nozh posted:

Speaking of Virgin, is anyone able to access their account via their website? I can only get access to the stripped down mobile version on my phone and I'd really like to be able to see the breakdowns on my bill and junk. Its been like this since I signed up in January, just forwards me to a blank page on any browser I use.

I've had no problems with it using Safari and Chrome on OS X. Are you going to https://www.virginmobile.ca/myAccount/ ?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just an update on Virgin after speaking to a rep on the phone today:

Turns out I was informed about the $3 increase to my plan, in a small box on my February bill. "To keep plans competitive". It's funny hearing them try to justify it over the phone, I could almost hear him cringe as he said it. Anyway, my fault there, guess I need to read my bills more closely.

The flex data charges he admitted was their fuckup because they sent me no notice and their website says the changes take affect June 2014, so he credited me the whole amount of pay per use charges for the month, and I added the $25/2GB addon. Gotta say at least their customer service was pretty straightforward.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 10, 2014

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the idea of keeping prices competitive was to beat the other guy on value for dollar; not leapfrog each other in a race to be the worst.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the idea of keeping prices competitive was to beat the other guy on value for dollar; not leapfrog each other in a race to be the worst.

That's why it makes no sense. It's outright Orwellian doublespeak.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Nope, like I said in an earlier post, they find ways to compete beyond pricing. They may be bullshit reasons, but that's how they think. I went to a head office meeting last month where they pretty much reinforced that reasoning. Basically they showed how all 3 carriers were the same price, but one had more features/towers than the other, so why not go with the one who has the most? In fact, is that not worth a couple more dollars?

Again, I know this doesn't line up with how normal consumers think, but that's how their logic works.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"We feel we're worth a premium price!"

Rogers™ :fuckoff:

Rogers delenda est

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

OilSlick posted:

Nope, like I said in an earlier post, they find ways to compete beyond pricing. They may be bullshit reasons, but that's how they think. I went to a head office meeting last month where they pretty much reinforced that reasoning. Basically they showed how all 3 carriers were the same price, but one had more features/towers than the other, so why not go with the one who has the most? In fact, is that not worth a couple more dollars?

Again, I know this doesn't line up with how normal consumers think, but that's how their logic works.

I don't think that's how their logic works. I think the way their logic works is that the best way to generate more revenue is to increase prices. The talking points are just marketing. They love to tell us (front line sales / support) how to "position" price increases to customers; bullshit lines like "To keep plans competitive."

I will concede that coverage is not an issue at all with anyone here in Southern Ontario except the wind / mobilicties, but we all know that they are making money hand over fist. The marginal cost of putting up a few more towers - relatively - doesn't justify a $3 or $5 price increase across the board.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Here in BC with virgin mobile and my contract is up in a week, so I had this idea to call and threaten to go else where to get a better plan but when I look into all other mobile providers plans to get an idea of what I could get, the plans are all poo poo ALL poo poo. Currently paying $50 for unlimited calls/texts/voicemail/1GB data. Best plan I could find with 1GB of data is what I have plus $20 :downs:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't if anyone else saw that "Speeding tickets are bullshit" (paraphrased) viral video that got passed around Vancouver last year, but it basically demolished any arguments for issuing speeding tickets on certain roads. It (along with a really easy to use form that sent a letter to your local MLA) actually got the guys in charge to do some auditing.

Any chance that something like that would push Ottawa to (try to) nationalize the telecomm industry? Would that even be a good thing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ottawa is the reason costs are so high.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
What's the cheapest plan if I just want a dumbphone with basic talk/text? I live in British Columbia.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wind has Unlimited Canada-wide Talk & Text for $25 & tax, though coverage depends on where in B.C. you are.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mister Macys posted:

Wind has Unlimited Canada-wide Talk & Text for $25 & tax, though coverage depends on where in B.C. you are.

Okanagan Valley, looks like I'm fine. That's still pretty expensive, though. drat.

I just googled it looks you can get plans like that for $10 in the USA.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It was $20 two months ago, too. :tinfoil:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
My brother had a pretty weird situation come up, I was hoping to see if anyone here had any idea on what to do. He was with Wind a few months, did one of their Windtab things and got a Blackberry Q5 (I know, I know) and all was fine. Last week his phone stops working entirely, he digs into it and finds out the IMEI is blacklisted by Bell due to a fraud investigation. This was a phone sold to him by a Wind store directly. He takes it up with Wind who keeps insisting its a Bell problem and won't acknowledge the issue beyond that. He escalates it to one of their corporate contacts who promises to make it right and get him a new phone. A day later the guys rescinds the offer and just offers a $80 credit. So he has some lovely loaner phone from Wind and a useless Q5 that they seem to expect him to pay for.

He has called Bell directly who have insisted its been blacklisted not once but twice due to a fraud investigation and that Wind sold him a previously stolen phone.

I have no experience with this and I'm not sure where he can go from here in terms of getting the phone/tab wiped off his account. He wants nothing to do with Wind after this experience and I can't say I blame him, it's got me reconsidering doing business with them too.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 22, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When Wind builds more coverage in Richmond BC, I'll go with them. There is zero reception at my office so no point for me as I spend 8-10 hours a day there :(

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Gunslinger posted:

My brother had a pretty weird situation come up, I was hoping to see if anyone here had any idea on what to do. He was with Wind a few months, did one of their Windtab things and got a Blackberry Q5 (I know, I know) and all was fine. Last week his phone stops working entirely, he digs into it and finds out the IMEI is blacklisted by Bell due to a fraud investigation. This was a phone sold to him by a Wind store directly. He takes it up with Wind who keeps insisting its a Bell problem and won't acknowledge the issue beyond that. He escalates it to one of their corporate contacts who promises to make it right and get him a new phone. A day later the guys rescinds the offer and just offers a $80 credit. So he has some lovely loaner phone from Wind and a useless Q5 that they seem to expect him to pay for.

He has called Bell directly who have insisted its been blacklisted not once but twice due to a fraud investigation and that Wind sold him a previously stolen phone.

I have no experience with this and I'm not sure where he can go from here in terms of getting the phone/tab wiped off his account. He wants nothing to do with Wind after this experience and I can't say I blame him, it's got me reconsidering doing business with them too.

I wonder if it could be a typo in the IMEI. Would be quite surprising given the IMEI checksum digit.

Did Wind sell him a used phone they claimed was new or did he know it was used? Did it seem like new packaging? Did the phone have someone else's data on it or seem like it had been handled since it was packaged?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

That is very odd indeed. Phones don't just end up in a store's inventory like that. They would come directly from a manufacturer. The odds of a used phone somehow slipping its way into a store like that are so insanely high that your brother is lucky a loving rattlesnake didn't jump out of the box and bite him in the face when he opened it.

Does he still have his paperwork? If so, does the paperwork actually document the device type and the discount given off the device, and does the IMEI match? If so, that is insanely odd, because if your paperwork shows the IMEI of the device and then mentions the discount you were given, that means that it truly was a part of Wind's inventory as their activation system must have recognized what it was in order to know how much to subsidize it. Is the IMEI listed on his actual receipt?

Also, are they looking at the IMEI that is stored in the settings of the phone itself? (i.e, not the printed one on the box)

Can Bell tell you what store it originated from?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Actually, Gunslinger, if you want, you can PM me the IMEI of the device. I can confirm if it is indeed listed as lost/stolen, and I may be able to determine what store it came from (only if it came from an actual Bell corporate store. If I don't find it, it may have come from Futureshop or Walmart or something)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Apparently they sold it as new, Wind franchises get all of their phones from a central supplier that head office deals with. The phone did have someone else's info in the sense that when someone tried to BBM him the picture was of some random chick and was in retrospect probably the girl whose phone it was before him. The package was not opened but only was sealed by a single clear round tape sticker, and does not look factory sealed. He never saw it come out of plastic, it was already unwrapped when the girl took it out. He bought it at one of the Oakville ones.

I will get the IMEI from him, thanks for any offers of help. Assuming Wind refuses to make it right, does he have any recourse? I don't know what to tell him except trying small claims court.

Edit: He said the IMEI matches the paperwork. I'm going to get him to forward it to me and I will PM it to you later OilSlick.

Any ideas on what the hell he can do if Wind keeps giving him the runaround? I can barely wrap my head around the bullshit here. They basically sold him a stolen phone somehow and now expect him to pay off his full tab balance for it even though its totally loving useless. Wasn't there some government body for disputes or something?

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So I'm thinking of getting a cheap WP8.1 phone for shits and giggles. Does anyone know if I can still get a Lumia 620 for $100? It doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.