Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fatherdog posted:

Why is cold good for controllers? Frostcheese is good, but additional piles of damage is more of a striker thing than a controller thing.
Cold is usually accompanied by slow, or other good controller-y things.

Case in point, Vanilla Icestorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Psychic also tends to be a good controller element re: Psychic Lock (plus a ton of controller powers are psychic by default).

e: Also I can't remember if you can poach Eldritch Blast/Strike with Dilettante, but those are probably your best bet if you're doing it for a basic attack.

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 12, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

Cold is usually accompanied by slow, or other good controller-y things.

Case in point, Vanilla Icestorm.

...your case in point has half of frostcheese and a feat that gives -2 to fort whenhit by cold attacks. I'm not necessarily disbelieving your point, but your case needs some serious work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fatherdog posted:

...your case in point has half of frostcheese and a feat that gives -2 to fort whenhit by cold attacks. I'm not necessarily disbelieving your point, but your case needs some serious work.
Whoooops, so it does.

I'll shut up for now, go re-research my case.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Psychic also tends to be a good controller element re: Psychic Lock (plus a ton of controller powers are psychic by default).

e: Also I can't remember if you can poach Eldritch Blast/Strike with Dilettante, but those are probably your best bet if you're doing it for a basic attack.

You can, and they are.

(well, the Sorc probably has some RBAs that are better than Blast, but Strike is definitely the best MBA.)

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

P.d0t posted:

Are there particular damage types or conditions that are better "supported" than others?
I've heard about degenerate bullshit like Radiant Dragonbreath spamming, but I don't know much about any Radiant Mafia builds.

Probably the top of the list (in no particular order save alphabetical) would be cold, fire, psychic and radiant since they have a poo poo-ton of support. Lightning and thunder don't have quite as many options as the previous four but they're still well-supported and have several good gimmicks. Force doesn't have as strong of support, but it is one of the major ways to bypass insubstantial monsters who'd otherwise take half damage from your attacks and drag out the fight (though many of them can also be shut down by radiant damage). Acid doesn't really have all that much in terms of feat or gear support, so it's kind of neutral. Necrotic and poison are extremely difficult to work with because there aren't many boosts and such a large chunk of enemies resist them or are outright immune to them in the case of poison vs. undead (an extremely common enemy type).

Radiant is probably the easiest to work with because it's one that few enemies resist and many enemies are vulnerable to (undead in particular), plus divine characters can poo poo out radiant damage like there's no tomorrow. The radiant mafia comes from the fact that it's fairly easy to get abilities that create radiant vulnerability, such as the Power of the Sun feat which grants vulnerability 3/6/9 by tier when you hit with the at-will associated with the feat (which includes some very nice at-wills such as lance of faith and virtuous strike) and the Solar Enemy feat which is a channel divinity minor action power that increases radiant vulnerability by 5 for every enemy in the burst. The big ticket comes from the level 16 feature of the Morninglord PP, which grants radiant vulnerability 10 to every enemy you hit with a radiant power, and there are a fair number of AoE radiant abilities you could use. Praise the sun!

Once vulnerability is set up, then it becomes simply a matter of getting everyone to use radiant attacks. Even weapon users have a fairly easy time of it because of the existence of a fair number of weapons that convert your damage into radiant damage such as the sunblade (lvl 4+ heavy blade) and radiant weapons (lvl 15+ any, also adds an item bonus to radiant damage). The more people who deal radiant damage to exploit vulnerabilities, the faster you slice through your enemies.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd go with lightning/thunder over psychic. Aside from Psychic Lock, psychic isn't THAT good.

Fire is the go-to for damage these days thanks to Firewind Blade existing, in combination with Radiant thanks to Radiant One.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm going to DM for the first time, and I want to make use of Masterplan. However, the download doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm not sure if it's the site, but when I try to open up the file I'm getting an error saying the zipped folder is invalid. Is there another place for me to get it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speaking of Masterplan - sorry I can't help out beyond saying it works fine for me, and have you tried redownloading? - , I've spotted two areas where it could use a little improvement:

- you can add a custom overlay to a character's combat effects, but I haven't found a way to make that disappear automatically at a set point like other effects. A bunch of zones from wizard powers and such end at the end of the creator's turn though. It's easily remedied by creating an effect of the same name as well to serve as a reminder, but it'd be nice if it was as smooth as the rest of it.

- this one I'd actually classify as an oversight: there doesn't seem to be a way to specify bonus types. When two characters both give out a power bonus to AC, you're gonna struggle a bit with properly tracking that.

Or have I just not found the options yet?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd go with lightning/thunder over psychic. Aside from Psychic Lock, psychic isn't THAT good.

Psychic as a damage type is eh, but nearly every power that does psychic has some sort of useful effect attached to it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

You can use those powers through a damage conversion weapon and get both benefits, though - the only real benefit of psychic qua psychic is psychic lock, and I think there's a Warlock thing that gives psychic vulnerability with Curse which is nice.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm going to DM for the first time, and I want to make use of Masterplan. However, the download doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm not sure if it's the site, but when I try to open up the file I'm getting an error saying the zipped folder is invalid. Is there another place for me to get it?

Maybe try a different decompression software? I can open it with the windows 7 default files explorer, so dunno.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Rexides posted:

Maybe try a different decompression software? I can open it with the windows 7 default files explorer, so dunno.

Yeah, I'm not really sure either. I've tried 7-zip and the default file explorer. I'm thinking I'm just having trouble downloading it, as Afghanistan isn't exactly known for a blazing fast internet connection. What's the file size supposed to be? Because I've "downloaded" it as anywhere from 2 MB to 2.9 MB

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Pesticide20 posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure either. I've tried 7-zip and the default file explorer. I'm thinking I'm just having trouble downloading it, as Afghanistan isn't exactly known for a blazing fast internet connection. What's the file size supposed to be? Because I've "downloaded" it as anywhere from 2 MB to 2.9 MB

Around 5.5mb for each version I've downloaded.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pesticide20 posted:

Want to try this? I just put it on my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qwm-rNX9YEU0JkTk8ySjR3azg/edit?usp=sharing

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
In terms of building your own monsters, are there generally-accepted guidelines for conditions/status effect powers targetting particular defenses?
Like, push or prone mostly targets Fort, slide and dominate are Will.. Others?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

You can use those powers through a damage conversion weapon and get both benefits, though - the only real benefit of psychic qua psychic is psychic lock, and I think there's a Warlock thing that gives psychic vulnerability with Curse which is nice.

You find psychic powers that damage an enemy's ability to hit (of which there are many), and stack Psychic Lock, and suddenly you are locking down a monster with at-wills. -2/-4 to hit (combined with fighter marks, etc.) is one of the most powerful things you can do, because more than simply denying actions, you're making a monster waste powers completely.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You find psychic powers that damage an enemy's ability to hit (of which there are many), and stack Psychic Lock, and suddenly you are locking down a monster with at-wills. -2/-4 to hit (combined with fighter marks, etc.) is one of the most powerful things you can do, because more than simply denying actions, you're making a monster waste powers completely.

Vicious Mockery and Foolhardy Fighting say "hello"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

In practice, I tend to find Psychic Lock is rarely relevant and very fiddly to track. I play a Ranger (of all things) with it, and it very rarely actually affects anything. If it was EONT that would be something, but being only the first attack roll tends to mean the monster does a burst or blast or multi-attack and basically ignores it.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

If i take a multiclass feat into say... bard from Monk, does that count as me being an arcane class for Paragon Paths/Epic Destinies? Because I really want my Pixie Monk to be able to turn into a huge dragon at max level.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes it does.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Technically only for paragon paths though, but epic destinies rarely have hard prerequisites like that and in most cases it seems entirely reasonable to waive them.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The one I'm looking at: Draconic Incarnation needs me to be an arcane class, and since I'm Dex/Cha anyway I was thinking taking the multiclass bard feat that gives me a Majestic word once per day or something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Technically only for paragon paths though, but epic destinies rarely have hard prerequisites like that and in most cases it seems entirely reasonable to waive them.

No, that got updated. RC i think. It's just 'count as that class and power source for purposes of meeting prereqs' now.

NB prereqs are only things found on the prerequisite: line, not anything else, so no, that doesn't include picking powers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wish there weren't alignment restrictions on some PPs, especially when I'm in the builder and it won't show me things I don't meet the reqs for. There are a couple of PPs with weird reqs that you have to know about beforehand or you will never know they're in the builder.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The offline builder just shows the text of the prereqs in those cases I think these days, rather than applying the mechanics.

Just sayin.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Problem is that if you don't meet the prereq to begin with the PP won't show up on the list of available options. So if you're worshipping Pelor instead of Amaunator, Morninglord won't show up even though you're conceptually identical. While Morninglord and Heartwarder aren't exactly hidden, there are other more esoteric PPs that might fit your character that you might not notice just because you don't have the right fiddly stuff available.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
That one PP where you need to follow the Traveller for example. I found that one entirely by chance.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LightWarden posted:

Problem is that if you don't meet the prereq to begin with the PP won't show up on the list of available options. So if you're worshipping Pelor instead of Amaunator, Morninglord won't show up even though you're conceptually identical. While Morninglord and Heartwarder aren't exactly hidden, there are other more esoteric PPs that might fit your character that you might not notice just because you don't have the right fiddly stuff available.

Or when you're worshipping Selune and all the moon diety related feats/pps reference Sehanine?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

djw175 posted:

That one PP where you need to follow the Traveller for example. I found that one entirely by chance.

Think of all you've been missing. Traveler's Harlequin is such a sweet PP, I really can't help taking it with almost every character I build.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

No, that got updated. RC i think. It's just 'count as that class and power source for purposes of meeting prereqs' now.
I thought it might have but I couldn't find it in the PHB errata nor an entry for multiclassing in the RC's index.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Might have been PH3 then. It wasn't in errata though I don't think.

Either way, it's a sensible rule, even if it's a house rule.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LightWarden posted:

I ran into some trouble when I was looking for illusionist PPs and at length found Phiarlan Phantasmist, which actually requires you to have Mark of Shadow, IIRC.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tried my hand at setting up an encounter that is more of a puzzle with combat mechanics than straight up combat. Storywise, the setup is that the party assassin is investigating the ruins of the old assassin guild and comes across an ancient training robot. This thing hits hard, is incredibly tough to take down, but if you're a properly trained assassin and you start doing your thing it'll go down in no time.

Mechanically I set that up as a solo monster with unreasonably high damage resistance that doesn't apply to shroud attacks and equally unreasonable vulnerability to the same. It also has a simple routine that's easy to exploit: it'll keep lighting torches throughout the fight, depriving the assassin of places to hide, but it can also remove conditions from itself and it will a) do either one or the other and b) always prioritize removing conditions.

So, assassin's job: hide, place shrouds, come out with hugely damaging attacks. Party's job: draw robot's attention, keep themselves alive, plink away at its HP a little bit but mostly distract it from looking for the real threat with conditions. And mess with the playing field in any other way they can think of.

e: aaaand I realized I'm gonna have to apply one hell of a vulnerability if I want one attack with maximum shrouds to make up for 2-4 rounds of six characters doing 10 less damage than they're supposed to. Not as easy as I thought, this.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 18, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly, it's risky doing any of this sort of lead man and sidekicks stuff - if the assassin goes down to an unlucky crit the party's screwed, and that's not even taking into account the fact that people don't like being sidekicks...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a very good point but I figure it's just one semi-combat, and everyone has their big personal quest where they get to be the driving force behind the plot for a while and really shine in at least one specific situation. That's more or less the premise behind the campaign, six people who all have poo poo to do in one region and figured it'd be more fun together. Although I am a bit worried about that and at the very least I'll make sure to ask them if that's a thing I should bother with setting up in the future.

The chance of an errant crit is something else, though. Shouldn't happen if they follow their established basic tactics (the robot is dumb as poo poo and hiding will be easy), but "shouldn't happen if the players" is a big thing to say in RPGs.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 18, 2014

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I kinda working on a Class and I'd like some feedback.
Not sure where to post it, because the old home-brew thread is dead,

because 4e is dead.

:negative:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

OmanyteJackson posted:

So I kinda working on a Class and I'd like some feedback.
Not sure where to post it, because the old home-brew thread is dead,

because 4e is dead.

:negative:
Post it here! This is the thread for 4e stuff, so you're home now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well i'm working on making an essentials style engineer class, with robots and bombs n' poo poo. I've only done levels 1-10 so far https://docs.google.com/document/d/13AJ9n1IA5WFBwZLsNa2EGKyByC0RoqAWjawj15ShLpk/edit#heading=h.pq9c39kvwqde

Feel free to let me know how wrong I am. this is still a work in progress.