Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KozmoNaut posted:

:stare:

Yes, I know it's an electric bollard

The Jews were behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

KozmoNaut posted:

GrandMaster posted:

The purple skin on mangosteens will stain the hell out of anything it touches.
Edit: It's also the best fruit ever.

rear end kisser. I kid.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Found this on the wikipedia page for durians:

quote:

There is saying that when a person smells Durian for the first time the smell is bad but if they eat it the next time they smell the fruit is smells very good to them.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Starks posted:

Found this on the wikipedia page for durians:

quote:

There is saying that when a person smells Durian for the first time the smell is bad but if they eat it the next time they smell the fruit is smells very good to them.

There's a saying I say that says that saying is bullshit, and durian smells and tastes loving disgusting no matter how many times you expose yourself to it.

I got some durian paste as part of a Goon snack exchange, and fed it to my little brother who was always talking poo poo about how he wanted to eat durian, but our mother wouldn't get any for him. The pictures exist somewhere here on Something Awful and tell a story of pain and disgust.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've never had a durian, but one description I heard from some food writer or someone always stuck with me: "it's like eating a custard while sitting in a sewer"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I have eaten Durian

I didnt think it was that bad

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I have eaten Durian

I didnt think it was that bad

Name + post. Sounds legit.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

jaegerx posted:

Name + post. Sounds legit.

The weird thing about Durian is that it smells like Satan's compost pile but actually tastes good. I didn't have too much of a problem eating it, but the resulting durian burps later brought up the scent of rotten onions and spoiled cheese with every breath and led to me puking in the backyard.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

benito posted:

The weird thing about Durian is that it smells like Satan's compost pile but actually tastes good.

I'm just going to point out that Andrew Zimmern has been twice defeated by durian, and that man thinks chunky coagulated pig's blood is a lovely treat.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I love Durian, especially Durian coconut candy. I will defend Durian to my dying day. When an Asian grocery store popped up near my house and I got a big bag of the candy, the salesperson (who is my neighbor) insisted i would hate it and they'd only put it on the shelf to prank unsuspecting hipsters. Now when I go in she keeps getting me to try other Durian things. The soda was the only one I despised.

That being said, it tastes like candied onions and the burps taste like roadkill farts. But I like that.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

benito posted:

The weird thing about Durian is that it smells like Satan's compost pile but actually tastes good. I didn't have too much of a problem eating it, but the resulting durian burps later brought up the scent of rotten onions and spoiled cheese with every breath and led to me puking in the backyard.

Yes, it tastes like old onions, kind of like those Funion fried onion chips if they went very stale

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

I always thought it was an illusion, like it went between her coat and clothes or something. I've seen that gif a few times and I've always been "Huh, neat, you can't tell it's under her coat", never even considered that.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

I've never had a durian, but one description I heard from some food writer or someone always stuck with me: "it's like eating a custard while sitting in a sewer"

This is pretty much accurate, it has a nice texture and sweetness but it smells like rotting garbage. It's not worth the effort when you can make actual custard pretty easily.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

That was probably influenced by this which was a popular threadless tshirt design:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I had durian a couple of times and I threw up every time. The smell alone is enough to get me to dry heave.

It smells like garbage, tastes like garbage, and is garbage.

My dad's side of the family can't get enough of it though

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

An actual prehistoric mammal, Elasmotherium.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I had durian a couple of times and I threw up every time. The smell alone is enough to get me to dry heave.

It smells like garbage, tastes like garbage, and is garbage.

My dad's side of the family can't get enough of it though

As this thread has proven, some people like to eat poo poo. They will defend their poo poo, while insulting others for not partaking in the consumption of poo poo. Delicious food exists, and is available in vast quantities, but yet people still like to eat poo poo. Can't tell if its stubbornness, or just stupidity.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

kannonfodder posted:

As this thread has proven, some people like to eat poo poo. They will defend their poo poo, while insulting others for not partaking in the consumption of poo poo. Delicious food exists, and is available in vast quantities, but yet people still like to eat poo poo. Can't tell if its stubbornness, or just stupidity.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Almost as if people have their own... tastes? Heh, as IF

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Can we still talk about durians? I hope we can still talk about durians, because they're the only things my home country Indonesia produces besides clove cigarettes and ultraviolent action movies. My dad is one of those people who thinks durians smell like the devil's rear end in a top hat and tastes like mana from heaven. When he learned that a restaurant that exclusively made durian martabak pancakes opened and went out of business entirely while my dad was out of the country, I think he wanted to kill himself.

Me, I think they don't smell that bad and that they just taste all right.

Thank you for letting me talk about durians. I get this opportunity maybe once or twice every general election cycle. Here's a picture of a happy durian!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Caufman posted:

Can we still talk about durians? I hope we can still talk about durians, because they're the only things my home country Indonesia produces besides clove cigarettes and ultraviolent action movies. My dad is one of those people who thinks durians smell like the devil's rear end in a top hat and tastes like mana from heaven. When he learned that a restaurant that exclusively made durian martabak pancakes opened and went out of business entirely while my dad was out of the country, I think he wanted to kill himself.

Thank you for letting me talk about durians. I get this opportunity maybe once or twice every general election cycle. Here's a picture of a happy durian!

Madonna hasn't aged well, has she?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

cyberia posted:

Is there an American analogue for these strange, salty treats?

Ummm... that's a dog. We have them too.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Caufman posted:

I've had salted dried Durian, and it did not smell and was delicious.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Caufman posted:

I hope this isn't a fakepost because it is adorable

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

kannonfodder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Picna9QOo8M#t=136
(2:16 if link doesn't work somehow)

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

kannonfodder posted:

Why are you so mean to those of us brave enough to try durian

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So this is what grandma meant when she said she had to make water.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Caufman posted:

My dad is one of those people who thinks durians smell like the devil's rear end in a top hat and tastes like mana from heaven.

Durian is an odd fruit. For most people, they smell like a bucket of poo poo. Hotels in Asia ban them as carrying a slice of durian in your bag to your room will elict the same response as that poo poo-bucket: Not only will the elevator stink so bad that some people will dry heave, but it will persist for 30 mins after the carrier has gone.

Eat that durian in your room and not only will the room stink, but so will the hallway outside and people in the surrounding rooms will call reception to complain that their toilet has backed up.

However, for some people, it has no bad smell. (I think it is something like 30% of Asians and 10% of Caucasians). To me, it smells as bad as bubblegum and no more pungent than, say, pineapple or Lemon Pledge.

TLDR: I bought a bag of Durian sweets for my colleagues, thinking they tasted like fruit and instead they all got cross that I'd given them turdballs.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Durian durian durian, durian durian. Durian, durian durian durian! Durian durian. Durian: durian, durian, durian, durian. Durian!

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Chard posted:

Durian durian durian, durian durian. Durian, durian durian durian! Durian durian. Durian: durian, durian, durian, durian. Durian!

Buffalo?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So this is what grandma meant when she said she had to make water.

This is so loving gross.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chard posted:

Now I'm hungry like the wolf.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I like to think that immediately after staging this photo, the guy with the saw accidentally turned it on for real and had to spend the next month apologizing to his buddy on the floor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I always wondered about the procedural aspects behind the phrase "I'm going to tear him a new one" but I guess that's it there.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I showed this to my brother, a former union steward / carpenter / safety manager, and he pointed out they should really be wearing safety glasses to prevent sawdust from getting in their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Centripetal Horse posted:

I like to think that immediately after staging this photo, the guy with the saw accidentally turned it on for real and had to spend the next month apologizing to his buddy on the floor.

You gotta really trust your buddy to make this picture.

• Locked thread