Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

menino posted:

What is the textualist view about the OT being replaced by the NT? It seems that fundies will say something is "Biblical" and then quote the batshit parts of the OT to back it up, which is probably worse for their cause than just saying "it's my opinion". But I thought that Jesus was supposed to supplant all that crazy with a new compact?

"I come not to abolish the law but to fulfill it".

Which means the same thing but people misinterpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

menino posted:

What is the textualist view about the OT being replaced by the NT? It seems that fundies will say something is "Biblical" and then quote the batshit parts of the OT to back it up, which is probably worse for their cause than just saying "it's my opinion". But I thought that Jesus was supposed to supplant all that crazy with a new compact?

God Hates Fags

Matthew 5:17-19 posted:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I dreamed about BLT's falling from the sky so we can eat all the bacon we want

Acts 10:9-15 posted:

On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, and saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Pick your favorite passage depending on whether you're in the mood for ham sandwiches or burning faggots.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

menino posted:

I'm only speaking from my upbringing as a Christian kid who thought that I really had to read the Bible to know God and to be a decent person in general, so I'm not too greatly educated about the academics of it.

IIRC it's basically "follow the OT unless Jesus contradicts it specifically or says something which might modify it" for laymen like me. I used to hear Matthew 5:17-18 thrown around a lot.

Matthew 5:17-18 posted:

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Because obviously Jesus did contradict the OT, like with what foods we can eat and so on. So it's sort of like "I'm clarifying what was handed down before," which is fitting given how different God's approach is in both testaments.

e:

Then again, you need to take into account the fact that for most fundamentalists and/or evangelicals, "reading the Bible" is cracking it open during sermon once a week to read along with the preacher, who then explains to them what the passage means, adding his own flavor to it sometimes. Sometimes they do "bible study," which often is more like being told at the session which passages to read, and then going home and reading them and getting ready to be talked to about them next week. In that case the religious figure is still directed what they read as well as the discussion around it.

Mineaiki fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Louisiana legislature is naming an official state book. Take a wild guess what they've picked.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Joementum posted:

The Louisiana legislature is naming an official state book. Take a wild guess what they've picked.

Oh thank god, my first thought was 'Atlas Shrugged' because that's the go to favorite 'life changing' book for a lot of republicans. Though I have to wonder how kosher this is in regards to the First Amendment.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

menino posted:

Romans, Chapter 3:

20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin....27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. Because of what law? The law that requires works? No, because of the law that requires faith. 28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

Also, for the "fulfill" thing, in what language is fulfill a synonym for clarify, amend, or reiterate? I've always taken that to mean that Jesus fulfilled the law by dying for our sins, so we don't have to earn God's forgiveness by following the law anymore.

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 14, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I was going to make a "yeah, but which version" quip, but I see they've addressed that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

I was going to make a "yeah, but which version" quip, but I see they've addressed that.

Which technically opens the door for all the misprint and heretical Bibles :getin:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

Oh thank god, my first thought was 'Atlas Shrugged' because that's the go to favorite 'life changing' book for a lot of republicans. Though I have to wonder how kosher this is in regards to the First Amendment.

I was kind of thinking The Clansman by Thomas Dixon but I guess that would have been a little over the top.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

menino posted:

Jesus says he has come to fulfill the law, not to replace it. Christians still believe the OT is divine and has to be followed. Nothing was replaced. For why Christians seemingly don't follow large portions of the OT you only need to look up 'biblical hermeneutics.' It's the method of interpreting the Bible that explains why Christians follow some parts of the Bible but not others. You may find this intellectually unsatisfactory.

E: beaten, and by better posts

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 14, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Luigi Thirty posted:

Rick Scott is an expert on healthcare and insurance! :shepface:

I will gladly take anyone over this rear end in a top hat, even Charlie Crist.

I was fortunate enough to escape FL but please tell me thats not the options for Floridians for the next gubernatorial race. Thats like choosing between getting shot in the head or being burned to death. Clearly getting shot in the head is better but you're still loving dead at the end of it.

Armani posted:

Sorry to bring back LF chat briefly (not really) but I loved the forum alone for this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/

I've been rereading this and while I remember most of it I forgot some of the more hilariously hosed up details like Seimens trying to get a copyright on the name Zyklon with the intention of using it on a new line of gas ovens.

Could we do a modern day version of the most evil companies in the world thread?

I want to talk about the banana companies.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I was fortunate enough to escape FL but please tell me thats not the options for Floridians for the next gubernatorial race. Thats like choosing between getting shot in the head or being burned to death. Clearly getting shot in the head is better but you're still loving dead at the end of it.

Nope. It's going to be newly converted Democrat Charlie Crist vs Rick "Bat Boy" Scott.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://abcnews.go.com/US/73-year-custody-fatal-jewish-center-shooting/story?id=23310932

Speaking of the Clansman, the spree shooter at the Jewish Center was a former Grand Dragon of the KKK.

quote:

The 73-year-old man charged with murder in the shooting at a Jewish community center and retirement community in Overland Park, Kansas, that left three people dead is reportedly the former Grand Dragon of the Carolina Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

Fraiser Glenn Cross Jr., of Aurora, Mo., was taken into custody in the parking lot of an elementary school near the scene of the shootings, and was booked on a charge of first degree murder, according to the Johnson County, Kansas, Sheriff's Office.

Cross is an alias for Frasier Glenn Miller, the former KKK leader, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

In a statement released tonight, the SPLC said it was able to identify Cross as Miller after a phone conversation with Miller's wife, Marge, in which she told them police had come to her home and told her that her husband had been arrested in the shootings.

The address listed by the sheriff's office for Cross is the same address Frazier Glenn Miller used when filing candidate papers to run for Congress in Missouri in 2006 and when he sued the secretary of state for refusing to let him on the ballot.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So I went to the Salt Lake County Democratic convention the other day, and will go to the Utah Democratic State Convention in a couple of weeks. Spoiler alert, we're still screwed and will probably lose more legislative seats and Jim Matheson's seat. But hey, at least we have our ideological squabbling between the Republican-lites and the lefties! :rolleyes:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

Nope. It's going to be newly converted Democrat Charlie Crist vs Rick "Bat Boy" Scott.

FL is never going to get better is it? At least the rising sea levels will do some good somewhere.

Are there seriously not any better candidates? The Democrats can't find anyone better than Crist?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gygaxian posted:

So I went to the Salt Lake County Democratic convention the other day, and will go to the Utah Democratic State Convention in a couple of weeks. Spoiler alert, we're still screwed and will probably lose more legislative seats and Jim Matheson's seat. But hey, at least we have our ideological squabbling between the Republican-lites and the lefties! :rolleyes:
The Michigan Democratic Party has been organizing some training sessions for mid-level volunteers and hired campaign guns; so far, I have learned that the optimal organization structure is not too centralized or decentralized(!!!), and that before I can tell the narrative of any candidate's campaign I must learn the story of self and the theory of change.

The MDP at least also spent a whole session talking about number-crunching and how relatively useless yard signs are these days. Robo-calls apparently are only half-effective with senior citizens- everybody just ignores them, and they end up being a huge waste of money.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/73-year-custody-fatal-jewish-center-shooting/story?id=23310932

Speaking of the Clansman, the spree shooter at the Jewish Center was a former Grand Dragon of the KKK.

Oh poo poo it's the White Patriot Party dude. He was part of the Greensboro Massacre.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Some rear end in a top hat from the WSJ argued on Meet the Press that while it may be true some Republican state governments are actively trying to prevent people from voting Democratic, it's okay cause those don't have any effect anyway. :newt:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Warcabbit posted:

What the hell is a 73-year-old doing going on shooting sprees? Go play some goddamn shuffleboard or something, dude. :smith:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

This seems topical.

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/13/302019921/statue-of-a-homeless-jesus-startles-a-wealthy-community

quote:

The statue depicts Jesus as a vagrant sleeping on a park bench. St. Alban's Episcopal Church installed the homeless Jesus statue on its property in the middle of an upscale neighborhood filled with well-kept townhomes.

Jesus is huddled under a blanket with his face and hands obscured; only the crucifixion wounds on his uncovered feet give him away.

The reaction was immediate. Some loved it; some didn't.

"One woman from the neighborhood actually called police the first time she drove by," says David Boraks, editor of DavidsonNews.net. "She thought it was an actual homeless person."

That's right. Somebody called the cops on Jesus.

"Another neighbor, who lives a couple of doors down from the church, wrote us a letter to the editor saying it creeps him out," Boraks added.

Some neighbors felt it was an insulting depiction of the Son of God, and what appears to be a hobo curled up on a bench demeans the neighborhood.

The bronze statue was purchased for $22,000 as a memorial for a parishioner, Kate McIntyre, who had loved public art. The rector of this liberal, inclusive church is Rev. David Buck, a 65-year-old Baptist-turned-Episcopalian who seems not at all averse to the controversy, the double-takes and the discussion the statue has provoked.

"It gives authenticity to our church," he says. "This is a relatively affluent church, to be honest, and we need to be reminded ourselves that our faith expresses itself in active concern for the marginalized of society."

The sculpture is intended as a visual translation of the passage in the Book of Matthew, in which Jesus tells his disciples, "as you did it to one of the least of my brothers, you did it to me." Moreover, Buck says, it's a good Bible lesson for those used to seeing Jesus depicted in traditional religious art as the Christ of glory, enthroned in finery.

"We believe that that's the kind of life Jesus had," Buck says. "He was, in essence, a homeless person."

What an awesome church.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That freeper who shot people at the holocaust museum was in his eighties. I suppose we can expect more of them to go out like that. They get to act out their Turner Diaries fantasies, and as a bonus they don't end up spending all their assets on elder care so their children actually receive an inheritance. Then their kids can use that inheritance to finance a trailer to sell SS patches at gun shows! Everybody wins! Except society!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Thanks for the good news and beautiful story. This thread can get too depressing sometimes, but this was downright uplifting. From the pic the sculpture looks well made and the comments are... pretty :unsmith:

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
How long will it be until people start criticizing the news media for reporting that people were killed with a gun as an assault on 2nd amendment rights? "A gun is just an inanimate object it was the guy who did the killing. You wouldn't report what kind of pants he was wearing so shut up about the gun already!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

rkajdi posted:

Honestly, this is the final implication of the just world. It gets really sketchy when you deal with people who think gods punish whole nations regardless of how correct an individual acts. So then you get a out on what a child did wrong to be born with any number of awful congenital defects-- it's all the gays and the abortionists fault.
The reason this is especially hosed up is that the pro life movement claims to support the human worth of people with disabilities. I have no doubt certain wings of it do, but to hear the opposite stated so baldly by a pro-life politician is vile.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Awesome for doing what should be completely obvious and not need justification to anyone, anyway.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

The Michigan Democratic Party has been organizing some training sessions for mid-level volunteers and hired campaign guns; so far, I have learned that the optimal organization structure is not too centralized or decentralized(!!!), and that before I can tell the narrative of any candidate's campaign I must learn the story of self and the theory of change.

The MDP at least also spent a whole session talking about number-crunching and how relatively useless yard signs are these days. Robo-calls apparently are only half-effective with senior citizens- everybody just ignores them, and they end up being a huge waste of money.

The UDP just whines about how the state is controlled by Republicans and about how diverse the Dems are and such. They like the idea of reaching out to Mormons but the base (who are generally not Mormon) hates it (and Mormons) and the establishment has no idea how to convince Mormons to believe in even center-left ideas.

The establishment also likes to present the steadily decreasing number of Utah Democratic legislators as a win, because at least we didn't lose more! I mean, I get it, it's Utah, but we really could do better.

Also, the LDS Dems caucus is pathetic, and I say this as an LDS Dem myself (albeit a Bernie Sanders-esque one). We have a lot of people, but no one willing to change their fellow Mormons minds, no one willing to go out and volunteer, no one wiling to do anything but endorse Jim friggin Matheson and call it good.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Some neighbors felt it was an insulting depiction of the Son of God, and what appears to be a hobo curled up on a bench demeans the neighborhood.

How do you manage to get that opinion out of your mouth without realizing :stare:

e: Literally Matthew 25:35

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

That freeper who shot people at the holocaust museum was in his eighties. I suppose we can expect more of them to go out like that. They get to act out their Turner Diaries fantasies, and as a bonus they don't end up spending all their assets on elder care so their children actually receive an inheritance. Then their kids can use that inheritance to finance a trailer to sell SS patches at gun shows! Everybody wins! Except society!

The Kansas Jewish Center dude's spent most of his adult life living out his Turner Diaries fantasies. This is just the capstone on a long and fruitful career as a professional rear end in a top hat.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 14, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FL is never going to get better is it? At least the rising sea levels will do some good somewhere.

Are there seriously not any better candidates? The Democrats can't find anyone better than Crist?

Who the hell's going to run as a D in Florida? My dad loved him because even though he was an R he increased regulation on home insurance companies and utilities (which Scott rolled back of course), opposed offshore drilling, vetoed the anti-abortion crap coming out of the legislature, supported gay marriage, and hated the Tea Party. You could do a lot worse in this state. :shrug:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 14, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reasons why Florida is Florida:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who the hell's going to run as a D in Florida? My dad loved him because even though he was an R he increased regulation on home insurance companies and utilities (which Scott rolled back of course), opposed offshore drilling, vetoed the anti-abortion crap coming out of the legislature, supported gay marriage, and hated the Tea Party. You could do a lot worse in this state. :shrug:

I figured the State Democrats would realize that Scott is utterly reviled by most of the state and if they ran a semi competent moderate Dem they would win. Crist was a terrible governor who only looks good in the unholy light generated by Rick Scott.

It just seems like a good opportunity to run an actual decent moderate candidate for once but nevermind lets go back to the last governor. Ugh.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I know it seems unpalatable but if Crist is just a first step in many in turning Florida blue, I am okay with this. The democratic objective right now should be to gain control of state legislative bodies for 2020.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I figured the State Democrats would realize that Scott is utterly reviled by most of the state and if they ran a semi competent moderate Dem they would win.

Unfortunately all the stock down at the unicorn farm was devoured by the Burmese pythons that got loose when Andrew came through back in '92.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

comes along bort posted:

Unfortunately all the stock down at the unicorn farm was devoured by the Burmese pythons that got loose when Andrew came through back in '92.

Hahahha. I mean all of those in the loosest possible sense. I can't emphasize enough that any Dem would be running against Rick loving Scott. He's almost universally reviled. It's not difficult to look semi-competent next to him.

Edit: Although apparently having a terrible approval rating doesn't mean anything so long as you have that R by your name

quote:

The gubernatorial race has tightened despite continuing dismal job approval for Scott: only 34% of voters approve of the job he’s doing while 51% disapprove...
“Republican voters have really rallied around Rick Scott over the last three months,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “His consolidating support from the party base explains most of his gain relative to Charlie Crist since the last time we polled.”

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/01/crist-holds-onto-narrow-lead-over-scott.html#more

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

comes along bort posted:

Thanks, Obama.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FaustianQ posted:

I know it seems unpalatable but if Crist is just a first step in many in turning Florida blue, I am okay with this. The democratic objective right now should be to gain control of state legislative bodies for 2020.

Yeah, that'll happen when the zombified corpse of Lawton Chiles rises from beyond the grave to run the state democratic party. The two things driving Florida to keep being Republican is a constant influx of old people from other states as the ones living here die off and a state legislature willing to trick out anything to attract more businesses. You're talking about a state that gave a billion plus dollars in taxpayer money to Progress (now Duke) energy for nuclear reactors that will never be built; that money only started being collected by Duke in 2009, when the state budget was looking like absolute dogshit and there were cuts everywhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

You mean the nuclear reactor that broke down, they tried to fix themselves, hosed it up, begged the state for a billion dollars to fix it, got the billion dollars, and then said it wasn't worth fixing? :shepface:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hahahha. I mean all of those in the loosest possible sense. I can't emphasize enough that any Dem would be running against Rick loving Scott. He's almost universally reviled. It's not difficult to look semi-competent next to him.

I don't know, we knew he literally defrauded Medicare out of hundreds of millions of dollars and Alex Sink managed to gently caress it up in 2010.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

You mean the nuclear reactor that broke down, they tried to fix themselves, hosed it up, begged the state for a billion dollars to fix it, got the billion dollars, and then said it wasn't worth fixing? :shepface:

No, as in a billion dollars for new reactors that weren't even built yet. Crystal River was a whole nother fuckup but Duke is only making off with 100 mil of taxpayer money in it. :smithicide:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/duke-energy-announces-closing-of-crystal-river-nuclear-power-plant/1273794
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-05/duke-kills-florida-nuclear-project-keeps-customers-money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

menino posted:

Technically speaking the law is still in effect but you now only have to believe in Jesus and repent your sins in order to get into heaven. This means technically the stuff in the OT law are still sins. You can absolutely get "homosexuality is still a sin" out of the Bible.

• Locked thread