Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So let me see if I have this right: Miho and Maho like to switch places for kicks, Maho has fun screwing with Goon's head, Goon is too drat stupid to notice, and Maho ends up falling for him because of it?

Man, sure is anime in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I wonder just how pissed off many people were at that route. So very little payoff at the end, and very few unique events. Even the little glimpses of Hikari were more interesting than the big reveal, but I guess the very idea of this route is ridiculously cool. Kinda wish they did more with it though.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I wonder just how pissed off many people were at that route. So very little payoff at the end, and very few unique events. Even the little glimpses of Hikari were more interesting than the big reveal, but I guess the very idea of this route is ridiculously cool. Kinda wish they did more with it though.
Well this route ends with a nod to the first game, the other routes don't so if we'd seen those first this would have been much more special.

Still I was really disappointed that Jun didn't get the girl, I don't care that we won if we let our friend down. This was a bad end. Next run I don't care who we go for we have to help Jun too but not Takumi, I can sleep well if he gets screwed over.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Something just seems right about going to a completely different school with its own tradition for the finale.

...but that means we missed the fight between Mei and Homura. Dammit.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I guess the very idea of this route is ridiculously cool. Kinda wish they did more with it though.

Ludonarrative dissonance plays a big part here - most games that play the twin card have a more compressed (and therefore more sensical) timeline, which don't require the main character to be dumb as a bag of hammers in order to keep the story going. Tokimemo 2 needs you not to realize what's going on for 3 years, then dumps it all out at the end after you can't do anything about it anymore..

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 14, 2014

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

vibratingsheep posted:

Ludonarrative dissonance plays a big part here - most games that play the twin card have a more compressed (and therefore more sensical) timeline, which don't require the main character to be dumb as a bag of hammers in order to keep the story going. Tokimemo 2 needs you not to realize what's going on for 3 years, then dumps it all out at the end after you can't do anything about it anymore..

Goon did seem to notice though. When they revealed the truth, Goon said

Goon posted:

Twins. You know, this really explains a lot.

He realized that there was something wrong, but never brought it up because there was no reason for him to believe that there being two of them was the explanation.

And next time, we have to get Jun together with someone.

Edit: ...Why are twin sisters going to different schools?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

vibratingsheep posted:

It would be a bit more believable if Miho/Maho were the same for a year or so, and then the reveal happens and the events split after that. Though I imagine that would take a lot more programming and assets, and keeping their plots nearly identical for most of the game saves a lot of effort.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

BlazeEmblem posted:

He realized that there was something wrong, but never brought it up because there was no reason for him to believe that there being two of them was the explanation.

To be honest I think that's probably a fair assessment of how any random person would be in real life. If something like that actually happened to you why would twins be the thing you jump to?

Granted, Goon being totally unable to ask about it is just video games being video games but I digress in that I don't think it's that ridiculous that it could go unchallenged for so long. Also that ending was pretty drat lame, that whole route in general beyond how much of a gameplay clusterfuck it is was kind of bleh. Guess I've should've figured since all of TokiMemo 1's secret characters make for really boring playthroughs, Tokimemo 2 seems to be following that trend. Ah well, next route'll be more interesting and I'm still digging your hard work on the LP, sheep.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well that sure was an ending. Not really sure why Maho thought she never would have met Goon if she went to the same school as him, is she implying that she spends more time at Miho's school than her own?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlazeEmblem posted:

Edit: ...Why are twin sisters going to different schools?

This actually happens a lot in some big cities in the US (definitely in Chicago), where you have neighborhood schools and higher tier schools; and to get into the higher tier schools you have to win a weighted lottery.

RosarioImpale
Oct 27, 2007

Chuu posted:

This actually happens a lot in some big cities in the US (definitely in Chicago), where you have neighborhood schools and higher tier schools; and to get into the higher tier schools you have to win a weighted lottery.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, a lot of high schools in Japan require you to pass an entrance exam. It's entirely possible that Miho and Maho scored very differently, or even that they decided to go to different schools.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Wait so did Takumi wind up with Kaedeko somehow or did we just manage to cockblock both of our rivals?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Poulpe posted:

Wait so did Takumi wind up with Kaedeko somehow or did we just manage to cockblock both of our rivals?

It's entirely possible that he went for Kaedeko instead of Hikari, honestly. But what is just as likely is that Hikari turned him down.

The real way to find out would have been to turn down Maho at Christmas and see what was going on at the Ijuuin Christmas party.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So yeah TokiMemo influences people in strange ways. (TM3 spoilers, I guess...)

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
While I quite like Maho, I felt the ending was kind of meh. Trendy? There should have been some better explanation than, "Seemed funny!" Although I do like the callback to Kirameki High.

And we did NOTHING this playthrough to screw up their love lives, they managed that on their own-well, nothing to screw up Jun's love life, anyway, and Takumi had it coming(I'm not quite sure how many of the "messing with Takumi" scenes survived the rewinds).

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The next route you should definitely try to introduce the other girls we didn't get to meet. So far we haven't seen Akane, Kaori, and Kadeko, correct?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

The next route you should definitely try to introduce the other girls we didn't get to meet. So far we haven't seen Akane, Kaori, and Kadeko, correct?

Akane, Kaori, Kaedeko, and Miyuki haven't been formally introduced in the LP. One thing I think I'll do for Thursday's stream is to go through every character's club introduction, so people have much more information about who they want to see for the next play.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

inthesto posted:

It would be a bit more believable if Miho/Maho were the same for a year or so, and then the reveal happens and the events split after that. Though I imagine that would take a lot more programming and assets, and keeping their plots nearly identical for most of the game saves a lot of effort.
More than anything else, you can blame voice acting for that. When you don't commit to having voiceover on every single line of dialogue, no matter how trivial, you can do things like that. The Shirayukis' dialogue from year 2 onward could all change completely depending on whether or not the player knows there's two of them, as long as you could write it all.

If it all has to be voiced, there's just no way. Even with infinite time and an infinite budget, TM2 in particular was already pushing its very storage medium to its limit. There was a simple hard cap on how much content they could possibly include, unless they shipped it on 12 discs and had you swap every season.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

Akane, Kaori, Kaedeko, and Miyuki haven't been formally introduced in the LP. One thing I think I'll do for Thursday's stream is to go through every character's club introduction, so people have much more information about who they want to see for the next play.

Wait wait did we already decide we're doing another route of 2 before doing 3? I'm tired of seeing good games, can we see a bad one now? The LP is so much better when the LPer is crying.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Wait wait did we already decide we're doing another route of 2 before doing 3? I'm tired of seeing good games, can we see a bad one now? The LP is so much better when the LPer is crying.

Well, we did see two routes of 1 before we even started 2.

And we might just see all of 2, if sheep has enough free time or hates himself enough.

Hey, maybe for the vote, you can vote for Miyuki! Her voice seems to cause him pain.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Homura's family owns an orchard? Homoura's becoming a farmer? That's not... quite what I expected. Oh well.

Also, I know we aren't officially voting yet, but I'd like to suggest Kasumi next.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

sincx posted:

Homura's family owns an orchard? Homoura's becoming a farmer? That's not... quite what I expected. Oh well.
Well, she needs a day job. You can't be a superhero 24/7.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Well, we did see two routes of 1 before we even started 2.

And we might just see all of 2, if sheep has enough free time or hates himself enough.

Hey, maybe for the vote, you can vote for Miyuki! Her voice seems to cause him pain.

No way man. I'm voting Kaedeko. Watch him squirm trying to make a relationship with her not seem creepy while also trying to sound really excited about doing nothing but baseball for 3 years.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Sindai posted:

Well, she needs a day job. You can't be a superhero 24/7.

If only she'd waited another decade and a half, she could use use her orchard to join the ranks of Kamen Rider fruit samurai.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I suggest we try for a Kotoko run,next, for maximum Hikari guilt.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Ah, bummer. I was hoping that either of the Shirayuki's events or confessions would eventually confirm whether or not they were the ones met during the childhood portion of the game.

But since Maho didn't mention anything aside from swapping during high school for fun, I guess she was at neither wishing at the shrine nor planting things at the river as a tyke?

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
I was also annoyed at the lack of childhood portion callbacks. I felt certain Maho was the little girl at the shrine, and I thought that scene was sweet and funny. Besides, with two of them, you'd think it would at least be mentioned which one we'd met! Then again, Maho really isn't the sort of girl to remember things like that.

Sheep, if you do another run of 2, and the thread picks Miyuki, I vote you just turn the sound off, to save your eardrums.

Part of me kind of wants to see a Kotoko run-namely, the part that wants to see Hikari suffer.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Getsuya posted:

Do you even have a bad sector in the game you're currently LPing? I was under the impression it's fairly good all the way through. When does this have a chance to apply to you? :mad:

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Interesting. So if it was anyone other than Maho, you'd be meeting under the Bell Tower; but since Maho attends Kirameki High, it's under the Legendary Tree.

Makes sense.

If we're going for another run, I vote for Miyuki. Just saying.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Go for a Kotoko run cause I'm kind of curious just how far you gotta stretch to get that girl to like you.

(And then do a quick cockblock run and break Takumi's poor little heart. Cockblock every chance you get.)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Ah, bummer. I was hoping that either of the Shirayuki's events or confessions would eventually confirm whether or not they were the ones met during the childhood portion of the game.

But since Maho didn't mention anything aside from swapping during high school for fun, I guess she was at neither wishing at the shrine nor planting things at the river as a tyke?

Yeah, that's all Miho. Eventually, I'll get around to showing off all the Miho events, but since a decent chunk of the game overlaps between Miho and Maho, it's best to take some time before going back and retreading the material just to see 8 or 10 events, plus Miho's ending.

Getsuya posted:

No way man. I'm voting Kaedeko. Watch him squirm trying to make a relationship with her not seem creepy while also trying to sound really excited about doing nothing but baseball for 3 years.

Full disclosure: I love baseball. I've been to Chuunichi Dragons, Hanshin Tigers, and Koushien National High School Championship games.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

vibratingsheep posted:

Full disclosure: I love baseball. I've been to Chuunichi Dragons, Hanshin Tigers, and Koushien National High School Championship games.

Apropos of nothing, baseball games are pretty freakin fun to go to in Japan. You don't get the whole national anthem reverence or anything, they just head straight into the game, it's all action, and you got a cheering squad like you do for soccer in the stands. I'm still mad this drunk old guy who sat behind me one night at a Giants game stole the giabbit stuffed animal right out of my hands when the cheerleader threw it at me though. :argh:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I am firmly in the Akai Homura camp forever because she is amazing, but if not her then I am entirely fine with a baseball run since we didn't see that much of either sporty girl in Tokimemo 1.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'd like to see Homura, myself. Homura is great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura seems interesting enough, yeah.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

My plan for this week is to go through the omake content - a comment from Tachibana Hikari (Miho/Maho's voice actress), mini-games, and the photo album.

Then, I'll go through each single character's club introduction, including what Mei does to the poor, unsuspecting computer club in year 2. Not sure what I can do for Akane, since she's not in a club. Maybe I'll get in some fights. After everyone has been introduced, then I'll actually do the character poll.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In retrospect that probably would have been a better way to pick a route in the first place.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

vibratingsheep posted:

My plan for this week is to go through the omake content - a comment from Tachibana Hikari (Miho/Maho's voice actress), mini-games, and the photo album.

Then, I'll go through each single character's club introduction, including what Mei does to the poor, unsuspecting computer club in year 2. Not sure what I can do for Akane, since she's not in a club. Maybe I'll get in some fights. After everyone has been introduced, then I'll actually do the character poll.

Akane seems like she is also acceptable. :colbert:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

Do you even have a bad sector in the game you're currently LPing? I was under the impression it's fairly good all the way through. When does this have a chance to apply to you? :mad:

PoPoLoCrois IS good all the way through. However, since I plan on playing through the series expect some tears of frustration at the second game, which is in a different genre... one I am pretty crap at. And if I make it all the way to the PS2 games I'll be sobbing my eyes out because those games are genuinely terrible and, like TokiMemo3, were pretty much a death knell for the series.

On topic, our local Seagull had a copy of the TokiMemo Forever With You special edition pack with the special PS1 mouse and mousepad, so it looks like my own TokiMemo adventure is about to begin! (I was surprised to learn the PS1 even had a mouse...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So what life simulators are out there that are good for those of us who don't speak Japanese?

• Locked thread