Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Drifter posted:

Are there any good Magical (or Magical School) series that aren't harem-y? Like things where they delve into learning magic and exploring the processes/systems of the world? Comedy or seriousish it doesn't necessarily matter.

Witch Craft Works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DrPaper posted:

Witch Craft Works.

That's pretty harem-y even if it doesn't follow the typical conventions. :confused:

Mx0 was pretty good but got canceled.

EDIT: Try reading Tower of God if you haven't already. That might fit your criteria. Hunter x Hunter also has a fairly interesting Nen system, though it's not quite magic.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 13, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You could watch Trigger's 24-minute short Little Witch Academia (it's up on Youtube!). It's short and sweet, but very beautifully animated and wholesome-feeling. Also, you can get hyped for LWA2, which will be coming out sometime next year.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What's a good death-gamey kind of show with high stakes and clever plotting between/against an interesting cast? Something along the lines of Future Diary but isn't Future Diary because those characters are atrocious and the plotting is dumb, or something like Dangan Ronpa or VLR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

What's a good death-gamey kind of show with high stakes and clever plotting between/against an interesting cast? Something along the lines of Future Diary but isn't Future Diary because those characters are atrocious and the plotting is dumb, or something like Dangan Ronpa or VLR.

Eden of the East should fit the bill. The follow-up movies aren't that great, but the series itself is pretty good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

If you've never read Liar Game, that sounds like the kind of thing you'd be into. I think there's also a live action version but I dunno if that's any good. There's also Death Note and Kaiji but the pacing in Kaiji kinda ruins it.

This is kind of a weird suggestion but there's a Korean game show called The Genius which you would probably like. There's a thread for it too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

If you've never read Liar Game, that sounds like the kind of thing you'd be into. I think there's also a live action version but I dunno if that's any good. There's also Death Note and Kaiji but the pacing in Kaiji kinda ruins it.

I've seen the live-action Liar Game series. It gets quite clever with its games of chance, though it does sometimes drag them out a little.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there's also a live action version but I dunno if that's any good.

The live action Liar Game is pretty great. It gets a bit weird near the end of the first season, but it diverges into its own thing which is enjoyable on its own merits. Dunno about the second one, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Drifter posted:

Are there any good Magical (or Magical School) series that aren't harem-y? Like things where they delve into learning magic and exploring the processes/systems of the world? Comedy or seriousish it doesn't necessarily matter. Someone needs to make Silver Spoons, but for magic.

Occult Academy maybe? It wasn't the greatest ever, but pretty decent.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Drifter posted:

Are there any good Magical (or Magical School) series that aren't harem-y? Like things where they delve into learning magic and exploring the processes/systems of the world? Comedy or seriousish it doesn't necessarily matter. Someone needs to make Silver Spoons, but for magic.

Railgun. Though it's technically "science wizard" school.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Everyone should read or watch Kaiji, the death gambling series.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

This is kind of a weird suggestion but there's a Korean game show called The Genius which you would probably like. There's a thread for it too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593386

I've seen and liked both Kaiji and Death Note. I was looking more for an anime, but I'll check out the Liar Game manga, and maybe the show.

As for The Genius, it looks pretty cool. I love you for recommending it. e: Holy poo poo, this is straight up Kaiji, and it owns. e2: Just kidding, it blows Kaiji right out of the water. This is amazing and I love you for mentioning it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eden of the East should fit the bill. The follow-up movies aren't that great, but the series itself is pretty good.

I did watch this and I did like it, but that non-ending annoys me to no end. Pretty big waste of its potential.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 13, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
HOLY loving poo poo! Code Geass.

Lelouch accidentally made a person commit genocide. hahaha what the gently caress?!?!?!

That's loving AMAZING. Wow. Brutal. Just out of nowhere. That's Game of Thrones times Josef Stalin poo poo right there.

This is a GREAT show (not because of that, but still).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 14, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Drifter, Code Geass is awful. Please don't try to trick people into watching it.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Code Geass is great as long as you're enjoying it with a fresh and hot Pizza Hut™ pizza.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you don't think Charles zi Britannia is the best I don't know what to say :colbert:

Code Geass isn't perfect but it's fun and has some great characters V:)V

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

If you don't think Charles zi Britannia is the best I don't know what to say :colbert:

Code Geass isn't perfect but it's fun and has some great characters V:)V

Yeah, Code Geass is fun to watch and make fun of. I just don't want Drifter tricking people into watching it unironically though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

DrPaper posted:

Yeah, Code Geass is fun to watch and make fun of. I just don't want Drifter tricking people into watching it unironically though.

I think your position is a bit narrow-minded. There's no dirty tricks involved in enjoying the show for what it is. Code Geass is a crazy theatrical ride with a lot of very entertaining aspects as well as some genuinely interesting contents, producing a series that can be appreciated in various different ways. It's only a case of "ironic" enjoyment if you either honestly dislike this whole state of affairs or believe the show isn't actively trying to be like that in the first place.

Which would be highly mistaken. Take the Emperor of Britannia himself: Charles has a larger-than-life character design with ridiculous hair curls and an over-the-top voice acting performance provided by Norio Wakamoto. Why is this the case? Because the creators of the series found it fairly hilarious right from the start. Instead of trying to hide this under wraps, they pushed that element to the forefront and kept going.

There are certainly things to criticize or dislike about it, but a lack of self-awareness isn't one of them.

wielder fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Yeah, I'm not getting where the "awful" is coming from.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'll probably say this any and every time Code Geass comes up but I unironically thought it was a good show. It's by far the single most polarizing thing on ADTRW, so make your own opinions on it, Drifter.

e:VV I unironically like the second season as well and thought the ending was fantastic.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 14, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first season was pretty decent, buoyed by the last four episodes which were excellent and set the anticipation for the second season to a fever pitch. I don't think anyone would argue that Code Geass as of the first season was not only a good show but one of the best shows of the year it came out. The only reason it's now kind of controversial to recommend/like Code Geass is that the second season is a train wreck that manages to both be really dumb and really entertaining. Just complete insanity with a feeling of "This is what you wanted, isn't it?!" from the creators to the fans. I'd say overall it's still worth watching even if it never lived up to the hype at the end of the first season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Just complete insanity with a feeling of "This is what you wanted, isn't it?!" from the creators to the fans. I'd say overall it's still worth watching even if it never lived up to the hype at the end of the first season.

Actually the creators had their original plans shafted by the higher-ups. Because of the long gap between the seasons they were made to scrap what they had planned and start from a point where new viewers could come into the series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the creators had their original plans shafted by the higher-ups. Because of the long gap between the seasons they were made to scrap what they had planned and start from a point where new viewers could come into the series.
You're referring to the issues with the time slot change, I take it? I certainly agree that accounts for the first batch of episodes that sort of retread ground in a way that seemed blatant to ease in new viewers. But I don't think that accounts for the hilarity that took form as it went onwards.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

You're referring to the issues with the time slot change, I take it? I certainly agree that accounts for the first batch of episodes that sort of retread ground in a way that seemed blatant to ease in new viewers. But I don't think that accounts for the hilarity that took form as it went onwards.

I just assumed that was part and parcel of the whole 'Are you not entertained!? :argh:' thing they had going on with the second season.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 14, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everyone should watch Code Geass unironically.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm sorry that most of you guys just seem to hate fun. :colbert:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Drifter posted:

I'm sorry that most of you guys just seem to hate fun. :colbert:

Uh, most people were defending the show. What posts did you read?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I thought that Code Geass, both seasons 1 and 2, were very funny and entertaining in a dumb way, but I don't really go for melodrama and ham. I prefer my drama/plot-oriented shows to be more understated and less "Oh-HO! Get a load of THIS twist!". For my tastes, it's either "wacky surreal comedy with no big plot" or "100% serious realistic plot". If a friend of mine hadn't dragged me into watching it, I probably would've skipped it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

It's by far the single most polarizing thing on ADTRW,
Evangelion is at least close, and possibly more polarizing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Black Stones posted:

Uh, most people were defending the show. What posts did you read?

Dr. Paper posted twice in quick succession. It clearly confused me.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

At the end of the day, I'd say you can almost put Code Geass in the same slot as something like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It won't make you feel any smarter, no, but you'll probably have a bloody good time for the most part and there is a method to the madness beneath all the twists, if you can go along with the flow and its crazy internal logic, rather than trying to fight against it with external skepticism and unfounded expectations of realism. For my money, there's enough worthwhile stuff in those 50 episodes to call it a pretty good show, which isn't what I would say about a real train wreck, where the resulting enjoyment is by definition limited to being purely accidental.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

At the very least, most people seem to respect Evangelion to an extent. On the other hand, some people take a dump on Code Geass without a second thought every time it's mentioned, like DrPaper did.

wielder posted:

At the end of the day, I'd say you can almost put Code Geass in the same slot as something like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It won't make you feel any smarter, no, but you'll probably have a bloody good time for the most part and there is a method to the madness beneath all the twists, if you can go along with the flow and its crazy internal logic, rather than trying to fight against it with external skepticism and unfounded expectations of realism. For my money, there's enough worthwhile stuff in those 50 episodes to call it a pretty good show, which isn't what I would say about a real train wreck, where the resulting enjoyment is by definition limited to being purely accidental.

Jojo's is one of the last things I'd compare Code Geass to, primarily because Geass takes itself seriously the whole way though. And, to be fair, Jojo's is a rather smartly written and plotted show, but it takes plenty of liberties when it feels like it can make things more entertaining.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

Evangelion has kind of gone through a renaissance after Rebuild. Also no one seems to seriously beat the "This is the best anime in the world drum!" as strongly as they did 15 years ago so there's less reason for people to get up in arms about it when they disagree.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Jojo's is one of the last things I'd compare Code Geass to, primarily because Geass takes itself seriously the whole way though. And, to be fair, Jojo's is a rather smartly written and plotted show, but it takes plenty of liberties when it feels like it can make things more entertaining.

I'd have to disagree. I love watching Jojo, but it isn't really particularly smart at all...unless something miraculously changes in Part 3. For that matter, Lelouch certainly has a very serious outlook on life and the world surrounding him, but the universe itself isn't remotely as solemn as he wishes...and also takes plenty of liberties in order to make things more entertaining even at his expense. Which is basically the point I'm trying to make here.

There is a more melodramatic presentation in Code Geass to be sure, which isn't entirely absent from Jojo since it's not like a number of actual character deaths don't happen throughout Parts 1 and 2, but that doesn't mean the show is taking itself completely seriously. In fact, you can even draw a direct parallel between Orange and Stroheim, in retrospect, and a few other comparisons are also possible.

wielder fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 14, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

all i remember about code geass is all the pizza hut advertisements so i guess that means they won.

gg pizza hut

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To be honest the only reason I sort of like Code Geass R2 is because of Orange. He basically salvages the whole thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How is Stein's Gate? What's its tone?

I have seen people compare Code Geass to Death Note (lol) which is absolutely loving bonkers to do. That's like saying this banana is like that orange because they're both little and you can eat them and you have to peel them first. There's nothing identifyingly similar, to exclusion.

To me it's like a really satisfying blockbuster action movie. How dare people like Die Hard when I mean he was practically invincible and blah blah blah totally unrealistic. :jerkbag:

It's a show where close calls and fortuitous circumstances happen because that's the story, and it's fun as a result. Lelouch's action arc through season 1 was pretty cool, especially near the end when he has some major cockups and says 'I'm totally a horrible and goal oriented monster now so let me reassess and figure out how to make the best of it, but gently caress me, that's some hosed up poo poo.'

The characters were pretty fun and even though some of the motivations are a little 'Japanese' it still works well. I enjoyed the dissonance in action/thought between friends even though they were working towards a similar goal and how they were constantly trying to challenge each other's process. I liked the friends' arcs/characters as well - even though they were not fleshed out.

As I said, I liked season 1 that I saw.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Drifter posted:

It's super anime, none of the characters are likable, and it has a moe factor way above my comfort level. I think it is a bad show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stein's Gate has a bit of a slow build with random hyjinx that characterize all the characters pretty well, and then gets serious once the story gets jump-started. It's a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

It's great, one of the best shows of the last few years. The tone is pretty laid back in the first half, but the second half is much more serious.

• Locked thread