Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

The first time you dock a ship IVA with the docking cam, its like the first time you landed on the Mun all over again. :gizz:

Seriously everyone that isn't using Raster Prop Mod should go get it now. Your stock capsule interiors get an upgrade, and you now get to spend inordinate amounts of time pondering camera placement angles on your ships. Because you're not OCD enough.
Does RPM come with the cameras or do I need something else? I don't have any at the moment but I'm right at the start of the tech tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Elukka posted:

Does RPM come with the cameras or do I need something else? I don't have any at the moment but I'm right at the start of the tech tree.

Yeah, RPM comes with outward-facing cameras under the science tech node. The ALCOR capsule comes with cameras that point parallel to the surface they're mounted on.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PDP-1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0DpPy6cro

I wonder how many tries it took to get that shot just right.

Now THAT is a chaos dunk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Wynand posted:

Why not just go into an orbit perpendicular to the target instead though and keep it on all the time?

It would take an enormous amount of dv to do that; real-world orbits involve numbers orders of magnitude higher than KSP orbits. Also, it wouldn't be feasible to do this for each of the thousands of interesting things the telescope has photographed over the past 24 years, so they just keep it in one orbit that works well enough for all of them.

For all that being in low Earth orbit may limit Hubble, keep in mind that the only reason it is so useful today is that the shuttle was able to return to it and fix a critical problem that was discovered after launch. It was also upgraded several times after that, again by sending up the shuttle.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I want a Kubble Space Telescope.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Elukka posted:

To expand on the answer, a lot of them, I haven't even tried them all yet. But you always have the docking cam as long as you can figure out how to work the MFDs. Took me a bit. You have to select a target in the target menu, and the go back and select a reference part on your ship for the camera to come on in the docking menu (Also in the target menu).

For anyone else thinking about, or just starting out with RPM. If you're like me and just slap poo poo into the game and go play with it, gently caress the documentation! The 0 on the bottom right resets the screen, and some menus have different modes if you press the button multiple times. You're welcome.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Does the screen shake on launch and reentry when using RPM?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PDP-1 posted:

Falken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE5KQ7PqO9k

Well, supervillain status achieved?

Between these and what I was about to post, KSP is taking a high award in letting you be Stupid As Hell :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzt9YMl9Xk

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

I like to think that the asteroid slammed so hard into that hoop that they merged and became a new life-form.

Epinephrine fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 14, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there any way to stop a detached part being auto-deleted other than putting a command module on it? I have a scaffold that just acts as an adapter between other ships and I don't want it to evaporate if I leave it alone in orbit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Is there any way to create a Mun base with a mobile processing lab and have a rover come back, dump experiment data, then clean the experiments to drive out to a different biome? Do you need to dock somehow, or could you do it with KAS or the claw?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

haveblue posted:

Is there any way to stop a detached part being auto-deleted other than putting a command module on it? I have a scaffold that just acts as an adapter between other ships and I don't want it to evaporate if I leave it alone in orbit.

Is it being designated as debris? If so you can find it by turning on debris tracking in the map. You can also rename it and change the type so it's easier to find.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

haveblue posted:

I don't think stuff like this disappears except if it enters the atmosphere

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TerminalSaint posted:

Is it being designated as debris? If so you can find it by turning on debris tracking in the map. You can also rename it and change the type so it's easier to find.

Debris gets periodically removed (especially when something blows up and generates a bunch more); I want it to be immune to that. It's not a big deal, the small probe core weighs almost nothing, I'm just wondering.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Turn on unlimited debris or attach a probe core.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MeramJert posted:

Is there any way to create a Mun base with a mobile processing lab and have a rover come back, dump experiment data, then clean the experiments to drive out to a different biome? Do you need to dock somehow, or could you do it with KAS or the claw?

Docking would definitely work--maybe put a jr port on the back of the rover (or on top of it) and put a corresponding port at ground level. The claw appears to function similar to that so it should work fine. Haven't messed with KAS so I can't answer for that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

KAS works better than trying to dock. I've done it. Just hook a pipe up between the base and the rover and let the spice flow.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Loved this flyby @54m on illectro's latest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88l3Yinn8YE&t=3240s

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PDP-1 posted:

No no no hell naw.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a mod to just get the map data to show on the main view? Apoapsis and Periapsis mainly? Used to use Kerbal Engineering Redux but thought there might be something a bit more low profile since I try and avoid most of the other data it gives and its odd development state at the moment. Also don't really want to install MechJeb just for the one window (plus the RealChute developer said RC and MechJeb were having problems working together).

Also I tried Better Than Starting Manned and loved the idea but hated the implementation, has anyone else done a stock or near stock tech tree re-balance to make it more interesting to progress through the Career tree? And also related to that, the developer made a tweak to the science generating modules that showed what biome you were currently in the right-click menu and I'd love to find a standalone mod that does something similar but couldn't track one down looking through the forums (presumably others have done it, just not listed as a major feature).

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Raster Prop Mod will show you orbital information in your pod. Including Ap Pe, tAp, tPe, inclination, eccentricity, AN, DN, tAN, tDN, ejection angle, and anything else you might possibly need, except the ability to make and modify maneuver nodes.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Scansat will let you launch one or more mapping satellites to map the biomes on a given body, then you can use a part to track where your current craft is on that map. Not exactly what you're asking but it's useful for finding different biomes.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So wow, the new 3.75m engine is really powerful! This has 3k m/s dV left in a 85x85km orbit.

To be fair, I am using FAR. It's great that you can use the new giant Interstellar radiators as huge fins and be ok, too.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Mechjeb lets you create custom windows that show exactly what information you tell it to show. You can use this to create a small window that only shows Ap and Pe, if you like. I used this method for a while to make a little window that showed my Ap, Pe, tAp, tPe, current biome,, and time to SOI switch.

edit: ^^ the amount of radiators on that thing seems a little like overkill, haha

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 14, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
It would be nice to see SCANSAT integrate your orbital path, AP and PE onto the map window.

(humming this is mandatory)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeVaD580zT4

e: Oh poo poo, this could be good. Kessler Chaos

Time to call up half section!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxuACuL5zI
(everyone should watch this)

Falken fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 14, 2014

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
The current version of scansat DOES show your orbital path on the map. :jeb:

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

nessin posted:

the developer made a tweak to the science generating modules that showed what biome you were currently in the right-click menu and I'd love to find a standalone mod that does something similar but couldn't track one down looking through the forums.

This mod notifies you whenever you enter a biome that has science available for any experiments you're carrying and lets you activate each experiment from a single menu.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I wish all these mods showed your semi-major axis so I didn't have to calculate it myself.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MeramJert posted:

I wish all these mods showed your semi-major axis so I didn't have to calculate it myself.
MechJeb does.

MJ has a ton of info that isn't in any of the stock windows. Just create a custom window with all the info you want.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

MeramJert posted:

Kerbal engineer does this. (as does Mechjeb). What mods are you even using?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have like 15 mods right now, including mechjeb, but I didn't know you could make custom windows with more info than is shown by default. Thanks!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ciaphas posted:

Between these and what I was about to post, KSP is taking a high award in letting you be Stupid As Hell :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzt9YMl9Xk

... Yknow, installing a helicopter mod would probably have been a saner way to get on top of a mountain than the parachute-induced intentional crash of an airplane I did.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Splode posted:

Kerbal engineer does this. (as does Mechjeb). What mods are you even using?

Speaking about MechJeb and the data it shows, since I have updated it to the last published version it has stopped to give me the delta-V available by stage information for the new launchers I build. The Delta-V window just shows empty, with no stages within. The saved stacks still work, but the information it gives is not accurate (it stops updating until I go back to the space center and re-select the flight). Is there anyone experiencing the same problem?

I have not used Kerbal Engineer, but I think it could be a good replacement for (this part of) Mechjeb. Am I wrong about this?

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
A mod that lets you change the location of the space center on Kerbin.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Amberskin posted:

I have not used Kerbal Engineer, but I think it could be a good replacement for (this part of) Mechjeb. Am I wrong about this?
Kerbal Engineer is 100% dedicated to that kind of thing. If you primarily use MechJeb for information display, KER is a simpler and more compatible solution (though not as flexible as MJ's custom windows).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The main thing Kerbal Engineer will do that Mechjeb won't is give you TWRs for planets other than Kerbin.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Thanks a lot, jerk. Now I have to re-watch PlanetES again. Last time was in 2009.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Has anyone put together a helicarrier?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

haveblue posted:

The main thing Kerbal Engineer will do that Mechjeb won't is give you TWRs for planets other than Kerbin.

The current version of Mechjeb has toggles to see your TWR on other planets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

As of one of the later versions MJ does this too. There's a little toggle in the DeltaV panel that lets you select another celestial.

e: :argh:

• Locked thread