Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are there any cool combos in standard that would work with Twin flame right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are there any cool combos in standard that would work with Twin flame right now?

UR could be silly because you make a shitton of Master of Waves and then they vomit out tokens before dying :getin:

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
The red guy could be good as a sideboard card for burn, they take out a lot of removal and you go to town with him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

UR could be silly because you make a shitton of Master of Waves and then they vomit out tokens before dying :getin:

The same Master of Waves with protection from Red?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

:ssh:

It'd be tight and you know it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Riddle of Lightning reprint.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

You can't target something more than once. You also can't target Master of Waves at all because it has protection from red. Actually its a fake target effect, so scratch the second comment.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Young Peezy, Trait Doctoring and Master of Waves token tribal. BOOK IT

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yessssssss. One of my favorite limited burn spells.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
All I can think of is splintering some garys for a big drain.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

AnacondaHL posted:

Burn in what format? Standard? No, that card isn't interesting at all.

Don't dismiss it so ezzay. Chandra is equally deceptively powerful.

Welp looks like I'm building RUG burn now with Worldspine finisher.

Erratic Explosion was one of my favorite decks ever.

Mulletstation fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 14, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Its not targeted. The language just says "choose a creature."

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Not surprising in the least after they revealed the 5U Draw effect one, but i'm still very happy to see it back. It's a very powerful effect that gives Red some solid reach in the lategame.

Also, I know I tend to bitch a lot about red (and black) cards being poorly designed, so I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the push they've made to give Red its own versions of Ophidian and Clone style effects. They're actually powerful in different ways, instead of either aping off of Blue or simply being a worse version.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I see Dack Fayden is a fan of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Are there enough cards to get a BU card-draw punishing deck going in Standard? They've printed several enablers and card draw punishers.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not targeted. The language just says "choose a creature."

We are talking about Twinflame here, right? "Choose any number of target creatures you control" and so on.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I just want to take a moment to appreciate how cool Twinflame's art looks. :allears:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zorak posted:

Are there enough cards to get a BU card-draw punishing deck going in Standard? They've printed several enablers and card draw punishers.

Probably has to be in Grixis, since Toil//Trouble would undoubtedly be a great finisher.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kizudarake posted:

I see Dack Fayden is a fan of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

We've established that the multiverse has a fine appreciation for post-punk bands, which now outnumber the emo bands in the MTG setting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lunsku posted:

We are talking about Twinflame here, right? "Choose any number of target creatures you control" and so on.

Yeah I was confusing it with the blue one that lets you copy a creature without targeting.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

We've established that the multiverse has a fine appreciation for post-punk bands, which now outnumber the emo bands in the MTG setting.

I would love to know more about this.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Where are all the white cards wizards? :negative:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Just now catching up with this. Definitely going in my Obzedat EDH deck.

EDIT: Just now occurred to me that Athreos' 3 CMC means that it combos with Zur. I'm glad to see Orzhov got a killer God card for the new set.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 14, 2014

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
I feel like Pharika isn't super bad, she's just different than what BG decks want to do currently. She can use self-mill to fill your graveyard and start popping off constellation triggers like there's no tomorrow. Eidolon of Blossoms and the black giant with constellation could use that (She can even use him to kill off snakes generated if you absolutely had to exile cards from an opponents graveyard), and if there's other good constellation cards in b/g I could see it being about as good as the current dredge deck. She's definitely more of a constellation activator than a graveyard interacting card, though.

dangerburrd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 14, 2014

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
My only problem with Athreos is the art. Why on earth did they give one of the most important cards in the set to Barger?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ThirdEmperor posted:

My only problem with Athreos is the art. Why on earth did they give one of the most important cards in the set to Barger?

What's your problem with the art?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kizudarake posted:

I would love to know more about this.

It was just a joke because there is a card called Rights of Spring, I seriously doubt there is anyone in R&D who is into early 80s DC Hardcore music.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

dangerburrd posted:

I feel like Pharika isn't super bad, she's just different than what BG decks want to do currently. She can use self-mill to fill your graveyard and start popping off constellation triggers like there's no tomorrow. Eidolon of Blossoms and the black giant with constellation could use that (She can even use him to kill off snakes generated if you absolutely had to exile cards from an opponents graveyard), and if there's other good constellation cards in b/g I could see it being about as good as the current dredge deck. She's definitely more of a constellation activator than a graveyard interacting card, though.

In that case though, they really should have let the ability exile enchantments as well. That would have made it more powerful in an Enchantment-heavy shell, as well as made it have continuity with Pharika's Mender.

Either way, i'll be interested to hear the postmortem on Pharika - her activated ability reeks of R&D switching stuff around again, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a powerful Black or Green card with a Pharika-like triggered ability.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

JerryLee posted:

What's your problem with the art?

To me, something about the texture and the Nyx sparkles make it look like a terrible CGI render.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

ThirdEmperor posted:

The art is bitchin'. I'm totally buying that play mat when it comes out.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ThirdEmperor posted:

To me, something about the texture and the Nyx sparkles make it look like a terrible CGI render.

I half see what you're talking about with the CGI render. His skull and parts of his arms almost don't look like a real part of the scene, sort of thing?

I still think it's a piece of art that I really like, all else being equal. I'd rather have something that shoots for a really striking, compelling look and ends up with a few compositional false steps, than something that plays it safe.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Exactly. I will admit though, the whole thing with the pits of sulfurous fire looks way more godly than the rest of the pantheon's 'giant human chilling in front of postcard scenery' aesthetic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

He honestly makes me think of claymation in a way, though I rather like that fact. Compared to the rest of the Magic art, it definitely makes him stand out as being otherworldly.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
And I had literally just asked Maro if red would get more temporary copy effects. Awesome.

All we need now is a good ball lightning and I can start eating people's faces with tramply burn.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Zemyla posted:

And I had literally just asked Maro if red would get more temporary copy effects. Awesome.

All we need now is a good ball lightning and I can start eating people's faces with tramply burn.

Spark Trooper?

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Apparently, the pits aren't sulfurous. Based on what Jenna said on the stream when it was spoiled, the shine comes from the mountains and mountains of gold that the god receives to pay for passage. But being a god, he doesn't have any need for it.

Kinda liking Riptide Chimera.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Awww, I was so psyched for Pharika to be better than this. Even as a 4-drop with some conditional lifegain or giving out -1/-1 counters would have been alright.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wish Pharika was any card not just creature cards.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Astral Sheep {1}{W}
Enchantment creature - Sheep
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life.
0/5

Terese :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Coucho Marx posted:

Awww, I was so psyched for Pharika to be better than this. Even as a 4-drop with some conditional lifegain or giving out -1/-1 counters would have been alright.

There was a zero percent chance of -1/-1 counters being in any way involved.

• Locked thread