Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Killsion posted:

Wait is there a reason to come back now?

Ha ha no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Killsion posted:

Wait is there a reason to come back now?

There's four new investigation missions.

Toshimo posted:

Ha ha no.

But I second this.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I dunno if you guys have done any of the investigation missions yet but if they continue to release this sort of stuff then maybe Tokyo won't actually be completely terrible :unsmith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mercurius posted:

I dunno if you guys have done any of the investigation missions yet but if they continue to release this sort of stuff then maybe Tokyo won't actually be completely terrible :unsmith:

I'm still choosing to believe that by delayed for quality they meant "delayed until it only crashes 50% of the time on launch"

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Will I need to use Google to complete these investigation missions?

And not using Google for the walk through, but to do research so I can learn some useless skill for 20 minutes while I finish the mission. Like needing to learn/translate Morse Code, look up some obscure song based only on a picture and a year, or the preferred sexual partners of Egyptian gods/goddess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mercurius posted:

I've done one of them, intend to do another today, and know what's coming for a third that I'm going to do it with a friend. They are good.

HughGRect posted:

And not using Google for the walk through, but to do research so I can learn some useless skill for 20 minutes while I finish the mission. Like needing to learn/translate Morse Code, look up some obscure song based only on a picture and a year, or the preferred sexual partners of Egyptian gods/goddess.

I've only done The Animate Clay, but some googling was necessary, and it's much safer to do so now that Unfair's bitch-fitted out of the picture. Spoiling what I needed to look up but: I needed to know Frankenstein's Monster's favorite book. Additionally, there's a phone number given in part of the mission, and there's two important parts there; the international area code tells you where to look, and the actual automated response you get when you call contains a clue for what you do when you get there. While you don't need to google the phone call necessarily, you'll probably want to listen to it multiple times, and if that's an international call you might want to just shoot for a recording.

You also need a barcode scanner, but that's not quite googling, and best done by smartphone app.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I've only done The Animate Clay, but some googling was necessary, and it's much safer to do so now that Unfair's bitch-fitted out of the picture. Spoiling what I needed to look up but: I needed to know Frankenstein's Monster's favorite book. Additionally, there's a phone number given in part of the mission, and there's two important parts there; the international area code tells you where to look, and the actual automated response you get when you call contains a clue for what you do when you get there. While you don't need to google the phone call necessarily, you'll probably want to listen to it multiple times, and if that's an international call you might want to just shoot for a recording.

You also need a barcode scanner, but that's not quite googling, and best done by smartphone app.

That is promising, maybe Tokyo wont be the roller coaster of disappoint some of us were expecting. Then again, its and my expectations are rock bottom at this point.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

HughGRect posted:

In the Shadowy Forest quests there's a lot of Romanian you need Google Translate for, and maybe something that'll let you type Romanian accented characters. Although even after translating it, it's still pretty confusing.

For Animate Clay, someone has put the phone call on Youtube.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
My loot from Flappy so far has been 200 extra slivers, a purple serration, and 3 bullion. I have enough energy for about two a day, I think.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zhaan posted:

My loot from Flappy so far has been 200 extra slivers, a purple serration, and 3 bullion. I have enough energy for about two a day, I think.

I haven't gotten anything above a green signet. I have three articles of clothing left to get though and still haven't scraped up 50 kills. It's just no fun.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Zephonith posted:

In the Shadowy Forest quests there's a lot of Romanian you need Google Translate for, and maybe something that'll let you type Romanian accented characters. Although even after translating it, it's still pretty confusing.

For Animate Clay, someone has put the phone call on Youtube.
Also Greek translations for Mosen's quest although the first part translates horribly via the various online translation engines. I haven't finished the Orochi one yet but I've done the other three so if you need hints (rather than full solutions) I'm happy to help out a bit.

I think each of the missions took me 30-60 minutes to do because I spent a while figuring out where the clues were pointing (especially for Trials of the Dragon :mad:). Overall quality of the missions is really good and I really like the new cutscenes/the clues you find (especially so in The Animate Clay).

Edit: Google translate has an onscreen keyboard for both Romanian and Greek. Manually set the language above the left box and then use the keyboard icon in the lower left of the box to bring up the on screen keyboard.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Mercurius posted:

Also Greek translations for Mosen's quest although the first part translates horribly via the various online translation engines. I haven't finished the Orochi one yet but I've done the other three so if you need hints (rather than full solutions) I'm happy to help out a bit.

I think each of the missions took me 30-60 minutes to do because I spent a while figuring out where the clues were pointing (especially for Trials of the Dragon :mad:). Overall quality of the missions is really good and I really like the new cutscenes/the clues you find (especially so in The Animate Clay).

Edit: Google translate has an onscreen keyboard for both Romanian and Greek. Manually set the language above the left box and then use the keyboard icon in the lower left of the box to bring up the on screen keyboard.

Zepho and I had fun running around the forest based off the botched translations until we found the things we needed. The Greek was a lot worse than the Romanian for some reason.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm loving ecstatic to know the investigations are good, anyone know off hand how much english money I need to drop to get them?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Zhaan posted:

Zepho and I had fun running around the forest based off the botched translations until we found the things we needed. The Greek was a lot worse than the Romanian for some reason.
I actually didn't have any problems with the Romanian stuff but the very first step of Mosul's greek riddle was horrible because I couldn't get it to translate coherently. I spent ages translating (Mosul's quest spoiler) the text on the stone pedestal before I realised it was a red herring :downs: . I also hadn't even been to the part of the map where the second part of Trials of the Dragon takes you so I had a hell of a time just running around trying to find things.

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm loving ecstatic to know the investigations are good, anyone know off hand how much english money I need to drop to get them?
I think they're $10 if you don't have a sub or aren't a GM. As I mentioned, I've thrown probably 3 hours or so at them so far and I'm not done so I'd definitely say I got my money's worth.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 11, 2014

CaptainZalo
Apr 14, 2011

Don't forget to wipe!
I applied on the enjin forum stuff a couple of days ago for the Awful Illuminati cabal. Are there active goons in the game these days?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
^^^^^
Everybody seems to be waiting for Tokyo.
Though every now and then some some minor goon presence.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CaptainZalo posted:

I applied on the enjin forum stuff a couple of days ago for the Awful Illuminati cabal. Are there active goons in the game these days?
Len is the 'active' SA Illuminati cabal leader so maybe he can sort that out for you. I say 'active' because as Citizen Kane mentioned we're all waiting for the Tokyo release although I have been on a bit the last week or so. I idle in #awful in game as Eidolonics so if I'm on and you have questions, say something :)

Incidentally, the enjin site fell over yesterday so I propped it back up with another 30 days.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mercurius posted:

Len is the 'active' SA Illuminati cabal leader so maybe he can sort that out for you. I say 'active' because as Citizen Kane mentioned we're all waiting for the Tokyo release although I have been on a bit the last week or so. I idle in #awful in game as Eidolonics so if I'm on and you have questions, say something :)

Incidentally, the enjin site fell over yesterday so I propped it back up with another 30 days.

I'm not actually a leader anymore. There was an accident while I was proving the Funcom devs wrong about something and Zepho (Zephonith on the forums) kind of accidentally got handed my slot in the cabal.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'm also on as Rhan on Tuesdays and Fridays at 9pm EST if you need an invite.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

I'm not actually a leader anymore. There was an accident while I was proving the Funcom devs wrong about something and Zepho (Zephonith on the forums) kind of accidentally got handed my slot in the cabal.
I love the game world but man the client and mechanics behind it all are really something special, and not in a good way.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Mercurius posted:

Thank you!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have to say, this game's grind seems up there with some Asian MMOs once you get to needing Astral Fuses and Augment stuff.

Still not sure what Augments even are.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

I have to say, this game's grind seems up there with some Asian MMOs once you get to needing Astral Fuses and Augment stuff.

Still not sure what Augments even are.

A waste of time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

A waste of time.

I hate to say that, but kind of, yeah. Their drop rate is way, way too small for the bonuses they give. Don't worry about them unless you have pax to burn/like scenarios. And even then, don't bother min-maxing them.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

A question for Mercurius, since as he knows I also live in an uncivilized hellscape with arbitrary bandwidth caps – is TSW worth patching up through Augments and scenarios, or should I skip it until Tokyo comes out? The new investigations seem cool but I'm not sure they're $4.50/Gb cool.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Holy poo poo, that is expensive. Do you live inside Uluru?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

A question for Mercurius, since as he knows I also live in an uncivilized hellscape with arbitrary bandwidth caps – is TSW worth patching up through Augments and scenarios, or should I skip it until Tokyo comes out? The new investigations seem cool but I'm not sure they're $4.50/Gb cool.
Jesus, is it not cheaper to just have someone else post you a memory stick with the game on?

CaptainZalo
Apr 14, 2011

Don't forget to wipe!

GEMorris posted:

I'm also on as Rhan on Tuesdays and Fridays at 9pm EST if you need an invite.

Guess I'm hosed since I live in GMT+2, then.
I'll stalk you in a most goonlike manner. Bring crisco.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Brain In A Jar posted:

No, it's not worth downloading it at your silly kiwi internet prices. At this point I think it'd be cheaper for me to just mail you a USB stick with the game files on.

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013
Are there any trial codes available? I've been wanting to play this but I was hobbling a crappy laptop along and it finally died. Now I'm not sure if I want to invest 30 bucks into a ghost town.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

AFK Werewolf posted:

Are there any trial codes available? I've been wanting to play this but I was hobbling a crappy laptop along and it finally died. Now I'm not sure if I want to invest 30 bucks into a ghost town.

E4LUKFAFF9C6VVPXTAEN

I come from the group of players who think the single player aspects of the game are easily worth the box price of the game, but I understand the hesitation. If you enjoy the trial but are hesitant on the investment you could always wait for the game to hit a Steam sale, during Steam sales the Super-Master-Whatever edition is usually lower then the normal box price. And that is a total steal any way you look at it.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 14, 2014

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013

HughGRect posted:

I come from the group of players who think the single player aspects of the game are easily worth the box price of the game, but I understand the hesitation. If you enjoy the trial but are hesitant on the investment you could always wait for the game to hit a Steam sale, during Steam sales the Super-Master-Whatever edition is usually lower then the normal box price. And that is a total steal any way you look at it.

Thanks for the code! I'll probably end up picking this up, just don't want to get burned like SWTOR.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AFK Werewolf posted:

Thanks for the code! I'll probably end up picking this up, just don't want to get burned like SWTOR.
As Hugh said, you can completely discount the MMO part of it and play it like a singleplayer RPG if you're worried about that aspect of it. It's got a fantastic setting and really, really great voice acting for all the quests (Geary and The Eye :swoon:) so I absolutely agree with Hugh that it's worth the box price for that alone.

The only part that's 'dead' is the endgame content although the investigation pack they just released last week is actually really good so I'm cautiously optimistic for the upcoming Tokyo release.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
In today's news: The eyeboob outfit got removed from the store.

I don't think anyone's mad about that, I'm not sure anybody wanted it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Boo Funcom.

Did they remove it from everyone who purchased it as well, or did they turn it into a novelty and rare item now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HughGRect posted:

Boo Funcom.

Did they remove it from everyone who purchased it as well, or did they turn it into a novelty and rare item now.

Everyone who purchased it still has it, you just can't buy more of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I'm going to take credit for that. I sent a very angry petition about how it's unfair that the Eye Tits are in the store but I can't have a mankini.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I really want the outfit now that I can't have it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

I really want the outfit now that I can't have it.

I'll give you mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Brain In A Jar posted:

I haven't moved yet! We can do the same arrangement as before if you still have that Ipod.

• Locked thread