Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
How complete is the GoT mod? I saw that it's apparently in beta so I don't want to bother with it if tons of content is missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Esroc posted:

How complete is the GoT mod? I saw that it's apparently in beta so I don't want to bother with it if tons of content is missing.

Westeros is basically done and works pretty well (though it still has some bugs), except for Wildlings. Essos is basically a buggy, incomplete mess east of the merchant states. Westeros/Essos don't interact too much in a typical game though, so you can avoid the unfinished parts if you want.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So I got a pretty neat start as Munster. My Norwegian vassal adored me for some reason, which was odd. I checked what was up and it turned out he'd rolled Content at the start of the game. :buddy:

This resulted in Desmond lasting all of five seconds, since I had the manpower to press my claim on Day 1.

This game. :getin:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 14, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Esroc posted:

What fool_of_sound said, but anything related to the books up till A Feast For Crows is pretty well modeled via in-game event chains. So if you play as Dany then the east won't be nearly as dire. It even adds in some whacky CK2-ness, so I've seen Dany lose everything and end up as a slave-concubine to some slaver-prince, I've seen her conquer all of the Dothraki Sea, I've seen her decide to say "gently caress Westeros, yo" and just stay put in the east.

If you're a fan of the books/show you'll have fun watching mini-fanfics play out every game!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Esroc posted:

I just wish this was in the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgiTB2NFvAM

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Kainser posted:

Tons of people are descended from the Ruriks, it's not that weird man.

Yeah and I could be descended from Qin Shi Huang, I mean does he have a legitimate claim?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raserys posted:

Yeah and I could be descended from Qin Shi Huang, I mean does he have a legitimate claim?

Seems highly unlikely given the whole "Time of Troubles" thing?

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I wanted to thank everyone who's been giving me advice up until this point. I think my biggest problem is I'm not thinking of the long game. I'm trying to get everything done immediately instead of realizing I have more than 400 years to do things. You can't wage a world war in the first day.

So I started a new game as a small, independent Sheikh on the Arabian Peninsula. I worked hard, got my subjects to love me, and built a small army to protect myself. I even allied with the Hashimid Emirate for protection from any marauders. All was going well (if slow) and I was ready to make my mark on the world. That is, until my liege declared an invasion on the Shia emirate to the west and a heretic band to my east. That ended so fast I couldn't really make a difference, but when the dust settled the entire area belonged to the Hashimids and they made me Emir of Oman. The moral is: don't work too hard because someone else will just hand you greatness for existing.

Thanks, Crusader Kings II.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Okay, there are children disappearing out of my dungeon. What the heck. I go to war, capture some Muslim heirs to teach them to be nice good Buddhists, and silently and without notification they are teleporting into the prisons of people in the realm from which I abducted them. This is very annoying. :mad:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

catlord posted:

Is she ambitious? That'll cause your vassal to be an rear end in a top hat.

Also, bribe her kid and murder her.

She's was ambitious. :ese:

It would be easier to form Suomenusko Russia if it didn't take six months to stop every faction revolt, I don't stab anywhere near enough dukes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

They've nerfed straight-up North Korea mode but so far I've found that, at least in small nations, continuously imprisoning and banishing all of your vassals that don't like you seems to still work as long as you hand the titles back out afterwards. You get assloads of money, any threats are promptly banished, the new guys tend to have the bad opinion from tyranny cancelled by the good opinion from giving them all the poo poo you stole from the previous guy. You can basically enact one free purge of the nobility every once in a while and simultaneously eliminate all threats and earn massive amounts of gold.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

James Garfield posted:

She's was ambitious. :ese:

It would be easier to form Suomenusko Russia if it didn't take six months to stop every faction revolt, I don't stab anywhere near enough dukes.

I formed Suomenusko Russia without murdering anyone but adventurers.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

cock hero flux posted:

They've nerfed straight-up North Korea mode but so far I've found that, at least in small nations, continuously imprisoning and banishing all of your vassals that don't like you seems to still work as long as you hand the titles back out afterwards. You get assloads of money, any threats are promptly banished, the new guys tend to have the bad opinion from tyranny cancelled by the good opinion from giving them all the poo poo you stole from the previous guy. You can basically enact one free purge of the nobility every once in a while and simultaneously eliminate all threats and earn massive amounts of gold.

Imprisoned vassals can't faction. If you have a vassal Pope or Ecumenical Patriach with no vassal Kings, then you can excommunicate anyone for 100 Piety. You can repeatedly imprison and ransom them back to take all their money, and if they try to go to war to avoid imprisoning, you can revoke their title after they lose.

Asking the Pope for a claim is just a short-cut really.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Edison was a dick posted:

Imprisoned vassals can't faction. If you have a vassal Pope or Ecumenical Patriach with no vassal Kings, then you can excommunicate anyone for 100 Piety. You can repeatedly imprison and ransom them back to take all their money, and if they try to go to war to avoid imprisoning, you can revoke their title after they lose.

Asking the Pope for a claim is just a short-cut really.

Best use of the papal approved claim is to gobble of Land of neighbouring kingdoms, so that if you press all claims, you get all of the duchies. Usurp the king's title, ask remaining residual independet counties to be you vassals, if the refuse, crush them with you in place army and take it by force. :getin:
Too bad I learned about that only at the end of my campaign (~1380). Still managed to establish quite a bit of an empire at the end.
EMPIRE OF ALBA BITCHES! :D

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, there are children disappearing out of my dungeon. What the heck. I go to war, capture some Muslim heirs to teach them to be nice good Buddhists, and silently and without notification they are teleporting into the prisons of people in the realm from which I abducted them. This is very annoying. :mad:

When you end a war, anyone whose capture provided warscore is auto-released, I believe. Also if you choose the house arrest option instead of letting them rot/throwing them in the oubliette they can escape, but I think you'd notice that. Have never seen anyone teleporting themselves free myself...

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Strudel Man posted:

I think this is related to the oft-reported ward bug. If the ward you captured already has a guardian and you don't assign a new guardian, does the ward remain in your dungeon?

Allyn posted:

When you end a war, anyone whose capture provided warscore is auto-released, I believe. Also if you choose the house arrest option instead of letting them rot/throwing them in the oubliette they can escape, but I think you'd notice that. Have never seen anyone teleporting themselves free myself...

That's definitely a possibility in some scenarios, but I've had this happen multiple times as a Norseman when I've just been raiding the poo poo out of rich holdings.

Leb fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 14, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jolan posted:

Man, starting in India took a long time. I chose a duke in Delhi and quite easily got my independence, but my first few rulers all died before I could get the 500 karma for a subjugation CB. When I finally DID get one off, it was with a ruler who inherited at 15 and is now nearing 90. And my brilliant plan to marry my female heir matrilineally to the king of, eh, the green blob to the east (who was also set to inherit the other huge kingdom in southern India) failed when my ruler finally knocked out a son at 83 years of age, making him my next heir. So over the centuries, I've been able to holy war-conquer all of Persia, but I only have a grand total of one kingdom title in India so far. And I've got several thousands of karma points that're just doing nothing.

Tl;dr: the Hindu subjugation CB should be useable multiple times per ruler, cost less karma, or there should be better ways than the bi-yearly feast, the trait and random events to get a decent amount of karma together.

And tiger hunts are useless after the first decade of the game, which is a shame because tigers.

Yeah, it's a bitch. Try converting to Smartist and bumping up your majesty tech. If your heirs are born Smartist they'll accumulate a fair wodge of karma just by the time they reach maturity. Educating for other +piety traits (humble?) helps too, as does building cathedrals or whatever for your temple vassals. Oh, and if you're having trouble getting rulers to stick around long enough to do anything, try ultimo?

Once I'd gotten the ball rolling (two or three generations?), I was able to pretty reliably launch subjugation wars within a decade of taking the throne, and I am now, in 1260, completely out of peoples to subjugate. I need to figure out some way of dismantling this Dravidian blob, because forging duchy claims is taking centuries.

It's kind of funny how completely unlike actual history this process is. You look at India in this period, and what you generally see is a guy going from raja of bumfuck nowhere to paramaharajadhiraja of the known universe in the space of one or two generations... and then losing it all a generation or two later. Painstakingly building an empire over the course of four centuries and having it be perfectly stable is so loving weird.

Actually, I think realms are too stable everywhere. Not in the sense of there being too few internal conflicts (plenty of those), but in that they never explode. Once a Kingdom/Empire title is formed, it never disappears. Once a de jure vassal is attached to it, they almost never leave. It leads to strange ahistorical poo poo all over the place.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Managed to set up my heir as the King of Castille from the county of Leon in Brittany. Now instead of a minor ruler scheming in one country, I'm a major player on a completely different part of the map. I think my long term goal is to establish a kingdom that sort of crescents from Castille to Brittany.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Autonomous Monster posted:

Actually, I think realms are too stable everywhere. Not in the sense of there being too few internal conflicts (plenty of those), but in that they never explode. Once a Kingdom/Empire title is formed, it never disappears. Once a de jure vassal is attached to it, they almost never leave. It leads to strange ahistorical poo poo all over the place.

I've had basically the opposite experience with the game, oddly enough. While the HRE is always an infuriatingly stable pain in the rear end that slowly consumes Europe like cancer every other nation falls apart pretty regularly. France always splits in to France and Aquitaine, the various Muslim empires just can't hold together except one that will inevitably eat the rest of them only to spend the rest of eternity locked in constant rebellions, and the various Norse cultures just repeatedly punch each other in the dick over one particular duchy the whole game.

As for my own empire it will be mostly stable, if always growing slightly, until one duchy rebels and breaks off randomly at which point every single neighbor and their buddies declare war on me, the Aztecs show up, and my poo poo gets totally ruined in the space of ten years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh, and if you're having trouble getting rulers to stick around long enough to do anything, try ultimo?

You want your rulers to stick around, and think having child rulers every generation is the way to do it? You'd be better off with Elective, swapping your support to the youngest adult son if he's good enough and the most meritorious if he's not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ultimo only results in constant child rulers if you're bad at family planning or extraordinarily unlucky, and "unlucky" can be largely avoided by not using your ruler as a troop commander.

It's especially easy to handle as a culture/religion that permits concubinage.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yeah, regencies can be a problem, but they're definitely manageable and certainly not constant. I have a bigger problem remembering to press claims before my ruler cops it than I do avoiding regencies under ultimo.

Elective would work too, it's just something I tend to avoid because I dislike having to wrangle my vassals. :shrug:

Fuckers are always voting for the wrong guy. :argh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh yeah, Elective is still ludicrously powerful and easily the best choice in terms of pure power. I just can't stand the amount of rear end-kissing and micromanagement it takes to maintain a realm under Elective for more than a generation or two, especially if you're empire-sized.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I saw someone posting about the Workshop not working earlier in the thread, but I have lost the post. Anyway, as far as I can see, Workshop works fine as long as mods have updated their files, but the kicker is that mods installed from the workshop do not appear in the launcher list until you have booted the game once. You can enable them ingame via the content menu too.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh yeah, Elective is still ludicrously powerful and easily the best choice in terms of pure power. I just can't stand the amount of rear end-kissing and micromanagement it takes to maintain a realm under Elective for more than a generation or two, especially if you're empire-sized.

I've never had a problem maintaining a realm under Elective - having any kind of revolt is pretty rare (yeah the usual suspects of ambitious vassals is a problem but they will be a problem anyway) and as long as you are halfway-decent and have good diplo, they'll vote for your designated heir especially if they have good diplo and other traits.

Elective's "problem" is that it's too stable - it's much more like the later HRE where for the most part elections are a formality. Vassals should be more willing to vote for someone else, just so it isn't a mostly foolproof way of having a designated successor.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

I've never had a problem maintaining a realm under Elective - having any kind of revolt is pretty rare (yeah the usual suspects of ambitious vassals is a problem but they will be a problem anyway) and as long as you are halfway-decent and have good diplo, they'll vote for your designated heir especially if they have good diplo and other traits.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's difficult, I'm saying it's tedious. Message spam from vassals constantly changing their votes, tracking down which jerkoffs to bribe, multi-kingdom issues where your preferred heir is inexplicably on one list of permissible electees but not another, it's just obnoxious.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Well my Byzantine game is going quite nicely. Mended the schism by 897 and am now just taking it slow, So far I've managed to conquer all round the middle east to tunis and am just waiting for the claim to be fabricated on genoa and I can finally reform the empire and begin my glorious march to restore the old imperial borders.

One thing I have noticed is that my dynasty will ask for a title, you get the big warning about "saying no they may become an adventurer and take the land by force" so I give them a county to shut them up and they become an adventurer anyway. Is this bugged?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Now you know how the Habsburgs felt.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Managed to set up my heir as the King of Castille from the county of Leon in Brittany. Now instead of a minor ruler scheming in one country, I'm a major player on a completely different part of the map. I think my long term goal is to establish a kingdom that sort of crescents from Castille to Brittany.

If you're careful with marriages and plotstabs, it's not hard to steal bits and pieces from West Francia/Acquitaine by marrying duchesses/countesses/female heirs to all your relatives and then using incest marriages or elective succession to weld those all together. You do have to watch out for de jure wars to take those pieces back, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's difficult, I'm saying it's tedious. Message spam from vassals constantly changing their votes, tracking down which jerkoffs to bribe, multi-kingdom issues where your preferred heir is inexplicably on one list of permissible electees but not another, it's just obnoxious.

That's exactly what I like about Elective. It really makes me feel that I have to struggle to maintain power by playing internal politics and satisfying a bunch of powerful interest groups.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OK, I finally remembered how Medieval 2: Total War's cardinal system worked, and why it was awesome.

In CKII, the cardinals vote amongst themselves to choose the preferatus, but in M2TW, it was the kingdom the cardinal was from who got to vote. So if you have more cardinals, you have more votes. And, you could use diplomacy to secure the votes of the other realms, negotiating them as part of a deal.

There was also a big degree of politics to it, since whoever controlled the Papacy basically got the benefits that CKII gives to a liege of a Pope. You wanted to ensure that if you didn't control the Pope, then at least one of your friends did. There was also the element that you'd get a huge opinion hit with the Pope if you didn't support him in the election, so you need to decide if you think you can tip the scales in favour of the candidate you want, or if you just want to back the most likely winner to avoid the opinion malus.

It was really great, and I'm not sure why at least EU4 doesn't follow this model, since it would be an even cleaner fit for that game, and a hell of a lot more interesting than "invest points until maybe something vaguely good happens".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ultimo only results in constant child rulers if you're bad at family planning or extraordinarily unlucky, and "unlucky" can be largely avoided by not using your ruler as a troop commander.

It's especially easy to handle as a culture/religion that permits concubinage.

I dunno, I've had an awful lot of rulers die in their 20s from "poor health" or random sicknesses, and some shockingly bad luck with children too, like the Emperor who had eight daughters before he finally managed a son.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

This is a 1066 problem, and one that I personally believe makes sense historically with the solidifying of Papal feudalism. Just because certain titles don't belong to their familiar larger historic clumps doesn't mean the game isn't treating the era correctly. Sometimes weird inheritances would happen.

However, I do think that de jure titles should only really be applied to Catholic rulers, as Muslims, pagans, and Eastern Orthodox rulers didn't experience the relative stability of West/Central Europe.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
Okay now what the hell is this?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jabu posted:

Never heard of it before, so I used Notepad++ to Search in Files:

From ChangeLog.txt:
code:
- Conquerors (rulers of conquered titles) can now call on rulers from back home (Cultural Bonds) while defending against other cultures

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jabu posted:

quote:

Cultural bonds: rulers of conquered titles (invasions) can call on rulers from back home as allies, while defending against other cultures
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Alliances

Came in with Patch 1.09 (the Republic DLC patch), apparently:

quote:

Conquerors (rulers of conquered titles) can now call on rulers from back home (Cultural Bonds) while defending against other cultures
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Patch_1.09

e;f,b.

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man
Huh. Pretty sure the de Vermandois dynasty ended up on the throne of Lotharingia-Italy (later Lotharingia and Italy (later Italy-Lotharingia)) via faction revolt, though.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Here's how to use elective:
1. Educate everyone you could want to inherit as a Grey Eminence.
2. Disable the notification for vassal votes.

As long as you have mostly right culture/religion they'll always vote with you. It really is the least tedious inheritance law, imo, as long as you don't have a bunch of extra kingdoms. An empire and a couple of kingdoms is ok, but more than that might get a bit tedious.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Jabu posted:

Huh. Pretty sure the de Vermandois dynasty ended up on the throne of Lotharingia-Italy (later Lotharingia and Italy (later Italy-Lotharingia)) via faction revolt, though.

It might also apply for invasions/holy wars. I just saw it in-game with Asturias and an independant Knights of Santiago getting owned by Moors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So I started an iron man game for achievements, but I haven't been getting achievements. Do I need to be playing with the very latest version? I was trying to hold off until it's all patched.

• Locked thread