Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

-Atom- posted:

I don't know if stepping on people's neck after a fight and spitting in someone's face during one makes them a 'Cool Gracie'.

I'd never heard about this. I just know that he doesn't buy into his family's marketing and he's willing to evolve, he's humble, gives credit where it's due, and is better at MMA than most. Like, if you want to know something about the family history or family politics, you'd ask Renzo, because he'll give it to you without bias and without trying to sell you anything. He's also apparently funny in two languages at once which I imagine would be tricky.

I thought the live tweeting thing was funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Ben Spijkers fight in the WCC and Shungo Oyama fight in Pride respectively for the neck stepping and spitting. In the Oyama fight he does a lot of lovely antics, but also just straight up spits on his opponent while shaping up on the feet.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This aint ballet papi.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Which is dumber grappling/fighting after a botched weight cut or driving an F1 Grand Prix?

http://jalopnik.com/f1-driver-jean-eric-vergne-was-hospitalized-after-starv-1559375341

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I guess 20lb is a lot at that level but wow. 6ft 152 is not possibly "pretty fat". So either he was making a dry joke or has some body image issues.

I remember when Danica patrick started racing and the espn talking heads were debating if her smaller size would be a noticeable advantage.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

I guess 20lb is a lot at that level but wow. 6ft 152 is not possibly "pretty fat". So either he was making a dry joke or has some body image issues.

I remember when Danica patrick started racing and the espn talking heads were debating if her smaller size would be a noticeable advantage.

Drivers are pretty intense when it comes to their size. Jenson button was at like 6% body fat in 2013 and he dropped 6kgs some how in the offseason. Mark Webber was considered big for an f1 driver and he was about 155 pounds and 184cm tall.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

BlindSite posted:

Drivers are pretty intense when it comes to their size. Jenson button was at like 6% body fat in 2013 and he dropped 6kgs some how in the offseason. Mark Webber was considered big for an f1 driver and he was about 155 pounds and 184cm tall.

meanwhile...

I knew you couldn't be a tubbo to drive, for many reasons, but I wasn't aware it was near horse jockey levels. Kinda sucks since I'm sure there's some dolph lundgren sized dude out there with serious talent that never got a seat.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Mark Webber has some freakishly skinny legs. He competes in the the adventure races too (running, mountain biking, kayaking type events that run for a week).

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Royler Gracie: Still a turd

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/12/5602330/royler-gracie-eddie-bravo-metamoris-3-mma-news

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Considering his being a Gracie, he comes off ok in this article imo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Marching Powder posted:

Considering his being a Gracie, he comes off ok in this article imo

"I dominated the first 10 minutes of the fight" "Nothing he did was impressive" "Him beating me in ADCCs was not him winning it was me making a mistake" "He can't submit people with the moves he used". Sorry he still comes off as a shithead. Oh also he mentioned he was almost 50 about ten times. Eddie is only 5 years younger.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'll give royler the first part of the match since he was turning Eddie purple under the pressure but after that it was a 10th planet clinic.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
In the 10 minutes Royler was on top, he couldn't pass guard, get any close sub attempts, or do anything but squeeze Eddie's head. In the 10 minutes Eddie was on top he passed guard, had Royler's back, and had at least three serious sub attempts.

I've said it many times before but there's a huge division between Helio's side of the family and Carlson's, and the main difference is that Helio's side seems to have all the self-delusional whiners.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
All Gracies are on my poo poo list until I've seem them be cool/found out about them being cool. Gracie until proven innocent.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

Ben Spijkers fight in the WCC and Shungo Oyama fight in Pride respectively for the neck stepping and spitting. In the Oyama fight he does a lot of lovely antics

Like what, exactly, because I don't remember any "lovely antics" in the Oyama fight

Spijkers spend the entire night before the WCC fight phoning Renzo's hotel room and calling his wife a whore so I'm gonna give him a pass on that one.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

Like what, exactly, because I don't remember any "lovely antics" in the Oyama fight

Spijkers spend the entire night before the WCC fight phoning Renzo's hotel room and calling his wife a whore so I'm gonna give him a pass on that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY6Cnhrdq9w

so I guess being a piece of poo poo, according to you, doesn't necessarily require motivation

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY6Cnhrdq9w

so I guess being a piece of poo poo, according to you, doesn't necessarily require motivation

lmao this is what people are bitching over? He didn't even spit on him.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

fatherdog posted:

I've said it many times before but there's a huge division between Helio's side of the family and Carlson's, and the main difference is that Helio's side seems to have all the self-delusional whiners.
As a tangentially related side note, Carlson Jr. visited us at the main Renzo academy a week ago. I missed meeting him but most of the afternoon competition class guys met him.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

fatherdog posted:

In the 10 minutes Royler was on top, he couldn't pass guard, get any close sub attempts, or do anything but squeeze Eddie's head. In the 10 minutes Eddie was on top he passed guard, had Royler's back, and had at least three serious sub attempts.

Yeah, I don't get it. Royler didn't even really earn a position. Eddie pulled him into quarter guard to start the match and that's the best spot Royler was in at any point. Given that the position was where Eddie wanted to start his game, it's hard to see that as winning for Royler. He put some pressure on Eddie for awhile, but never improved his position and then became the demonstration dummy for an Electric Chair demo.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

As a tangentially related side note, Carlson Jr. visited us at the main Renzo academy a week ago. I missed meeting him but most of the afternoon competition class guys met him.

While we're trying to decide if Renzo is cool or not, is the Renzo/Marcelo school rivalry a friendly thing? Do those two get along?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

While we're trying to decide if Renzo is cool or not, is the Renzo/Marcelo school rivalry a friendly thing? Do those two get along?

I wonder how John Danaher and Josh Waitzkin feel about each other.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

I read Waitzkin's book, but I ain't never talked to him.

It's a good book.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The rivalry is friendly in general. When Marcelo got flooded, Renzo called Marcelo to offer him the use of our top floor until he could get his place cleaned up. Marcelo declined since he had other arrangements but that sort of illustrates that there is no animosity at all between them. The one thing that's frowned upon is competitors splitting their time between the gyms. You gotta choose who you're going to rep in competition but I know of a few non-competitors who train at both places albeit quietly. There is occasionally some sensitivity to people who change gyms but what can you do.

Renzo is incredibly charismatic and funny in person and is great to talk to and hang out with after training. So it's always kind of odd to me when people who've never met him hate him but you're all entitled to your opinions so I have no real interest in changing anyone's mind.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Sprecherscrow posted:

I've never heard John mention Josh and obviously Josh doesn't train with us so I'm not sure they have any opinions of one another at all.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
East coast BJJ seems way more chill, ironically

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuns posted:

I've never heard John mention Josh and obviously Josh doesn't train with us so I'm not sure they have any opinions of one another at all.

I didn't really think they did, I just started thinking of them as counterparts a while ago and felt like throwing it out there. You got two guys who are both very interested in improving the teaching methodology of bjj. The only seminar I've attended was at Renzo's and Danaher seemed especially cognizant of the limitations of the seminar as a teaching format and how to make the most of them. I've yet to read the Art of Learning, but I imagine Waitzkin would have a similar awareness. And mginaction.com was his idea I believe.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
So I'm attending the Northwest Submission Challenge in Boise at the end of the month. Is anyone else gonna be there?

I'm pretty excited because it's going to be my first competition since I made the switch from Judo to nogi BJJ a few years ago. But I'm also kinda nervous because I don't feel like the guys at my gym appreciate or even fully understand my style (they're all 'hulk smash!' and I'm all 'chess match?'), and they seem to have their hands full prepping some of the other guys already. Have you guys got any good ideas or general advice for me about using these next couple weeks wisely?

For reference I'm 5'11" 155 and I'm basically working on developing an effective Marcelo impression

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
Find somewhere better to train?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I was talking to a someone that was competing for the first time not long ago and mentioned that improvising and going for new things during a competition (or even the time leading up to a competition) should not be done. Hone and apply your bread and butter.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Work out a plan that ties together all your most successful stuff. Don't be too experimental. Your judo will be unexpected so use it to your advantage, do some epic leg trips and some super fast armbars or whatever you're into. If you're having success with your takedowns you could intentionally stand back up a few times to try and bait him into standing up with you again.

Keep your gameplan pretty simple though, don't overthink it, don't be afraid to stray from it if you see a good opportunity for something else.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If you're having success with your takedowns you could intentionally stand back up a few times to try and bait him into standing up with you again.

Pay attention at the rules meeting (or read them or whatever) if you're planning on doing this, most of the tournaments that I've been in have rules that discourage this (e.g. no points on subsequent takedowns if the ref decides you're doing this)

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Amended List of Cool Gracies, 4/04/14:

:siren:Renzo:siren:
Roger
Rose
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Rickson???

Kron

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Pay attention at the rules meeting (or read them or whatever) if you're planning on doing this, most of the tournaments that I've been in have rules that discourage this (e.g. no points on subsequent takedowns if the ref decides you're doing this)

I have also done tournaments where this was abused to no end and no one batted an eye.

At the very least if you can act like you're standing up to pass but give them enough room to stand and see if they'll take the bait.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Yea Kron is cool, listen to his JRE

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I have also done tournaments where this was abused to no end and no one batted an eye.

At the very least if you can act like you're standing up to pass but give them enough room to stand and see if they'll take the bait.

Yeah, I mean even if its supposedly disallowed who the gently caress knows what'll actually be enforced because tournament refs, I'm just saying its something to be aware of.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

He supposedly was really disrespectful and childish towards Braulio backstage at UFC 158.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
First day back to BJJ after two months off and I get a nice little gift of getting my toe sprawled on and reactivating my nice lingering 5 month turf toe. Does anyone here have any success in using wrestling shoes for practice, or is that pointless since they're pretty flexible anyways? I'll of course be taping the toe, and looking into getting a metal plate for my shoes as well. Any experiences?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Rener might have to be removed from the cool Gracie list and put on the Dorkus Malorkus Gracie list after he name-dropped Helio in his love song to his wife, Eve Torres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX2PcRGNt1A

"LOVE AS TRUE AS JIU-JITSU"

daaaaaaaaaaang (not in the good way, either)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
A Gracie wedding seems pretty weird:
http://instagram.com/p/mwHqHXhTrD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

origami posted:

A Gracie wedding seems pretty weird:
http://instagram.com/p/mwHqHXhTrD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGCZGU-MGgE