Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Because the Xbox is ridiculously unpopular in Japan and Square-Enix is a Japanese company.

There might also be size issues when it comes to discs as well, but that's not as much of a problem in a genre known for having multiple discs per game like JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Occupation posted:

Finally, why hasn't any ff, vi or older, arrived on a non-Nintendo console?

Every mainline numbered FF from I to X-2 is available in some form or another for the Vita. VI and below are mostly ports of the PSX versions (which also exist) with really bad load times, but still.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Occupation posted:

Also I have a question-why hasn't any ff before xiii arrived on 360? Why hasn't any ff after vi been on a Nintendo console? Finally, why hasn't any ff, vi or older, arrived on a non-Nintendo console?

VII was possibly originally planned to be on the SNES, and then the N64. There was a tech demo for something FF related, but there's not real information about if it was anything but a "We can do things in 3D now" demonstration. Nintendo's choice of retaining cartridge based storage shot them in the foot with several third-party developers, and Square was one of them. They chose to move to the PSX for the larger CD based storage, and didn't look back for a good while.

I can't remember why XIII got a 360 release, but I figure it's probably because it massively outsold the PS3 in the US at the time. Previous titles, there was really no reason to make non-exclusives, as Sony held the majority of the market in both the fifth and sixth generations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There was a tech demo for something FF related, but there's not real information about if it was anything but a "We can do things in 3D now" demonstration.

It was the latter. It was a battle scene using FF6 stuff running on a Silicon Graphics workstation, which was "kind of" the target system the Ultra 64 was shooting for at the time. It was interactive, you could move the camera around and you drew a star with the mouse to cast magic. But ultimately, it was just "Hey, 3D!".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Endorph posted:

Because the Xbox is ridiculously unpopular in Japan and Square-Enix is a Japanese company.

EDIT: Also the only reason for the FFVII/FFVIII steam ports is that PC ports already existed. Makign IX/XII ports would take actual effort.

1) se ports everything to everything else (see also: fantasy vi, final)

2) they didn't buy eidos for giggles, se is and has been doing a big western push recently (I mean they were outright surprised by bravely defaults sales in the us since they were expected it to be a niche title at best considering it's not "western oriented" like ffxiii-2 and LR "is"). I'm not really complaining just really confused why se hasn't ported their older library to other consoles, especially since the only thing preventing xiv from being on 360 was microsofts dumbass server demands. Se loves porting, it's the backbone of their company and easier than making new titles (also allows them to get away with their ridiculous dev cycles by monetizing each game they make numerous times over). I haven't really figured out a decent explanation for why they haven't done ports to their older library since they're obviously interested in western audiences money

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 14, 2014

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

They've ported the remakes of III and IV, as well as FF Tactics: War of the Lions to Android and iOS, and FFI/IV/VI/Mystic Quest are on the Virtual Console. I and II are on both the GBA and PSP. There's also the GBA ports of IV, V, and VI. And that's not counting the million and one other rereleases of the games on the PSX, WonderSwan, etc. They port their older titles to other systems all the time. If they remake V and VI at some point in the near future, they'll likely end up on the 3DS, and Android/iOS.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

AngryRobotsInc posted:

They've ported the remakes of III and IV, as well as FF Tactics: War of the Lions to Android and iOS, and FFI/IV/VI/Mystic Quest are on the Virtual Console. I and II are on both the GBA and PSP. There's also the GBA ports of IV, V, and VI. And that's not counting the million and one other rereleases of the games on the PSX, WonderSwan, etc. They port their older titles to other systems all the time. If they remake V and VI at some point in the near future, they'll likely end up on the 3DS, and Android/iOS.

All of I through VI are now on iOS actually.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm sure it's been discussed a number of times in this thread already, but I've got a question about Blitzball prizes. I want to knock off Wakka's overdrives/ collectibles with as little BB as humanly possible. Do his reels get awarded in addition to the tournament/league prizes, or should I keep cancelling out until the reels come up as the prize?

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed a number of times in this thread already, but I've got a question about Blitzball prizes. I want to knock off Wakka's overdrives/ collectibles with as little BB as humanly possible. Do his reels get awarded in addition to the tournament/league prizes, or should I keep cancelling out until the reels come up as the prize?
The reels are the prize. Mash that cancel button.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AngryRobotsInc posted:

as well as FF Tactics: War of the Lions to Android

Not yet they haven't. :cry:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Let me tell you about the SE collection on Winphone; FF1 and FF3. Achievements do not make FF3 a more palatable experience for those curious.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I thought it was out in Japan, at least, on Android.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I thought it was out in Japan, at least, on Android.

That doesn't really help, you know, the rest of the world.

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
Whew got my Venus Sigil. First time I did it I got 199 dodges... Immediately went back and did it again urgh. Good that it's over with! Only left with Kihmari's mini game!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

That doesn't really help, you know, the rest of the world.

They want you to get Japanese citizenship.

What if I told you getting the celestial weapons in FFX was training to grind through Japanese immigration paperwork?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

The Fat Chocobo mount just became available in A Realm Reborn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgwsA59WOY

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Why must Chocobos be part of some annoying mini-game? VII had the breeding, IX had the Hot and cold, X has the race and X-2 Has the Ranch.

I just spend some time trying to catch lv 5 chocobos. Out of the 20 or so I have caught in Ch. 5 only about 6 can be lv 5 and 4 of them came from my last collection of 10 from the Thunder Plains. Now I have to grind battles to get Greens to raise them. I am taking advantage of it though to finish mastering the Samurai, Mascot and Songstress dresspheres. (The only reason I haven't yet got it mastered is I was waiting until I got the dance books to so I could do it in one go)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The rest might suck, but Chocobo Hot & Cold was awesome.

Unfortunately, X-2 is 90% minigames and they all suck.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

On one hand, catcher Chocobo

On the other, chocolina

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Chocobo minigame in VIII is probably the only thing I outright hate about the game. That was some tedious bullshit with the ChocoSonar. It took me forever to figure out that I needed to get Chocoboy to move his rear end off the spot he was standing on, in one of the forests.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Chocobo minigame in VIII is probably the only thing I outright hate about the game. That was some tedious bullshit with the ChocoSonar. It took me forever to figure out that I needed to get Chocoboy to move his rear end off the spot he was standing on, in one of the forests.

Most of the time, I don't even remember that there are chocobos in that game. I can't remember anything being worth it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you don't have a Pocketstation the only real reward for doing the chocobo quest is the ability to finish the UFO quest.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

mateo360 posted:

Why must Chocobos be part of some annoying mini-game?

Chocobo Hot & Cold is the best FF mini-game featuring the best mini-game music

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

0.1 on the clock for Catcher :qq:. I understand what I have to do, but those birds are the devil.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

Most of the time, I don't even remember that there are chocobos in that game. I can't remember anything being worth it.

I think the main gimmick behind the Chocobo minigame was getting more cards for Triple Triad. And on Disc 4, you could ride a chocobo to where the Ragnarok was parked and play against the Card Club from Balamb Garden. I really don't remember anything else on the same level as VII, IX, and X though.

EDIT: Hell yes, Hot&Cold was the best Chocobo minigame.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I think the main gimmick behind the Chocobo minigame was getting more cards for Triple Triad. And on Disc 4, you could ride a chocobo to where the Ragnarok was parked and play against the Card Club from Balamb Garden. I really don't remember anything else on the same level as VII, IX, and X though.

EDIT: Hell yes, Hot&Cold was the best Chocobo minigame.

You have to finish the Chocobo minigames to finish the Queen of Cards sidequest, and you need a Chocobo to get to the Ragnarok after the Time Compression to face the CC members again, so yeah, it's pretty much entirely about getting more Triple Triad cards.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even using it to finish the alien quest just gets you PuPu's card.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Epi Lepi posted:

Straight up, VIII continues to be one of my favorite RPGs.

Sometimes I feel like the only person around here who loves VIII and hate hate hates IX.

This is me except I love the whole 13 series and hate 6. I feel like such an outcast. :(

Been playing FF14:ARR since Friday on the PS4, and it's pretty wonderful. The best part is easily being able to lay back on the couch and play an MMO designed to be played on a controller.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Straight up, VIII continues to be one of my favorite RPGs.

Sometimes I feel like the only person around here who loves VIII and hate hate hates IX.

I feel that way about Dragon Quest, too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I knew there was somebody out there besides me who liked FF2.

I don't hate IX but I think it's overrated by some in the fandom. It's kinda the "cool" thing to think IX and V are the best because they always get overlooked. Well, they used to be overlooked. Die-hard fans have kinda helped fix that. V used to be that nothing game sandwiched between two classics and IX got forgotten I think because it came out too close to the end of the PS1. But all the people online have remedied these situations and now liking IX will get you Fandom Points and loving VII will lose you Fandom Points.

I'm telling you guys, it all goes in patterns. IX used to be poo poo on, now almost everyone loves it. X-2 used to be poo poo on, now almost everyone loves it. Give it another decade and when Final Fantasy XVI comes out people will be bitching about how "Square really has gone downhill" and "I miss the days of XIII's great writing."

I was in Tokyo recently and I went to a couple of those retro game stores you hear about. I bought a FFV cart for like, $4 when the other SNES FF games were probably double that at least. The people that like FFV are just vocal about it I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squaresoft themselves considered FFV a bit of an odd duck because it had a much heavier emphasis on mechanics. The time period where they actually considered releasing it over here they actually thought about doing it as a spinoff (Final Fantasy Extreme IIRC) instead of a numbered entry. It has a solid dedicated fanbase but I think you really have to looking at FF for the mechanics for FFV to stand out and a lot of people don't.

Of course now we're at the point where the closest thing to FFV's successor at this point is a full-on new IP with Bravely Default so I guess they never really gave that idea up.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I liked all three of XIII, IX and VIII, but I didn't like IV at all. It's only remotely defensible in the context of being one of the early games of that type.

VI is the first FF that really hit the formula that would stand them in good stead until XII started the weird experimental phase.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

ImpAtom posted:

Of course now we're at the point where the closest thing to FFV's successor at this point is a full-on new IP with Bravely Default

Final Fantasy Dimensions gets that title, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Final Fantasy Dimensions gets that title, I think.

A very fair point. I keep forgetting that exists.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Xenogenesis posted:

The reels are the prize. Mash that cancel button.

Thanks. It also turns out I'm retarded. I kept looking at league prize lists when attack reels comes up in tournament :cripes:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chalk me up as another guy who doesn't like IX, it just hits all the wrong points for me. Characters are firmly locked into roles, an overbearingly steampunk setting, slow combat, and the number of characters I really like I can count on half of a hand.

V, VII, VIII, and X are my all time favorites, and there are enough individual parts of the three XIII games to make me say that I like it on the whole. V's mechanics stand out enough for me enough that I can forgive its steampunk-iness, VII/VIII/XIII have cool modern settings with little sprinklings of fantasy and varying degrees of full-party customization that I can just ditch the characters I hate and forget them forever, and there's really nothing about X that I dislike.

:words:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Steampunk literally means nothing anymore.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Five is considered steampunk?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

Steampunk literally means nothing anymore.

It's shorter than saying "lazily designed faux industrial revolution design aesthetics using pre-modern technology to imitate modern advances". But a lovely aesthetic by any other name is just as lovely.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Five is considered steampunk?

Some areas do, like the floating island, crescent island, and the airship. Everything else is just standard medieval fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I ended up getting the X/X-2 remaster.

FFX looks so loving weird. MGS HD versions looks excatly like the original games, just better, but this looks so loving weird. It's like RPG Maker 3D or something. The character models are like my waifu-dolls. :stare:

What the gently caress is Eternal Calm? I've heard about the X-2 Last Mission, but this is new. It looks pretty bad. Is it bad?

Finally, I don't remember X-2 having this creature creation system in it. Was this like Japan only thing or what?