Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
DR 5/stringed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Standard Action Range 50
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma Vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier yodeling damage

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Gerund posted:

Standard Action Range 50
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma Vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier yodeling damage

whoa there buddy that looks a little too much like 4th edition, let's next that up for you.

An unlimited number of times per day, you may invoke the primal power of your Terrible Yodel to inflict yodeling damage against a single enemy. Terrible Yodel is a Spell-Like ability usable as often as you like each day. In order to affect an enemy with Terible Yodel they must be susceptible to auditory effects. Creatures that are deaf or lack a method of perceiving auditory stimulation are therefore immune. As a standard action, you may yodel at a creature within 400 feet. The creature makes a Fortitude Saving Throw (DC 10 + your Charisma modifier). On a failure, they suffer 1d6 damage plus your Intelligence modifier. On a success the target is unaffected.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Misandu posted:

whoa there buddy that looks a little too much like 4th edition, let's next that up for you.

An unlimited number of times per day, you may invoke the primal power of your Terrible Yodel to inflict yodeling damage against a single enemy. Terrible Yodel is a Spell-Like ability usable as often as you like each day. In order to affect an enemy with Terible Yodel they must be susceptible to auditory effects. Creatures that are deaf or lack a method of perceiving auditory stimulation are therefore immune. As a standard action, you may yodel at a creature within 400 feet. The creature makes a Fortitude Saving Throw (DC 10 + your Charisma modifier). On a failure, they suffer 1d6 damage plus your Intelligence modifier. On a success the target is unaffected.

I-roll/You-roll single-result action resolution systems... in the year two thousand and fourteen!?!?!?!?!?

Dec 26, 2012

Gerund posted:

I-roll/You-roll single-result action resolution systems... in the year two thousand and fourteen!?!?!?!?!?

hosed up, but true.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Backpfeifengesicht. They've got the bard perfect, at least.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I love the german language :allears:

petrol blue posted:

Backpfeifengesicht. They've got the bard perfect, at least.

I'd say thats more an Elf-thing. Smug idiot elfs have been a thing since Shadowrun at the very least.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There is I poo poo you not a five page thread on ENWorld that is now devoted entirely to how that elf's guitar breaks their verisimilitude and is proof that Next is made for dumbed down 4e babbies.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

that elf's guitar breaks their verisimilitude

How?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Guitars aren't in Fafhand & the Grey Mouser.

e: I'm being disingenuous--of course there's a lot of stuff in appendix N that'd break their verisimilitude, because it was full of weird stuff. The real answer is because a guitar wasn't in greyhawk OR forgotten realms, and that should be enough variety of setting for anyone.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Well you see its an electric guitar and

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Well you see its an electric guitar and

It's literally this.

There's a few people desperately trying to prove it totally is a real life medieval guitar from Spain or something? I don't even get why you'd try to convince them on their insane level instead of writing them off as joyless maniacs.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I mean, even if there weren't guitars like that, can't the "electric" guitar just be a "magic" guitar and *boom* instantly make sense?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I've seen acoustic lap steel guitars that look pretty much exactly like that, but grogs wouldn't be grogs if they weren't jealously guarding the narrowness of their own viewpoints, I guess.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

ProfessorCirno posted:

There is I poo poo you not a five page thread on ENWorld that is now devoted entirely to how that elf's guitar breaks their verisimilitude and is proof that Next is made for dumbed down 4e babbies.

Hahaha god these people are literally the most soulless fun haters ever.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Generic Octopus posted:

I mean, even if there weren't guitars like that, can't the "electric" guitar just be a "magic" guitar and *boom* instantly make sense?

Only wizards can have magic you loving communist!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vire posted:

Hahaha god these people are literally the most soulless fun haters ever.
Anyone who wants to go fighting supernaturally reanimated skeletons in an underground wizard's tower with an elf who shoots magical songs out of a pointy guitar clearly has no respect for the hobby.

Dec 26, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I've seen acoustic lap steel guitars that look pretty much exactly like that, but grogs wouldn't be grogs if they weren't jealously guarding the narrowness of their own viewpoints, I guess.

it kinda looked like a resonator at first but looking twice not so much

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
I have no imagination and I must scream

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No, just type up a "retrogame."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hahahahahaha I have to see this, post a link.

Dec 26, 2012

arent bards full casters now too

so they should be making GBS threads magic, certainly enough to do some basic amp poo poo

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Dr Pepper posted:

Hahahahahaha I have to see this, post a link.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?354293-Better-pics-from-PAX-East

have at it.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

01011001 posted:

arent bards full casters now too

so they should be making GBS threads magic, certainly enough to do some basic amp poo poo

band nerds were a tier above en poster in highschool so they too shouldn't have nice things

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hahahahaha.

That guitar the Elf is using is clearly too unrealistic for my fantasy game.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

For the amount of dumb motherfuckers that will go the extra mile with halfway-broken house rules in order to work out their own steampunk robo-limb fantasies, you'd think that a slightly tricked out guitar would be celebrated.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
there really needs to be a write up on the magical construction of this item and how it operates (magic) before i can accept it into my game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

stoutfish posted:

there really needs to be a write up on the magical construction of this item and how it operates (magic) before i can accept it into my game

Well I took a guitar and put some magic in it and now it's louder.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

no no no a wizard had to make the guitar magic first, sheesh

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"The attack bonus, the saves, the spells, they all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and..."

Oh, I see. And most systems go up to ten?

"Exactly."

Does that mean it's better? Is it any better?

"Well, it's one better, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your magical guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?"

I don't know.

"Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra level to kill Vecna, you know what we do?"

Put it up to eleven.

"Eleven. Exactly. One better."

Why don't you just make ten better and make ten be the top number?

[pause]

"D&DNext goes to eleven."

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

* I'm assuming that the bard is meant to be male based on the depicted narrow hips; however, the apparent angle of the (clothed) left elbow does give me some pause in that regard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

elfs are gay

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
straight elfs ruin my verisimilitude

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

* I'm assuming that the bard is meant to be male based on the depicted narrow hips; however, the apparent angle of the (clothed) left elbow does give me some pause in that regard.

hmmm yeah that elf got a real girly elbow

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Gerund posted:

"D&DNext goes to eleven."

:golfclap:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

elfs are so thin because of their raw paleo diet, no fire and no field-crops, they're basically creepy hairless cavemen

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I like the elfs in dwarf fortress: wage holy war on any sapients who dare harm a tree, eat their dead

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doc Hawkins posted:

I like the elfs in dwarf fortress: wage holy war on any sapients who dare harm a tree, eat their dead

So what you're trying to say is that the elfs in dwarf fortress are like portland vegans?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Error 404 posted:

So what you're trying to say is that the elfs in dwarf fortress are like portland vegans?

They will literally murder you if you try to sell them chairs.

(I wish the other races in Dwarf Fortress were so zany)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
But they'll happily buy heaps of filthy rags that should've been thrown in a volcano a long time ago. Sort of like Pathfinder players.

• Locked thread