Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
The stock Podcasts app is actually much better now than the previous versions. I might be the last person who didn't jump ship to a different app, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Piquai Souban posted:

Regarding Maximum Fun Drive: bonus episodes are only available for 5$/month and up, donation-wise, and not one-time donations? I'm happy to donate the equivalent of a few months worth, but would prefer a one-timer if possible.

They only accept monthly donations because they set their budget around getting money every month.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

The stock Podcasts app is actually much better now than the previous versions. I might be the last person who didn't jump ship to a different app, though.

I use the stock app too and I'm fine with it. My only real issue with podcasts and iTunes is how it'll stop downloading and updating if I don't listen to the past (x) episodes. Sometimes I stockpile. At least give me an option to either turn it off or up the number of unlistened episodes.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah the Apple Podcast app was straight garbage when first released. But 2.0 came out around the release of ios7 and it does everything it needs to. No switching to iTunes to search for podcast either.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I use podkicker on android and it works really well, at least for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The stock Podcasts app has been annoying me the way it frequently has errors saying the podcast is "temporarily unavailable". Not sure if that's exclusive to the app but it didn't always happen and now it's happening all the time.

Also when a download fails the episode still shows up in recent episodes with a blue dot like it's there but then it won't play when I'm in the subway and that's where I really need podcasts.

I think I need to try Downcast.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Politicalrancor posted:

I use podkicker on android and it works really well, at least for me.

Same here I use it enough that I just grabbed the pay version. It's a fantastic app for android.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
For Android, the paid version of BeyondPod is the only one that I found that did everything I wanted (and more). I've heard great things about Downcast (as above) on iOS.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble with downcast. I've got a fast internet connection but it's still downloading the comedy bang bang podcasts over five hours later.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Same here I use it enough that I just grabbed the pay version. It's a fantastic app for android.

yeah me too i think it was 2 bucks so easily worth it

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is there a way to mark all as played in the stock iOS app? That's the only complaint I have really.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is there a way to mark all as played in the stock iOS app? That's the only complaint I have really.

Kinds. You can by podcast it seems.

Go to a Podcast. Click on Edit. An empty circle will come up next to each episode and at the top, "Edit" and "Mark" appear. Click all of the circles to mark the episodes, click "Mark" at the top and you'll get the option to mark as played or unplayed.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

ChickenArise posted:

For Android, the paid version of BeyondPod is the only one that I found that did everything I wanted (and more). I've heard great things about Downcast (as above) on iOS.

Seconding BeyondPod. I've literally never had a single problem with it in the two years or so that I've been using it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Kinds. You can by podcast it seems.

Go to a Podcast. Click on Edit. An empty circle will come up next to each episode and at the top, "Edit" and "Mark" appear. Click all of the circles to mark the episodes, click "Mark" at the top and you'll get the option to mark as played or unplayed.

Yeah, I knew you could do it for each individual podcast but it'd be nice if there was a way to do it for all podcasts at once. Especially since if you add old episodes it counts them as new. Also I subscribe to a lot of podcasts that I only listen to if I like the guest(s). :v:

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
nevermind, misunderstood the question

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Saw Matt Besser tweeting at Sarah Slocum, that Google Glass lady who got attacked in the San Francisco bar (with the recording of her telling people she wasn't recording them), convincing her to call in for an episode. I have to hear that.

http://ow.ly/uVBAT

Marketed Gum
Jun 26, 2007

Todd Glass is on the Todd Barry podcast today. He opens by saying that he was thinking of topics he shouldn't talk about because he's covered them on podcasts too much already. Then he talks about comedy club policies and etiquette for the next hour. I didn't hate it since both Todds are great, but not exactly breaking new ground.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I finally got around to making a new episode. Its all about Defensive Carry of firearms.

http://loureads.com/2014/03/26/lou-reads-121-discussions-from-the-forums-of-defensivecarry-com/

Also I use "Instacast" to listen to podcasts. It was recommended by a friend. It works ok.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, it didn't take long for that to descend into thinly veiled racism.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The latest You Made It Weird was a live one at SXSW that owned. Braunger was just bringing endless excellent riffs, and Nicole Byer had some amazing stories. Definitely awesome and worth listening to, if not one of the best live YMIWs yet! http://www.nerdist.com/2014/03/you-made-it-weird-200-live-from-sxsw-2014/

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Labored Wooting posted:

Todd Glass is on the Todd Barry podcast today. He opens by saying that he was thinking of topics he shouldn't talk about because he's covered them on podcasts too much already. Then he talks about comedy club policies and etiquette for the next hour. I didn't hate it since both Todds are great, but not exactly breaking new ground.
oh boy does he finally reveal his stance on the check drop?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh hey, Asterios is a new writer on International Waters. Congrats dude! :3:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm catching up on the Maxfundrive JJGO livestream right now, and I'm normally a big fan of these guys, but I have to wonder why Jesse introduced Gillian Jacobs and then immediately started telling a long meandering story about the postal service museum.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I used to listen to JJGo all the time, and one of my favorite moments on the show was when Sarah Vowell called them out for doing the same thing to her.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
That's kind of Jesse's thing. Kind of amazing that he has managed to have so many people flock to him since he seems to only be interested in the sound of his own voice.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
He wasn't always this intense. The early run of Jordan Jesse Go was actually really good.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ordinarily I don't have any problem with it. It just seemed odd to me that Gillian was introduced for a liveshow, I zoned out for a second, and then he was telling a seemingly irrelevant story while she and Jordan were mostly quiet.

After a minute or two the show returned to the normal flow and I found it quite entertaining. It just seemed like an odd moment to me, since in my opinion at least, he's usually quite professional re: the running of his dick-joke podcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Jessie is normally really good but it was a pretty dumb, pointless, ramble that was honestly a little rude to do right after introducing someone.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I just got to shake hands and chat with Judge John Hodgman while he was wearing a dress. It was...life-changing. (he did his quasi-standup show at UCSB, which is a couple blocks away from where I live. VERY much worth seeing)

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

Teddybear posted:

Oh hey, Asterios is a new writer on International Waters. Congrats dude! :3:

Thanks! So far it's a lot of fun - Sarah & Colin are such professionals, it's really impressive how well they run International Waters. I think the next episode will be my first.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Majorian posted:

I just got to shake hands and chat with Judge John Hodgman while he was wearing a dress. It was...life-changing. (he did his quasi-standup show at UCSB, which is a couple blocks away from where I live. VERY much worth seeing)
Ragnarok was fine for what it was but I'm really looking forward to see a set of his that isn't based on something else. Was his new stuff more stand-up-ish?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm really digging general snoose's advertising blitz as I get to hear my favourite podcast hosts saying "product may cause mouth cancer." They all react!

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Be there!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I just posted my latest episode

http://loureads.com/2014/04/14/lou-reads-revisits-the-poz-experience-at-raw-tops-breeding-zone/ :nms:

Also if you live in the NYC area I'll be doing a live version of my podcast @

http://remixnyc.com/2014

CultureHub, 47 Great Jones St.
April 26th., 8pm

Tickets are $20, but $10 with the discount code ARTFAN.

Basically I'll be reading some of my favorite nonsense from the past 5 years of podcasts. Bring a friend. Gross them out...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

King Lou posted:

I just posted my latest episode

http://loureads.com/2014/04/14/lou-reads-revisits-the-poz-experience-at-raw-tops-breeding-zone/ :nms:

Also if you live in the NYC area I'll be doing a live version of my podcast @

http://remixnyc.com/2014

CultureHub, 47 Great Jones St.
April 26th., 8pm

Tickets are $20, but $10 with the discount code ARTFAN.

Basically I'll be reading some of my favorite nonsense from the past 5 years of podcasts. Bring a friend. Gross them out...

I wanted to say that your podcast can be hit or miss, (but that shouldn't be a surprise when the content you are reading is so varied) sometimes I love it, other times I'm not so interested. I do have to say that any time you need to stop because the stuff you are reading makes you nauseous is just the best.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Most of the posts on forums like this are probably just fantasy, right? There's a part in this one where a guy is like "Man I've only been hosed by 43 guys this year so far, I gotta pick up the pace" and it is insane

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Are you still recording these at work?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Are you still recording these at work?

No. Sadly, no more work interruptions. That was the best because I could edit them on the clock, too.

Help Im Alive posted:

Most of the posts on forums like this are probably just fantasy, right? There's a part in this one where a guy is like "Man I've only been hosed by 43 guys this year so far, I gotta pick up the pace" and it is insane

There is a Fiction subforum on that site and the post you're referring to is not in it. That being said it is the internet and it could all be insane lies. However, some of the Gay gentlemen I know have had some issues with meth & sex in their lives and it isn't out of the question for them to say they spent 3 days hooking up with random dudes at an event of some kind. The Breeding Zone attracts people who are into some pretty intense levels of their fantasy play if it is fantasy.

King Lou fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 14, 2014

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Snowy posted:

The stock Podcasts app has been annoying me the way it frequently has errors saying the podcast is "temporarily unavailable". Not sure if that's exclusive to the app but it didn't always happen and now it's happening all the time.

Also when a download fails the episode still shows up in recent episodes with a blue dot like it's there but then it won't play when I'm in the subway and that's where I really need podcasts.

I think I need to try Downcast.

This is an old post, but just in case other people are getting the same problem I found a workaround on iPhone. If I have network connection, half the time when I go to play a downloaded podcast it will tell me it needs to connect to mobile data to download and play it. However if I switch my phone into airplane mode then it will play just fine. Once its started playing you can turn airplane mode off and it will still keep playing.

Summary: Podcast app is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

This episode is great. I had to stop myself from bursting out laughing in class when you stopped during the first part and were like "Should have read more of this before I started reading it!"

• Locked thread