Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Manatee Cannon posted:

But yeah they kinda for her down your throat whether you like her or not. Unless you ignore her link, but only crazy people ignore s-links.

Totally ignored her link. And then late game she goes on and on about how she's leaving now and I'm pretty sure I picked the option that was basically "Okay, see ya.".

I regret absolutely nothing.

laplace posted:

Even though people say that they liked the P4 anime for crazy protag Yu, nothing excuses how wacky and all over the place the pacing was. And how bad the animation quality was.

Never forget google images backgrounds. Never forget double Chie.

Maybe bias blinds me a little bit but I enjoyed the hell outta that show. For 26 episodes, the pacing is pretty crazy, but it had to fit somehow, I guess.

I also did watch the Blu-ray version and didn't notice anything particularly awful. Wasn't aware about anything from Google Images until now but :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Momomo posted:

Hearing all the bad stuff about DS2's anime just makes me want to watch it more, really. It sounds like they did something at least sort of interesting with the character deaths, at least.

It's not bad in the trainwreck sense (at least until the ending). It's bad in the bland dull way where people keel over like flies and you're never given a reason to give a poo poo about any of them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

Because you love Marie. Marie is your favorite and you are super invested in her plot line and her story and her stupid hat with a pin in it. All of those things are endearing to you, obviously.

When even Japan hates you, you know you made a poo poo character.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Alteisen posted:

Wow, even the Japanese fanbase hated her?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Persona Q battle trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyZlPtvnpg

That battle theme. :swoon:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gyoru posted:

I want this game now.

I can see why everyone has the wild card now, now you can use whatever team you want without worrying about moves, weakness and such, smart move.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Still holding out hope FemMc is a hidden character or something.

Neeksy posted:

Wow, even the Japanese fanbase hated her?

Yeah I want to hear more about this.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Still holding out hope FemMc is a hidden character or something.

According to some earlier previews, Theo makes weapons but wears a girly apron that has a story behind it. I'm expecting a few nods to the FeMC route, but it might be a little awkward to include her since the other characters won't remember her at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The whole plot seems to be silly and contrived already, who cares if they make it more-so to get in the best main character? It's not like it's canon, they can do whatever the hell they feel like with it.

That being said I doubt she's in the game, which is unfortunate.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Combat seems pretty slow due to the animations, hopefully there's a way to speed it up. Looks pretty solid though, can't wait for the US release.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Combat seems pretty slow due to the animations, hopefully there's a way to speed it up. Looks pretty solid though, can't wait for the US release.

If it's like Etrian Odyssey, there'll be four speeds for battles including an option to turn off animations entirely.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

First time I read about this. I thought general consensus was that Japan is A-OK with her?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I'm still on my very first playthrough but is there any additional benefit to leveling Marie's S-Link? I think I took her out once but besides her popping up at the very beginning I don't feel particularly interested in her.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fooley posted:

I'm still on my very first playthrough but is there any additional benefit to leveling Marie's S-Link? I think I took her out once but besides her popping up at the very beginning I don't feel particularly interested in her.

You get a bonus dungeon in February, and completing that gets you an epilogue after the credits.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fooley posted:

There's an additional dungeon and an epilogue tied to maxing her link, so yes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Don't worry too much about the bonus dungeon if you really hate her guts though, it's a gimmick dungeon where you don't get much exp or keep any of the items you find excluding skill cards from shuffle. You don't even get money. It's interesting but not worth putting up with a character you dislike.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Unfortunately you sort of have to do that lovely dungeon if you want the super true ending and see Yosuke wearing awful casual clothing which is almost worth it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The terrible Feb dungeon is pretty great if you have Victory Cry/Morningstar, because it has one gimmick instead of difficulty and you can at least heal and Megidolaon every fight.

The redeeming thing about it was having the extended ski trip scene allowing for MAXIMUM BROTIME (the most brotime it is possible to have). However, this cutscene is balanced by the creepy terrible second inn cutscene! So it all shakes out to not very good.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I liked the boss of the new dungeon a lot, if only because it actually made me think for a second to figure out its gimmick

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Devil Summoner Raidou is at the top of GameFAQs Top 10 List: Great games with terrible titles. Apparently Atlus had a comeback when announcing Raidou 2 for localization:

Atlus USA posted:

Ignore when people say that the length of a game's title is not important, that a title should just convey what the game is about.

They're just jealous theirs isn't as long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

From what I can tell, that top 10 A) fails to get the Queen reference in Tactics Ogre's title and B) thinks The World Ends With You is a terrible name for a game.

gently caress that dude.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

In this Gundam game, you control a Gundam that has to Gundam-fight with other Gundams in order to save the Gundams that comprise the rest of the Gundam universe. Your Gundam is outfitted with Gundam weapons, Gundam armor, Gundam engines and Gundam fuel and is perfectly well-equipped with Gundam accessories to fight the other Gundams that other Gundam pilots fly to try to destroy your Gundam. You can customize your Gundam with plenty of Gundam add-ons to build the most Gundamtastic Gundam of your imgundamation. Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam. Gundam. Oh, and Gundam Gundam. Gundam! Rule #1 of video game naming: If your title is 6 words long, three of them should not be the same darn word. But don't let that stop you: Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam. Gundam!

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Setsuna F. Seiei's top ten list.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

From what I can tell, that top 10 A) fails to get the Queen reference in Tactics Ogre's title and B) thinks The World Ends With You is a terrible name for a game.

gently caress that dude.

The reason he rags on TWEWY is the acronym sounds dumb.

I can't decide if that's better or worse.

Edit: He also thinks Dirge of Cerberus is a 'great' game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gaping gape gaper posted:

In this Gundam game, you control a Gundam that has to Gundam-fight with other Gundams in order to save the Gundams that comprise the rest of the Gundam universe. Your Gundam is outfitted with Gundam weapons, Gundam armor, Gundam engines and Gundam fuel and is perfectly well-equipped with Gundam accessories to fight the other Gundams that other Gundam pilots fly to try to destroy your Gundam. You can customize your Gundam with plenty of Gundam add-ons to build the most Gundamtastic Gundam of your imgundamation. Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam. Gundam. Oh, and Gundam Gundam. Gundam! Rule #1 of video game naming: If your title is 6 words long, three of them should not be the same darn word. But don't let that stop you: Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam Gundam. Gundam!
This one owned pretty hard though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I picked up Innocent Sin when it went back up on the PSN store a few days ago, and I have a couple of questions:

- I gather that one of the characters was also a party member in the first game. Am I missing out on anything not having played that?
- I have trouble bringing myself to kill the monsters because after talking to them they're all way too loving adorable, what do i do

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Innocent Sin is the first game, Maya becomes the protagonist of Eternal Punishment.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Artix posted:

Innocent Sin is the first game, Maya becomes the protagonist of Eternal Punishment.

I meant the first Persona game! :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Artix posted:

I think he's referring to Yukino, who was also in Persona 1.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I finally picked up SMTIV again and I've managed to get then neutral path. Is it just me or did Jonathan and Walter not seem to be all that into their own alignments? Before you meet Lilith, Walter really just seemed like he sympathized with the people of Tokyo, there wasn't any of this stupid "Only the strong survive" crap coming from him, and Jonathan just seemed to be a bit more naive about people that weren't as privileged as him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The alignment stuff is terrible in SMT4, I wouldn't think about it too hard.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part of how I rationalize it is that after getting to Blasted Tokyo for the first time, Walter and Jonathan both act as if Flynn went with them individually. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that they're both from parallel universes (which were really similar to the one the main story took place in but not quite the same) and that they're more inclined to believe the hard alignment doctrine than the Walter and Jonathan Flynn knew at the start, who probably died when the gate to the expanse was opened, like Tayama did in Walter's side of things.

The gate gets opened just before Flynn gets dumped in the White Forest, so another swap could've happen then too.

Of course, none of this explains why Walter was starting to act like an asshat before everything went down, but eh.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 14, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Instant Grat posted:

I picked up Innocent Sin when it went back up on the PSN store a few days ago, and I have a couple of questions:

- I gather that one of the characters was also a party member in the first game. Am I missing out on anything not having played that?

Emphatically not. There are people who like the game, but I think even then you have to admit it's very much not for everyone. And nothing you need to know for 2 happens in 1, it'll explain what it needs to.

quote:

- I have trouble bringing myself to kill the monsters because after talking to them they're all way too loving adorable, what do i do

Make them interested and happy and make friends and find some not so cute monsters they are out there.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I'm trying to play Eternal Punishment and I'm a little confused as to how I'm supposed to be playing in the beginning; am I supposed to focus on contacting/contracting (why did they pick two similar terms?????) or defeating monsters? Also I got my rear end brutally murdered by a zombie schoolgirl.

Basically I need help. :saddowns:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Color Printer posted:

So I'm trying to play Eternal Punishment and I'm a little confused as to how I'm supposed to be playing in the beginning; am I supposed to focus on contacting/contracting (why did they pick two similar terms?????) or defeating monsters? Also I got my rear end brutally murdered by a zombie schoolgirl.

Basically I need help. :saddowns:

Fight monsters, contact anything you don't think you can beat or if you need more tarot cards.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

From what I remember you want to contract demons by evoking interest so they give you tarot cards. You need those to summon new personas.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Manatee Cannon posted:

From what I remember you want to contract demons by evoking interest so they give you tarot cards. You need those to summon new personas.

Contracts are different. If you evoke interest they'll give you cards. If you make them happy, they'll contract, and then if you evoke interest later, they'll give you free cards that you can make into any other type of card (in addition to the normal cards).

In EP, you generally don't want to focus on one over the other, just do both as you feel like/have a need for personas of specific arcanum.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I strongly encourage people to play Innocent Sin first, partly for the story and characters (Michel my belle :allears:) and partly because it's MUCH easier. I don't think I died once in 70-odd hours of IS, not even to the super-hard secret enemy or the bonus PSP dungeon, but the first boss in EP wiped the floor with me.

The one major EP change is in the way contacting works; as far as I can tell, each character has one solo contact option, but the order in which you select characters for a group contact now matters, Ulala>Maya having a different result than Maya>Ulala.

On another note: Didn't Ulala already have a Persona in IS? Did that ever get explained?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Captain Walker posted:

I strongly encourage people to play Innocent Sin first, partly for the story and characters (Michel my belle :allears:) and partly because it's MUCH easier. I don't think I died once in 70-odd hours of IS, not even to the super-hard secret enemy or the bonus PSP dungeon, but the first boss in EP wiped the floor with me.

The one major EP change is in the way contacting works; as far as I can tell, each character has one solo contact option, but the order in which you select characters for a group contact now matters, Ulala>Maya having a different result than Maya>Ulala.

On another note: Didn't Ulala already have a Persona in IS? Did that ever get explained?

In a lot of ways EP is sort of like hard mode version of IS. Both thematically (instead of the Joker making dreams come true he murders people) and gameplay wise. You only have four party members for like a third of the game, a lot of the useful spells are harder to get, a lot of the fusion spells were nerfed, you don't get free Persona upgrades anymore, etc, etc.

One night she and Maya were drunk and Maya taught her the Persona game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I was actually about to ask if Innocent Sin is gonna start getting hard soon - I just finished the second dungeon (the red disco-place where everyone is wearing masks) and so far my SP recovers so quickly that it gets completely restored before every battle, and even in boss fights, getting one character to heal every two turns or so usually does the trick for keeping me alive.