Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

alg posted:

Probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

I just bought a copy of The Doors (self titled) original 1967 mono release in G+ condition. Ebay. I paid $15.50. Did I get a good deal?

I would've sold you mine for a cool $14. I know I'm going to sound like a trashpicker, but that's absolutely something you could have found at a thrift store/flea market/garage sale if you had a little patience. How bad did you need to hear the Doors?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I picked up the rhino stereo repressing new for less than that, but I guess that's not as cool or whatever.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hmm. So are all of these sellers just morons? Or am I completely missing something?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

caiman posted:

Hmm. So are all of these sellers just morons? Or am I completely missing something?

It's not the sellers who are morons...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just because an item is for sale at a high price, doesn't mean it'll sell for that. They're probably hoping someone will bite at that rate.

I'm guessing that record probably got pressed in a huge quantity, like all the Beatles records people presume are worth tons because of who the band are and forgetting that popular albums get massive presses.

End of the day, do you think $15.50 is a good price to pay for that record? If so, then it's fine. You didn't have to dig through crates and you got one in a condition you're happy with. I pay 'over the odds' for records all the time, because I'll spot something in a shop when I'm travelling and I'll get it on impulse. I don't regret paying the prices, even if I could've gone online and got them a bit cheaper.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

alg posted:

It's not the sellers who are morons...

Touche. But then again, if people are regularly willing to pay $100+ for something I paid $15 for, then that seems like a good deal to me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caiman posted:

Touche. But then again, if people are regularly willing to pay $100+ for something I paid $15 for, then that seems like a good deal to me.

You'd have to search ebay completed/sold listings and/or Popsike to see what people are actually buying it for.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Snowy posted:

You'd have to search ebay completed/sold listings and/or Popsike to see what people are actually buying it for.

I was just thinking the same thing, so I came across this http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=EKL+4007&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

Granted the one I bought is only G+ condition, but people are paying pretty good money for this release.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't know why people are always like "Who gives a gently caress about the cover, man? It's all about the MUSIC."

Like, it's possible to want to enjoy something for both its functionality and its aesthetics. If I buy a book, it's to read the contents but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer a version with a cover that isn't all ripped up and water-damaged too.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i dont know how much more clearly we can tell you that the doors record you bought is not worth a significant amount of money

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

BigFactory posted:

I'll buy some real trash if it's a dollar.

This. If it's cheap enough I'll buy some pretty hosed up poo poo just to have a placeholder until I can find a nicer copy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

I was just thinking the same thing, so I came across this http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=EKL+4007&incldescr=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=&currsel=

Granted the one I bought is only G+ condition, but people are paying pretty good money for this release.

Does it have Morrisson saying gently caress in The End? I should probably listen to mine to see if it's censored or not, but then I'd have to listen to the Doors.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
ya we should take a moment to recognize and understand how bad the doors are

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BigFactory posted:

Does it have Morrisson saying gently caress in The End? I should probably listen to mine to see if it's censored or not, but then I'd have to listen to the Doors.

Auction didn't specify. I guess it'll be a surprise.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

stay depressed posted:

i dont know how much more clearly we can tell you that the doors record you bought is not worth a significant amount of money

You can see sold listings where people are paying a lot for it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DOORS-S...=item2589d81f0e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DOORS-S...=item43c69b4e6b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-DOORS-d...=item43bf1457aa

So, to some people, it is.

That said, I wouldn't pay very much for any G condition record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caiman posted:

Auction didn't specify. I guess it'll be a surprise.

I would have to imagine that an uncensored version would be worth considerably more than a censored one, and that a censored one might go in the $15.50 range.

stay depressed posted:

ya we should take a moment to recognize and understand how bad the doors are

Especially the first record. They had some fun songs later in their career. Peace Frog's a pretty good song. I like LA Woman. Touch Me is a great karaoke song. But that first record is some bullshit.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 14, 2014

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

stay depressed posted:

I'm replying here not out of defensiveness but out of genuine confusion. You're saying it's not worth anything, but I just linked to a list of completed auctions showing that people have been paying good money. If worth is determined by what people are willing to pay, then I'm either completely missing a major factor here, or your statement is demonstrably wrong.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

caiman posted:

G+ condition.

Unfortunately in the crazy world of record collecting Good+ does not really mean that good and condition is everything in terms of value. A G+ record will be suitable "play" copy to listen and enjoy, shouldn't have major skips but probably lots of surface noise. Unless it's a record you might never see again or just a cheap copy to add to your collection, I'd avoid paying too much for any G+ record. Generally a G+ copy would hold 10% of the value of a NM copy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't know why people are always like "Who gives a gently caress about the cover, man? It's all about the MUSIC."

I buy covers with missing vinyl if they're good enough! Packaging is a huge part of the vinyl experience. It's not only about the warm sound with dust crackle and skips.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wait, you guys keep the covers? I get rid of them so it's not a huge hassle when I flip through my pile of loose records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caiman posted:

I'm replying here not out of defensiveness but out of genuine confusion. You're saying it's not worth anything, but I just linked to a list of completed auctions showing that people have been paying good money. If worth is determined by what people are willing to pay, then I'm either completely missing a major factor here, or your statement is demonstrably wrong.

Are you hoping to sell it or something? If you're satisfied with the purchase then who cares?

That being said I wouldn't buy any record graded Below a VG because that's unlistenable to me (of course that's just my preference) and for something like 20 dollars you can get a brand new copy of that. Although it's worth noting that all mono versions of the Doors s/t have some kind distortion going on because of some bullshit that happened to the original tapes. So a pristine copy of that from any time is going to have some fuzzy sounds on it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

Are you hoping to sell it or something? If you're satisfied with the purchase then who cares?

Oh I really don't care that much, $15 is nothing big and I'm happy with the purchase. My interest in this mostly comes from being a newbie and wanting to understand vinyl value/rarity/prices/etc.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I always thought a good was just a fair that is still in one piece.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah, it's not a great system when good = lovely

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Here's the unlistenable Doors records and Flaming Lips reissues I've bought lately:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Where did you get that Splits single? I've been looking for a copy of their LP for a really long time.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Where did you get that Splits single? I've been looking for a copy of their LP for a really long time.

Airiston Punk-levyt's record stall at this little festival they do. I'm pretty sure they also had a few copies of the LP, but tbf I was drunk.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
People who care about the value/rarity of their records more than the music suck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Aw yeah, poo poo's about to get real. And I got my first ever turntable just in time for Record Store Day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

People who care about the value/rarity of their records more than the music suck.

But what about those of us who pay high prices because we like the music so much?

Star Man posted:

Aw yeah, poo poo's about to get real. And I got my first ever turntable just in time for Record Store Day.

A good decision.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Sorry these aren't obscure punk or stoner/doom/sludge.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

But what about those of us who pay high prices because we like the music so much?
You are buying it to enjoy it and not just to sell it later, what's the issue?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

Nothing I guess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bowmore posted:

I do both.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've never sold any of my records unless for whatever reason I ended up with multiple copies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdO-w3xnpw

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 15, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I guess I should have said I buy to enjoy and possibly sell later, I don't just buy to resell. But I'm more likely to buy a record if I know it will sell again easily if I don't need to keep it.

I used to be proud that I had every record I ever owned, going back to my childhood, but I got over that. It's just too much when living in a small space, and when one of my records is worth a lot more to other people than it is to me, it's getting sold.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Speaking of reselling stuff, I would love to get the Type O Negative boxset. But not for $700-$900 used :(

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Snowy posted:

I guess I should have said I buy to enjoy and possibly sell later, I don't just buy to resell. But I'm more likely to buy a record if I know it will sell again easily if I don't need to keep it.

I used to be proud that I had every record I ever owned, going back to my childhood, but I got over that. It's just too much when living in a small space, and when one of my records is worth a lot more to other people than it is to me, it's getting sold.
Yeah I have no issue with that. It's just the people who buy records because they think they are rare or can resell them later and don't even play them that annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

Yeah I have no issue with that. It's just the people who buy records because they think they are rare or can resell them later and don't even play them that annoy me.

I also hate the "Well I don't listen to them but I can't sell them to you because they have sentimental value" people.