Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hardwood Floor posted:

Anyone have tips on how to clip a cat's nails? One of my cats is totally fine with it and will let me clip all his nails without any trouble whatsoever but I'm having a hard time with the other. Throwing a towel over her doesn't really help because she's very squirmy and my fiancee can't help because she's disabled. Would it just be easier to take her to the vet or is there any other methods I can try?

Try trimming them progressively while the cat is asleep. Do it a paw at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I've had success using a 2'' binder clip to scruff the cat while keeping both hands free for clipping. Here's a very amusing YouTube video about it, too: http://youtu.be/T9TmmF79Rw0

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CompactFanny posted:

I've had success using a 2'' binder clip to scruff the cat while keeping both hands free for clipping. Here's a very amusing YouTube video about it, too: http://youtu.be/T9TmmF79Rw0

Isn't that painful?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
No worse than a mama cat's teeth I guess.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Try trimming them progressively while the cat is asleep. Do it a paw at a time.

This is how I do it with our one cat that hates getting trimmed. I can usually get a paw done before she opens her eyes & starts caring what I'm doing. Even then, she doesn't really freak out at all (I could probably get through a second paw in one session). It's a completely different story when my husband tries to do them while she's awake. There have been times we've asked the vet to do it while we were there for a check-up. I just think the easiest & least stressful is to do it when she's asleep & there's a paw or two easily accessible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

How do you brush a cat who flips out at that by stroke #3? Put them in a vice? Hold them in a full nelson while another person brushes? Put a hood on them? Tranquilize them?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
+1 for the 'bit at a time' method. One of my jerks really hates to have his paws messed with so when it's clip time I 1) wait for him to get good and settled in and then 2) do 2-3 toes before he gets grumpy and leaves. Then wait the 10 minutes it takes for him to forget why he was grumpy, come back, settle in again, etc.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
You can also try giving treats after every claw is clipped

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Araenna posted:

Isn't that painful?

No, I checked it by clipping the skin on my arm. The one I had was pretty weak, but it totally still worked. It didn't work on my other (larger) cat though so ymmv

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
My cat hates having her nails clipped. Mostly she just hates the clippers and tries to grab them and eat them. So I basically do a paw while she's passed out on my lap before she wakes up. It might take the course of a night to do all 4 paws but it seems to work fine.

As an aside, this particular cat recently had her adult fangs grow in. One kitten tooth has fallen out (and/or got ripped out on my sleeve) but the other is still there. It's been about 2 weeks. It doesn't seem to be irritating her but at what point do I need to get vet intervention to get it out?I don't want it to get infected. I think she's having a hard time getting it out because that tooth broke in half when she was chewing on something metal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well what did you think would happen when you pooped yourself in your crate?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Cat went in today for dental cleaning, turned out he had a few teeth hit with asorptive lesions or something, they pulled 4. He's been home for 5 hours now, and about 2 hours ago I gave him a pain med dose about about hour after that he started walking around meowling at the window and front door and hasn't stopped. Giving him a small amount of food, more pets, or anything doesn't seem to work.

Should i be worried or is this just normal post surgery stuff? He was fine for the previous 3 hours before pain meds when stumbling around.

edit: a game of laser mouse might have solved this problem time will tell

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 12, 2014

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CompactFanny posted:

No, I checked it by clipping the skin on my arm. The one I had was pretty weak, but it totally still worked. It didn't work on my other (larger) cat though so ymmv

I was just curious, I haven't handled a binder clip in forever.

As a related note, my cat Zeus was dragged out of hiding places by his foster mother so much before we got him, that grabbing his scruff sent him into bitey-claw-death mode.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

madpanda posted:

Cat went in today for dental cleaning, turned out he had a few teeth hit with asorptive lesions or something, they pulled 4. He's been home for 5 hours now, and about 2 hours ago I gave him a pain med dose about about hour after that he started walking around meowling at the window and front door and hasn't stopped. Giving him a small amount of food, more pets, or anything doesn't seem to work.

Should i be worried or is this just normal post surgery stuff? He was fine for the previous 3 hours before pain meds when stumbling around.

edit: a game of laser mouse might have solved this problem time will tell

Your cat is high and likely going, "Woah this poo poo is awesome, I will tell all my new colorful friends." Pain meds will do that.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
What are some cat foods I should avoid?

Is there a cheap place to order cat food online? I want to give my cat blue buffalo, but I can't find it anywhere. What are some other good options? She's one of those cats who loves the junk in dry foods so much that I can't get her to eat wet food, and she's gotten some belly fat. I want to transition her on to something healthier

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza Brother also won't eat wet food: before we had to put him on his prescription food, I fed him Wellness CORE dry food. The ingredients are just about as good as you can get in dry food (in my town at least) and he lost some weight with proper portioning, plus it made his coat super soft. For the record, neither Ozma nor Pizza like blue Buffalo, wet or dry. My mom's dog also hates it, eating it only if she has no other options, and she picks out all the "life source" bits and leaves them on the floor. Just can't stand them. The ingredients are good but I had no luck with it.

There's also a pet nutrition thread around here somewhere that could provide more info.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

D'artagnan has decided bowls are awesome.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Any tips on cleaning boogers from a cats nose? I tried a warm wet washcloth and he hates it and struggles the whole time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Does anyone have experience of cat harnesses? I've just moved into a house with a garden for the first time ever (yay herbs!); I've got an indoors cat, but he's definitely curious about the outside and I'm pondering taking him out to explore the garden occasionally.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

feedmegin posted:

Does anyone have experience of cat harnesses? I've just moved into a house with a garden for the first time ever (yay herbs!); I've got an indoors cat, but he's definitely curious about the outside and I'm pondering taking him out to explore the garden occasionally.

I got this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CG3VE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KAX8DO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work pretty well, he can struggle out of them if he tries super hard, but the only time that's happened he wanted to go under a fence that I was dumb enough to let him get close to. Hasn't happened since. Basically he just wanders around the yard sniffing and eating grass, with some occasional scampering to the extent that the lead will allow. I have to say it's worked out better than I would've thought, although it's less interesting than walking a dog because you end up spending a lot of time in one place.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Ok so my cat (15 yo) has recently decided that sleeping in the middle of the road out the front of my house is a superb idea. He's an outdoor cat and I can't keep him inside the fence without extensive remoddeling of the garden.

Cat harness or large cage?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

hiddenmovement posted:

Ok so my cat (15 yo) has recently decided that sleeping in the middle of the road out the front of my house is a superb idea. He's an outdoor cat and I can't keep him inside the fence without extensive remoddeling of the garden.

I'm not normally the first proponent of this, but make him an indoor cat if you can't stop him doing that. I question anyone's ability to keep a cat in a garden.

So yeah, harness.

Just be prepared for toilet problems if kitty doesn't want to go while supervised.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

hiddenmovement posted:

The night before I adopted my tuxedo kitten from a feral colony, I heard him meowing in panic from a neighbour's recessed porch and later saw him in the middle of the road. It was 1 AM and there was almost no traffic, but I've never been so frightened - I'd be paralyzed with fear in your shoes.

Happy ending, though... the next day I actually caught him by hand outside where his mother had relocated him. He was 8-10 weeks and totally weaned, and within 3 days he was perfectly comfortable as a house cat. He's in perfect health and I love him very much. I'm afraid that I don't have pictures at the moment.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Is there a cheap place to order cat food online? I want to give my cat blue buffalo, but I can't find it anywhere. What are some other good options? She's one of those cats who loves the junk in dry foods so much that I can't get her to eat wet food, and she's gotten some belly fat. I want to transition her on to something healthier

I'd love to buy cat food online, but everything I've seen is either a fortune in shipping or more expensive than the store.

What are you feeding her now? If her coat's good, she may just need to eat less of her food. The recommended serving sizes usually skew on the side of too much.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I was at a friends house last night and a cat showed up at the back door and was meowing. It stayed out there for a good number of hours but went away in the morning. No collar on it but it I would guess that it belongs to someone as it was clean and healthy looking and friendly and wasn't skinny or anything. Its showed up again tonight, they cant let it in the house as they have a puppy and the cat hissed at it when said puppy was in the garden. Whats the best course of action?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do they want it hanging around or to chase it off?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I love Petflow.com. They have basically all the premium brands and often have coupons for x% off or free shipping. You can even set it up to auto-ship at set intervals so you never run out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I love me some Petflow.com too.

Wet food is best for cats, but teaching a long term dry lover to love wet can be challenging. Sometimes you just have to try different wet foods and one may work. However, being on dry is not a totally bad thing, so if you need to use only dry, that is okay.

For good companies, I generally choose from this group:
- EVO: I love their 95% line.
- Taste of the Wild: Though sometimes they can have a lot of different protein sources depending on flavor (which can make food allergies fun), they are generally good.
- Wellness: Overall good stuff.

There are many other cat foods which are just as good or even better in certain areas. As there are dozens and dozens of choices, I usually just stick with three to recommend. Blue is fine food.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I buy Wellness Core dry on Amazon for like 35 bux + free shipping so that's pretty good.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I wish wellness or evo would produce prescription lines of food. I know his Rx is what is best for him but the ingredients aren't as great.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

I wish wellness or evo would produce prescription lines of food. I know his Rx is what is best for him but the ingredients aren't as great.

Of the two, I could've seen Natura go down the research and Rx line heavily. Since they were bought, I'm not so sure and they are probably going to sit in their niche.

I agree though - I would love it if a company came out with prescription food that passed the general consensus on ingredients if only to make it easier to convince people to use them. Sometimes the less-palatable ingredients are what makes things work, but there has got to be a happy medium.

Hill's is trying to get onboard the grain-free and premium bandwagon with their Ideal Balance line, but I'm not sure that putting Pork Plasma into the wet food was the best idea there :v:

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012
I'm building an outdoor cat house (for two silver British Shorthair cats) and have to decide on entrance size.
Entrance shape will be circular. I am considering 6inch diameter.

Since this is an outdoor house, it needs to provide protection.

Is there any recommended size or formula for cat measurements to calculate entrance size?

I know that if head fits through - cat fits through. Need to maintain equality between usability and protection.

Please, if you have built your own or own an outdoor house, share what is size of entrance your has. And state the shape if it isn't circular.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What are your plans on keeping other animals out?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My dad built a cat house for my childhood cats. It was pretty great, basically a box with two small compartments and one wider area inside - the front actually unlatched and hinged open into the wider room so we could put food/bedding in, and the two small compartments were separated by walls with small entrances (for them to snuggle into when cold - not directly connected to the outside so safe from cold breezes and less bothered if we swung open the door while they were in there).

The entrance to the house and the two little rooms were holes about the diameter of a DVD, maybe a little wider. We thought that would make it harder for other critters to get in...I say "thought" because one winter I swung the front hatch open to put their food in and found a big fat possum curled up in the big compartment! American possum, so ugly skull-faced toothy bastard. A nice heart attack for me - I think if we were to build such a thing again we'd make the hole a little smaller.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Dogen posted:

What are your plans on keeping other animals out?

None. Cat house will be in a private property which has occasional neighbour/stray cat passing through.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
Ok new kitten question.

I only picked her up a couple of hours ago.

She has a love of power cords and plugs in the wall. Does anyone have a cheap solution?

I have put her in the bathroom, which she is currently destroying because she doesn't want to be in there.

She has started to hiss at me for trying to control her which isn't great because she also will sleep with her head leaning against your hand.

I would love some ideas on what i should name her

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The blue bunny posted:

She has a love of power cords and plugs in the wall. Does anyone have a cheap solution?

I would love some ideas on what i should name her

Cordette.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

HelloSailorSign posted:

Hill's is trying to get onboard the grain-free and premium bandwagon with their Ideal Balance line, but I'm not sure that putting Pork Plasma into the wet food was the best idea there :v:

Any reason why pork plasma isn't good? This is a legitimate question. My first reaction is that it's mostly water with some protein.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

Do they want it hanging around or to chase it off?

Ideally it should go back to whoever owns it because its not their cat and you can hear it meowing outside and the dog is scared of it.

They're posting in neighborhood news things to see if anyone knows whos it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
My wife and I adopted a second cat about 4 months ago. Our first cat (Keiko) is just over 5 and the new one is right at a year old. The new cat (Luna) is totally white and deaf. I've discovered that a deaf cat really isn't that big of a deal, and she's a really nice kitty.

We followed the recommendations in this thread for introducing the cats, and kept them separated for about two weeks while Luna got acclimated and recovered from being spayed. They've been living together without major incident for about 3 months now, and although things aren't horrible, I'm hoping for continued improvement.

Luna just can't resist stalking Keiko. Although I get the distinct impression that Luna is playing, I'm also pretty sure that Keiko isn't loving around. Most of the time they ignore each other, but at least 3-5 times a day, we hear Keiko hissing at Luna because she pounced. They also regularly sit on our railing and get into slapfights, which I think look hilarious. There haven't been any serious injuries, but Keiko has had a few small scratches on her nose (that have since healed up, I think she's getting better at dodging) and I do see small tufts of fur fly out sometimes when they're fighting.

So I guess I'm interested in PI's thoughts on whether I can expect this moderately frequent fighting to eventually die down. I get the feeling that a good chunk of it comes from Luna being a hyper kitten and their relationship will improve when she loses some of her kitten energy. Is that a reasonable thing to assume? I've read that kittens can just be plain annoying to older cats, and perhaps that's what is happening here.

Is there anything else I should do to try and keep them from getting into scuffles? Thanks!

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 14, 2014