Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Organs posted:

Is Nintendo actually holding a conference this year? Their decision to skip doing so last year was really stupid, I think.

I don't think they've said for sure but I'm assuming they'll just do a Nintendo Direct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

OatmealRaisin posted:

I don't think they've said for sure but I'm assuming they'll just do a Nintendo Direct

I literally had no idea what a Nintendo Direct was or that they even existed until I began reading this thread. I expect millions of gamers are in the same position as me. I think I'd heard the name before but assumed it was short for a conference call to stockholders or something.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 13, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Weren't these the people that bullied a fifteen year old kid to giving up his first place prize at Evo because the entire community failed to know how to fight against ROB? They were upset and felt the game was cheap and not fair because the tournament was played with items on instead of off. Supposedly ROB stinks but is incredible when items are involved. Yet if you watch the videos the kid clearly is an expert at the game and earned it. The Pro Smash Community treated this fifteen year old kid like poo poo because he completely mastered the game and owned them all.

Hahaha, WHAT? I knew the competitive Smash scene was a loving gutter but I didn't realize it was this bad. Man, that's sad.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

gay skull posted:

Hahaha, WHAT? I knew the competitive Smash scene was a loving gutter but I didn't realize it was this bad. Man, that's sad.

FYI, those people do not represent the entire Smash community.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TaurusOxford posted:

FYI, those people do not represent the entire Smash community.

Maybe not, but I sure as gently caress don't remember anybody every doing that with any other game at Evo, ever.

Basically I'm saying competitive Smash players should be shot into the sun.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Crackbone posted:

Maybe not, but I sure as gently caress don't remember anybody every doing that with any other game at Evo, ever.

Basically I'm saying competitive Smash players should be shot into the sun.

Well it's not like the FGC is scumbag-free, but this isn't the topic for that discussion.

Organs posted:

Is Nintendo actually holding a conference this year? Their decision to skip doing so last year was really stupid, I think.

I'd rather they stay off the E3 stage, if only so Reggie can't start up any more stupid memes.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

TaurusOxford posted:

I'd rather they stay off the E3 stage, if only so Reggie can't start up any more stupid memes.
Those memes are what ultimately enables stuff like that Tomodachi Life trailer to come about so in the end, it's worth it :colbert:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TaurusOxford posted:

Yep, people just need to play the games - no expensive stage presentations necessary.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Yep, people just need to play the games - no expensive stage presentations necessary.

There are literally no other alternatives to spreading awareness of the games than industry conventions.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

StevenM posted:

There are literally no other alternatives to spreading awareness of the games than industry conventions.

Starting this winter, Iwata will be flying to America and personally visiting every American household carrying a Wii U, a demo of the new Smash Bros, and a copy of Nintendogs: Benny.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StevenM posted:

And if there are, Nintendo doesn't know of any.

midwat
May 6, 2007

StevenM posted:

Well, I suppose they could put all their news in online videos that only the people who already buy their products would see.

But that would be pretty stupid if they were looking to do things like "sell their console."

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Ramadu posted:

I literally had no idea what a Nintendo Direct was or that they even existed until I began reading this thread. I expect millions of gamers are in the same position as me. I think I'd heard the name before but assumed it was short for a conference call to stockholders or something.

There are people who swear up and down that the Directs are just as good as an actual stageshow because "all the gaming websites report on it anyway."

Totally missing that the stage shows get reported on by actual outlets read by people outside of our horrible insular "community." I mean if Nintendo's actually growing a shred of self-awareness and is sizing itself down to the niche it's falling into I can totally respect that. Probably shouldn't be producing consoles if they're going for a niche though :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also it buys into the logic that "Nintendo fans" is this evergreen concept, and that they're constantly refreshing IGN waiting for a reason to buy a Wii U instead of just going about their life. The Smash Bros Nintendo Direct did not even hit a million views. Which is the biggest game on their calendar.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
To be fair, the Direct videos also go up on Nintendo's Youtube channel. It's pretty much an equal amount of effort for the average person to watch those as it is to see any E3 presentation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gamers know when E3 is, it's every June. Who the gently caress knows when Directs are most of the year? They often are announced the day before they happen, and air at weird times. Sometimes 8 am, sometimes 6 pm, sometimes 11 am. On a thursday, or on a tuesday, or on a friday. There's no pattern. It's not the same effort involved as finding an E3 broadcast, because knowing when a Direct happens involves being actively involved in a community like this, or constantly refreshing their Twitter feed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A good poster posted:

To be fair, the Direct videos also go up on Nintendo's Youtube channel. It's pretty much an equal amount of effort for the average person to watch those as it is to see any E3 presentation.

Nobody's doing that and nobody's going to do that because nobody's saying "Oh, there might be a Nintendo Direct I can watch if I search for it!"

The only people paying attention the drat things are lifelong Nintendo fans and a subset of them at that.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 14, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the only people who pay attention to E3 conferences are

A) a small subsection of gamers

and

B) Gaming "journalism"

and the only people paying attention to Subset B are a subset of A.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

greatn posted:

and

B) Gaming "journalism"

Hmmm wanna guess which number's higher, the subset of gamers who watch EA-related media or the subset of Nintendo fans who watch Directs?

Directs being a failure is not really something you can argue about at this point.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2014

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm pretty sure they skipped doing a big E3 presentation last year because they literally didn't have enough content to fill one. This year, their line-up looks even worse. I think there are two possibilities:

They've actually been stock-piling announcements so they can have a huge E3 blowout and hopefully catch people's attention now that the PS4 and Xbox One have shambled onto the scene with their own slightly lackluster lineups

or

They really REALLY have nothing to show and will be forced to do another Nintendo Direct to save face.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

greatn posted:

and

B) Gaming "journalism"

Actually E3 is the one time of year anything gaming related has a hope of getting printed in mainstream press. You'd think with Nintendo's publicity problems foregoing that chance would be the last thing they'd do to save a few bucks.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

and

B) Gaming "journalism"

E3 regularly gets coverage from mainstream media and things like the Xbox One's always-online clusterfuck wind up big enough stories that even non-gamers are aware of them. That's kind of one of the main functions of E3 and trade shows in general.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo should definitely be doing more than the Nintendo Directs, especially for E3. Usually I don't notice non gaming news sites pick up E3 stuff unless it's a hardware or accessories announcement (Kinect, Move, etc.), but this year should have no hardware announcements that I can think of which might put a spotlight on the games. Last year they didn't announce anything revolutionary, and they were up against two huge console announcements. I think

I find the Nintendo Directs easier to sit through than the video coverage of most gaming sites. I don't know about you guys, but I'm tied of clicking on what I think is a news story, then seeing an ad, followed by a person talking on camera about something that could be conveyed in text with a few seconds of game footage as b-roll. I know the directs only appeal to those who are plugged in to what Nintendo is doing, but the directs are a great way to present a ton of information. It's in the same way that I'll watch an hour long Apple keynote for the experience of seeing it live and commenting along with others online.

It's a great idea that would only be more effective if they actually had more poo poo to announce.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StevenM posted:

Completely separate of the question whether Nintendo could be doing a better job at presenting their Directs to a wider audience and whether they need stage presentations: I was trying to make a funny, referencing Reggie yelling "Play The Games!" at gaming journalists in their demo booth at the last E3.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd rather just have a new trailer to watch, than read the impressions of a bunch of gaming journalists playing through the tutorial area. Having actual demos to download during E3 would be great, though.

We pretty much know how these games are going to play. X is like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2 is like Bayonetta, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is like Country Returns, etc. At least with a presentation they can show the differences, although in Directs they explain things like you've never seen a video game before.

I'm interested in those first two games, but without digging around for information, all I know about them that's are that X has mechs and Bayonetta has a devil trigger now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Another data point for 'I had never heard of a Nintendo Direct until I started reading the Wii U threads out of curiosity' here. Meanwhile everyone even mildly involved in gaming has heard of E3.

Spectacle sells, even at second- or third-hand.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tied of clicking on what I think is a news story, then seeing an ad, followed by a person talking on camera about something that could be conveyed in text with a few seconds of game footage as b-roll. I know the directs only appeal to those who are plugged in to what Nintendo is doing, but the directs are a great way to present a ton of information. It's in the same way that I'll watch an hour long Apple keynote for the experience of seeing it live and commenting along with others online.

Most E3 presentations are exactly the same kind of drivel that passes for an Apple event so you could watch the actual event if you like that overlong and overhyped nonsense?

Listening to Iwata struggle through 30-40 minutes of English when that same information would be far better presented as text and a sprinkling of footage is exactly why I have no interest in Directs.

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 14, 2014

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I quite like Nintendo Directs and I'm certainly a generally interested and informed consumer when it comes to game stuff but even then, I only heard about them once I got my 3DS a month or so ago.

I missed the last one until it was reposted in the 3DS threads. They really need to get the word out better and, like it or not, E3 time is still when everything generally gets the most attention. Hell, even do it just after or before GDC or something but this marketing strategy sucks.

edit: I'm on the Nintendo mailing list and get nothing about Directs through on that. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you I think. I really like what Nintendo puts out (on the handhelds anyway, I haven't owned a full console of theirs since the N64) but man does so much about what they do suck. Communication and firmware/account stuff mostly.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 14, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Astro7x posted:

Nintendo should definitely be doing more than the Nintendo Directs, especially for E3. Usually I don't notice non gaming news sites pick up E3 stuff unless it's a hardware or accessories announcement (Kinect, Move, etc.), but this year should have no hardware announcements that I can think of which might put a spotlight on the games. Last year they didn't announce anything revolutionary, and they were up against two huge console announcements. I think

All major media outlets reported on it last year despite no XB1/PS4 announcements, including NPR, CNN, etc. News spreads fast with E3 announcements regardless of what's announced, and Nintendo probably hopes that their Directs have the same impact or at least add some sort of transparency to what they're doing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They should have an E3 keynote AND they should have a Direct. The dumb thing is that, THEY WERE DOING THAT, as of just a couple of years ago. They would have their E3 keynote and then they'd immediately go into a live stream on Nintendo's website that functionally was identical to Nintendo Direct, with more in-depth looks into the announced games and Iwata Asks.

I really, really don't get why they don't do it that way anymore. Doing it that way, you can have all of your biggest announcements on the stage and show floor, and save things like Virtual Console news and "here's every Kickstarter project that claims to be coming to the eShop that'll never actually be finished" for the post-keynote Direct. Then both have something to entice people to watch, but it's not critical if people skip or are unaware of the Direct. But while the keynote might only show a couple of minutes of footage for each game, teasers, etc, the post-keynote Direct could show a lot more, maybe show off the entire E3 demo build of each game, etc.

It's funny because Nintendo I think was on the exact opposite side of this at the initial 3DS announcement, where they had a bunch of models with 3DS harnesses strapped to them walk around for nerds in the auditorium to get a chubby while playing the prototypes. That was like peak E3 right there. Now they're not contributing any memorable "what the gently caress" moments anymore which is the biggest E3 crime imaginable. You think I'll be satisfied just by watching Sony have a guy wig out on stage tuck rolling around in a VR helmet to a pre-recorded video? I need more!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 14, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Well, tbh, I think the reason Nintendo doesn't take the big stage anymore is that they know they can't compete with "assholes wearing VR helmets tripping and falling off the podium," which is what the theme of this E3 is going to be. For once, Nintendo is being outgimmicked.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo still has their lunacy which accompanies E3 events.

Instead of getting stuff like this

We get everyone in cat ears

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seems like they could at the very least get 40 minutes of stage time, have Iwata and Reggie come out and introduce the video, then just play the Direct. No off-script screw-ups, no second script/production needed, less bitching about Nintendo+E3 from N superfans.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Well, tbh, I think the reason Nintendo doesn't take the big stage anymore is that they know they can't compete with "assholes wearing VR helmets tripping and falling off the podium," which is what the theme of this E3 is going to be. For once, Nintendo is being outgimmicked.

If I'm remembering right, the lead-up to the PS4 was basically that it doesn't have a gimmick. The Gimmick Of No Gimmick.

Nintendo could try doing that, if they had any games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spiffo posted:

If I'm remembering right, the lead-up to the PS4 was basically that it doesn't have a gimmick. The Gimmick Of No Gimmick.

Nintendo could try doing that, if they had any games.

The gimmick of no games?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Added to the OP.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Has everyone suddenly forgotten how terrible so many of the E3 presentations are to the point that people on the internet said that Ubisoft "won" E3 not too long ago? E3 is a hit-or-miss most of the time that more likely than not will disappoint people. Nintendo Direct does the same stuff and by now most videogame websites will just lump it in with the other E3 stuff. There are frequent enough Directs now that the complaints about "no E3 presentations" should be moot. Last year's presentation wasn't too bad, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13D1I5s236o

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

The gimmick of no games?
They need to market it like Dark Souls.

Have the player know that the Wii-U's gimmick is a slow crawl to death.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Has everyone suddenly forgotten how terrible so many of the E3 presentations are to the point that people on the internet said that Ubisoft "won" E3 not too long ago? E3 is a hit-or-miss most of the time that more likely than not will disappoint people. Nintendo Direct does the same stuff and by now most videogame websites will just lump it in with the other E3 stuff. There are frequent enough Directs now that the complaints about "no E3 presentations" should be moot. Last year's presentation wasn't too bad, actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13D1I5s236o

Yet the Playstation 4 one was amazing and it got everyone excited for the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Good or terrible, E3 is seen and reported on by the mainstream, Nintendo Directs are not.

• Locked thread