Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.
I know you've said you're going to rework the notifications in disco zoo but I thought I'd pipe up and say that I'm getting animal sleep notifications while they are all in a disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

As for Disco Zoo, it bugs me a little that the cost to go rescue goes up every attempt, regardless of whether there's one animal to rescue or three. It feels very uneven. And I went on an Australian safari once that had three animals, and there wasn't enough turns to capture all three even if I hit every square perfectly. There's very little strategy involved in rescuing animals. As long as you're tapping spaces that have the highest probability to fit the pattern involved. (Example: A kangaroo's position can be found tapping three squares, as there's only four possible places on a starting board for it to appear, and two overlap)
I feel that it would work better if you had a certain number of misses rather than a certain number of guesses overall.

I also probably would have made it so that the cost is based on the number of animals that you caught/freed from that area, rather than the number of attempts you've had so far. Again, it balances it against bad runs.

The current system obliges me to watch those stupid videos every day because otherwise I'm permanently losing animals that I would have caught and the cost increases regardless. I realise that this might be the point but I hate it, it stinks of money grabbing and there is no alternative way for me to achieve that. I have no issue with adverts in games but there should always be an alternative. Right now this game is skirting the edge of the scummy freemium model and that's a shame because it's actually a fun timewaster that holds up well without spending any real money.

Again, I have money and want to give it to the devs, but I refuse to buy non-permanent IAP. Things I would buy without hesitation: A coin doubler, something to increase the size/rate of tips, an extra 1/2 search attempts, etc. Hell, I would rather pay for a new colour of disco lights than buy an expendable amount of some magical pretend currency.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 14, 2014

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Tunga posted:

The current system obliges me to watch those stupid videos every day because otherwise I'm permanently losing animals that I would have caught and the cost increases regardless. I realise that this might be the point but I hate it, it stinks of money grabbing and there is no alternative way for me to achieve that. I have no issue with adverts in games but there should always be an alternative. Right now this game is skirting the edge of the scummy freemium model and that's a shame because it's actually a fun timewaster that holds up well without spending any real money.

Of course this is the point, which is why I uninstalled it pretty quickly.

I have that stupid mushroom farm game to fill my barely-interactive play-throughout-the-day game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zo posted:

Of course this is the point, which is why I uninstalled it pretty quickly.

I have that stupid mushroom farm game to fill my barely-interactive play-throughout-the-day game.

I think that's a little harsh, as long as you don't :sperg: out about unlocking ALL THE AREAS and getting ALL THE ANIMALS in like 3 days, you get tons of money every few hours to do expeditions and slowly build your barely-interactive toy.

Basically I'm treating it like a Tamagotchi. Speaking of which, are there any good Tamagotchis on the Play Store? I remember one a while ago that was pretty bad.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Basically I'm treating it like a Tamagotchi. Speaking of which, are there any good Tamagotchis on the Play Store? I remember one a while ago that was pretty bad.

There's the official one that's Pretty Good.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Tunga posted:

I feel that it would work better if you had a certain number of misses rather than a certain number of guesses overall.

I also probably would have made it so that the cost is based on the number of animals that you caught/freed from that area, rather than the number of attempts you've had so far. Again, it balances it against bad runs.

Again, I have money and want to give it to the devs, but I refuse to buy non-permanent IAP. Things I would buy without hesitation: A coin doubler, something to increase the size/rate of tips, an extra 1/2 search attempts, etc. Hell, I would rather pay for a new colour of disco lights than buy an expendable amount of some magical pretend currency.

The zoopedia is a permanent IAP, so I bought that.

I really don't find it that cost prohibitive. I'm more often getting 2+ animals than less, and I mean, the whole point of getting money in this game is for more animals, and allowing you to get animals too quickly for too little cost drastically shortens the lifespan of the game.

For example, in Pocket Trains, I very quickly ran out of things to do because getting money was a bit too easy. I essentially "beat" the game within a month without buying IAP, and for a check-it-once-in-a-while game that's pretty bad.

I checked my zoo 5 or 6 times today, and each time I had enough gold to buy whatever the next tier of helicopter was and had enough for 3 ish rescues, but opted to max out the previous tiers first. Three days after installing the game I've maxed out all the animals in the farm area (but haven't got all the statues.)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, the increasing cost for rescues isn't much of a downer for me. In the first four areas the only animal that I'm not guaranteed to find is the sasquatch, all the rest can be located easily if you know the pattern and how it can fit on the board. When three animals are in play and they'd take more than ten moves to uncover all of them I usually just pick the two I want and go for them. Also, common animals are that numerous there's no real point wasting a discobux to uncover one when you can just do another attempt in a few minutes. As long as you get at least one animal it's good.

That said I'm probably not the best person to give advice considering I still haven't unlocked the ice area. I'm trying to max out the animals for every area before I unlock a new one...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ephphatha posted:

That said I'm probably not the best person to give advice considering I still haven't unlocked the ice area. I'm trying to max out the animals for every area before I unlock a new one...

Haha yeah me too, I gotta get them statues before moving on!

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I tried Disco Zoo after seeing everyone in this thread talk about it, and it appears to be a scratch-off lotto simulator. People occasionally decry the sorry state of mobile gaming in here, saying that the games are often no more than simple skinner boxes designed to get people to lay down cash for timer removals, and I don't see how this game goes against any of that. Admittedly I only played a few minutes of it because it seemed like the kind of hands-off battery waster I can't stand so if anyone tells me it actually becomes a game at some point I might be willing to give it another chance, but otherwise I feel fine having deleted it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You get more animals to get more coins to get more animals etc etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ovaries posted:

I tried Disco Zoo after seeing everyone in this thread talk about it, and it appears to be a scratch-off lotto simulator. People occasionally decry the sorry state of mobile gaming in here, saying that the games are often no more than simple skinner boxes designed to get people to lay down cash for timer removals, and I don't see how this game goes against any of that. Admittedly I only played a few minutes of it because it seemed like the kind of hands-off battery waster I can't stand so if anyone tells me it actually becomes a game at some point I might be willing to give it another chance, but otherwise I feel fine having deleted it.

It's cute and paying money for any of the IAP is only for really stupid people with no patience (sorry Nimble guys, but it's true!)

I mean it's not a battery waster because you can "play" it by just opening the app once every 6 hours or once a day (admittedly more when you're first starting). It's a cute little app, not really a game, and thus isn't really aggressively pushing IAP like all the big name freemium card games/base defense/whatevers.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So a lot of people kept saying "Hey when is Age of Empires coming out for Android". Uhhh well I hope you enjoy this thing that has the Age of Empires name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2PEXEO2ga0

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 14, 2014

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

ovaries posted:

Half of it has to do with the developer being a member here who holds dialogue about the game in this thread.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

ovaries posted:

Our games are super casual and not even considered "games" by many "gamers". They do seem to be quite popular with smartphone owners and even with a large number of goons though. We certainly don't sell our "games" as anything more than they are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

eeenmachine posted:

Our games are super casual and not even considered "games" by many "gamers". They do seem to be quite popular with smartphone owners and even with a large number of goons though. We certainly don't sell our "games" as anything more than they are.

Except Nimble Quest! That was a legitimately great game, please tell me there's a sequel coming. :ohdear:

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

precision posted:

Except Nimble Quest! That was a legitimately great game, please tell me there's a sequel coming. :ohdear:

Nimble Quest taught us that our audience doesn't want real-time skill based games :( It is one of our worst performers to date (for reasons that I'm sure don't solely include the game genre).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

eeenmachine posted:

Nimble Quest taught us that our audience doesn't want real-time skill based games :( It is one of our worst performers to date (for reasons that I'm sure don't solely include the game genre).

I think that's the only one I've played for more than 15-30 minutes. I just don't enjoy non-games but it seems like that's where the money is in mobile games.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Did you guys do better on PC? That seems like a different market from 'casual mobile time waster'.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Skeezy posted:

So a lot of people kept saying "Hey when is Age of Empires coming out for Android". Uhhh well I hope you enjoy this thing that has the Age of Empires name:

Is this like the one where you have to buy each civ on their own?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Xtanstic posted:

Did you guys do better on PC? That seems like a different market from 'casual mobile time waster'.

Nope, Steam sales were pretty tiny. Steam gamers look down on mobile games more than most.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That really sucks, I played Nimble Quest many hours more than most games I've ever installed on my phone. It really hit that sweet spot of "skill" and "COLLECT GEMS".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Skeezy posted:

Wow, the King of Celts Arthur in his full plate armour, horned Viking helmets, wonderbra armour for Joan of Arc... I see they've got a great team of historians on board this time around.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

eeenmachine posted:

That's a shame. I really enjoyed the game and even spent some money on IAP which is a rare thing for me.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Based on the art and style of that Age of Empires game, I assume they just farmed it out to some generic Asian developer.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
I was under the impression that devs pushed out "games" like Tiny Tower precisely so they could afford to give us games like Nimble Quest 2.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Schizoguy posted:

I was under the impression that devs pushed out "games" like Tiny Tower precisely so they could afford to give us games like Nimble Quest 2.

Why?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Could be decent as long as they just sell the complete game instead of the usual nickel-and-dime f2p extortion. I was skeptical about the Nintendo DS Age of Empires too, but that turned out alright.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

It's a common entertainment industry practice. Make one (or more) for the money to let you do the thing you're passionate about, even if it's not as successful financially as your mainstream ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I think they were referring to how things work in the AAA console/PC world, where big hits are used to subsidize "passion projects".

I guess it's not like that with phone game companies.

edit: Was Nimble Quest a "loss"? I mean, did you guys literally lose money on it?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

DemonMage posted:

It's a common entertainment industry practice. Make one (or more) for the money to let you do the thing you're passionate about, even if it's not as successful financially as your mainstream ones.

Sadly I'm more passionate about making millions more dollars than making one type of mobile game over another.

Our mobile success is going to allow us to play around with VR in the near future though!

Nimble Quest was definitely profitable. Just about 10x less than a game like Tiny Tower.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

Could be decent as long as they just sell the complete game instead of the usual nickel-and-dime f2p extortion.

They won't. Chances are it'll have 3 currencies and an energy bar.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Someone was mad about costs constantly going up in Disco Zoo, but there's a cap. I don't know if it's different for each environment, but it maxes out at 2000 per run in the farmland.

Also, with regards to skinner boxes and lottery games - yup. I like numbers-go-up games, especially on mobile. I'm not looking for a big experience, I'm looking for something that I can spend a minute of my time on. I like NimbleBit games a lot especially because they have an end. I can waste minute after minute, and then go "Ah, I have maxed all the numbers, I am done this," then delete it.

If I want a deep mobile experience, I take out my 3DS.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

eeenmachine posted:

Nope, Steam sales were pretty tiny. Steam gamers look down on mobile games more than most.
Same thing with all those bar arcade multi-game boxes have been quietly vanishing, but Video Poker machines are still there, with the same sad drunks playing them.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

ovaries posted:

I tried Disco Zoo after seeing everyone in this thread talk about it, and it appears to be a scratch-off lotto simulator.

I've gotta disagree with this. Scratch and win tickets have no skill requirements because they're not guaranteed to have a winning state and you can uncover the entire "playing" area. Disco Zoo's mechanic is more like a small scale game of Battleships because you're limited in how many squares you can uncover, and the pieces have to completely fit on the board. It actually involves player skill to ensure you're uncovering squares based on your knowledge of the possible board states.

Also eenmachine, I've still not gotten any free continues after the first lot when I started the game. The free discobux are numerous enough that I don't really need it but I figure I should add myself to the list of people who don't seem to be getting tracked properly by your adserver.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Ephphatha posted:

I've gotta disagree with this. Scratch and win tickets have no skill requirements because they're not guaranteed to have a winning state and you can uncover the entire "playing" area. Disco Zoo's mechanic is more like a small scale game of Battleships because you're limited in how many squares you can uncover, and the pieces have to completely fit on the board. It actually involves player skill to ensure you're uncovering squares based on your knowledge of the possible board states.

Also eenmachine, I've still not gotten any free continues after the first lot when I started the game. The free discobux are numerous enough that I don't really need it but I figure I should add myself to the list of people who don't seem to be getting tracked properly by your adserver.

I agree with this, I tried it out and instantly thought to myself "neato, a mini-battleship game in my pocket." I threw $3 for the zoopedia IAP and it's a ton of fun. The zoopedia IAP isn't strictly necessary, but for people like me that have horrible memories it makes the game about a million times more strategic. Before shelling out for it I would just kind of randomly tap until I found an animal and think to myself "well, 4 squares, that means 4 horizontal, right?!" 90% failure rate.

eenmachine (and the other nimblebit guys) you make fun casual games that I enjoy playing a lot. I always buy your IAP stuff, and get a good solid month or two's entertainment out of things. Keep up the good work!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like there could be a market for an Android game search engine based solely on exclusion. For instance, "not Timer Removal Game" and "not Bejeweled Clone".

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

USMC_Karl posted:

I agree with this, I tried it out and instantly thought to myself "neato, a mini-battleship game in my pocket." I threw $3 for the zoopedia IAP and it's a ton of fun. The zoopedia IAP isn't strictly necessary, but for people like me that have horrible memories it makes the game about a million times more strategic. Before shelling out for it I would just kind of randomly tap until I found an animal and think to myself "well, 4 squares, that means 4 horizontal, right?!" 90% failure rate.

eenmachine (and the other nimblebit guys) you make fun casual games that I enjoy playing a lot. I always buy your IAP stuff, and get a good solid month or two's entertainment out of things. Keep up the good work!

I too have trouble with grade school level pattern recognition.

I downloaded this because everyone was talking it up and it's not even a game??? How do people get sucked into these brain-dead apps designed to suck money out of you???

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The real game is Funky Bus. 244 is my new high score.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

This funky bus, does it flap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I like Flippy bard, because it has multiplayer.

• Locked thread