Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mindblast posted:

Watched episodes, never watched/read JoJo before. The amount of stuff made in 25 years sure is a lot! Dunno if I should go with the comics or just watch the anime. I recall people saying the comic got really spotty translations in parts.

Part 5 is pretty much the only part of the series with a spotty translation anymore. Part 4 had a pretty infamously bad translation until recently now that a new group has almost finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

That said by this point the spotty translations is how most of everyone who doesn't read Japanese knows the series so it's part of the experience. :getin:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mindblast posted:

Watched episodes, never watched/read JoJo before. The amount of stuff made in 25 years sure is a lot! Dunno if I should go with the comics or just watch the anime. I recall people saying the comic got really spotty translations in parts.

The current anime, which is all on Crunchyroll, is very faithful to the manga, so you won't be missing anything. And the voice acting is top notch, with a lot of the actors adding to the characters and the bombastic melodrama that is JoJo.

What I did is watch the show, then skipped to Steel Ball Run, Part 7 of JoJo. It is its own contained story so there's no spoilers, but a lot of callouts to part 1 and 2. I am thoroughly happy with that, it's a great ride and one of the most fun things I've ever watched/read.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not seeing the problem here. :v:

Definitely wasn't suggesting it was a problem! Just didn't expect it before I opened the video.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tobaccrow posted:

I don't know about that, but here's young Joseph singing One Jump Ahead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MN5dc4O0E

That whole sequence is pretty Young Joseph. Full of just taunting the poo poo out of his pursuers.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shugojin posted:

That whole sequence is pretty Young Joseph. Full of just taunting the poo poo out of his pursuers.

Sugita in general is basically Joseph in real life

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

pandaK posted:

Sugita in general is basically Joseph in real life

He gave Josuke's VA in ASB a shirt with Josuke on it because he had an extra one. Sounds like something Joseph would do.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 14, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mindblast posted:

I would finish the current season and start the comics where it leaves off. Don't sweat the bad translation; they're a JoJo fan's rite of passage.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thanks all, good pointers. Lots of material to go through. :)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Part 1 used very classic metal.

Part 2 used very new wave.

Part 3 is using hard rock.

Part 4 will likely bring in hip-hop influence. We're also likely to see some of that later in part 3.

Part 5 is also likely to be very electronic. So I'm looking forward to it eventually for that. :allears:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well, it didn't take long for someone to do a spiffy chiptune cover of Stand Proud.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Part 1 used very classic metal.

Part 2 used very new wave.

Part 3 is using hard rock.

Part 4 will likely bring in hip-hop influence. We're also likely to see some of that later in part 3.

Part 5 is also likely to be very electronic. So I'm looking forward to it eventually for that. :allears:

Ok, what? You lost me.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

So each BD/DVD is going to have 4 episodes, which is actually pretty weird and a really good indicator the show is longer than 2-cour. In fact that's the sort of thing you'd expect from a 50 episode show. Going to go with the middle ground and still expect 3-cour.

aers fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 18, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
YES! OH MY GOD!

Looking forward to this show going on awhile. Also: looking forward to episode three in like two hours.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
aers, you might want to rehost, I got a malware warning from this page and I think it comes from your picture.

VVVV: Thanks.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 18, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

One day Avast will stop being awful but today is not that day. Fixed.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://jojo-animation.com/contents/bd_dvd/index.html

Welp nevermind its 6 volumes so 24 episodes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

aers posted:

http://jojo-animation.com/contents/bd_dvd/index.html

Welp nevermind its 6 volumes so 24 episodes.

Hopefully that's just for the first part of the story, and there is another season of Stardust Crusaders.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 18, 2014

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Guys, I just noted this on the Jojo Animation page:

http://jojo-animation.com/contents/cd/ed.html

I can't believe they're going to use that as an ED. I must be reading this wrong. If it is gonna be the ED, its at least era appropriate but...oh god that is wonderfully lame.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Ahahaha that ED theme.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

JDRockefeller posted:

I can't believe they're going to use that as an ED. I must be reading this wrong. If it is gonna be the ED, its at least era appropriate but...oh god that is wonderfully lame.

Oh my god my 7 year old self is screaming in delight right now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This is the best.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
It's so obvious but nobody expected it. Which really fits quite well.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

JDRockefeller posted:

It is 100% the ED.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
ED Update: It's loving perfect.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JDRockefeller posted:

This is PERFECT, oh my god, I didn't think anything could be better than Roundabout, but drat.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
One of the things I really like about Jojo is how different each part feels, I'm glad this is keeping with how the anime is being handled.

Having op/ed that were just trying to be like the last season but more better-er is a recipe for eventual failure.

They sure are taking their time with things, aren't they?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkanHSvFq3Q

Here is the ED.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And here I was hoping on Manic Monday.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

I laughed like an idiot at this, this is better than I could have ever imagined. :allears:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 18, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Having that be the ending seems like the most Araki choice ever, I love it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh  my  god this is too perfect. And here I thought they could never top Roundabout.

I like the foreshadowing, it even alludes to some stuff that's not even in part 3!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Time to pack it up guys, show of the year 2014.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They used the first three episodes the best way they could and I am so excited for poo poo I know is about to happen. OH MY GOD I am so happy we have a year of this to come.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They did it. Anime is over. Pack it up people.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy loving poo poo.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Good episode but lol at those camera scrolling shots. The characters looked like sprites out of a Doom engine game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jonjonaug posted:

Good episode but lol at those camera scrolling shots. The characters looked like sprites out of a Doom engine game.

If it wasn't the scrolling whenever they were all gathered by Kakyoin, it was Avdol's lovely walking animation that got me.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I thought I'd be madder at no Roundabout or Dio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy gently caress, Walk Like An Egyptian, anime of the century.

• Locked thread