Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is an alternative to MSPaint in the Linux world, I googled it and every time it's "oh just use GIMP!" I don't want a massive loving photoshop suite to just crop or drop a colored box over stuff.

Every time, GIMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

YouTuber posted:

What is an alternative to MSPaint in the Linux world, I googled it and every time it's "oh just use GIMP!" I don't want a massive loving photoshop suite to just crop or drop a colored box over stuff.

Every time, GIMP.

I'm also curious about this as well, I basically just want Paint.NET but for Linux.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Try gnome-paint: https://launchpad.net/gnome-paint

I usually end up using gimp though. Even though it's big, it can do pretty much anything.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Krita, although it needs KDE poo poo. GNU Paint for Gnome and Tux Paint also, but those look like poo poo.

:barf:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Here is a list. I've only ever used the cli based ImageMagick for batch jobs or GIMP for individual stuff.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

mod sassinator posted:

I usually end up using gimp though. Even though it's big, it can do pretty much anything.

:catstare: that "screenshot".

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mod sassinator posted:

Hmm no good, it seg faults every time I try using the square block so I can censor out something.

Strange how the program with less features is the most troublesome to find when it comes to image manipulation.

peepsalot posted:

:catstare: that "screenshot".

The Tuxpaint one is almost just as bad, but that is for kids who are learning motor skills.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

scroogle nmaps posted:

Krita, although it needs KDE poo poo. GNU Paint for Gnome and Tux Paint also, but those look like poo poo.

:barf:

Good lord that is ugly, totally reminded me of Kid Pix

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Here's a clone of Paint.NET for Linux: http://pinta-project.com/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

babies havin rabies posted:

Here's a clone of Paint.NET for Linux: http://pinta-project.com/

Perfect! I'm really liking this so far, thanks for the link!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

YouTuber posted:

The Tuxpaint one is almost just as bad, but that is for kids who are learning motor skills.

Someone clearly didn't go to the link and click "screenshot"

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I've used mtpaint and it's not bad

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I seem to have Kolourpaint installed on my Fedora KDE system. Looks pretty much like what you are looking for, assuming you are running KDE of course.

http://www.kde.org/applications/graphics/kolourpaint/

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
How can I temporarily prevent my monitors from entering power saving mode? I run moc (cli music player) and set the output device to a TV over HDMI. This is in my bash.rc which I use when I want to play music on the TV.

Bash code:
function mtv() {
    mocp --music-dir $(pwd) --theme black_theme --set-option ALSADevice=tv
}
Ideally I'd like something I can just run with that command that will temporarily prevent screen sleep. I don't want to make permanent changes since this is literally the only situation I don't want the monitors to enter power saving mode.

Is this possible?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Xik posted:

How can I temporarily prevent my monitors from entering power saving mode? I run moc (cli music player) and set the output device to a TV over HDMI. This is in my bash.rc which I use when I want to play music on the TV.

Bash code:
function mtv() {
}
Ideally I'd like something I can just run with that command that will temporarily prevent screen sleep. I don't want to make permanent changes since this is literally the only situation I don't want the monitors to enter power saving mode.

Is this possible?

One way to do this is to do what mplayer does, have the capability to run an arbitrary "heartbeat" command every once in a while to simulate activity. It doesn't look like moc has this option but it does let you run an arbitrary command when the song changes so you can just use that (assuming your songs are shorter than your screensaver timeout of course). An example of something to run might be
code:
xscreensaver-command -deactivate >/dev/null
There other ways to go about doing this depending on how fancy you want to get, cron immediately comes to mind for example.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Xik posted:

Bash code:
function mtv() {
}

Is this possible?

xset s off && xset -dpms && mopc && xset s on && xset +dpms

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I did some quick reading, I don't have xscreensaver installed so that is not responsible for managing DPMS. Xorg auto detects and enables it apparently. I guess the default has been fine so I've never bothered to learn about configuring it.

Reading the wiki, I think I can use setterm to set blank and powerdown off for a particular virtual terminal. So if I shove something like:

code:
setterm -blank 0 -powerdown 0
into the bash function I use to call moc it should do it. Then when I exit moc and close that virtual terminal it should go back to normal power saving. I'm guessing so anyway, I don't really have any idea what I'm doing and am just going by what the man page seems to say... I'll give it a go and see what happens.

edit: Or I could just do what evol says... thanks!

double edit: I think I'll just need to modify the dpms setting since I don't have a screensaver.

Xik fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 11, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Grumpwagon posted:

Someone clearly didn't go to the link and click "screenshot"

Oh! I thought he was talking about the posted image just above, not the one in the link hahaha.

I found a really snazzy twitter client. Birdie http://birdieapp.github.io/

Apparently it's made for ElementaryOS. Installed it easily since it's in the Arch User Repository. Another thing I'm really enjoying, the AUR is loving amazing.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 11, 2014

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

YouTuber posted:

Installed it easily since it's in the Arch User Repository. Another thing I'm really enjoying, the AUR is loving amazing.

The AUR can be a great resource and I'm a fan of pkgbuilds for stuff I would otherwise have to manually manage. If you're just discovering it though you should read about the security implications of installing stuff from the AUR.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xik posted:

If you're just discovering it though you should read about the security implications of installing stuff from the AUR.

I already take it to be as safe as downloading .exe files randomly from "trusted" sites when using Windows.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Word on the street is that some feminist witch bankrupted the GNOME foundation and split the scene. Any truth to this? https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/CurrentBudgetFAQ The wiki statement can't help but point to that touchy feeling internship thing over and over again.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lol no. The page says that it's mostly an administrative error. We'll be releasing an actual statement in a few days.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, I'm undergoing a home comp upgrade into the modern era, and will finally go 64-bit, which of course entails flattening. Have been using Ubuntu 13.10, should I stick with it when 14.04 is a few weeks away, or wait a few months for the bugs to go away? Maybe go Mint 16?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Serephina posted:

So, I'm undergoing a home comp upgrade into the modern era, and will finally go 64-bit, which of course entails flattening. Have been using Ubuntu 13.10, should I stick with it when 14.04 is a few weeks away, or wait a few months for the bugs to go away? Maybe go Mint 16?

I really like Mint 16, but keep in mind 16 is only supported through July. 17 is coming out at the end of May and will be a lts release, based on the just-released Ubuntu lts.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
So I wrote this cool sed expression:

sed -e 's/\(^.*tracker_\)\(.*\)\(:.*\)\(:.*\)/\2/'

For this string:

tracker_ip-10-85-57-55.ec2.internal:localhost/127.0.0.1:49191

To get this:

ip-10-85-57-55.ec2.internal

But it doesn't work for this:

tracker_ip-10-21-199-91.ec2.internal:45454

I'm assuming it's because I have it looking for two occurrences of : as if I remove the second one then it comes out right. In my head it's supposed to give me everything between tracker_ and the first occurrence of : but my head is bad at regex.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ashex posted:

For this string:

To get this:

I'm assuming it's because I have it looking for two occurrences of : as if I remove the second one then it comes out right. In my head it's supposed to give me everything between tracker_ and the first occurrence of : but my head is bad at regex.

Would this work?

code:
awk -F'[_:]' '{ print $2 }'

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'd match up to and including the first colon and then strip it off:
code:
sed -e 's/^tracker_\(.*:\).*$/\1/' | cut -f 1 -d : -

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Ashex posted:

For this string:

To get this:

Regexes are greedy by default: each component will attempt to match the largest possible chunk. So if your regex has only one part with the colon, it tends to match everything until the last available colon unless something else stops it from doing that.

You already got an awk-based solution, but for the sake of regex practice, here's mine:

code:

sed -e 's/^.*tracker_\([^:]*\):.*$/\1/'

Translation:
From the beginning of a line, there is some un-interesting stuff that ends with "tracker_", then the (first) interesting part begins. The interesting part can contain any characters other than a colon. When a colon is seen, the interesting part is over and anything after that (including the colon) until the end of line is non-interesting again. Now, replace it all with just the interesting part #1.

You might have some other requirements, but this is what I would write to get just the part you described with your examples.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ashex posted:

For this string:

To get this:

This is the point where you drop sed and go to something that can do pcres.
code:
echo -n tracker_ip-10-85-57-55.ec2.internal:localhost/127.0.0.1:49191 | perl -lpe '$_ =~ s/^tracker_(ip-.*?):.*/$1/;'
echo -n tracker_ip-10-21-199-91.ec2.internal:45454 | perl -lpe '$_ =~ s/^tracker_(ip-.*?):.*/$1/;'

echo -n tracker_ip-10-85-57-55.ec2.internal:localhost/127.0.0.1:49191 |python -c "import re, sys; print(re.sub(r'^tracker_(ip-.*?):.*', r'\1', sys.stdin.read()))"
echo -n tracker_ip-10-21-199-91.ec2.internal:45454 | python -c "import re, sys; print(re.sub(r'^tracker_(ip-.*?):.*', r'\1', sys.stdin.read()))"

echo tracker_ip-10-21-199-91.ec2.internal:45454 | ruby -e "puts STDIN.read.downcase.gsub(/^tracker_(ip-.*?):.*/, '\1')
I mean, you can do it with sed/POSIX regexps. But you end up doing pretty ugly things.
code:
sed -e 's/^.*tracker_\([^:]*\).*/\1/'
Which says "from the beginning of the string, eat everything until you encounter the last instance of tracker_ (non-greedy matching is a good reason to dump sed), then start a new capture group. Take the group of all characters except a colon and match, then suck up the rest of our string and put the capture in".

This works because . is a set of all characters, basically, and [^:]* says "remove colon from the list of characters you're willing to match, then match zero or more occurrences", which stops it dead at the first colon it finds but lets it match everything else. And this way, you can approximate non-greedy matching in sed. But it's a hack. And it gets unwieldy really fast when you get more complicated regexps. Learn PCREs and use whatever language they use in your environment.

E: beaten to it by telcoM :corsair:

evol262 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 14, 2014

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Hot drat, you guys know your stuff. I was going to use awk but didn't want to rely on FS as I'm extracting a hostname/IP from the string and there's a chance the hostname will contain a _. From there I decided to use sed because I knew it could do regex, then things got a little messy because I suck at it.

I'm trying to rely on system tools as much as possible since I'm writing a script that will be shared with lots of external parties, I'm basically using printf, sed, ssh, and scp throughout the script. I considered switching to Perl but I barely know how to use it and last time I went on #perl everyone yelled at me for calling shell commands.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Weltmacht
Apr 13, 2014

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Getting ready to depart to SF for the summit, first time to attend. I am primarily a Windows server administrator whose inherited about 200 RHEL 6.3 machines that I am not too familiar with. Background: RHCSA competence, and I have a few of my servers running RHEL(Splunk, couple of Tomcat webservers).

Are there any must attend events or sessions? Attending solo, so no guide, and just looking for some advice.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Does Ubuntu patch main packages more quickly/frequently than Debian? Or are they about the same?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

nescience posted:

Does Ubuntu patch main packages more quickly/frequently than Debian? Or are they about the same?

For new software versions or strictly security updates? Security updates are reasonably quick for both distributions, but new versions can be glacially slow on debian (stable versions of debian specifically)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Weltmacht posted:

Getting ready to depart to SF for the summit, first time to attend. I am primarily a Windows server administrator whose inherited about 200 RHEL 6.3 machines that I am not too familiar with. Background: RHCSA competence, and I have a few of my servers running RHEL(Splunk, couple of Tomcat webservers).

Are there any must attend events or sessions? Attending solo, so no guide, and just looking for some advice.

I'd pretty much follow whichever one of the tracks looks most interesting to you, but see anything Poettering or dwalsh are hosting (Demystifying Systemd, Roadmap to RHEL7 Security).

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Weltmacht posted:

Oh hey, me too. If you (or any lurking summit attendees) want a general session buddy, drop me a line via PM or email matt@cidrick.org and we can stare at each other from across the room like Real Internet Nerds.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Complete Linux newbie, so bear with me (and forgive me for not reading all 400+ pages of the thread).

I'm a former part-time small office computer janitor who has done a tiny bit of work in *nix systems before, so let's assume I'm barely capable.

I've got a 6 year old Dell Vostro (running XP pro) that runs just fine, but it's pretty bogged down with modern era software. All I want to be able to do with it is web browse (with the requisite multi-media plugins so that pandora/youtube/etc still work) and run open office, or even just use Google Docs. I've always wanted to play with a Linux machine, so this seems like a pretty good excuse to start.

Is Lubuntu a good choice for this? If not, should I install something else? The laptop reports linked in the OP have Vostro 1000s running Ubuntu (7.10 and 8.10) and Kubuntu 8.04, but I'd rather run something lightweight but new.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The OP is old als balls so never mind that poo poo.

Lubuntu should be fine. I personally prefer Xubuntu as I prefer XFCE but that's personal preference.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How much RAM is in it? See if you can up it to 1GB at least.

Try regular Ubuntu before Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It's got 512MB, but it's cheap enough to up it to its max supported 2GB. Processor is a AMD Sempron 3600+

Enough to run regular Ubuntu without much difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stealie72 posted:

It's got 512MB, but it's cheap enough to up it to its max supported 2GB. Processor is a AMD Sempron 3600+

Enough to run regular Ubuntu without much difficulty?

I have it running on some chunk of poo poo Athlon 3000 under my desk with 1GB of RAM.