Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

Maine is like one of the least urbanized states though.

True, but if you compare it to equally rural states like Montana or the Dakotas, or the states that send only one at-large representative to congress, the murder rate still appears to be much lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

whiteflight.jpg

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Poor Detroit.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What's that zipcode in the UP?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frostwerks posted:

Channing Michigan, though all of the data I'm able to find has it as a place with ~$65k median household income.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

Probably one or two filthy rich people in a town of 50.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

withak posted:

Probably one or two filthy rich people in a town of 50.

I literally figured "one super wealthy mining or timber family in a town of 5000". I assume those are industries in the UP. Them and pasties.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

computer parts posted:

Channing Michigan, though all of the data I'm able to find has it as a place with ~$65k median household income.

That's for the actual town of Channing, there are probably a couple of filthy rich people living in big compounds in the forest nearby that really skew the numbers. My hometown was similar, the town itself was lower middle class but there were a half dozen or so ludicrously wealthy people with gigantic mansions tucked away into the forest behind gigantic privacy fences.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Looks like it's here, a whole lot of nothing and a small town.
http://goo.gl/maps/sD0AA

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Peanut President posted:

Whole lot of nothing is right. This is where they should have set True Detective.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Here's the nice Mafia homicide map from the latest UN report I talked about earlier.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man if those are homicides perpetrated by the nice mafia I don't even wanna know what the mean mafia is up to.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Suicides in Russia. Per 100000 0-64 year old males.

Edit: I suck at uploading images, see below.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 14, 2014

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
^^^^: Your link doesn't work, I rehosted the image.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^Edit: It worked for me just fine?

Fail, where is the Crimea in this Russia map? Just kidding, and WOW. That's frightening. And it is kind of surprising that the least suicides have been in a Caucasus republic.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Faber posted:

It does not work for you only it seems.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Nah, it's not just them. The image didn't work for me either.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Robhol posted:

Nah, it's not just them. The image didn't work for me either.

Them ? Whatever, the problem is hopefully resolved now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It doesn't work for me either, and you shouldn't be image leeching anyway dude.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Very strange.

Just yesterday I talked with a Russian classical singer about traditional folk songs in Europe. We came to the conclusion that the further north and east you go, the more likely it is that traditional music is using minor scales, which are usually linked with sad emotions.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

kalstrams posted:

Not working for me either. I think it might only be working for you.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

mcustic posted:

Here's the nice Mafia homicide map from the latest UN report I talked about earlier.

Wait is there actually a U.N. Mafia index?

I mean it makes sense to be a thing worth studying, but at the same time it gives a pretty hilarious mental image.

kalstrams posted:

It didn't work for me either, at first. It seems like you aren't allowed to hotlink images from that site, but if you open it in a new tab the picture gets put in your cache so you can see it normally on this site.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Koramei posted:

It doesn't work for me either, and you shouldn't be image leeching anyway dude.

Okay, I will re-host next stuff I post.

Thump! posted:

Not working for me either. I think it might only be working for you.

Not only me.

Torrannor posted:

^^Edit: It worked for me just fine?

Edit:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It didn't work for me either, at first. It seems like you aren't allowed to hotlink images from that site, but if you open it in a new tab the picture gets put in your cache so you can see it normally on this site.

Ah, that explains it.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 14, 2014

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Faber posted:

What is going on with the green color intervals in that scale?

I call "make the whole map red therefore dangerous" shenanigans

e: not that the rates aren't super high, here's NIMH's map of the US for comparison:

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 14, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deaths from injuries, poisonings, killings and suicides in rural areas as a percentage of that in urban areas.

Tree Goat posted:

What is going on with the green color intervals in that scale?

I call "make the whole map red therefore dangerous" shenanigans

It probably is 0 - 0.3 and 0.3 - 1.3 but it is hard to guess.

Tree Goat posted:

e: not that the rates aren't super high

Only up to six times more.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

kalstrams posted:

It probably is 0 - 0.3 and 0.3 - 1.3 but it is hard to guess.

That's probably it, but it's still weird since:

There are two kinds of red in the map but only one red in the legend

The size of each interval is uneven, which usually means they are using quartiles (or septiles in this case), but there are not an equal number of regions represented in each category. One of the green intervals is not represented on the map at all.

Does the source have the data in tabular form (in Russian is fine)?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

That's probably it, but it's still weird since:

There are two kinds of red in the map but only one red in the legend

The size of each interval is uneven, which usually means they are using quartiles (or septiles in this case), but there are not an equal number of regions represented in each category. One of the green intervals is not represented on the map at all.

Does the source have the data in tabular form (in Russian is fine)?

Unfortunately source has no tabular data. Women suicide statistics (below this post) there have colour code issues similar to those you have described. Assuming that colours are reference points on 'colour scale' does not really work either as for the colours the data ranges are given, not exact values.

Edit: Well, it has some stats linked there, but those do not seem to be related to the maps in question.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 14, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was thinking about the situation in Ukraine, and I got to wondering about expanding borders. Russia annexed Crimea as we all know, and either has already or will officially make it part of Russian territory.

I was wondering when the last time this happened was. States these days, and really since WW2, have tended to splinter instead of grow larger. The most recent example I could think of of a state expanding its borders was Israel in '67 (and kinda ongoing with settlements, depending how you look at it). Any more recent examples that I've missed?

Here's an ugly map of Israel's expansion:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Count Roland posted:

I was wondering when the last time this happened was. States these days, and really since WW2, have tended to splinter instead of grow larger.

Like all good cartography questions with political components, the answer is "it depends"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_map_changes#21st_century

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Count Roland posted:

I was thinking about the situation in Ukraine, and I got to wondering about expanding borders. Russia annexed Crimea as we all know, and either has already or will officially make it part of Russian territory.

I was wondering when the last time this happened was.
Reunified Germany and China taking back Hong Kong are the most obvious ones that come to mind.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Reunified Germany and China taking back Hong Kong are the most obvious ones that come to mind.

Don't forget about China taking back Macau.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

Like all good cartography questions with political components, the answer is "it depends"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_map_changes#21st_century

Wow, that is quite the list there.

And I'll add North and South Vietnam being unified.

edit: Quite the list indeed! So much stuff I didn't know

-Yemen was only unified in 1990
-Iraq actually annexed Kuwait after its invasion
-Burkina Faso used to be called Upper Volta
-Iraq and Saudi Arabia had a neutral zone instead of a formal border until '81
-Central African Republic briefly and hilariously declared itself an Empire.

...and thats only back through the 70s. Extremely interesting, thanks for the link, and bless you wikipedia.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 14, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Peanut President posted:

Don't forget about China taking back Macau.

And India taking back Goa.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Count Roland posted:

I only know about this one thanks to Shadow President. :v:

Count Roland posted:

-Central African Republic briefly and hilariously declared itself an Empire.

The only "emperor" of the Central African Empire was such a nutcase. Before he proclaimed himself emperor, Jean-Bédel Bokassa converted to Islam for three months in 1976 in order to secure financial aid from Gaddafi. Then he converted back to Catholicism in order to be crowned Emperor. His coronation ceremony cost US$20 million, which was 1/3 of his country's annual budget. A few months lather, elementary school students around the country started protesting because their required school uniforms were too expensive, and Bokassa responded by having them all arrested, and over 100 died from their treatment in prison.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Count Roland posted:

Until relatively recently pretty much all of Saudi Arabia's borders were demarcated, as some of them (like the one with Oman) passed through some of the most uninhabitable parts of Earth and no one was particularly concerned with where exactly Saudi ended and the other Arab states began. They have since actually demarcated all of them.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Pakled posted:

I only know about this one thanks to Shadow President. :v:

I knew about the neutral zone from an old atlas I had as a kid. It wasn't until fairly recently that I realized it no longer existed.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Mu Cow posted:

I knew about the neutral zone from an old atlas I had as a kid. It wasn't until fairly recently that I realized it no longer existed.

We don't have enough areas called 'The Neutral Zone', it keeps me from the opportunity to pronounce that what ever car I'm traveling has now crossed into the neutral zone. I mean neutral zones proliferating would be a sign of horrible international relationships, but a chance to quote Star Trek in day to day life like an utter shitlord would be worth it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It's only worth it if you go all the way and rig the car up with red interior lights and the red alert klaxon and have them triggered when you crossed.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I was wondering when the last time this happened was. States these days, and really since WW2, have tended to splinter instead of grow larger. The most recent example I could think of of a state expanding its borders was Israel in '67 (and kinda ongoing with settlements, depending how you look at it). Any more recent examples that I've missed?

Here's an ugly map of Israel's expansion:

Jordan illegally annexed the entire West Bank in 1948.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Peanut President posted:

If you look a bit North of the town you can see the giant compounds on the lake