Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm surprised someone hasn't made a "Super Smash Bros. Character Select Screen Generator" yet.

Edit: WHOOOOOOOOOPS

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

nerdbot posted:

Smash games tend not to cut corners with models short of trophies, which I respect a lot--Brawl and Melee both resulted in the first time some of the original 151 got a new model since Pokemon Stadium.

They reuse assets when viable, it's just not often viable since very few games would have applicable models. According to TCRF, there's a few 'import leftovers' from Brawl that clue you in on it, including the Pokemon lifted from Battle Revolution, pretty much every single Zelda thing except Toon Link (this includes both stages), and of course most trophies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gently caress Lucas. Whenever my friends get together and we play Brawl he's the one character who consistently smacks my rear end down. I hope he's cut out of spite. :colbert:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't made a "Super Smash Bros. Character Select Screen Generator" yet.

That's literally where those images are coming from on the last page, dude

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress Lucas. Whenever my friends get together and we play Brawl he's the one character who consistently smacks my rear end down. I hope he's cut out of spite. :colbert:

Agreed. I try not to get mad about videogames but oh man did I used to steam about Lucas's loving up smash. gently caress that OP poo poo.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Okay guys here's the final roster.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

RBA Starblade posted:

I only have one friend better than me, and he plays Pikachu and I cry irl everytime. I hate that Pikachu will never go away.

Doesnt matter, he can beat all of us with almost anyone, including Yoshi :negative:

E: Now that Waluigi is a no-go, my dream choice would be King K. Rool. That would be so kickass.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There is no way the character count will escalate to 60, but I can dream. :allears:

This is my compromise list. :suicide:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do you think they'll still have that minigame where you have five seconds to beat up the sandbag and then homerun-bat it as far as possible? That was genuinely tricky and I remember trying real hard to figure out the right character for the soften-up part.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Probably, it was in the last two games.

One thing I really want them to bring back are the personalized Break the Target stages. Brawl was terrible in that regard.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Raserys posted:

heres mine

I improved it slightly.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Reiley posted:

Do you think they'll still have that minigame where you have five seconds to beat up the sandbag and then homerun-bat it as far as possible? That was genuinely tricky and I remember trying real hard to figure out the right character for the soften-up part.

Just pick Yoshi, mash that d-air congrats you win

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Sorry, Dr. Mario/Wario/Waluigi fans!)

:D

Wario has been a standalone franchise for a while now, with the Wario Land and WarioWare series :colbert:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The main reason MvC2 had so many characters was because there were a lot of characters from past fighting games and Capcom could reuse sprites. You'll notice that the number went down when MvC3 went with 3D models.

Capcom used the same Morrigan sprites for roughly ten years! :eng101:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The real challenge was doing HRC in co-op in Brawl. I remember when the daily replays were ongoing they sent some insanely coordinated combo videos out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Seeing people's hypothetical rosters speaks volumes about the games they have and haven't played.

For instance, from all of the above rosters I can tell that none of the people that made them played through Kid Icarus: Uprising or Fire Emblem: Awakening. :negative:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

I improved it slightly.

Finally, someone who knows what we want!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I can't afford a 3DS or Wii U, also I don't really care about Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Excels posted:

Just pick Yoshi, mash that d-air congrats you win

I didn't like Yoshi I thought he was stupid.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Reiley posted:

I didn't like Yoshi I thought he was stupid.

So did I, but his dair was pretty much the best method of getting the distance needed to get whoever it was that HRC unlocked

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

TheKingofSprings posted:

For instance, from all of the above rosters I can tell that none of the people that made them played through Kid Icarus: Uprising or Fire Emblem: Awakening. :negative:

Well, yeah, but I know Nintendo isn't going to add the characters I want from those games. Hell, Goku is actually probably more likely then anyone from FE:A other then Chrom and maybe Lucina.

That said, I'd totally play a Super Emblem Bros. game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Well, yeah, but I know Nintendo isn't going to add the characters I want from those games. Hell, Goku is actually probably more likely then anyone from FE:A other then Chrom and maybe Lucina.

That said, I'd totally play a Super Emblem Bros. game.

If Lucina got in, she'd probably be like Wireframe Little Mac, a special alt costume for Marth since that's what she spends the first third of the game disguised as.
As for Super Emblem Bros, we still have Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem on the horizon! :getin:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I want a 2D fighter but exclusively for JRPGs, both old and modern.

If I had to narrow it down further, Final Fantasy x Tales of The World would be ideal.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

My take on the roster.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I will go to my grave without understanding how anyone could possibly give a poo poo about Pac-Man the character.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Namco probably does, and they're making the game with Sakurai.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

I am Reverend posted:

I will go to my grave without understanding how anyone could possibly give a poo poo about Pac-Man the character.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

It's one of the long-lasting symptoms of Pac-Man Fever. You would understand if you suffered through that terrible disease.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I will be mad if Lifeless Yellow Orb makes it into the game and never use him out of spite.

"Oh that yellow thing on the character select screen? I dunno disc must be scratched or something, ignore it."

If Namco really wants someone in the game they could throw in someone from Tekken or Soul Calibur; that would be cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I will be mad if Lifeless Yellow Orb makes it into the game and never use him out of spite.

"Oh that yellow thing on the character select screen? I dunno disc must be scratched or something, ignore it."

If Namco really wants someone in the game they could throw in someone from Tekken or Soul Calibur; that would be cool.

Harada has already said Tekken characters aren't a good fit and Project Soul isn't interested. Too bad Katamari has never been on a Nintendo system.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monkey Fracas posted:

Throw in someone from Tales. Lloyd from Symphonia would be super hype.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just don't know what fighting moves you give to a character that usually does not have arms or legs in the majority of his resume.

Mr Driller, however, he's got arms and legs, he's got his drill, he's got his oxygen tank. Maybe he can wail on people with the oxygen tank.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Pac-Man can work in Smash because he fits. As in, he's not too large.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just don't know what fighting moves you give to a character that usually does not have arms or legs in the majority of his resume.

Mr Driller, however, he's got arms and legs, he's got his drill, he's got his oxygen tank. Maybe he can wail on people with the oxygen tank.

Someone's never played Pac Man 2: The New Adventures. He already has a Final Smash baked into his character.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Pacman can only be in if he's the new one and he has secret taunts of Lowtax and Shmorky hating him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pacman has had arms and legs in his official art since the original arcade game. Its kind of ridiculous at this point.

Plus he's starred in more 3D games than 2D and has starred in multiple cartoons with limbs including one currently airing.

This argument is so dumb. Pacman has limbs and has for 34 years at this point.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Wow I'm surprised people are so anti-Pac-man. He's got plenty of moveset potential from his 3D platformer games, and he's one of the most iconic video game characters ever. I think he'd work great in Smash.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really don't get the Pac backlash.

He's the Mario/Sonic/MegaMan of Namco. He's their iconic mascot.

Not just that, he's easily one the most famous arcade characters ever. It's a huge chapter in the history of not just games on Nintendo systems but games as a whole. And Pac-Man games are fun. And Namco is making Smash.

But if you consider the "I never understand people who play videogames who aren't me" mentality, maybe the Pac hate makes perfect sense.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PantsBandit posted:

He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

Yes, because Captain Falcon had such a fleshed out personality before Smash 64.

Does Yoshi have a personality even now? Do the various Pokemon? ROB? Mr. Game and Watch? Ice Climbers?

• Locked thread