Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Allen Wren posted:

This is a guitar pick. Apparently.

i used a risha for a while (on guitar) when i was loving around with ouds. i actually like the feel of it but since a guitar pick is like 1000% better the only reason muslims don't use them is because they can't ever change anything, ever.

not my rishas, but just an fyi if you didn't know what a risha is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

umalt posted:

I'd put .08's on my Jazzmaster if they were easier to find around here. Though most of the claims that you need .12's come from the fact that the bridge was designed for 'thick' strings back in the day, so it tends to not have enough tension to prevent buzzing (although if you just use loctite then it goes away).

First thing I did when I got it was replace the bridge with a modified Mustang bridge. Bye bye buzzing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Noise Machine posted:

What's it like to have been wrong about every decision you've ever made in your life?

Wouldn't know, I don't enjoy Screaming Females and lovely guitar playing.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

What's it like to have been wrong about every decision you've ever made in your life?

What's it like to be that guy that is a total douche to everyone that doesn't like a band he likes?

e: Because the Screaming Females suck.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

booshi posted:

What's it like to be that guy that is a total douche to everyone that doesn't like a band he likes?

e: Because the Screaming Females suck.

i'd be interested to know how this post is better than his

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Stargate posted:

i'd be interested to know how this post is better than his

because I'm expressing my opinion about a band instead of telling people their whole life is wrong because of something completely subjective.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

booshi posted:

because I'm expressing my opinion about a band instead of telling people their whole life is wrong because of something completely subjective.

yeah, misread your post somehow. carry on.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Stargate posted:

yeah, misread your post somehow. carry on.

its cool I dont make the most sense when im staring at the tv super concentrated on golf.

i say this with no sarcasm.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bubba Watson probably plays a JEM.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

fyodor posted:

Bubba Watson probably plays a JEM.

Nah, a vintage Les Paul. Probably one with some tenuous connection to someone famous.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHwxjkGQcU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Jedrick posted:

Here's me playing some riffs interspersed with feedback wankery:

https://soundcloud.com/jedricksa/blah

:siren:ugly guitar warning:siren::nms:

Is that one of the newer indonesian mass produced jobs?

I like jems, even if the monkey handle is silly they play great.

People who coil their strings on the tuners like that are the worst sort of people. It looks dumb and I hope you poke an eye out.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

I like jems ...
It looks dumb and I hope you poke an eye out.

The cognitive dissonance. I hated JEMs before but after the he-who-must-not-be-named inquisition I hate them even more.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

This is one of those "Insert Name Here" shreds videos, right?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

booshi posted:

The cognitive dissonance. I hated JEMs before but after the he-who-must-not-be-named inquisition I hate them even more.

Not clipping your strings looks dumb, on any guitar. It also sounds dumb and poking an eye out is about the coolest thing about it.

vv - I guess it doesn't apply if you're an anime or whatever

reallivedinosaur fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 14, 2014

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Makoto Kawabata doesn't clip his strings and he's cool as gently caress

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

reallivedinosaur posted:

I like jems, even if the monkey handle is silly they play great.

People who coil their strings on the tuners like that are the worst sort of people. It looks dumb and I hope you poke an eye out.

am i crazy or are the ball-ends on the headstock too?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

Not clipping your strings looks dumb, on any guitar. It also sounds dumb and poking an eye out is about the coolest thing about it.

Yeah, I stopped doing that when I was 15.

Also, ugly instrument thread, am I safe?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Dewgy posted:

am i crazy or are the ball-ends on the headstock too?

Yeah, people do this because you have to clip the balls on floyd rose trems and they are too lazy to do so. I've only ever seen it done in pawn shops, where they just toss strings on so it's playable.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
banjo is missing something...

there we go :twisted:

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Nooo you don't do that to a nice Deering!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
that man can do anything he wants to a banjo IMO

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Did that dude put a roland MIDI pickup on there? A banjo synth? :getin:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

which they charge like $1500 for lol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

comes along bort posted:

which they charge like $1500 for lol

There's one at the long & mcquade near me that's 1000 canadian. More than I'd pay but not out of line with other decent super strats (schecter, esp, jackson, etc)

In a couple years when I see one used for 300 or so I'd think about it, but for the money an RG Prestige would be a better buy, and is basically the same guitar but doesn't look goofy.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

reallivedinosaur posted:

vv - I guess it doesn't apply if you're an anime or whatever
he's sort of the opposite of an anime hope this helps

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

There's one at the long & mcquade near me that's 1000 canadian. More than I'd pay but not out of line with other decent super strats (schecter, esp, jackson, etc)

In a couple years when I see one used for 300 or so I'd think about it, but for the money an RG Prestige would be a better buy, and is basically the same guitar but doesn't look goofy.

it's not even the quality which i'm sure is alright but that's way too much for an indonesian-made instrument. maybe $5-600 new, but even that's like korean pricing

$1500 you're getting a japanese esp

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 14, 2014

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Yeah, people do this because you have to clip the balls on floyd rose trems and they are too lazy to do so. I've only ever seen it done in pawn shops, where they just toss strings on so it's playable.

I do it backwards as well. With the ball right on the tuner hole. I'm not putting dumb gay turns behind a locking nut.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

comes along bort posted:

it's not even the quality which i'm sure is alright but that's way too much for an indonesian-made instrument. maybe $5-600 new, but even that's like korean pricing

$1500 you're getting a japanese esp

Fully agree. I played it in the store, it felt and played as good as the real japanese jems, low action, fast neck, good pickups, etc. But the finish and overall QA was kind of lovely. Like, paint missing around where the jack plugs in, poo poo like that. Dude at the store was telling me they had a couple of them come in already scuffed or nicked from the factory, one with a big chip out of the horn. No way it's worth 1000 or more.

I see the real ones used all the time for less than that, about half the time signed by steve vai (which probably lowers the resale value).

e: lol balls on the hole

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Jedrick posted:

Here's me playing some riffs interspersed with feedback wankery:

https://soundcloud.com/jedricksa/blah

Why does this thing's body look like it's made out of plastic?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

killhamster posted:

Why does this thing's body look like it's made out of plastic?

color coat poly finishes where the color pigments are mixed in with the finish look like plastic coating. it basically is plastic

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

booshi posted:

Nooo you don't do that to a nice Deering!
Bela Fleck, I'll give him a pass. This time.

I saw him a few months ago and holy poo poo is he amazing live.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Ah, I've never seen him live and never knew what he looked like. Though I dunno if I have room to talk last band I was in I played banjo and I used an ebow on it for a few songs. Sounds pretty cool.

Dec 26, 2012

Jedrick posted:

hello again, old friend

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah, but there is no denying that everything about the Flecktones is goofy as gently caress.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
This popped up in my facebook feed just now, because facebook wants me to listen to motorhead or something.

Looks like a bad case mod from 2000.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think it also dispenses jaeger

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

This popped up in my facebook feed just now, because facebook wants me to listen to motorhead or something.

I listen to the Ace of Spades album on my lunch breaks when I sleep. I've had it as one of the cycled albums I nap too (union gig, and that half hour lunch break is all mine :colbert: ) for the past couple months. :blush:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Sockington posted:

I listen to the Ace of Spades album on my lunch breaks when I sleep. I've had it as one of the cycled albums I nap too (union gig, and that half hour lunch break is all mine :colbert: ) for the past couple months. :blush:

I used to like HHH I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

When I was in the ninth grade I had a shirt that I wrote the lyrics to Ace of Spades on in sharpie

This is canon

• Locked thread