Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pac-Man is the first really huge video game mascot. His historical significance alone makes him perfect for Smash. Also Namco is working on the game, it just seems like a no-brainer. He even appeared in the arcade Mario Kart Namco worked on, so there's even precedent for Namco throwing him in. Bring on the Pac Attack. :v: :colbert: :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

Mario is a blank slate who jumps on things and yowls in bizarre pseudo-English. I think NES Megaman actually has more personality than him.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
And then there's Samus who thanks to Other M has tons of personality! :suicide:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pacman just seems like a better assist trophy to me, where a giant Pacman chomps around the screen and sends people flying.

Make the bear from tekken a fighter.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wind God Sety posted:

Wow I'm surprised people are so anti-Pac-man. He's got plenty of moveset potential from his 3D platformer games, and he's one of the most iconic video game characters ever. I think he'd work great in Smash.

Noooo they gotta add my waifu favorite character from this RPG/Fighter!!!

Sherd Red
Mar 23, 2012
I AM A HORRIBLE PUBBIE WHO LIKES TO USE REDDIT MEMES PLEASE MOCK ME EVERY TIME I POST

PantsBandit posted:

Look at this motherfucker that has never played Pacman two. :colbert:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

PantsBandit posted:

The Pac-Man game mechanics would translate so well to a stage and a final smash, though. The stage would be a Pac-Man maze, but vertical, and his final smash would obviously be everyone turning flashy and blue and unable to do anything except run away from Pac-Man, who then eats them.

It should be the pacman with the black eyes, though, not the blue-eyed abomination that isn't even the real Pac-Man because The real Pac-Man died fighting a ghost genocide or something

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 14, 2014

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I was on the gently caress Pac-Man Train, but I think he would have a pretty funny moveset, and it would be neat to see such an iconic video game character represented alongside new babbys like Greninja.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pacman just seems like a better assist trophy to me, where a giant Pacman chomps around the screen and sends people flying.

Oh you mean his Final Smash? :v:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They could remove Sonic and give Pacman his moveset very easily. In fact, I think this is a good idea and they should go with it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Put Pac-Man in the game, but you can't directly control him and have to lead him around the stage by shooting a slingshot controlled by the wiimote.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My beef with Pac-Mac is how (seemingly) hard Namco has tried to keep him a relevant thing. It's sort of like how Sega's tried really hard to make/keep Sonic edgy and cool. Only worse because I don't think Pacman ever seemed cool to anyone, or has any notable games beside the original arcade?

I wouldn't say he'd be entirely out of place in Smash4, but something about it feels like it'd be weird or tacky, like MUGEN.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Masahiro Sakurai posted:

"Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn’t at all mean that they’d be given any special consideration for having characters in the game," Sakurai said. "Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation."

I do not think that Pac-man of all characters would be special enough to get into Sakurai's fighting party game. Who knows, though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
nintendo has a billion other properties that would drum up more excitement for the game and that I'd be happier to see in the game (pretty much all of them, including Krystal or Baby Bowser) and there aren't that many spaces for fighters.

He's not even the best namco character even.

Ask yourself about the cost of including another third party character in the game vs the amount of hype it would bring
Does Pac Man drum up enough excitement to sell enough games to pay for himself?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't like any design of Pacman that isn't a pixellated circle mouth, he looks like a weird clowny jerk.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Make the bear from tekken a fighter.

There's really only one Tekken fighter fit for Smash

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A Pac-man stage would be great, at least I can agree about that. But I think a lot of Namco arcade games could make for interesting stages. Mappy with its trampolines, Dig Dug could have above ground and underground fighting, Point Blank has goofy set pieces, Time Crisis could be the castle from that game but an AI is randomly shooting at the players.

I'd prefer if Namco characters were just assist trophies though. And I think that would still be neat. And I'm pretty sure there are Namco items like the Galaga ship.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Reiley posted:

There's really only one Tekken fighter fit for Smash

Gon is not a Namco character, but he is a manga character.

Goku is also a manga character.

In short, put Gon and Goku in the game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If they put in Goku and not Simon Belmont, somebody's hosed up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pac-Man was already in three Mario Kart games so I'll be surprised if he's not in this but if he makes it in and Snake doesn't, I'll blame him. (I know that's not how character decisions probably work.)

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I do not think that Pac-man of all characters would be special enough to get into Sakurai's fighting party game. Who knows, though.

Pac-Man is one of video gaming's earliest mascot. I think he is pretty relevant. Pretty much the only relevant Namco character that I could ever see in Smash, anyway.

Edit: forgot to write Namco :v:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 14, 2014

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
IMO it would be hilarious if Pac-Man is a playable character at the direct expense of Waluigi/Ridley/Lucina or whoever else people are pleading for ceaselessly. I have no dog in this fight (though I'd never play Pac-Man personally) but the gnashing of teeth would be great :allears:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd like to see Waluigi take Wario's slot, 'cause I never much used Wario.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pac-Man works because Video Games, unlike most media, you can get away with have a limited or 1-dimensional personality and still be endearing because if their games are fun or engaging it can make up for it ways other forms of media can't.

He's like the anti-Waluigi, people want him in because of what he represents to video games as a whole, rather than they find themselves personally attached to the character.

Also, how many rock songs and Major Disney Releases have you been featured in. I thought so :colbert:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'll accept it if they give him the smug walk cycle from the slingshot game.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

He's like the anti-Waluigi, people want him in because of what he represents to video games as a whole, rather than they find themselves personally attached to the character.

Whoa.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Alright, I'll accept it if they give him the smug walk cycle from the slingshot game.

I would be happy if there was an assist trophy where he does this and just walks off the edge.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

What the gently caress is this?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the tricky thing with Pacman is that his original sprite design is extremely iconic and recognizable the world over:

...while his official design is really, really not:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pac-Man has literally already been in multiple non-dot-chomping games including a fighting game. I don't understand why people are so bewildered at the idea that one of the most iconic video game characters of all time could probably work out a basic moveset that would be fun, interesting and iconic. Often the same people asking for Ridley and Waluigi.

I mean, I'm sorry, Pac-Man's a much much bigger deal than Mega Man ever was from a video game history standpoint and from a sales standpoint. If you can figure out why Mega Man got into the game, you could figure out why Pac-Man did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 14, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think the tricky thing with Pacman is that his original sprite design is extremely iconic and recognizable the world over:

...while his official design is really, really not:

Except most people who aren't brain dead can look at that and see "Yeah that's Pac-Man" mostly because that's always been his design.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you're gonna put in the most iconic mascot of videogames, put in Doom Guy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ImpAtom posted:

Pac-Man has literally already been in multiple non-dot-chomping games including a fighting game. I don't understand why people are so bewildered at the idea that one of the most iconic video game characters of all time could probably work out a basic moveset that would be fun, interesting and iconic. Often the same people asking for Ridley and Waluigi.

ridley is cool, waluigi is pretty funny, both have characters from their own franchises in the game already, we've all played and enjoyed games with those characters in them, pacman is neither a giant pteranodon nor a funny crotch chopping rear end in a top hat, they were representative of their own games whereas pac man just sort of guests in things

It's a complicated thing to understand I know

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I feel bad that I can't remember a single namco franchise that isn't either the souls games, tekken, or soul calibur.

I mean it'd be awesome to get Sun Bro as a playable character, but that'll never happen and be pretty stupid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

What the gently caress is this?

It's from Pac Man 2: The New Adventures, where you literally don't control Pac Man, but instead alter his mood by bringing his attention to things with a slingshot and hope that he doesn't get himself killed. He usually does and there are hundreds of ways for him to die. It's hilarious.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

If you're gonna put in the most iconic mascot of videogames, put in Doom Guy.

In 2014, I think approximately 100 trillion more people would recognize Pac-Man first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

ridley is cool, waluigi is pretty funny, both have characters from their own franchises in the game already, we've all played and enjoyed games with those characters in them, pacman is neither a giant pteranodon nor a funny crotch chopping rear end in a top hat, they were representative of their own games whereas pac man just sort of guests in things

It's a complicated thing to understand I know

Pac-Man has literally been in more solo games than Ridley and Waluigi put together.

Edit: And has been in Mario games before! He was literally in a game with Waluigi already!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Zain posted:

I feel bad that I can't remember a single namco franchise that isn't either the souls games, tekken, or soul calibur.

I mean it'd be awesome to get Sun Bro as a playable character, but that'll never happen and be pretty stupid.

Wait, Dark Souls is namco? Why the gently caress didn't anyone say something about that, in any other video game thread dark souls would be like the first thing brought up! A dark souls stage or assist trophy or even a character would be great!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I dunno exactly why, but I just hate the new Pac-Man design. Can't really put my finger on it but it seems like there's something inherently annoying about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Pac Man is a long way from being a guest. He's really only well known for those two games in the eighties but he's been in a ton of games straight through in to the 3-D era.

• Locked thread