Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Extravagant Feast. Let's show the peasants the beneficence of the Econoqueen!

Public Speaking x2 So we can properly tell the peasants of the beneficence of the Econoqueen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.
Decoration!
Extravagance!
Rejoice, nobles and peasants and view our splendor! Feel patriotism and grandeur suffuse your bodies!

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Welcome to the magical future time of April 13th! You might be frightened by our advanced, future technology, but I assure you that it shouldn't be too hard to come to terms with the span of time that has elapsed. :v:

Hot drat. That magic Awful Reader sent me to the future again.

Since I am here, I guess I'll partake in the common pleasantries. Extravagant Parties and top it off with a beautiful Public Speech.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Feast

An extravagant feast: 28

A respectable feast: 10

No celebration: 8

A small feast: 1

Classes

Public Speaking: 33

Decoration: 23

Swords: 2

Voice: 2

Reflexes: 2

Presence: 2

Dogs: 2

Novan History: 2

Court Manners: 2

Winners

An extravagant feast

Public Speaking

Decoration

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

(Roasted meats, cakes, chocolates, wine, enough for everyone! And I can give out commemorative cups and coins!)

You awaken to the sound of chanting outside the castle. You stick your head out the window to see what's happening, then withdraw with a gasp. The peasants are rebelling! Hundreds, maybe thousands, of them, with spears and pitchforks and torches, all screaming for your removal. And here you are in your tower, with your armies depleted from the recent war. There is nothing for you to do but huddle behind your stone walls and hope that you can resist the siege.

:colbert: What? Did you think we were going to see Elodie's coronation? The thread title exists for a reason.

Game over count: 3

Edit: Vote for 3 classes. We are starting from the beginning one last time.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 14, 2014

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Good run, folks!

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So...did they notice that our taxes were bleeding them dry or...?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

That was abrupt.

Also, commemorative cups and coins? Were we throwing a medieval fantasy feast, or a Star Trek convention?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've been following along with this playthrough at home, so I already knew this was coming. I used the debug menu to check your commoner approval score at week 39 with a good sized feast.

It was exactly at the level that would trigger a revolt. You guys were literally one choice away from making it to the end. You could have probably avoided this by simply not giving the pillow to Alice, which I'm pretty sure has a very minor negative impact on that score.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well... hey. Look on the bright side. Technically, we survived! :toot:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
To be honest, that's kind of a lame way to go.

If she had died in dignity, as I sugested, this woudn't have happened. Therefore, this is dads fault.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jokes on the peasants. They may have dethroned an inept Queen, but now they'll never get their fancy collectible cups.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I bet the cups were going to be in the shape of top hats, too. Their loss!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

You could have probably avoided this by simply not giving the pillow to Alice, which I'm pretty sure has a very minor negative impact on that score.

No, I tested it out, and we still would have gotten this even if we hadn't given the pillow to Alice.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
We...we lost on the very last day? Welp.
Nice fresco of us becoming Cinderella as well. Well, not exactly a fresco, but it reminds me of them.

I say next playthrough we go full evil magic dictator that can see every threat coming before they happen.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Heh, maybe learning some Novan History next time will help. She's a terrible Queen if she doesn't know anything about her own country.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

No, I tested it out, and we still would have gotten this even if we hadn't given the pillow to Alice.

Would our choice of feast have changed anything?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ViggyNash posted:

Gotta ask this as well.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I... what? :psyduck: What triggered this? There's been no grumbling about a peasant revolt. One week away, I don't even. What.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

legoman727 posted:

I... what? :psyduck: What triggered this? There's been no grumbling about a peasant revolt.
No grumbling that we know of. Alas, our best agents were too busy chasing dirty commies Lumens to pay attention to unruly peasants...

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 14, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You'd think the peasants would have given us a little benefit of the doubt for stopping an invasion. Like, at least a month or two of staying off our rear end. But nooo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Not even a skill check for a speech to calm them or whatever? Laaaaame.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Better a long and boring life than being exploded by anime.

But next time we should become a force of nature, and unstoppable being of magic and stabbing that rules through might and fear! They won't try rebelling against that!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't believe none of the nobles would step in and beat down the revolt. Regardless of their opinion of Elodie as queen it's definitely in their interest not to let the peasants get any ideas that they can rise up and replace the ruler. Not to mention the kinda huge benefit of having the queen being indebted to them.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

No. The "extravegent feast" option is the one that gets you the most Peasant Points™

Poil posted:

I can't believe none of the nobles would step in and beat down the revolt. Regardless of their opinion of Elodie as queen it's definitely in their interest not to let the peasants get any ideas that they can rise up and replace the ruler. Not to mention the kinda huge benefit of having the queen being indebted to them.

The nobles don't have military forces anymore. Remember that entire "we lost our entire military" thing?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 14, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

I've been following along with this playthrough at home, so I already knew this was coming. I used the debug menu to check your commoner approval score at week 39 with a good sized feast.

It was exactly at the level that would trigger a revolt. You guys were literally one choice away from making it to the end. You could have probably avoided this by simply not giving the pillow to Alice, which I'm pretty sure has a very minor negative impact on that score.

Could you perhaps explain this a bit better? I'm a little confused by this result, and it seems a few others are too. There was no foreshadowing of commoner discontent, we were about to throw a grand feast for them, we just put off a huge invasion. The fact that you had to use a debug menu to check something feels off, considering how up front the game has been about our failures so far. This feels incredibly out of left field for this game, especially considering how we've had chances to avoid death months in advance with the way skill checks work. Here it just feels like "Nope, gently caress you! No victory, because of a thing you couldn't actually see. Of course that's unfair, but you lost so oh well!"

What I'm asking is, literally what the gently caress just happened?

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Remember the cruelty check? That's not the only hidden stat in the game. Elodie didn't go to the tournament, and Selene faked a "bad omen" during the parade.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Keep in mind, we only "beat the invasion" in the sense that the queen, personally, wasn't killed. From a peasant's point of view, the navy was destroyed, the army was beaten, foreign soldiers went tromping through undoubtedly seizing their stuff (since the king only cared about Lumen crystals), and then broke up into organized bands of bandits. That's as comprehensive a loss as could be imagined.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Galick posted:

We will not be caught unaware again, and will have the entire god drat nation behind us.

I... I have known since week 30 that this was going to happen. :unsmigghh:

legoman727 posted:

I... what? :psyduck: What triggered this? There's been no grumbling about a peasant revolt. One week away, I don't even. What.

We did get grumbling! That's what the "everyone looks worried and you don't know why and you think all your choices were wrong" screen was. We could have chosen to direct our agents to a commoner uprising, instead, but then Joslyn wouldn't have gotten into the stash of anti-Lumen goodies.

jonjonaug posted:

I was following along too, and after the week 29 - week 30 update, there was no outcome I could find that was not either death prior to coronation or commoner revolt in week 39. The size of feast wouldn't have helped.

It's not that we did anything wrong in week 30 (we didn't have any choices to make that week at all!), it's just that that was the latest point we could start raising a specific set of skills so that they'd be high enough when the last chance to avoid this outcome did show up. Since this is a no-spoilers LP, I couldn't exactly say, "Hey, thread, can y'all just vote exactly as I do for a few weeks?" so when week 30 passed all I was hoping for was to see Joslyn defeat Togami. (Which he did do! :unsmith:)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Could you perhaps explain this a bit better? I'm a little confused by this result, and it seems a few others are too. There was no foreshadowing of commoner discontent, we were about to throw a grand feast for them, we just put off a huge invasion. The fact that you had to use a debug menu to check something feels off, considering how up front the game has been about our failures so far. This feels incredibly out of left field for this game, especially considering how we've had chances to avoid death months in advance with the way skill checks work. Here it just feels like "Nope, gently caress you! No victory, because of a thing you couldn't actually see. Of course that's unfair, but you lost so oh well!"

1) We raised taxes. We didn't do it egregiously, but we raised them regardless.

2) We haven't left the castle since week 16. We didn't appear at any events since then. We didn't go to the tournament at all, and we weren't even their to lead the fleet. The peasants probably believe that "she thinks herself above us!"

3) Elodie's rule hasn't exactly been pleasent. With the rogue Lumens and the war that killed almost everyone in the Novan military, it only makes sense that the commoners would look at all this and blame it on Elodie. Besides, the whole lumen thing was her fault.

4) We ordered an execution for a commoner who was taking action against an unjust lord. Not exactly an action that shows support for the common man.

5) We sent approximately 0 agents to deal with commoner uprisings. All our agents were focused on hunting Julianna.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 14, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

There are several hidden variables in the game that do have concrete numeric values internally, cruelty and discontent are two of them. There are ways of checking these values, though you never get a hard number except in the case of the amount of lassi in the treasury. We just didn't make choices that would have warned us this time through.

All told we weren't actually very cruel. Most of the cruelty checks are hidden; if we had been more cruel we would have gotten a slightly different outcome when a servant ate the poisoned chocolates. That's remarkable, actually, because except for the playthroughs where I've deliberately avoided being cruel I've always passed that check. Somehow this thread has managed to make an unusually kind Elodie, despite our best efforts.

I was honestly surprised we did have a revolt, though as someone pointed out we were right on the threshold for it.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
I thought the Accounting check we passed when raising taxes meant the commoners wouldn't be angry at us for that? Elodie specifically says that most people won't notice, and the only people that will pay more are those who can afford it.

Yay classes!

Swords, Archery and Reflexes! Let Elodie unleash her inner badass!

Happy Blue fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 15, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I forgot to ask you guys to vote for 3 classes!

Happy Blue posted:

I thought the Accounting check we passed when raising taxes meant the commoners wouldn't be angry at us for that? Elodie specifically says that most people won't notice, and the only people that will pay more are those who can afford it.

They would get less angry. Whenever you increase taxes, it is foolish to say that "no one will be angry." More appropriately, a minimal number of people would be angry. Elodie said "Only the ones who can afford it will pay more." In this case, this probably angered the merchants/wealthy tradesmen.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 14, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Let's try to go with our cousin on an adventure this time. Do Composure the first week, regardless of the penalty, then, do Lore and Battlefield Medicine.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All 3 in the military branch. It's time we learned to put down invasion and rebellion by ourselves.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

MegaZeroX posted:

1) We raised taxes. We didn't do it egregiously, but we raised them regardless.

I thought our Econoprincess check when we raised taxes raised them so that they weren't gouging the peasants.

Votingwise: Composure, Presence x 2. I personally want to see what dirty witches are magicing during the ball.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 14, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

AJ_Impy posted:

All 3 in the military branch. It's time we learned to put down invasion and rebellion by ourselves.

Blood for the blood queen, skulls for the skull throne!

I do mean that quite literally.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hidden checks like this feel...awkward. Especially in a game like this. In hindsight, yes all of this makes a certain amount of sense. But to have a game as micro-managing as this not give us all of the relevant information seems somewhat cheap. At least give us the option of getting a rough estimate of commoner approval. Not a hard percentage, but at least be able to check to see if "Nah, everything's cool" or "They're sharpening the pitchforks and lighting the torches". It just feels oddly underhanded for this game. At least when we failed a check previously, it told us what check we failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Desuwa posted:

All told we weren't actually very cruel. Most of the cruelty checks are hidden; if we had been more cruel we would have gotten a slightly different outcome when a servant ate the poisoned chocolates. That's remarkable, actually, because except for the playthroughs where I've deliberately avoided being cruel I've always passed that check. Somehow this thread has managed to make an unusually kind Elodie, despite our best efforts.

Except for the playthroughs where I was trying for the "To Serve Evil" and the "Favor of Cats" achievements I always get the outcome we did ("Oh no, someone got poisoned! That means someone wants to kill me!"). :raise:

As for classes, let's plan on getting into the treasury via accounting again (since it's easier to raise, with only one mood having a malus, than presence), so: Accounting x3 (The way voting works, I can't vote for "Accounting and Accounting, then Trade and Production, then Trade and Production", or I'd do that.)

Archenteron posted:

I thought our Econoprincess check when we raised taxes raised them so that they weren't gouging the peasants.
Emphasis mine. We really were very close to avoiding a revolt, just not so close to avoiding it that an extravagant rather than not-quite-extravagant feast would have helped.

• Locked thread