Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Space T Rex posted:

In 2014, I think approximately 100 trillion more people would recognize Pac-Man first.
Honestly? I don't think kids know Pac Man, despite Namco's insistent efforts to make crappy Pac Man cartoons and video games aimed at them. They didn't grow up with it like adults did. I don't think Namco's kept Pac-Man relevant the same way Warner Bros has been able to keep the Scooby Doo perpetual motion device operating. The current Pac-Man thing, which is Pac-Man in high school, airs on a second-rate Disney spinoff channel. And that was the first Pac-Man game aimed at kids since.. Pac-Man World 3 in 2007. So a 6-7 year gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

PantsBandit posted:

He just doesn't really have any personality other than "eats dots and ghosts."

Pokemon are just loving animals and there's still like eight of them in Smash 4. Pac-Man is at least a singular dude, I don't understand how anyone can get excited about any Pokemon aside from like Pikachu because he's iconic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

In 2014, I think approximately 100 trillion more people would recognize Pac-Man first.

If I edited that post to say Waluigi would the joke be in a low enough altitude for you to get it?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Bass Bottles posted:

The Pac-Man game mechanics would translate so well to a stage and a final smash, though. The stage would be a Pac-Man maze, but vertical, and his final smash would obviously be everyone turning flashy and blue and unable to do anything except run away from Pac-Man, who then eats them.

It should be the pacman with the black eyes, though, not the blue-eyed abomination that isn't even the real Pac-Man because The real Pac-Man died fighting a ghost genocide or something

The tough part of the pac man stage is that if you knock somebody off the left or right side they just appear on the other end instead.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly? I don't think kids know Pac Man, despite Namco's insistent efforts to make crappy Pac Man cartoons and video games aimed at them. They didn't grow up with it like adults did. I don't think Namco's kept Pac-Man relevant the same way Warner Bros has been able to keep the Scooby Doo perpetual motion device operating. The current Pac-Man thing, which is Pac-Man in high school, airs on a second-rate Disney spinoff channel. And that was the first Pac-Man game aimed at kids since.. Pac-Man World 3 in 2007. So a 6-7 year gap.

You could make the argument about kids not knowing who Pac Man is about Game and Watch, Rob, Ness, Ice Climbers, and Lucas too.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly? I don't think kids know Pac Man, despite Namco's insistent efforts to make crappy Pac Man cartoons and video games aimed at them. They didn't grow up with it like adults did. I don't think Namco's kept Pac-Man relevant the same way Warner Bros has been able to keep the Scooby Doo perpetual motion device operating.

I think he's sort of seeped into culture, though. You can still find the arcade consoles for Pac Man or Ms. Pac Man in local bowling alleys, on ferry boats, and probably in Chuck E. Cheeses across America.

edit: to be clear, I do not really want Pac Man to be a character in Smash Brothers, but would not be opposed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Dos posted:

The tough part of the pac man stage is that if you knock somebody off the left or right side they just appear on the other end instead.

That's already how the Ballon Fighter stage works :v:

Bicyclops posted:

edit: to be clear, I do not really want Pac Man to be a character in Smash Brothers, but would not be opposed.

I'm in the same boat. I really don't care but if Namco has to shill one of their characters, I'd rather it'd be the one iconic guy they have.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Pac-Man is relevant the same way Family Circus is. It's still there in the newspaper, kids have access to it, but how much do kids really care? If Pac-Man's in the game it would be to honor the legacy of his significance to gaming, but it wouldn't be to appeal to an audience or to drive sales, the way that Snake's inclusion would. It would be more of a curtain call.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly? I don't think kids know Pac Man, despite Namco's insistent efforts to make crappy Pac Man cartoons and video games aimed at them. They didn't grow up with it like adults did. I don't think Namco's kept Pac-Man relevant the same way Warner Bros has been able to keep the Scooby Doo perpetual motion device operating.

The modern Pac-Man show is from the guys who made Animaniacs and Freakazoid and is apparently well received among kids. I haven't watched but it supposedly it is actually a better show than you would expect. The Pac-Man games are released for every system under the sun, both in the new and old formats and regularly do very brisk sales. A good chunk of that is probably nostalgia but I really doubt adults are buying the lovely game based on the new cartoon that plays nothing like Pac-Man.

Pac-Man is a lot more relevant than Mega Man is at bare minimum.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 14, 2014

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

RareAcumen posted:

If I edited that post to say Waluigi would the joke be in a low enough altitude for you to get it?

Haha oh, yes. Yes it would.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wonder if it's possible anything from Monster Hunter might make it into the game. I know in Japan it's some sort of phenomenon and it's pretty much Nintendo exclusive at this point.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Pokemon are just loving animals and there's still like eight of them in Smash 4.

I get what you're saying, but this comparison kind of falls apart because each Pokemon comes prepackages with about hundred battle moves, multiple game descriptions, and in most cases multiple appearances on a Saturday morning cartoon..

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I think Pac-Man is relevant the same way Family Circus is. It's still there in the newspaper, kids have access to it, but how much do kids really care? If Pac-Man's in the game it would be to honor the legacy of his significance to gaming, but it wouldn't be to appeal to an audience or to drive sales, the way that Snake's inclusion would. It would be more of a curtain call.

I don't think that's how Namco sees it though, they probably want to boost interest in their new Pac-Man tv show on Disney Channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_and_the_Ghostly_Adventures

They also made a game about this (by most accounts, it's pretty bad)

Militree posted:

I get what you're saying, but this comparison kind of falls apart because each Pokemon comes prepackages with about hundred battle moves, multiple game descriptions, and in most cases multiple appearances on a Saturday morning cartoon..

So does Pac-Man. They're probably not very good cartoons or video games (I don't know) but they exist, even if they are not widely known.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
...I kind of feel people are being obtuse on purpose or something, what is this? People are "hung up" on actually liking nintendo characters and have more emotional attachment to them because they're "annoying nerds" in a thread about a nintendo fighting game? You can't understand why people would like pokemon, nintendo's most popular franchise that sells billions? You can say "video game history" or "sure, pac man's been in games" all you want but its not changing my feelings about pacman compared to any other games I can think of.

Dark souls is like this generation's metal gear solid, I'd be happy with a Dark Souls thing in the game.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

If you're gonna put in the most iconic mascot of videogames, put in Doom Guy.

I would non-ironically play the poo poo out of Doomguy.
He's been on three Nintendo consoles too, so.

Let me dream.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

...I kind of feel people are being obtuse on purpose or something, what is this? People are "hung up" on actually liking nintendo characters and have more emotional attachment to them because they're "annoying nerds" in a thread about a nintendo fighting game? You can't understand why people would like pokemon, nintendo's most popular franchise that sells billions? You can say "video game history" or "sure, pac man's been in games" all you want but its not changing my feelings about pacman compared to any other games I can think of.

Dark souls is like this generation's metal gear solid, I'd be happy with a Dark Souls thing in the game.

Because it's one step above "I think Goku should be in Smash Brothers and I will mention this at every opportunity." It's fine to like a character but it's really tiring when it becomes all-consuming and stuff like Waluigi has done that ten times over.

Dark Souls isn't relevant because it has never been anywhere near a Nintendo system.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 14, 2014

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Rita Repulsa posted:

People aren't talking about Dark Souls because it has nothing to do with Nintendo or Smash in any way. That's great if you don't have any attachment to Pac-Man, but I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

Pac-Man is a lot more relevant than Mega Man is at bare minimum.
I think Mega Man is in the game simply because Sakurai thought his moveset would translate, with all the weapons he's amassed over the years. Otherwise he's just getting his curtain call too.

As for Pac-Man the majority of Pac-related games released in the last 6-7 years are targetted at long-time pac-loving adults, like Namco Museum Remix, Pac-Man Museum, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions, etc. I think that Namco would want you to believe that Pac-Man is still popular with all audiences, but ultimately they know where their bread is buttered.

Disney is kind of the same way with their characters, as Phineas and Ferb have far more popularity now than Mickey or Donald or Goofy currently do. They're faded into the background, even with those new cartoons, which air.. in front of Phineas and Ferb.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 14, 2014

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Rita Repulsa posted:

Wait, Dark Souls is namco? Why the gently caress didn't anyone say something about that, in any other video game thread dark souls would be like the first thing brought up! A dark souls stage or assist trophy or even a character would be great!

Apologies, I forgot they only published outside of Japan. From Soft self published Dark Souls and thus own it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lemming posted:

I wonder if it's possible anything from Monster Hunter might make it into the game. I know in Japan it's some sort of phenomenon and it's pretty much Nintendo exclusive at this point.

This is kind of about namco's representation.

ImpAtom posted:

Because it's one step above "I think Goku should be in Smash Brothers and I will mention this at every opportunity."

What is, saying pac man should be in the game? Saying your favorite nintendo character should be in the game? Saying dark souls should be in the game (which was only now brought up)?

If it's option two I kind of wonder what the point is in even being in a smash bros thread if you feel that way because it's always been mainly talking about your favorite nintendo games.

Zain posted:

Apologies, I forgot they only published outside of Japan. From Soft self published Dark Souls and thus own it.

oh drat it, sorry then. I just googled it and the first link had "by namco bandai" next it it so I just assumed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, it would absolutely be a curtain call. They've been trying to shill his games for years and it's becoming increasingly less relevant. I think those arcade machines will sit gathering dust in a lot of places for a couple of decades, but it would be for legacy reasons.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Looks like I'll have to repost this on how Pac-Man can work.

Part 1
part 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disney is kind of the same way with their characters, as Phineas and Ferb have far more popularity now than Mickey or Donald or Goofy currently do. They're faded into the background, even with those new cartoons, which air.. in front of Phineas and Ferb.

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Mickey Mouse is a less recognizable character worldwide. Like just flat-out kidding yourself. People outside of America are way way more likely to know Mickey or Donald than Phineas and Ferb. Donald Duck and family in particular remains huge overseas.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

As for Pac-Man the majority of Pac-related games released in the last 6-7 years are targetted at long-time pac-loving adults, like Namco Museum Remix, Pac-Man Museum, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions, etc. I think that Namco would want you to believe that Pac-Man is still popular with all audiences, but ultimately they know where their bread is buttered.

Yeah, if you're like 40 then I guess you probably like Pac-Man the game but the target audience for this game probably doesn't even know what an arcade was, and Pac-Man is like the least hype character ever. Like, I would be less excited for this game if they announced Pac-Man.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Noting the significant preemptive internet backlash against the idea of including Pac-Man as a playable character, Sakurai caters to his audience and announces the newest fighter, Ms. Pac-Man.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So since Villager has a Balloon fight move that probably rules out any Balloon fight character huh?

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Put Bill from Contra in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Smash has never had a completely irrelevant charact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqIeMOK4gk

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Still pulling for Gokupants, Sakurai is really dropping the ball on this opportunity. Call me man, I got a lot of good ideas for you about how to conform games to my personal preferences!

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 14, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Pacmans been in a fighting before, dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think Mickey Mouse is a less recognizable character worldwide. Like just flat-out kidding yourself. People outside of America are way way more likely to know Mickey or Donald than Phineas and Ferb. Donald Duck and family in particular remains huge overseas.
Well yeah I'm only talking about in America. But if it's a decision about appealing to Japan, we'd get Wonder Momo instead of Pac-Man, because Namco is making a huge push for the character there, with an anime that's airing this year and everything.

In America, Phineas and Ferb is neck and neck with Spongebob in cable ratings.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I think Mega Man is in the game simply because Sakurai thought his moveset would translate, with all the weapons he's amassed over the years. Otherwise he's just getting his curtain call too.

Aren't those games pretty much downloadable games? I'm pretty sure Namco is cranking out those games because they're cost effective, but their money seems to be geared towards selling stuff to kids (the ongoing cartoon, the retail game they released on pretty much every platforms under the sun based on it), the party game on Wii...

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Who was the anime man with the keysword and Disney friends? I never even played it but that was the dumbest thing ever. Was that even nintendo though? May have been Sony actually...I don't remember. If it was nintendo, he better not be a possibility.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

Who was the anime man with the keysword and Disney friends? I never even played it but that was the dumbest thing ever. Was that even nintendo though? May have been Sony actually...I don't remember. If it was nintendo, he better not be a possibility.

He has nothing to do with Nintendo or SSB other than, oddly, having the same name as Sakurai's company.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

Sora, Kingdom Hearts, absurdly popular, and he's been on Nintendo systems. I doubt he's getting in still, mind, but it wouldn't be the dumbest thing ever for him to get in.

EDIT: Also the Wonder Momo anime was five seven minute episodes. Not exactly a 'huge push.'

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pixeltendo posted:

Looks like I'll have to repost this on how Pac-Man can work.

Part 1
part 2

Are any of these games other then the original games any good?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gutcruncher posted:

Pacmans been in a fighting before, dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwecG0-e0Y

I'm pretty sure even if Pac-man makes it in Smash, he won't have that stupid tree mech.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Just imagine how awesome this would be as a Smash Bros. stage:

This game is so full of obscure old-school references that it's kind of absurd to use his fading popularity as an argument against him. But really, every kid would recognize this Pac-Man stage even if they'd never played the game before in their life.

But it should be this design, not the blue-eyed one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are any of these games other then the original games any good?
I've only played one of the platformers, but it was... alright? It wasn't mindblowing or anything but as 3d mascot platformers go you could do a hell of a lot worse, and it had its moments.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I do not think that Pac-man of all characters would be special enough to get into Sakurai's fighting party game. Who knows, though.

Maybe he liked the new pac man cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I don't know how people can find the non-sprite Pac-Man design so alien unless they've never been to a Namco arcade where his face was literally printed on all the tickets and tokens and half the posters. Non-sprite Pac-Man has always been a smiling ball with a nose, gloves and shoes, there's nothing "new" about his design except for maybe what color his gloves and shoes are.

• Locked thread