Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

FaustianQ posted:

Wow, this is really starting to sound amazing. I'm imagining monetary support, each as a card that supplies you with cash each round to spend on certain things, with restrictions on "platform/policy" cards, which change how you accrue votes and electoral support. Maybe you pander to the base to get the votes, picking up a host of "liabilities" that can hurt you down the road but allows you to pick a more optimized set of platform cards, or compromise with a punch of monetary support cards, narrowing your potential for liabilities but forcing you to spend like crazy to pick up the slack in base appeal.

Maybe you could have a base of archetype "candidate" cards with basic statistics and you get like 3 tokens to adjust your starting levels of "Money", "Appeal", "Crazy" and "Policy"? Money can be the base amount you accrue every turn, Appeal would be the base amount of support you accrue every turn, Crazy would effect a host of mechanics, and Policy could determine how broad or well constructed your set of policy cards can be?

I'll throw in an idea or two, since this sounds kinda fun. I'm picturing a standard Monopoly-style board, with the four sides representing The South, The East Coast, the West Coast, and the Midwest, and as you campaign around the board, you land on different events or TV shows or whatever. The events could be bought using the "resources" posted above, like money or crazy points. If you choose to skip the event, your opponents all get a chance to bid for the event and one of them can win it instead. Each event would have different values, like a NASCAR event could be won by sponsoring a car for money, or by giving the opening prayer with Appeal. As the players finish circling around the board you add up the events you've bought to determine the poll leader. Do X amount of rounds.

You can have similar things like Chance and Community Chest that can go either way. "A kid with an iPhone catches your campaign vehicle running a red light and posts it to YouTube" or "your libel suit against MSNBC is successful" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

thuly posted:

I REALLY want to make this game.

At the end of each turn a player can spend (some resources) to deport one liability, discarding it.

"My opponent says I... but they don't understand how we do things in the South!" - If the liability shares any of your candidate's traits, you may give it to a player with more points instead of discarding it.

E: quick and dirty proto. The Outsider rails on and on about god&jesus&the bible, families, energy reform, and small business. As a washington outsider, countercultural republican voters feel they can trust him since he isn't a lizardman, and trust their mutually insane friends' opinions. I wrote up some probably bad rules at work. Should I take this to another thread?

This game sounds both hilarious and fun. See, rather than some stupid conservative trivia game (trivia games are fun because the questions are really trivial) this sort of game could easily be fun for everyone if written both tongue in cheek and sympathetically (meaning it's not mean-spirited). Nobody wants to play a board game answering conservative trivia. Everyone wants to play Catan: Politics Edition, or Pandemic: Republicans.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Limbaugh is trying to claim that people praising Colbert replacing Letterman is a blatant example of statist groupthink and that anyone who isn't praising the decision is being ostracized, and implying that he is the only person in the media not blowing Colbert currently.

Also he made sure to point out how little he cares about this thing he spent upwards of five minutes talking about.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Limbaugh is trying to claim that people praising Colbert replacing Letterman is a blatant example of statist groupthink and that anyone who isn't praising the decision is being ostracized, and implying that he is the only person in the media not blowing Colbert currently.

Also he made sure to point out how little he cares about this thing he spent upwards of five minutes talking about.

Wow, he must be really upset CBS passed him over for the gig.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Sounds like it occurred to him in the middle of a rant how dumb it is to care about who replaces David Letterman. NO ONES MAD ABOUT THIS WHY IS NO ONE ELSE MAD ABOUT THIS!?!?!

I would venture a guess that he also blames Colbert and TDS for his marginalization.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm a little bit upset about the move because I think that Colbert was doing some excellent work where he was and because I really like Craig Ferguson's show and wanted him to get the job.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's pretty funny considering that Letterman (most likely) hated Limbaugh's guts. See: Limbaugh on Letterman talking about how ugly Hilary Clinton is circa 1993 or 1994.

I think it's been taken off of YouTube so if you can't find it:
Limbaugh goes off about how grotesque and ugly Hilary is and Letterman coldly says that Limbaugh is the pinnacle of human physique.

Limbaugh lost his mind

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
BREAD AND CIRCUSES
Your generous social programs have made you a hit with the voters, but come at the expense of worker motivation and productivity.
Voter popularity +6
GDP -2
Taxes +2%

STAND YOUR GROUND
You take a hard line against gun control legislation, increasing your popularity in rural districts but harming your support in cities and within academic circles.
Voter popularity +2
Crime -1
Press -1
Global image -1

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Can we seriously just make a "D&D: The Board Game" thread? Not because I'm sick of reading it here, but because I would read the poo poo out of it. :aaaaa:

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Phone posted:

It's pretty funny considering that Letterman (most likely) hated Limbaugh's guts. See: Limbaugh on Letterman talking about how ugly Hilary Clinton is circa 1993 or 1994.

Limbaugh goes off about how grotesque and ugly Hilary is and Letterman coldly says that Limbaugh is the pinnacle of human physique.

Limbaugh lost his mind

The video is gone, but the transcript exists http://www.oocities.org/davidletterman82/RushLimbaugh1993Transcript.html

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phone posted:

Limbaugh lost his mind

I was watching that night. Limbaugh gasped like a fish for about 20 seconds while the audience roared in approval.

He tried to recover and get back on track and then Letterman shut him down again by interrupting and asking "Do you ever just say to yourself 'I am just full of hot gas'?".

Limbaugh hasn't done an interview or appearance in a hostile or even neutral venue in the 21 years since then.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

FMguru posted:

I was watching that night. Limbaugh gasped like a fish for about 20 seconds while the audience roared in approval.

He tried to recover and get back on track and then Letterman shut him down again by interrupting and asking "Do you ever just say to yourself 'I am just full of hot gas'?".

Limbaugh hasn't done an interview or appearance in a hostile or even neutral venue in the 21 years since then.

It's not the same incident but there was also a time that Limbaugh guest hosted on Pat Sajak's short-lived talk show. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK4byQkn7w

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm super pissed Colbert is going to do boring late night bullshit I will never watch. Colbert Report is freaking amazing.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm super pissed Colbert is going to do boring late night bullshit I will never watch. Colbert Report is freaking amazing.

I think the first week after Stephen leaves, they should just run the entire show as normal. Same graphics, theme song, title, material, everything down to the letter as much as possible with Jessica Williams as host.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Colbert should offer his show to Rush. Suggesting 'The Colbert Report with Rush Limbaugh' would be a great ego troll.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

skaboomizzy posted:

I think the first week after Stephen leaves, they should just run the entire show as normal. Same graphics, theme song, title, material, everything down to the letter as much as possible with Jessica Williams as host.

Oh man this would be great.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

This but Aasif Mandvi instead of Jessica Williams.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

skaboomizzy posted:

If she claimed, with a straight face, to actually *be* the Stephen Colbert character, I'd watch the hell out of that.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I really want Jessica Williams in this role for just two bits:

- "I'm colorblind. People tell me I'm white, and I believe them."

and

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 14, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

FMguru posted:

quote:

LETTERMAN: Now, how does that happen? Because not everybody can get on a radio station at 16.

LIMBAUGH: My dad owned it.

LETTERMAN: Oh, well, there you go.

My god please tell me someone can find footage of this interview.

edit:

quote:

LETTERMAN: And today you have friends who are athletes, friends who are in sports, football, basketball.

LIMBAUGH: You know, those five years were, in all candour, were some of the best years I ever spent in life, because it was the first time I had been in the real world. I had been behind a microphone in a glass studio.

LETTERMAN: Working for dad.

(Audience laughs)

quote:

LIMBAUGH: No. Let me tell you about Charles Barkley. He's become the best at what he is and what he does. He did it without any help, he did it overcoming a lot of obstacles, and he admires others who have done that, and, of course, I am one, and so we have this natural affinity for one another. We have a lot of things -- well, I've overcome my obstacles too, and am still in the process of overcoming them -- some in this audience, it sounds like -- but that's all right, that's all right.

(Audience laughs and applauds)

I honestly can't tell if he is just a really good troll or just so encased in this delusional fantasy world of his own fabrication.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 14, 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Holy loving poo poo, can anyone reproduce that footage of the Limbaugh interview. I love watching that fat gently caress squirm.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

joeburz posted:

I honestly can't tell if he is just a really good troll or just so encased in this delusional fantasy world of his own fabrication.

rushlimbaughbedroom.jpeg

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Man, all this time I thought he at least bootstrapped his way to a successful radio career. I didn't know his dad owned a loving radio station.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Man, all this time I thought he at least bootstrapped his way to a successful radio career. I didn't know his dad owned a loving radio station.

Even with a rich dad, wasn't he on food stamps at one point?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

isildur posted:

If she claimed, with a straight face, to actually *be* the Stephen Colbert character, I'd watch the hell out of that.

That'd be the best way to take over, just spend the first week being Steven Colbert in every way.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That'd be the best way to take over, just spend the first week being Steven Colbert in every way.

Just have Steve Carrell take over for a week and do this. I would piss myself.

Very very very few people who believe in bootstrapping actually bootstrapped themselves. Usually the ones who pull themselves up know its a loving nightmare to actually do it and try to help others

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 14, 2014

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This article in Glenn Beck's rag sheet The Blaze is amazing for its pretty much even handed treatment of some startling facts about the Nevada almost range war this weekend. Some organizers of the militia showdown were going to ask the women folk to be the first to get shot, if the shooting started; dead women on international news would look the best for their purposes.

quote:

Former Arizona Sheriff Richard Mack revealed on Monday that he and other organizers who traveled to Clark County, Nev., to support Cliven Bundy during his land dispute with the feds planned to put women on the front lines in case the “rogue federal officers” started shooting.

Mack made the chilling revelation on Fox News’ “The Real Story” Monday, two days after the tense standoff between Bundy and the federal government came to a peaceful end.

“We were actually strategizing to put all the women up at the front,” he said. “If they are going to start shooting, it’s going to be women that are going to be televised all across the world getting shot by these rogue federal officers.”

Women's rights right there ya'll.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Glenn Beck is like a libertarian on Reddit who got his own TV show.

He's crazy, but I find him endlessly amusing.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

radical meme posted:

This article in Glenn Beck's rag sheet The Blaze is amazing for its pretty much even handed treatment of some startling facts about the Nevada almost range war this weekend. Some organizers of the militia showdown were going to ask the women folk to be the first to get shot, if the shooting started; dead women on international news would look the best for their purposes.

What's the problem? Women and Cattle are both his property anyways.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You have to be really twisted to wind up as a former sheriff in Arizona, home of Joe Arpaio.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

So the women would be some sort of "human shields". I wonder if anyone has ever thought of this tactic before?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

joeburz posted:

I can't listen to Limbaugh/Hannity/Levin without getting incoherently angry, but at least with my local talking head (Jay Weber in Milwaukee) I'm almost certain he knows he's lying. He's not totally immersed in the bubble, and so when he pulls out the lies his tone of voice shifts and betrays it. Like when saying the UN IPCC council on climate change are liberal loons but the discredited hack scientist who started a competing N(non-governmental)IPCC with generous donations from oil companies is just as scientific as they are, even more. It's blatantly obvious he's bullshitting and he doesn't care, he's just a cowardly prick with no intellectual scruples.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 14, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Was reading up about Limbaugh's early life on Wikipedia when I came across this in the controversies section.

quote:

On the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse scandal, Limbaugh said, "This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation ... And we're going to ruin people's lives over it and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time."[79][80]

Same poo poo, pretty much!

Also I have to really question the integrity of our nation's leaders if in college they willingly allowed themselves to be smeared with feces! :shrek:

But it's really indicative of Limbaugh's whole mentality when "good time" translates to "needlessly inflicting misery upon others".

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 14, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

radical meme posted:

It's probably because Beck has been trying to "distance" himself from the whole nevada mess. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/i-want-nothing-do-you-beck-tells-those-threatening-violence-anti-government-standoff

I have two theories on why. first is that Beck knows if poo poo the fan and if magic CW2 happened. He would be dead man, or if lucky imprison for life for helping fan the flames it. The 2nd is the more obvious one. He is Conman, and he doesn't want ruin his gig of being the new conservative "messiah". Both are dumb, but I find them amusing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rexicon1 posted:

Holy loving poo poo, can anyone reproduce that footage of the Limbaugh interview. I love watching that fat gently caress squirm.

The only copy I knew of was on Youtube, and there's more than a few other sites linking to the same one.

pengun101 posted:

It's probably because Beck has been trying to "distance" himself from the whole nevada mess. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/i-want-nothing-do-you-beck-tells-those-threatening-violence-anti-government-standoff

I have two theories on why. first is that Beck knows if poo poo the fan and if magic CW2 happened. He would be dead man, or if lucky imprison for life for helping fan the flames it. The 2nd is the more obvious one. He is Conman, and he doesn't want ruin his gig of being the new conservative "messiah". Both are dumb, but I find them amusing.

Beck has been "distancing himself" for a while. He looked straight into the camera and said that he was a part of the problem as to why the rhetoric in America has gone to poo poo, then realized it was a day ending in "Y" and continued on doing the same exact poo poo the next night.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

joeburz posted:

My god please tell me someone can find footage of this interview
As I said I remember watching it. Letterman is just leaning back, seemingly only half-interested, and just sort of drops these casual bombs on Limbaugh without breaking a sweat. It's awesome.

Rexicon1 posted:

Very very very few people who believe in bootstrapping actually bootstrapped themselves. Usually the ones who pull themselves up know its a loving nightmare to actually do it and try to help others
They do, but they exaggerate their own efforts in doing so. I remember listening to an interview where young director Jason Reitman (son of Ivan, the director of Ghostbusters and a bunch of other great movies and a certified Name in Hollywood) said that if anything, being his father's son made it harder for him to succeed in Hollywood, because he thought he had an extra level of not-being-taking-seriously to have to break through. He sounded sincere; I wanted to punch a hole in the wall.

The greatest recent example is, of course, Ann Romney talking about how she and Mitt's post-college years were so lean, they actually had to sell some of his stock in order to get by.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

FMguru posted:

As I said I remember watching it. Letterman is just leaning back, seemingly only half-interested, and just sort of drops these casual bombs on Limbaugh without breaking a sweat. It's awesome.
They do, but they exaggerate their own efforts in doing so. I remember listening to an interview where young director Jason Reitman (son of Ivan, the director of Ghostbusters and a bunch of other great movies and a certified Name in Hollywood) said that if anything, being his father's son made it harder for him to succeed in Hollywood, because he thought he had an extra level of not-being-taking-seriously to have to break through. He sounded sincere; I wanted to punch a hole in the wall.

The greatest recent example is, of course, Ann Romney talking about how she and Mitt's post-college years were so lean, they actually had to sell some of his stock in order to get by.

Its a shame Ann didn't get more time in front of a camera. She's a living breathing example of the income gap run awry and she never got smart enough or enough exposure to realize when it is time to shut up, shes a perfect force for progressive movements and I hope someone offers her a TV show.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No matter what your politics are, this game looks like a boring piece of poo poo.

I think I'm going to try to make a politics game centered on conservatives that'd actually be fun to play.

I'm still kicking ideas around in my head, but so far here's what I've got:
Each player is a Republican Presidential hopeful. I suppose I could make a Democratic version of the game too, the point is that everyone is vying for the top spot.
I'm thinking that the game would consist of 10-15 rounds leading up to the primary.
Players draw event cards from a pile and have to make decisions.
Players have to balance resources that may include:
Popularity: Used to win the primary.
Electability: Used to attempt to actually win the presidency
RINO POINTS

Also, while the default win condition is to become president, players may choose to have a secret goal like "Get a show on Fox News"
I'll let you know when I've got the kickstarter up!

How about a "Cards Against Humanity" expansion where they're all "pick two," the first one is the frame set by the dealer, and then players take turns trying adding the second card in an attempt to out-crazy each other. Dealer chooses the winner, and each "debate" is settled after five rounds.
Whoever wins the most debates gets to lose to whomever just puts the most money on the table and gets to set the rules for the next game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Even with a rich dad, wasn't he on food stamps at one point?

I'm not too sure about the food stamps part, but he failed repeatedly in his radio career and I do know for a fact he collected unemployment insurance at the very least for 2 or 3 stretches at a time. Perhaps welfare and food stamps too. Al Franken and Howard Stern touch on it in their books.

The guy failed at and sucked at everything until he learned that being inflammatory and obnoxious generated ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its a shame Ann didn't get more time in front of a camera. She's a living breathing example of the income gap run awry and she never got smart enough or enough exposure to realize when it is time to shut up, shes a perfect force for progressive movements and I hope someone offers her a TV show.
Ann managed to run up a wonderful collection of quotes in 2012 before she was pulled from the trail, mostly of her being upset and not able to believe she has to explain to you morons why her husband was the obvious choice to be president. She was so loving mad that there were people out there who dared to prevent Mitt and her from assuming their destined palce in the White House. Every line out of her mouth made her sound exactly like a rich housewife berating The Help for putting out the wrong tablecloths for the summer cotillion. It was awesome.

I bet she cried into her pillow for two weeks straight after election night.