Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Ok! I'm sorry to bring this question up again but I'm beyond confused and Google has given me a couple different answers, and this is holding up my job search process.

I live in Florida and would like to find a new job out-of-state. New England would be ideal, to be with the rest of my family, but I'm open to other locations too. Obviously employers aren't keen on interviewing and relocating non-locals, and I've gotten several varying answers on what to do.

1) Use my family's address on my cover letter/resume. Ok, but what about when I need to move or go in for an interview? And my resume has my current job listed in Florida - surely this would raise the question of where I am living? I don't like starting things off with a lie.

2) I can tell a white lie and add something to the effect of [relocating to ________ in 2014] under my address on my resume and cover letter. I am ready to take on the burden of relocating if need be but I would really like relocation assistance.

I am leaning towards #2 with a short explanation in my cover letter as well but I'm not sure what to say. I asked Resumes to Interviews to add in something to my cover letter but all they did was suggest option #1 which I honestly think is not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Susical posted:

Ok! I'm sorry to bring this question up again but I'm beyond confused and Google has given me a couple different answers, and this is holding up my job search process.

I live in Florida and would like to find a new job out-of-state. New England would be ideal, to be with the rest of my family, but I'm open to other locations too. Obviously employers aren't keen on interviewing and relocating non-locals, and I've gotten several varying answers on what to do.

1) Use my family's address on my cover letter/resume. Ok, but what about when I need to move or go in for an interview? And my resume has my current job listed in Florida - surely this would raise the question of where I am living? I don't like starting things off with a lie.

2) I can tell a white lie and add something to the effect of [relocating to ________ in 2014] under my address on my resume and cover letter. I am ready to take on the burden of relocating if need be but I would really like relocation assistance.

I am leaning towards #2 with a short explanation in my cover letter as well but I'm not sure what to say. I asked Resumes to Interviews to add in something to my cover letter but all they did was suggest option #1 which I honestly think is not a good idea.
#1 is highly circumstantial, but my reaction to #2 is that nobody's going to offer you relocation assistance to come to a place you said you're moving to anyway.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Misogynist posted:

#1 is highly circumstantial, but my reaction to #2 is that nobody's going to offer you relocation assistance to come to a place you said you're moving to anyway.

Well yeah. I just have no idea how to get the point across that I'm moving so that I won't get thrown into the trash pile. Relocation assistance is not at the top of my worries list right now. Getting interviews and a job is.

Can anyone who has managed to get a job out of state chime in with what they did?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Susical posted:

Well yeah. I just have no idea how to get the point across that I'm moving so that I won't get thrown into the trash pile. Relocation assistance is not at the top of my worries list right now. Getting interviews and a job is.

If you're applying to jobs that would trash your resume for not being local, you can forget about relocation assistance. That's (part of) why they're trashing non-local resumes in the first place.

I'd say mention in the cover letter that you're looking to relocate to Wherever, NH and leave it at that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Susical posted:

Can anyone who has managed to get a job out of state chime in with what they did?

Mention it in your cover letter. I'm in the same boat as you and I start out mentioning I'm already planning on moving and re-iterate at the end.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I skimmed the thread and saw some good advice but nothing specifically related to my situation.

A job I'm getting ready to apply for asks for a resume and "salary history" (nothing about cover letter but of course I'll provide one anyways). I'm worried that if I don't at the very least acknowledge their request that they may not consider my application, but I definitely don't want to give them this information for several reasons. I'm not even really sure what a "Salary History" looks like!

1. I feel I'm underpaid already at my current job given all of my responsibilities
2. I've never actually received a salary before but I would certainly like to
3. My hourly rate now is not a reflection of what it could be in a few months when I've completed my one year review, and I don't want to wait a few months for that potential raise in case the job I'm applying for is filled.

So what are my options? Should I just ignore the request? If so, do you think I should acknowledge their request in some way?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Susical posted:

You might consider just dropping a line in your summary of qualifications area (RTI) that you are "able and ready to relocate" or something to that effect if you don't want to use the family address on your resume.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I just have a quick question. I'm looking for an entry level job and plan on going to my local business area and dropping off a resume/applying for a job at nearly every place. Most are restaurants and/or fast food places with the occasional shop. I was wondering a few things: first, should I just bring a big stack of resumes that are rather generic without a cover letter and give these in with my application? Should I somehow hide the resumes so it appears I have come out to apply for a job at one specific place? Also, I was wondering what appropriate dress would be for this venture. Seems like a shirt and tie might be a bit much for just handing in a resume at a fast food place or restaurant but I have no idea really. I've only had one job at a grocery store that I got through a friend, didn't have to apply or even interview. Should I ask to speak to the manager or just ask if the place is hiring/has an application form I an fill out?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

timp posted:

Should I just ignore the request?

Yes.

sixty ten
Jul 15, 2011
Hello - I have a few questions about writing my first resume. I apologize if a similar question has been asked before. I'm working through the thread now.

I will be graduating in May with a Bachelor of Fine Arts. I want to start applying for in-house creative jobs. I understand that my portfolio is the most important thing that people will be looking at, but I also want my resume to be done well. I'm having trouble figuring out what to actually put on it. I've never had a job before - I had a long internship working for a small business, but I left on a bad note with the owner, so I wouldn't be comfortable putting her name on the resume. All I have right now is my education and that I am proficient in the Adobe creative suite. I have professors as references but I've gotten mixed feedback about whether I should put them on the actual resume.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Do companies care if you've taken Coursera courses on subjects?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
As someone seeking an IT internship I feel like listing projects I've worked in on school is way more valuable than listing the restaurants I've worked in. That being said, do I need to include past work experience if basically none of it is relevant?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just got a strange email from a potential employer:

quote:

Hello Mr. Mak0rz

Thank you for submitting a cover letter and resume in response to our posting for <position>. I will add your resume for review and will contact you if we decide to proceed with a formal interview.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer you one word of advice for future submissions. Please take the time to proof read your submission or better yet have someone else proof read for errors.

Thank You

It's the bolded part that has me really confused. I checked over the cover letter and resume I sent to them again. Everything is fine, including the position name, company name, and other information that they would particularly care about being spelled properly. Why the heck did he bring that up? If this is a canned response then the material he's already receiving must be pretty bad :psyduck:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I just got a strange email from a potential employer:

It's the bolded part that has me really confused. I checked over the cover letter and resume I sent to them again. Everything is fine, including the position name, company name, and other information that they would particularly care about being spelled properly. Why the heck did he bring that up? If this is a canned response then the material he's already receiving must be pretty bad :psyduck:
*proofread

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I would send a kind email back asking him for clarification and to see if there was anything unclear about your resume, with proofread spelled right.

Two can play at this game. :twisted:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
How's the grammar? Are you missing commas, hyphens, apostrophes, or some other form of punctuation? Did you drop a particle here or there?

(Don't burn bridges, no matter how small. Not over something so simple like this. Not that there was ever much of a bridge to begin with, though.)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would be pretty tempted to reply with "proof read (sic)"

I mean, you absolutely shouldn't, but drat.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I would send a kind email back asking him for clarification and to see if there was anything unclear about your resume

Yeah, I guess it couldn't hurt to do this. My phone decided to kill itself yesterday so it is possible he tried to call it and couldn't get through and figured I typoed my phone number or something, but wouldn't he just end up getting voicemail? :iiam:

totalnewbie posted:

How's the grammar? Are you missing commas, hyphens, apostrophes, or some other form of punctuation? Did you drop a particle here or there?

Nope, it's fine!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 11, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
You might also have someone who isn't you proofread it. Sometimes I'll make a mistake that's staring me in the face and I just keep overlooking.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KernelSlanders posted:

You might also have someone who isn't you proofread it. Sometimes I'll make a mistake that's staring me in the face and I just keep overlooking.

Yeah, I did have a few grammatical blips after all. I replied to him thanking him for the consideration and to let me know if any part of my application were unclear. He quoted this from my cover letter in response (emphasis his):

quote:

You will find I am an ideal candidate an <position> . . . communicate information large audiences and . . .

Looks like my crime was accidentally leaving out a "for" and a "to." He then told me to "leave out the obvious clichés" and just focus on how I meet the requirements of the job.

Oh well. Back in the saddle I guess :shobon:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, poo poo like that happens, too bad he held it against you. It can be really hard to identify any errors that you've written when they're so minor. Always good to have someone else proofread if you are able.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

quote:

Looks like my crime was accidentally leaving out a "for" and a "to." He then told me to "leave out the obvious clichés" and just focus on how I meet the requirements of the job.

A good idea can be to read every word out loud and listen to how it sounds. How would you think it read if it was someone else telling you what was written?

I like a lot of the advice in this thread. Many of the guides I read online are from years ago or for particular industries, I had never even considered something like not including my education or referees on a resume before, but the way it just trims it down to the essential information is great. To actually look at what you do and what you have done and as quantifiable skills, like saying to yourself 'I've worked in a team, but with how many people? I serve customers, but how many might I serve daily? How much profit might I personally bring to the company I work for?' is a really good way of properly understanding how you perform as a worker, and it allows you to even set goals in your current work place - if you suddenly start thinking of ways to sell more product or get more people through the door or whatever it can be really motivating, it becomes a thing you can actually put down on your resume and you can say 'I was the one who did this', even if you did it with some help, you were still part of the group that did it and teamwork is also a valuable skill, so is being able to make a plan of action, and execute it through to completion.
When I started to look at my resume as a list of achievements it occurred to me that many of the dot points I had listed were just describing the job in a general way, instead of telling anyone what I was personally capable of or had done in that work place.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I did have a few grammatical blips after all. I replied to him thanking him for the consideration and to let me know if any part of my application were unclear. He quoted this from my cover letter in response (emphasis his):

Oh well. Back in the saddle I guess :shobon:
It might not seem like it now, but this recruiter did you a favor. This is clearly a work environment where the ability to be smarmy and anal-retentive towards one another is valued over the ability to get meaningful work done with imperfect people.

If you want to have a fun time, you might try explaining that to the recruiter's supervisor. You probably should, anyway - people like that have no business being arbiters of a company's culture and workforce.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
A friend referred me to this site. I applied and they called me back the very next day. This is the first opportunity that I've ever had anyone respond to this quickly, and I've been applying to jobs for the past 4-5 months.

Allegedly, my friend is claiming that he was told the pay for this is $66,000 a year. For an internship. And they'll train you and then place you in the company. Doesn't this all seem too good to be true?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Misogynist posted:

It might not seem like it now, but this recruiter did you a favor. This is clearly a work environment where the ability to be smarmy and anal-retentive towards one another is valued over the ability to get meaningful work done with imperfect people.

Oh I believe you. After that second email he sent I was kind of relieved that I didn't have a fat enough superiority complex to work for them.

Misogynist posted:

If you want to have a fun time, you might try explaining that to the recruiter's supervisor. You probably should, anyway - people like that have no business being arbiters of a company's culture and workforce.

I don't think he was a recruiter but rather the person I would be answering to if I got the job. He helped me dodge a bullet regardless. I'm desperate for a job, but working for people with obvious chips on their shoulders probably won't be good for me.

I'm not sure how I would go about contacting this guy's supervisor anyway.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So I got a call back from one of my job interviews today, and they explicitly told me I was the exact candidate they were looking for but they were not going to offer me the position because my husband is in the military. This is illegal, isn't it? Is there anything I can do about it other than be angry about it for a little while then continue applying elsewhere?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So I got a call back from one of my job interviews today, and they explicitly told me I was the exact candidate they were looking for but they were not going to offer me the position because my husband is in the military. This is illegal, isn't it? Is there anything I can do about it other than be angry about it for a little while then continue applying elsewhere?

Legally they may discriminate against you, but not him. There's nothing you can do. Sucks, but that's the law.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Call your local news investigative team; they'll eat that poo poo up :v:

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

the posted:

A friend referred me to this site. I applied and they called me back the very next day. This is the first opportunity that I've ever had anyone respond to this quickly, and I've been applying to jobs for the past 4-5 months.

Allegedly, my friend is claiming that he was told the pay for this is $66,000 a year. For an internship. And they'll train you and then place you in the company. Doesn't this all seem too good to be true?

It actually seems to be pretty legit. 99% of the time if you want to know if a company/position is a scam, googling "<company> scam" will tell you in about 30 seconds. As far as I can tell this is Metlife operating a ... technology hub (?) somewhere?

http://www.triplepundit.com/podium/metlife-opens-research-innovation-hub-north-carolina/

I'm more confused about what your friend was told though. It depends on the field but internships don't typically last a full year so I wonder if he is extrapolating. That pay is high but not ridiculous (it's not uncommon for engineering internships to pay $25-35/hr at good companies)

Anyway, it's worth looking into. I don't see any obvious signs of a real scam like a group interview where they spring on you that it's a 100% commission sales job and you have to buy a startup kit for $400 or something. I mean they seem to have real job postings and everything *shrug*

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Yeah they're building a rather large facility about 6 miles from where I live. Thanks. Cross your fingers for 9am tomorrow :ohdear:.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Mention it in your cover letter. I'm in the same boat as you and I start out mentioning I'm already planning on moving and re-iterate at the end.

Agreed with this. Got a job offer 2000 miles away. Just notated that I'm moving to city X on date Y in the first paragraph of my cover letter and on resume.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Agreed with this. Got a job offer 2000 miles away. Just notated that I'm moving to city X on date Y in the first paragraph of my cover letter and on resume.

Ok thanks! I will try this.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
What's standard procedure for whether you should bother with a cover letter when you're applying for a listing by the company you're currently working at. Saw an opening today of a job I have been keeping my eye out for and I wasn't sure if I should bother uploading a cover letter since I feel kind of silly being like "I would be a good fit because of all this valuable experience I gained while working for you guys."

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Lilli posted:

What's standard procedure for whether you should bother with a cover letter when you're applying for a listing by the company you're currently working at. Saw an opening today of a job I have been keeping my eye out for and I wasn't sure if I should bother uploading a cover letter since I feel kind of silly being like "I would be a good fit because of all this valuable experience I gained while working for you guys."

That sounds basically like a good cover letter to me but I'm an idiot undergrad that can't find an internship.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Lilli posted:

You should absolutely write a cover letter and include that. Use it to brag about specific teams you have relationships with, projects you've worked on, people you know, and the like that are relevant to the new role.

This is the best time to use cover letters because there is a very high chance they will be read.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Bisty Q. posted:

You should absolutely write a cover letter and include that. Use it to brag about specific teams you have relationships with, projects you've worked on, people you know, and the like that are relevant to the new role.

This is the best time to use cover letters because there is a very high chance they will be read.

Alright, thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to submit one!

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
How long does GPA stay on your resume after graduation? I know some employers look for it (even ATS screen on them), but it's been quite a few years since college and it kind of seems silly to have it on there. Graduate school is more recent, but even that was a few years ago now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

How long does GPA stay on your resume after graduation? I know some employers look for it (even ATS screen on them), but it's been quite a few years since college and it kind of seems silly to have it on there. Graduate school is more recent, but even that was a few years ago now.
I stopped putting it on before I even graduated and it hasn't hurt me, but I think it's one of those things that's highly circumstantial depending on the field that you're applying in. I'm a software engineer and nobody cares, but it would probably be more of a selling point if I was trying to get a job as a lawyer.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!
A job I'm applying to has requested three professional references be included with the resume and cover letter. I'm completing my masters this semester, so it seems logical to me that I include two of my professors who served on my committee as two of the references. They know me the best and I've worked under them for awhile now. The third reference would be my manager from a former retail job who I am still in contact with and remain friends with. I have other former jobs/internships more suited to my career path, but haven't really kept in touch with them as much as I probably should have.

Are these three individuals an good choice? I've contacted them all ahead of time of course, but I'm concerned about the lack of diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Retail supervisor isn't ideal, but if you don't have other non-school references, I think it's fine. The professors are fine, given that you are just coming out of school.

KernelSlanders posted:

I'd say first job is enough, or if you're switching jobs a lot, first few years out of college at most. Plus you went to grad school, so no one should care about your undergrad GPA. I don't know if it's common practice to list graduate school GPA, but it seems like it should be unnecessary as well given that the expectation is your GPA is good.