Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Trump posted:

The rod showing was clearly an error.

You're doing this wrong, the correct way is to say that 'the metal rod is a legacy feature of lightsabers of the post-clone wars universe where most of the great lightsaber crafters were killed and new ones had to relearn how to make them...' :colbert:

Edit: drat new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how much of this was planned out but Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I mainly liked how in the very opening sequence, when he's out running and the other guy is jogging, we have a few laughs at how much faster he is and just running so many miles non stop. During their conversation after the run, the one guy is completely pooped and Cap hasn't even broken a sweat, his shirt is completely bone dry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Stavrogin posted:

My gut is that it is, and is likelier due to advances in special effects tech than any planned thing. In the old days before the DVD and Lucas covered his tracks, lightsabers in RoTJ were much clearer and brighter than in ANH, just because they learned how to film it better-- you could even see the metal rod Obi-Wan uses in certain angles. Why wouldn't it be the same with ghost Ben?

I'm sure the poster knew that but using lore explanations for poor special effects is a science fiction film tradition.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Trump posted:

The rod showing was clearly an error.

It actually pisses me off to no end that Lucas would put mentally challenged CGI monsters in every Star Wars movie to "enhance the experience" while ignoring the lovely rotoscoping on some lightsabers/spaceships that could actually use brightening up.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Razorwired posted:

It actually pisses me off to no end that Lucas would put mentally challenged CGI monsters in every Star Wars movie to "enhance the experience" while ignoring the lovely rotoscoping on some lightsabers/spaceships that could actually use brightening up.

Those freakin' boxes around the TIE fighters on the DVD always pissed me off. How does that make it in?

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
I know it's not a movie, but I noticed something new in a Futurama episode last night.

When Bender goes through the robot version of the car wash, his puts his antenna down.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Watched Ghostbusters for the billionth time today, and I noticed a little detail I'd never caught before. When Gozer tells the boys to choose the form of their destructor, Peter starts rambling and explains that, if they think of J. Edgar Hoover, J. Edgar Hoover will appear and kill them all. Now, since Pete mentioned Mr. Hoover, obviously he thought of him, which means he should have summoned him... but, if you watch Ray's expression, you can see that he sinks into a thoughtful/worried expression before Peter starts talking. He'd already thought about the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Watched Ghostbusters for the billionth time today, and I noticed a little detail I'd never caught before. When Gozer tells the boys to choose the form of their destructor, Peter starts rambling and explains that, if they think of J. Edgar Hoover, J. Edgar Hoover will appear and kill them all. Now, since Pete mentioned Mr. Hoover, obviously he thought of him, which means he should have summoned him... but, if you watch Ray's expression, you can see that he sinks into a thoughtful/worried expression before Peter starts talking. He'd already thought about the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

But he didn't really choose J. Edgar Hoover either, he just threw it out there as a hypothetical. "Think of" were Venkman's words, Gozer's were "choose." Maybe the Goze can tell the difference?

That way, you can think of something really good instead of just being annihilated by the first thing that comes to mind. :v:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not that subtle but I liked that the new Captain America had a Dr. Strange name drop. We keep joking at work that they need to do a Dr. Strange movie but make it a 70s period piece with V neck shirt showing copious chest hair and a velvet cape.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm hoping the name drop is a hint towards a future plan. I mean hell they're doing an Ant Man movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There was also a brief shot of the Baxter building including the fantastic 4 symbol in the movie. Although Fox still owns the right to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Stark/Avengers Tower.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Razorwired posted:

Well, we're six Star Wars films in and the lightsabers still don't cast light on people.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I was a kid I thought lightsabers were awesome because if you didn't have a flashlight you could just use your sword.

I think it was inspired by my Playskool (why did they misspell "school"?) flashlight:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I think it was inspired by my Playskool (why did they misspell "school"?)

Probably because you can't trademark 'playschool'.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Hughlander posted:

Not that subtle but I liked that the new Captain America had a Dr. Strange name drop. We keep joking at work that they need to do a Dr. Strange movie but make it a 70s period piece with V neck shirt showing copious chest hair and a velvet cape.

They did this is Spider-Man 2 as well, when thinking of a name for Dr Octopus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm hoping the name drop is a hint towards a future plan. I mean hell they're doing an Ant Man movie.

Matthew Modine is already dropping open hints that he'd like the title role. Possibly he knows something we don't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Alternatively, Play School is a famous children's show in Australia, so it might already be taken.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Not unless you want a visit from Big Ted.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

qntm posted:

Well, we're six Star Wars films in and the lightsabers still don't cast light on people.

I ain't really a fan of Star Wars, but I do remember some scenes where they fight in very low light and are lit by their lightswords™.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I ain't really a fan of Star Wars, but I do remember some scenes where they fight in very low light and are lit by their lightswords™.

Yeah, I think it was at the end of Attack of the Clones.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

qntm posted:

Yeah, original trilogy lightsabers did not give off light and even HAD SHADOWS. New trilogy poo poo and video games, they do.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Officer Farva posted:

Yeah, I think it was at the end of Attack of the Clones.

Out of all of the things to be annoyed about in the prequel trilogy, I'm embarrassed to say that this pisses me off the most. This isn't the best picture example, because honestly I don't feel like wasting the time grabbing screenshots, but in every lightsaber fight between a human and a CGI character, the CGI character gets lit by the lightsabers and the actual human doesn't.

The same problem also happens in the original trilogy, but at least it's internally consistent so you it doesn't stand out as much (at least, if you didn't do theatre lighting in the past and get annoyed by weird lighting crap, thanks high school!). Take this classic shot of Luke and Vader fighting in the dark, and not only are they not lit up by the lightsabers, but there are no reflections off of Vader's polished helmet (ha ha) that reflects light in most other shots:

I'd say that scene still works, while the human vs. CGI lighting effects bugs the hell out of me.

benito has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Apr 14, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I know dozens of Star Wars species and planets off the top of my head but I can't imagine possibly caring about the lighting of lightsabers.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

benito posted:

Out of all of the things to be annoyed about in the prequel trilogy, I'm embarrassed to say that this pisses me off the most. This isn't the best picture example, because honestly I don't feel like wasting the time grabbing screenshots, but in every lightsaber fight between a human and a CGI character, the CGI character gets lit by the lightsabers and the actual human doesn't.

The same problem also happens in the original trilogy, but at least it's internally consistent so you it doesn't stand out as much (at least, if you didn't do theatre lighting in the past and get annoyed by weird lighting crap, thanks high school!). Take this classic shot of Luke and Vader fighting in the dark, and not only are they not lit up by the lightsabers, but there are no reflections off of Vader's polished helmet (ha ha) that reflects light in most other shots:

I'd say that scene still works, while the human vs. CGI lighting effects bugs the hell out of me.

Uh, Christopher Lee seems quite green there. What do you mean humans aren't lit?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

canepazzo posted:

Uh, Christopher Lee seems quite green there. What do you mean humans aren't lit?

It's not the best example, but he's got two bright lights in front of his face yet his face is dark, and he's closer to the red light. Yoda has both red and green lights showing all of his face.

If you watch the scene, you can see it in action. Pay attention when they stop and hold up their lightsabers. Yoda's face gets lit, Dooku's doesn't:

Yoda vs. Dooku

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ThatPazuzu posted:

I know dozens of Star Wars species and planets off the top of my head but I can't imagine possibly caring about the lighting of lightsabers.

It's more of a caring about movie making rather than the story. I don't have a webpage devoted to this irritation and I don't burn any calories being angry at George Lucas about it, but I suppose it does count as a subtle, if crappy movie moment.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

Oh, ok well I guess no one else should either.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

benito posted:

It's not the best example, but he's got two bright lights in front of his face yet his face is dark, and he's closer to the red light. Yoda has both red and green lights showing all of his face.

If you watch the scene, you can see it in action. Pay attention when they stop and hold up their lightsabers. Yoda's face gets lit, Dooku's doesn't:

Yoda vs. Dooku

In the Anakin vs. Dooku fight literally minutes before this, there's a moment when they cut a cable and the lights flicker out. They're only lit by the lightsabers in that moment.

also who really gives a poo poo

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've just rewatched Inception, and finally realised something that had been bugging me for a bit. Once they're all in the dream, it just so turns out that most of the characters are surprisingly good in a firefight, to the point where they quite easily hold their own against a hugely superior force. Until now I've always chalked that up to basic movie conventions, but then a thing occured to me: Earlier it was mentioned that the whole deam-sharing deal was developed by the military. So of course naturally the people who are the very best in the buisness of Extraction/Inception would have been those who were a part of it from the very beginning. So it's pretty likely that Cobb and the other pros had all been soldiers when they got into the whole thing, explaining their combat experience. In hindsight it's really kind of obvious, but it's kinda neat how they just implied/explained that with a single line without having to explicitly exposit it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I always liked how the dreamers were the main people pulling off insane stuff (Yusuf's driving, Arthur's kung fu, Eames being some kind of special ops commando). I like how it ties into the concept of lucid dreaming: having (more) control over your dream by being aware that you are in a/your dream.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Perestroika posted:

I've just rewatched Inception, and finally realised something that had been bugging me for a bit. Once they're all in the dream, it just so turns out that most of the characters are surprisingly good in a firefight, to the point where they quite easily hold their own against a hugely superior force. Until now I've always chalked that up to basic movie conventions, but then a thing occured to me: Earlier it was mentioned that the whole deam-sharing deal was developed by the military. So of course naturally the people who are the very best in the buisness of Extraction/Inception would have been those who were a part of it from the very beginning. So it's pretty likely that Cobb and the other pros had all been soldiers when they got into the whole thing, explaining their combat experience. In hindsight it's really kind of obvious, but it's kinda neat how they just implied/explained that with a single line without having to explicitly exposit it.

That's a good explanation, but I always just chalked it up to "it's a dream". I mean, I'm sure I could dream about being way more competent at things than I really am.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I thought it was just some kind of Matrix-y "I know kung-fu" imagination stuff.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Perestroika posted:

Cobb was an architect. They flat out state that in the film - the army had to give the technology to architects to build the levels. The only reason he hires a second architect is because if he knows the layout, his imaginary wife will turn up and kill everyone.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Cobb was an architect. They flat out state that in the film - the army had to give the technology to architects to build the levels. The only reason he hires a second architect is because if he knows the layout, his imaginary wife will turn up and kill everyone.
She wasn't imaginary. She was right all along. She is diving into his dreams to get him to wake up. Inception as a movie never leaves Cobb's dreamworld(s).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Paper Diamonds posted:

She wasn't imaginary. She was right all along. She is diving into his dreams to get him to wake up. Inception as a movie never leaves Cobb's dreamworld(s).

Was this confirmed somewhere? Or is this just the argument that's happened since it came out only now behind spoiler tags giving the impression it's 100% fact?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I always liked how the dreamers were the main people pulling off insane stuff (Yusuf's driving, Arthur's kung fu, Eames being some kind of special ops commando). I like how it ties into the concept of lucid dreaming: having (more) control over your dream by being aware that you are in a/your dream.

It always kind of bugged me that Ellen Paige's character showed that the 'builder' had almost total conscious control over the dream world, but they never use that to their tactical advantage against the projections. Maybe they're afraid it will make it worse or something, but they should have nearly godlike power dammit.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Len posted:

Was this confirmed somewhere? Or is this just the argument that's happened since it came out only now behind spoiler tags giving the impression it's 100% fact?
It's purposefully ambiguous. Believe what you'd like.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jabby posted:

It always kind of bugged me that Ellen Paige's character showed that the 'builder' had almost total conscious control over the dream world, but they never use that to their tactical advantage against the projections. Maybe they're afraid it will make it worse or something, but they should have nearly godlike power dammit.

They specifically showed that the more the builder influenced the world in ways that deviated from whats normal, the more the dreamer's subconscious would turn on her and attack her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

jabby posted:

Well, nothing goes according to plan because Fischer's subconscious is protected against their extraction. They have to play it stealthy, because otherwise their subconsciousness will home in on them and kill them (which would put them in limbo).