Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

At one of my companies clients, it was hot the last few days so they left the windows open over the course of the weekend because the building would not start the AC, similarly the main network equipment room has no cooling so that door was too left open.

So come today we get a ticket and I paraphrase

:psyduck::parrot:

tocks get socks, ticks get chicks :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

At one of my companies clients, it was hot the last few days so they left the windows open over the course of the weekend because the building would not start the AC, similarly the main network equipment room has no cooling so that door was too left open.

Arrived onsite and verified issue as described.
Installed several bird deterrents in office near server closet.
Issue resolved; closed ticket.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

This is affecting (egg) production!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If there was ever a time to post cat pics in a ticket, that is it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

xtothez posted:

I have to flatten and re-install all new computers as 32-bit Win7, and we can't upgrade the terminal servers past Server 2008.

Virtual machines? I mean, depends on how confused/inconvenienced the masses would be...

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

Arrived onsite and verified issue as described.
Installed several bird deterrents in office near server closet.
Issue resolved; closed ticket.

Need approved vendor and PO for shotgun, bird loads, and calls.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

Virtual machines? I mean, depends on how confused/inconvenienced the masses would be...

Yeah or dosbox even...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
One of our printers started throwing an error code so we put a sign on it while we figured it out.

Someone made a wonderful addition.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

So... the coffee machine in the IT department broke this morning. It lasted about 5 minutes before some smartarse stuck this to it

That person lasted about 3 minutes longer than the image! This is one of those days when I almost felt sorry for the users.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

WhoNeedsAName posted:

That person lasted about 3 minutes longer than the image!

What? :ohdear:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Yeah I'm wondering too. Be a real lovely way to get let go.

"You posted a meme on the coffee machine, pack your things"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pr0digal posted:

I am hoping that this person had a long history of being a turd or this IT dept is the most sensitive bunch of babies ever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

pr0digal posted:

Maybe it's the bad sentence structure in the second sentence.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Hey man that's a lot of wasted black ink!

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Yeah, lovely sentence structure, sorry. We sent him out on a coffee run and replaced the SATA data cables in his PC with ones that were broken. It took him 3 hours to figure it out. He actually did more work today than I've ever seen him do.

Too bad it was on his own PC and not actually clearing any of the tickets that have piled up over the past week or so.

Sickening posted:

I am hoping that this person had a long history of being a turd or this IT dept is the most sensitive bunch of babies ever.

We aren't allowed to sack him yet but he is completely useless. He's the other first-line tech who got hired because I spend most of the time dealing with the network and holy gently caress I want rid of him. Apparently blatantly not doing the job and pinning cat memes everywhere is not enough for dismissal. Needless to say he won't be getting through probation.

I'm also not discounting the fact that myself and the database engineer are complete infants if we miss out hourly intake of caffeine.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Yeah, lovely sentence structure, sorry. We sent him out on a coffee run and replaced the SATA data cables in his PC with ones that were broken. It took him 3 hours to figure it out. He actually did more work today than I've ever seen him do.

Too bad it was on his own PC and not actually clearing any of the tickets that have piled up over the past week or so.

We aren't allowed to sack him yet but he is completely useless. He's the other first-line tech who got hired because I spend most of the time dealing with the network and holy gently caress I want rid of him. Apparently blatantly not doing the job and pinning cat memes everywhere is not enough for dismissal. Needless to say he won't be getting through probation.

I'm also not discounting the fact that myself and the database engineer are complete infants if we miss out hourly intake of caffeine.

Did you serious just purposefully break his computer and then criticize him for not working his tickets? :psyduck:

Not saying that this guy might be useless, but you guys aren't sounding like you are loving joys work with either.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Man gently caress that, replacing the sata drives of someone in first line, depending on what they support (if its hardware, fair enough) is really lovely. I wouldn't expect most of the first line guys I work with to know what would have gone wrong there.

Although to be fair, i'm first line. Its kinda one of the reasons I was so pissed about being put here during the support restructure, I should be second line dammit!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, gently caress, I would replace the drives before I replaced the cables.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If all my SATA devices just stopped being detected I'd be raising a ticket with Dell to get a new board. I'm not sure how you expected someone to narrow down all the devices failing at once = all the cables being bad at the same time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Another fun prank is removing commas and semicolons from a bunch of lines of code.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Pranks that actually involve loving up somebody else's hardware/software are all idiot high school poo poo and are/probably should be fireable offenses

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tehloki posted:

Pranks that actually involve loving up somebody else's hardware/software are all idiot high school poo poo and are/probably should be fireable offenses
I'm taking screenshots and submitting them to WhoNeedsANames HR right now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Honestly, it sounds like you're the one who needs to be let go, and this dude needs to get coworkers that don't suck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
He should steal your house key and replace it with a similar looking but differently cut copy as a ~*~hilarious prank~*~ and see how long it takes you to figure it out.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We have an on call rota and last weekend was my turn. I call came in ... all printers won't print, not a site I've ever worked at before.

Check the usual stuff, restart print spool, which restarted fine... cleared the spool files and restarted spool.. still no joy.

Try to log on to the printer, not working... no ping, ok try another one, weird no ping either...

Called site back, hey user - what does the LED screen say on the printer? 5/6 and it's just stuck (it's part of the HP 'printer boot' if you haven't used HP before) - ok user go find another printer what does that say? the same! ok a third just to be sure? the same. Weird.

So I ping the canon photocopier - works fine. Site is 300 miles away so I call the local manager to advise I have shared their photo copier to allow them urgent printing (there is nothing urgent on a sunday really) and he should check it out first thing tomorrow (i.e. today)

We had a call this afternoon so I asked what the problem was - apparently a hard drive failed in the RAID and when he replaced it everything went back to normal. I kind of want to say driver on the dead drive but they have several brands of HP printers - perhaps a particular shared file among the drivers? I'm not sure... weird one anyway!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tehloki posted:

I yanked a few components from my coworker's sound card (this was back in the late 90s before every motherboard had built in audio) because he wouldn't stop playing loving smooth jazz all the time. He never figured out why his sound suddenly stopped working.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Have you considered talking to him like a person, finding out if he needs help/why he's slacking, and not being a really lovely co-worker?

angry armadillo posted:

We had a call this afternoon so I asked what the problem was - apparently a hard drive failed in the RAID and when he replaced it everything went back to normal. I kind of want to say driver on the dead drive but they have several brands of HP printers - perhaps a particular shared file among the drivers? I'm not sure... weird one anyway!
Depending on how the printers were set up, it could have just been a lazy tech installing the Generic HP PCL6 driver or whatever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've had a hosed up computer kill a whole network because it was spamming the network at max rate or something. While that computer was plugged in nothing else could use the network.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Collateral Damage posted:

I yanked a few components from my coworker's sound card (this was back in the late 90s before every motherboard had built in audio) because he wouldn't stop playing loving smooth jazz all the time. He never figured out why his sound suddenly stopped working.

If we're all confessing to poo poo, once I put a small device that occasionally, irregularly, softly beeped inside a coworker's desk network switch. It was hilarious. It didn't stop him from working, I was eventually repranked at some point, and it wasn't done because we all hated him.

The sata cable thing is a dick move, though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

WhatsAName's "prank" is a good example of what we were talking about over april fools day. Not really a prank, just causes tedious confusion for a couple hours. And it falls into another category that makes pranks unfunny, basically bullying.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Depending on how the printers were set up, it could have just been a lazy tech installing the Generic HP PCL6 driver or whatever.
I have never heard of this and would bet it was the cause - what is the problem with this practice?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

angry armadillo posted:

I have never heard of this and would bet it was the cause - what is the problem with this practice?

Not always compatible, can fail in weird ways, sometimes missing features specific to model of printer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

WhatsAName's "prank" is a good example of what we were talking about over april fools day. Not really a prank, just causes tedious confusion for a couple hours. And it falls into another category that makes pranks unfunny, basically bullying.

I just people like him funny sometimes. They are such total shitlords yet they are oblivious to it in every way.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 14, 2014

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

KoRMaK posted:

Most of the people at the office do the same "prank". If you leave your cell phone(personal one mind you) or computer unlocked you will find goatse or another shock site as your desktop background. Occasionally you will also have your desktop rotated as well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0digal posted:

One of our printers started throwing an error code so we put a sign on it while we figured it out.

Someone made a wonderful addition.

When the espresso machine broke at the coffee bar, the baristas put up a picture of a cup of coffee crying coffee out of its eyes into a puddle it was sitting in.

I swear it looked like the cup was crying blood :psypop:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

When the espresso machine broke at the coffee bar, the baristas put up a picture of a cup of coffee crying coffee out of its eyes into a puddle it was sitting in.

I swear it looked like the cup was crying blood :psypop:

In a sense it kind of was.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

angry armadillo posted:

Well, I'm just building on your theory - that a disk in the array was responsible for the driver. If the technician thought "Eh, I'll just install these printers on the print server with the same driver to save time", as soon as the disk went, poof.

(Please note, I'm really bad at anything past first-line support level. I'm sorry if what I've said appears really stupid because it probably is.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Most of the people at the office do the same "prank". If you leave your cell phone(personal one mind you) or computer unlocked you will find goatse or another shock site as your desktop background. Occasionally you will also have your desktop rotated as well.
My usual prank is going into mouse settings and setting the offending user's mouse to left handed.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A ticket came in. ESXi on one of our appliances apparently lost most networking capability on both members of an HA pair at the same time on machines that host border firewalls. This is obviously not good. VMWare, of course, can't be convinced to give us support, and I have no idea what to do with ESXi beyond "reboot it", which isn't helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Well, I'm just building on your theory - that a disk in the array was responsible for the driver. If the technician thought "Eh, I'll just install these printers on the print server with the same driver to save time", as soon as the disk went, poof.

(Please note, I'm really bad at anything past first-line support level. I'm sorry if what I've said appears really stupid because it probably is.)

Ha no

Heh, no not at all, it's my fault I mis-read the generic driver part. I think my brain unconsciously thought 'surely no one is that dumb'

I thought you meant using the appropriate PCL6 driver was bad and we should be using PCL5 or PS or something!

My boss told me about a prank where he would remotely increase the double click delay to something massive so the user would click, see something not load, that's strange... Try again... Wtf... Click click click... 30 seconds later a load of program's appear.

I never checked to see if that's possible or if it was just a story

• Locked thread