Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Keiya posted:

... Yknow, installing a helicopter mod would probably have been a saner way to get on top of a mountain than the parachute-induced intentional crash of an airplane I did.

I don't have the .craft file for this anymore, but it's pretty reasonable to make a VTOL spaceplane and use MechJeb to keep it steady.

The trick is making sure the center of balance won't shift, and then getting the thrusters placed just right, but reaction wheels give you a little bit of wiggle room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Silver Alicorn posted:

The trick is making sure the center of balance won't shift
A fuel balancing plugin is pretty essential for those kinds of shenanigans. TAC fuel balancer is the the classic one, but I saw this plugin a little while ago which does some of the same things but is waaaay easier to use.

TAC can do intelligent things like manage CoM by taking both fuel weight and the rest of the parts into account and things like that. Goodspeed in contrast is "dumb", it moves fuel by two simple rules (move high->low or balance). But simplicity is nice and it's also persistently saved -- you can set it up in construction and never need to mess with it during flight.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't have the .craft file for this anymore, but it's pretty reasonable to make a VTOL spaceplane and use MechJeb to keep it steady.

The trick is making sure the center of balance won't shift, and then getting the thrusters placed just right, but reaction wheels give you a little bit of wiggle room.

I'm explicitly running my campaign without mechjeb. Occasionally I'll have it fly a new design for me in a separate install, if I'm wanting things like watching its limit-to-terminal-velocity behavior, but my main install doesn't have it because when I install it, I end up relying on it so much that I get bored.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUBhn3_P3hU
This is cool as hell, and I'm now doing a Duna mission in similar style.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

haveblue posted:

The main thing Kerbal Engineer will do that Mechjeb won't is give you TWRs for planets other than Kerbin.

In the assembly building. Mechjeb does display local TWR in other spheres of influence.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't know that had been added to Mechjeb, but the VAB is really where TWRs are the most useful. Not like you can meaningfully change them once you get there.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Falken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUBhn3_P3hU

The Red, White and Blue parachutes are a nice touch :911:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Maybe it's because I'm not from the USA, but I just saw that as a way to easily visual ID the parachutes upon landing on the Martian surface.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I want a Kubble Space Telescope.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60750-WIP-Cacteye-Telescope-v0-1-%282-1-14%29-Modular-EVA-serviceable-orbital-telescope
gives you way too much science but it's a pretty cool mod. there's also a bug with it and KAS when replacing burnt out cpus but some dude made a fix here

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Klyith posted:

A fuel balancing plugin is pretty essential for those kinds of shenanigans. TAC fuel balancer is the the classic one, but I saw this plugin a little while ago which does some of the same things but is waaaay easier to use.

TAC can do intelligent things like manage CoM by taking both fuel weight and the rest of the parts into account and things like that. Goodspeed in contrast is "dumb", it moves fuel by two simple rules (move high->low or balance). But simplicity is nice and it's also persistently saved -- you can set it up in construction and never need to mess with it during flight.

That sounds really cool, TAC didn't have that feature when I last tried it. You can design your craft to keep its center of mass from shifting, though - you just have to make sure the CoM ends up in the center of the main fuel tank, and then make sure additional fuel only gets mounted to port and starboard. Kinda limits the design, of course.

Keiya posted:

I'm explicitly running my campaign without mechjeb. Occasionally I'll have it fly a new design for me in a separate install, if I'm wanting things like watching its limit-to-terminal-velocity behavior, but my main install doesn't have it because when I install it, I end up relying on it so much that I get bored.

It's probably possible to fly a VTOL just using the inbuilt SAS, I just used MechJeb to guarantee straight and level flight. Also I hate landing manually more than anything else, I'm lazy.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
Well, my first asteroid capture mission isn't going well. The giant decoupler worked fine, but the camera stayed stuck to the discarded giant stage as my rocket shot off into the distance to be consumed by the kraken.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Klyith posted:

Since I am too lazy to install mods (except for Protractor, that poo poo should be stock), I go to a whole lot of extra effort every time I design a plane making sure the CoG is right in the middle of my fuel tank. If I need more than one, I stack them sideways with the CoG in the middle of the center one.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I used to have a large station parts mod that gave you access to 2.5m joints and stuff for stations, but the guy stopped updating it. Specifically I wanted it for the 2.5m 6-way junction as well as bends that it had, is there anything similar someone could suggest?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Asteroids make physics warp very angry.

This is unfortunate, because asteroid redirects can involve very long burns.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

This sounds familiar:

quote:

NASA's LADEE spacecraft, now orbiting the Moon on a mission to study the lunar atmosphere, might not survive the lunar eclipse. "LADEE wasn't designed to go through a long eclipse and keep things running," says Richard Elphic, the project scientist for LADEE at NASA Ames.

The spacecraft is solar powered, and it uses battery-driven heaters to keep itself warm. LADEE regularly experiences periods of low-to-no sunlight for 45 minutes when it passes over the nightside of the Moon. During the eclipse, the "shadow time" will last as much as 4 hours.

"Even dipping into the penumbra (the outskirts of Earth's shadow) means we lose power generation, and for the full Earth umbra (the dark core of Earth's shadow) there's no solar array generation at all," continues Elphic. "So we'll be running on battery, with no array generation, and using heaters more than usual to keep things warm."

And now for the good news. "Our in flight data show that power and thermal are behaving better than predicted, because of the built in margins, so we expect the spacecraft to survive just fine," reports Butler Hine, the LADEE Project Manager at Ames. "The unheated portions of the propulsion system are mainly what we will be watching for any freezing."

RIP probe Science Nerd I, because I didn't include enough batteries to last through the darkness :(

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Falken posted:

This one is a little old but still cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp6yj2k0Fpc&hd=1

Bad Luck
May 2, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

The Red, White and Blue parachutes are a nice touch :911:

Typical American.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Little known fact the Constellation Space Program was run by the Haitian Space Agency.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

Zaran posted:

This is my first time seeing that and :drat:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

I didn't know that had been added to Mechjeb, but the VAB is really where TWRs are the most useful. Not like you can meaningfully change them once you get there.

It always amuses me how short the threads memory is ;) This came up in the old thread weeks ago when it had been added to MJs dev build.

Zaran posted:

Excellent video, this sort of dedication is what makes KSP so bloody good.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Did you seriously only come here to post this? Thanks for your contribution to the thread, you've been great. Now get out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there any speed/angle that is unsafe to enter the atmosphere at with vanilla or FAR? I know there would be with Deadly Reentry but I'm not using that. Yesterday I dragged most of a lander-full of fuel back to Kerbin from my first Minmus mission, and I get the sense that I could have just done a burn that put my periapsis in the atmosphere rather than re-park myself in LKO. I have typically done that returning from the Mun but I thought I would be carrying a lot more velocity falling in from Minmus and I didn't want to risk it.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Since it is at least tangentially relevant, SpaceX is launching their mission to the ISS today in an hour-ish. Webcast on their website: http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Zhent posted:

Since it is at least tangentially relevant, SpaceX is launching their mission to the ISS today in an hour-ish. Webcast on their website: http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

We have a load of info and chat going on about this launch in the Spaceflight Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=104#post428279652

Also worth noting, this rocket has landing legs. Yup, the first stage will try to soft land (on water for testing purposes) with landing legs!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Without DRE, you should be able to put your Pe into Kerbin atmosphere without worrying about breaking up. Coming in from a super high angle, though, or anything faster than 2500 m/s, I would definitely make sure your ship had a drogue chute or two on it to slow you down before your main chutes pop open.

FAR can rip your ships apart, but I think this is something that only happens with planes mainly. The forces you experience during re-entry are a bit different.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

is there a mod that makes it possible to set when chutes partially deploy? My probes keep getting their chutes wrecked by Deadly Re-Entry. I was trying to automate the descent since I wouldn't have a signal relay working when they entered the atmosphere.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is there a mod that makes it possible to set when chutes partially deploy? My probes keep getting their chutes wrecked by Deadly Re-Entry. I was trying to automate the descent since I wouldn't have a signal relay working when they entered the atmosphere.

Isn't that a VAB tweakable?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Pretty sure you can set the minimum pressure before (partial) deployment on the parachute tweakables.

EFB

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

RealChute let's you tweak all that stuff in the action group manager. It also makes your chutes work more like real parachutes, meaning they slow you down a bit more gradually, as opposed to you hitting that g-force wall when your chutes pop like normal.

edit: didn't realize that stuff was stock now, awesome! RealChute is still a cool mod, though.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 14, 2014

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Samsquamsch posted:

I don't know why I thought my pathetically under-engineered ship would work for my first ever asteroid encounter with a Class E.

At least it was good practice, even if I did only end up with 7m/s dV once attached.

Bonus, the moon hosed with me on my final approach and after panicking I made a small correction. You'll notice I even forgot batteries I was in such a rush to try out the new engine cluster and wrangle an asteroid :(

UPDATE! Thanks for your thoughts, eth0.n, it turns out 3m/s dV was actually enough to capture the Class E! I detached from the asteroid, pointed my ship retrograde, maneuvered to where I was facing the asteroid in a retrograde direction, then targeted CoM and attached; I wasn't precisely pointed retrograde, but with the meager dV I figured maintaining an accurate burn by being as close to CoM as possible was more important. The orbit actually wobbled a bit, showing escape, then orbit, then escape, but after burning the rest of my fuel it's locked in and I can now send up a proper mission (you know, with batteries and maybe even more than a single engine, let's get crazy) to bring it down to Kerbin. Woohoo!

I was actually about to give up entirely, and in detaching from the asteroid and going to map view, it actually showed it as captured and orbiting Kerbin. That part didn't really make sense to me, since before it clearly on an exit trajectory and I really, really doubt the force of my ship releasing the claw would turn that into a captured orbit. Maybe just a glitch, but it gave me the confidence to put forth effort and now I've got my very first (massive) asteroid! Mounting another mission now!

Abyssal Lurker
Jul 14, 2007

:jeb:THRILLMASTER:jeb:
So, super-buff ion engines. What are they good for?

As you are of course aware, you have been able to go to Minmus and back with less than two tons of rocket for a very long time.

Since before there were non-radial orange engines, even

Minmus has been taunting the Mun about that ever since, but no more. With jets and ion engines, sub-two Mun is downright easy.

Being able to drain the unnecessary oxidizer from the launch stage helps too

Sure, if you really wanted to go for the mass record you could partially drain the xenon tank and replace the moving solar panels with a bare minimum of fixed ones. But honestly, I'm getting too old for that poo poo.

I will replace the parachute with a Javelin Landing Device, though.

I'm old, not dead

Warning: Javelin Landing Device may result in perpetual motion

What's that? With a bit of rejiggering you can add another full tank of xenon? You could probably use that to go lots of interesting places.

Well, go on then. I'm busy.

What else did the patch bring? Oh yes.

As you are of course also aware, no matter where you go in the solar system you never have to spend more than 3000 dV on a single burn. This means you can make a grand tour (except for the "back from Eve" part) with a four-part rocket (and twenty-ish pre-placed refuelling stations).

I explained this during KerbalKon, but I don't think anyone heard me

Did I say four? I meant three, since the magic fuel-transferring claw removes the need for a docking port.

Did I say three? I meant two, since the liquid booster combines tank and engine in a single part. As a bonus, it has significantly more dV than the old version.

You don't even have to perform a suborbital refuelling rendezvous to reach LKO anymore? How decadent!

Now at first glance it looks like you would only be able to visit low-gravity bodies, because how would you get back to the pod without ladders?

Pictured: Low gravity

The answer being, of course

Strategic falling over

RCS-assisted jumping

Extreme uphill sledding

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Abyssal Lurker posted:

Extreme uphill sledding

:vince:

Your shenanigans never fail to impress.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A day may come when the parts are too overpowered, when Abyssal Lurker forsakes our thread and stops doing crazy things with KSP. But it is not this day.

The Green Calx posted:

RealChute let's you tweak all that stuff in the action group manager. It also makes your chutes work more like real parachutes, meaning they slow you down a bit more gradually, as opposed to you hitting that g-force wall when your chutes pop like normal.

edit: didn't realize that stuff was stock now, awesome! RealChute is still a cool mod, though.
The tweakables for changing parachute open height is stock, but RealChute's gradual opening trick is still unique. It did give SM a lot of trouble with various bugs and compatibility issues though, so there's that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is a conversation from a couple pages ago, but I'd just like to say something about Space Shuttle style craft in KSP, which most of you likely already know, but for anybody who doesn't already know this:

If your spaceplane isn't an SSTO, you're basically just making a lovely rocket.

Even if you'd go absolutely hog wild with reusability and set up a spaceplane refueling facility near KSP, if it's not SSTO then all you're left with is an overlarge re-entry vehicle. Literally the only reason to attempt a shuttle-style launch is for its own sake, there are 0 advantages in the game right now to doing it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Some of you might remember this:

Geemer posted:

The new giant parts have defective decouplers. If I kill thrust and decouple a stage before it runs dry (so it'll fall back to Kerbin instead of promoting Kessler syndrome), the stage physically detaches from the ship and the decoupler disappears.
It's still connected, though. If I throttle the ship back up, the detached stage throttles up as well and bumps into my rocket before running out of fuel and then being thrown away by the exhaust of my new stage. The camera also still considers it part of the rocket and tries to desperately focus on the CoM which keeps moving as the stage falls away.
If I hit stage again it may just actually decouple the stage or it may activate the next decoupler.

Of course this left many people with important questions. Such as "but what happened to the part that was in attachment limbo?"
Now the exciting conclusion!

During cleaning up some debris that was landed on Kerbin, I noticed a piece of debris was listed as on an escape trajectory from the Sun.

Surface velocity of 14% of the speed of light and rising!

Map view doesn't even know what the gently caress!

Now the question is whether I should leave it and see what happens to it, maybe it'll break lightspeed!
Or if I should terminate it because it might cause my game to crash whenever I enter map view/the tracking station when it gets too crazy.

And no, I have no idea where the engine that was on that thing went. :iiam:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

DStecks posted:

This is a conversation from a couple pages ago, but I'd just like to say something about Space Shuttle style craft in KSP, which most of you likely already know, but for anybody who doesn't already know this:

If your spaceplane isn't an SSTO, you're basically just making a lovely rocket.

Even if you'd go absolutely hog wild with reusability and set up a spaceplane refueling facility near KSP, if it's not SSTO then all you're left with is an overlarge re-entry vehicle. Literally the only reason to attempt a shuttle-style launch is for its own sake, there are 0 advantages in the game right now to doing it.

This is the only reason to do things ever. I have put interstellar atmospheric gliders into a meticulously designed hangar bay even though the entire thing was basically boiled down to being the worlds heaviest docking port. KSP is only really rewarding if you do things for their own sake, science is cool and all but it really has very little variety and certain things like rovers are completely impractical since you really have no motive to hit different biomes with one trip, just bring spare fuel and a lander capable of multiple re-entries.

Everything that we make that is more than a basic rocket with a science thing attached to it is for the sake of it. Its really the whole point :colbert:

Geemer posted:

If you find that thing mysteriously orbiting a planet in a future mission for fucks sake leave it alone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And besides, anyone who's played for more than a few weeks maxed out the tech tree long ago and has been more or less back in sandbox mode since then.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

Now the question is whether I should leave it and see what happens to it, maybe it'll break lightspeed!
Or if I should terminate it because it might cause my game to crash whenever I enter map view/the tracking station when it gets too crazy.

That thing is red flag Kraken bait and you know it! Delete! Purge!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Been away for a week. Lots of pages to plough through still.

Thought I'd just post an inspirational shot.

No matter what parts are unlocked, or what your damage is there is always a way.

Yes that's a variant of my current main lifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

General_Failure posted:

Been away for a week. Lots of pages to plough through still.

Thought I'd just post an inspirational shot.

No matter what parts are unlocked, or what your damage is there is always a way.

Yes that's a variant of my current main lifter.

Main lifter to where, Eeloo!?

• Locked thread