Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's soloing with healers work in general, anyway? Do you literally just heal your companion while they do the damage, or do you just use your dps abilities and deal with putting out middling damage? I know you can just respec but I'm laaaazy.

Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christopher
May 29, 2006
So I've decided to go ahead and do preferred access for now. Any recommendations on what to buy? I really don't want to spend more than $10 if I don't have to. The few perks that come along with preferred status seem to be enough for the time being.

There is a Preferred Access Bundle for $10 with inventory module, crew skill slot, improved speeder piloting I, display character titles, unify colors, and display legacy name and title. There's the Newcomer Bundle for a bit less that contains a Quick Travel Pass, Czerka Cruiser Speeder, 5 minor xp boosts, and improved speeder piloting I. Then for less than 5 bucks there's the Going Places Basic Bundle with improved exploration experience I, legacy travel I, quick travel pass, fleet pass, and rocket boost.

Not knowing what any of this stuff is makes it tough to do an accurate comparison so any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 14, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Christopher posted:

So I've decided to go ahead and do preferred access for now. Any recommendations on what to buy? I really don't want to spend more than $10 if I don't have to. The few perks that come along with preferred status seem to be enough for the time being.

There is a Preferred Access Bundle for $10 with inventory module, crew skill slot, improved speeder piloting I, display character titles, unify colors, and display legacy name and title. There's the Newcomer Bundle for a bit less that contains a Quick Travel Pass, Czerka Cruiser Speeder, 5 minor xp boosts, and improved speeder piloting I. Then for less than 5 bucks there's the Going Places Basic Bundle with improved exploration experience I, legacy travel I, quick travel pass, fleet pass, and rocket boost.

Not knowing what any of this stuff is makes it tough to do an accurate comparison so any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going for preferred I would recommend you just sub for one month then drop it. This gets you Rise of the Hutt Cartel, which will let you hit 55, as well as massively boost the speed your first character hits 55. Then once your sub drops get a referral link or something if you can. (I'm not sure if you can do this in that order.) As well it gives you 500 funbux to get either rocket boots or some of the unlocks you'll miss once your sub goes away.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's soloing with healers work in general, anyway? Do you literally just heal your companion while they do the damage, or do you just use your dps abilities and deal with putting out middling damage? I know you can just respec but I'm laaaazy.

I'm lazy so I stay heal spec. I leveled almost exclusively through instances but did corelia and makeb as heals with a dps companion. Makeb was a little slow until my gear caught up. I've leveled to 55 on all tank/heals & both dps flavours and while it was slower it wasn't slow enough that I cared. Your opinion on what is slow may be different.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah I guess leveling my healing Operative felt a tad slower than usual, but not enough to make me consider respecing. Other than that Mercs have tons of AOE options, and Sorcs can just spam Force Storm all day, so trash mobs go down quickly enough. Killing bosses is a bit slower, but that's what your Legacy abilities are for.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just respec. I've bought field respec on every character that isn't a DPS-only class. Even if I had to head back to fleet to do it, I'd still respec before heading out to run dailies or something.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Eskie posted:

The new raiding group is going to run on Thursdays at 8:30 EST. Based on the replies we got in the thread, this seems like this time will work best for the most people. Below is the list of people I have that expressed interest. If you're not able to make the Thursday time, are no longer interested, or you are interested and I missed you please let me know!

Interested and ran with you guys the other night. Monzcarro, heal/dps Merc.

I'm good for Tue, Wed, Thu, Sun at 8pm EST or later.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, the way I level these days is that I do flashpoints and PVP to get all my XP so that the only solo content I have to play is the class story content (which I'm usually ~6 levels above), so I don't super feel like respeccing and learning two specs just for that if healing is good enough...but that's a far away problem, I'll figure out what I enjoy.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yup, you can pretty much level whatever way is fun for you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As a healer Scoundrel, what are the best attack abilities to keep around (For PvP and leveling)? I've kept around Blaster Whip, Quick Shot, Blaster Volley and Vital Shot. The two shotgun stealth abilities too and, of course, the crowd control. I don't often use them that much, especially in PvP. I think I have a good selection up but I'm just looking to optimize.

Edit: Oh yeah. I keep seeing this in fleet, but why do level 55's run around without armor on? They have implants and the whole left equipment side filled out but no armor or, sometimes, weapons. That a mule character for them or something? Do they not want people to see what kind of equipment they use?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 15, 2014

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

There used to be a thing where PvP bolster worked best when naked, but they fixed that. Maybe it still kinda works?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I found this, it might be useful to some people.

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.
Did I do this right?

Christopher
May 29, 2006

Eimi posted:

If you are going for preferred I would recommend you just sub for one month then drop it. This gets you Rise of the Hutt Cartel, which will let you hit 55, as well as massively boost the speed your first character hits 55. Then once your sub drops get a referral link or something if you can. (I'm not sure if you can do this in that order.) As well it gives you 500 funbux to get either rocket boots or some of the unlocks you'll miss once your sub goes away.

I paid the %15 and then quickly deleted my credit card info. After logging in, it shows my bonus credits but says that I'm a f2p player. Do you have to keep your CC information on file to be considered a subscriber?

edit: Logged out and logged back in again. Fix the issue.

Christopher fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 15, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So hey, TNG made HM Brontes our bitch tonight. Woo!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Look! Here's proof!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Aww man, wish I had been there for that. The Fri night run was hilarious :)

I'll be online for the Thurs night raid, and Mon and Wed next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few more pieces of 180 gear for Jehane.

Speaking of, I realised last night my relics are bunk. What should I be aiming for there, for a DPS Sniper?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moreau posted:

I'll be online for the Thurs night raid, and Mon and Wed next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get a few more pieces of 180 gear for Jehane.

Speaking of, I realised last night my relics are bunk. What should I be aiming for there, for a DPS Sniper?

Obraun/Berserker Relic of Focused Retribution and Arkanian/Obraun/Berserker Relic of Serendipitous Assault. (Or the Dread Guard versions but those are hard to get, whereas the PVP ones take a few days of casually PVP'ing to get)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Moreau posted:

Dulfy recommends Serendipitous assault and Focused Retribution, and who am I to argue? Obroan relics are quite good I'm told, and now that they no longer require Ranked WZ comms, they shouldn't be too hard to get.

Hope you can join us regularly on Thursdays! You've earned bro status in my book for managing the puzzle on Karagga's Palace that one time we did that on I think it was a Sunday.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hope you can join us regularly on Thursdays! You've earned bro status in my book for managing the puzzle on Karagga's Palace that one time we did that on I think it was a Sunday.

Oh yeah Jehane gets gold status for that. I was belligerently drunk and trying to explain that puzzle while drunk should be an achievement in and of itself.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

Medullah posted:

So hey, TNG made HM Brontes our bitch tonight. Woo!

Now do NiM.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
We actually gave the first boss a few tries on Nightmare, since we were able to take down Brontes fairly early. Got Nefra down to 30% a couple of times. A little more practice and it's entirely doable.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah Jehane gets gold status for that. I was belligerently drunk and trying to explain that puzzle while drunk should be an achievement in and of itself.

Thanks for reminding me of one of the most stressful moments of my life, yo bastards :) I was sweating bullets that whole time. Yeesh. You know, I didn't even get that puzzle until after we wiped the first time. Still feel bad about that!

Mind, now that I *get* that puzzle, it's a piece of pie. I've considered running it with pubbies until I get Jehane a hat. But that would probably drive me insane.

Sadly, being that all you Americanos and Canandians are in the wrong time-zone, my raiding is mostly limited to your Friday night/my Saturday morning shenanigans.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NiM DF is balanced around people that ran HM a lot so the 78s and better implants might help a lot. We were just a hair away from where we needed to be for healing and tanking I think. The 72-78 mainhand is major power improvement and set bonus 72s to set bonus 78s for the extra armor rating should help too.

That's my new favorite fight mechanics wise though; every thing is backwards. "I'm taking a lot of damage, I need to taunt the boss!" And "big attack coming, gotta point the boss at the raid!"

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Once the nightmare power buff wears off then it'll be totally doable, your stupid titles be damned

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

NiM DF is balanced around people that ran HM a lot so the 78s and better implants might help a lot. We were just a hair away from where we needed to be for healing and tanking I think. The 72-78 mainhand is major power improvement and set bonus 72s to set bonus 78s for the extra armor rating should help too.

That's my new favorite fight mechanics wise though; every thing is backwards. "I'm taking a lot of damage, I need to taunt the boss!" And "big attack coming, gotta point the boss at the raid!"

I don't think we're too far off Nefra. Though I can't see how that fight can be done without DPS cleansing themselves and someone else like we were doing, the damage from that DOT is ridiculous. I read the enrage timer is only 3 minutes on that fight though...so we might need to figure it out.

The suicide robots jumping in made it EASIER, I thought...no more guessing who they were going for. I just ran as soon as it landed.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Once the nightmare power buff wears off then it'll be totally doable, your stupid titles be damned

So I still don't get the deal with the titles, someone care to explain?

Also, I am SO HAPPY we finally beat Brontes- we're starting to get this poo poo down.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wtftastic posted:

So I still don't get the deal with the titles, someone care to explain?

Also, I am SO HAPPY we finally beat Brontes- we're starting to get this poo poo down.

There's a title you get for clearing NiM DF, but only if you do it in the first few months.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I feel like Nefra NiM is going to be doable soon.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

wtftastic posted:

It's just four things:

Offtank taunts when he/she gets 4 stacks.

At 15 stacks of NiM Twin Attack (may want to do it at 14 if you think you need that much time), tanks rotate boss into stacked DPS/heals to absorb the damage (attack is channeled).

2 Heals/1 Heals 1 rDPS stands 15 or so meters away from the raid to draw away the droids.

Cleanses must go out before the DoT ticks all the way down or else it will do massive damage upon completion.

It's the simplest and easiest fight in the instance. The one you'll have problems with before Brontes is Grob'Thok. Corrupter is all about maintaining a formation to deal with the mines, and Draxus is a DPS check.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

I don't think we're too far off Nefra. Though I can't see how that fight can be done without DPS cleansing themselves and someone else like we were doing, the damage from that DOT is ridiculous. I read the enrage timer is only 3 minutes on that fight though...so we might need to figure it out.

It's a gentle timer. After damage from tanks, your dps-ers only need to average around 2800. That's super-easy for non-cleansing melee in the right gear (I'm at 3200-3400 on her while still missing mainhand, relics etc.). It's a fair bit harder for people who lose dps from moving and have to spend every tenth gcd cleansing, but still not an unreasonable target. We were right on the verge of doing enough dps for NiM during the last HM kill that I was there, and that was before anyone had picked up new mainhands.

wtftastic posted:

Maybe even next week, but that sadly doesn't get us anywhere near a fifth of the way to a full clear. We'll clear HM DP well before we have a shot at NiM Draxus, and Brontes is another level beyond that (the lightning spheres during every phase aren't even the hard part).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But we'll get shiny 81 ear pieces!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

HundredBears posted:

It's a gentle timer. After damage from tanks, your dps-ers only need to average around 2800. That's super-easy for non-cleansing melee in the right gear (I'm at 3200-3400 on her while still missing mainhand, relics etc.). It's a fair bit harder for people who lose dps from moving and have to spend every tenth gcd cleansing, but still not an unreasonable target. We were right on the verge of doing enough dps for NiM during the last HM kill that I was there, and that was before anyone had picked up new mainhands.

Maybe even next week, but that sadly doesn't get us anywhere near a fifth of the way to a full clear. We'll clear HM DP well before we have a shot at NiM Draxus, and Brontes is another level beyond that (the lightning spheres during every phase aren't even the hard part).

Sure, that a pretty minor amount of progress, but we've been stuck for a pretty long time, so I'm hopeful we'll be able to continue making decent progress.

I am just trying to be mindlessly positive.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

ThreeSixXero posted:

It's just four things:

Offtank taunts when he/she gets 4 stacks.

At 15 stacks of NiM Twin Attack (may want to do it at 14 if you think you need that much time), tanks rotate boss into stacked DPS/heals to absorb the damage (attack is channeled).

2 Heals/1 Heals 1 rDPS stands 15 or so meters away from the raid to draw away the droids.

Cleanses must go out before the DoT ticks all the way down or else it will do massive damage upon completion.

It's the simplest and easiest fight in the instance. The one you'll have problems with before Brontes is Grob'Thok. Corrupter is all about maintaining a formation to deal with the mines, and Draxus is a DPS check.

It seems like the biggest problem is trying to get Nefra repositioned after you have the dps eat the nightmare twin attack. She bobbles around and its hard to spin her correctly, which is the game's fault and no one elses.

HundredBears posted:

Yeah that's true, but farming NiM Nefra for drops (especially the MMGs) could still be a good idea even if we're not close to clearing the rest. I feel like we could just do Nefra and then another run if we get it down.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

A Curvy Goonette posted:

It seems like the biggest problem is trying to get Nefra repositioned after you have the dps eat the nightmare twin attack. She bobbles around and its hard to spin her correctly, which is the game's fault and no one elses.

Tank her off the stairs and just rotate her to a new position pointed away from the DPS after each attack. My group has the base of the stairs designated as the move-to point after the first, and we just rotate her back and forth between that position and a position slightly SW of the stairs. Do the same for when droids go onto the tanks.

ThreeSixXero fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 15, 2014

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

As a healer Scoundrel, what are the best attack abilities to keep around (For PvP and leveling)? I've kept around Blaster Whip, Quick Shot, Blaster Volley and Vital Shot. The two shotgun stealth abilities too and, of course, the crowd control. I don't often use them that much, especially in PvP. I think I have a good selection up but I'm just looking to optimize.

Edit: Oh yeah. I keep seeing this in fleet, but why do level 55's run around without armor on? They have implants and the whole left equipment side filled out but no armor or, sometimes, weapons. That a mule character for them or something? Do they not want people to see what kind of equipment they use?

Sab Charge is your bread and butter and should always be on CD, use it on people below 30% as an execute and to pop Sorc bubbles. .

Otherwise Blaster Whip and Back Blast on a focused target adding Vital Shot on Healers/Tanks.

There's no reason to use Quick Shot over the basic attack...the damage simply isn't worth the energy nor does it proc anything.

Grenade for stopping caps. I don't use Blaster Volley...UH's are for EM and are even more important after 2.7.

Been playing Sawbones since release and hit a 2100ish rating in Season 1.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

wtftastic posted:

I am just trying to be mindlessly positive.

Fair enough. I guess that I'm just pulling for Palace since none of the fights in there are that hard once you get the strategy down but some of them are a lot of fun. Imagine the positivity from killing three new bosses in the same night.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I can't imagine that at all. It strains credulity.

I too would like to work on Palace more. Fortress is starting to wear on me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I can't imagine that at all. It strains credulity.

I too would like to work on Palace more. Fortress is starting to wear on me.

I'm good with moving onto Palace. I hear "THE INTRUDERS ARE HERE" in my sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've yet to see the end of Dread Palace; I've only done it that one Sunday where we got to the end and quit in frustration after accidentally setting off Calyphus' auto-wipe mechanic at the very end. I know you guys are talking about the 8 man hardmode group but if anyone's running SM sometime I'd be down for that (I also have the quest hogging space on my mission log after Oricon so I'm asking selfishly here)

I suppose there's always pugging too but uggghhh

• Locked thread