Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, nothing goes according to plan because Fischer's subconscious is protected against their extraction. They have to play it stealthy, because otherwise their subconsciousness will home in on them and kill them (which would put them in limbo).

Yeah I remember, but what about when they are actively fleeing from his subconscious? Or fighting a gun battle with them? Seems like it would be helpful to screw with physics and send stuff flying around, or manifest an Apache gunship or something. I guess it doesn't work like that, but Ellen Paige literally folds the world in half and creates a bridge from nothing. That's a lot of power to never use tactically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jabby posted:

It always kind of bugged me that Ellen Paige's character showed that the 'builder' had almost total conscious control over the dream world, but they never use that to their tactical advantage against the projections. Maybe they're afraid it will make it worse or something, but they should have nearly godlike power dammit.

JGL does the staircase perspective trick to one of the projections before he sets up the elevator kick, but that's it I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jabby posted:

It always kind of bugged me that Ellen Paige's character showed that the 'builder' had almost total conscious control over the dream world, but they never use that to their tactical advantage against the projections. Maybe they're afraid it will make it worse or something, but they should have nearly godlike power dammit.

Well, they do establish that stuff is bad and makes the person's mind fight back. Considering how delicate what they're trying to do is, they probably can't risk it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aphrodite posted:

Well, they do establish that stuff is bad and makes the person's mind fight back. Considering how delicate what they're trying to do is, they probably can't risk it.

Plus, at that point, they were trying to convince him that they were his subconcious, while his subconcious attacked him. If they started messing around with everything, then he might clue in faster.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

jabby posted:

Yeah I remember, but what about when they are actively fleeing from his subconscious? Or fighting a gun battle with them? Seems like it would be helpful to screw with physics and send stuff flying around, or manifest an Apache gunship or something. I guess it doesn't work like that, but Ellen Paige literally folds the world in half and creates a bridge from nothing. That's a lot of power to never use tactically.

JGL manifests an assault rifle and Tom Hardy manifests a grenade launcher, so they do use that power to a certain extent.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Paper Diamonds posted:

She wasn't imaginary. She was right all along. She is diving into his dreams to get him to wake up. Inception as a movie never leaves Cobb's dreamworld(s).

That's deliberately left up to interpretation and you know it

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Paper Diamonds posted:

She wasn't imaginary. She was right all along. She is diving into his dreams to get him to wake up. Inception as a movie never leaves Cobb's dreamworld(s).

Then why doesn't she show up in what Cobb considers the "real world"?

you may die
Dec 15, 2013
Because she died jumping off the balcony?

edit: actually I think I hosed up, you were arguing against the idea that it's still a dream aren't you

you may die has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Apr 15, 2014

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Ninja Gamer posted:

Then why doesn't she show up in what Cobb considers the "real world"?
:ssh:She does:ssh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie actually has a way to tell when Cobb is dreaming and when he is awake. When he's dreaming he still wears his wedding ring.

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
And more specifically when he spins his top at the end he isnt wearing his ring

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Welp, time to watch Inception again.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Man, lightsabers look pretty bad when they're standing still

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Was this confirmed somewhere? Or is this just the argument that's happened since it came out only now behind spoiler tags giving the impression it's 100% fact?

It's like the briefcase from Pulp Fiction. Whatever is in it, is what works best for your interpretation of the film. Go nuts, fellow goons!

edit: new page, looks like you did!

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
So this isn't a movie, but it was still pretty subtle and I had to laugh a little when I noticed it.

So the old early 90s Justice League toon (the one with Bruce Timm working on it) is on Netflix, and being bored I decided to watch a few episodes this weekend. In the episode(s) "A Better World", the story initially focuses on a parallel universe where the JL have become the Justice Lords, establishing an authoritarian regime on Earth and filling Arkham with a menagerie of supervillains who have been lobotomized by Superman to make them docile (indicated by two little dots on their foreheads where Supes' heat vision penetrated their skulls).

There's an excellent subtle moment where the 'normal universe' Justice League are walking through Arkham, and there's a pan past a number of the usual villains of the show; when the camera reaches The Ventriloquist, the lobotomy marks are on the puppet Scarface instead.

(PS watch the Bruce Timm DC stuff it's really good)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Dolores Claiborne, Jennifer Jason Leigh's boss has a framed Esquire cover featuring Jack Nicholson's iconic "here's Johnny" face from The Shining in his office.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Something I always liked in Zodiac...

There's a scene where Jake Gyllenhaal's character (Robert Graysmith) is investigating a man he thinks is the Zodiac and meets up with an acquaintance of the suspect at the guy's house. Graysmith claims that handwriting from a movie poster is the closest match to the Zodiac and thinks it was from the homeowner's friend, but the homeowner interrupts and says he is the one who made the poster. Graysmith is unnerved but seemingly doesn't want to offend the guy, so he continues the discussion.

Soon, the homeowner invites him down into his basement to look at some documents. Graysmith is surprised and says that not many people have basements in California. While not explicitly mentioned in the film, the Zodiac had made a comment in a letter that his basement had flooded. Graysmith was also working on a theory that the Zodiac was actually two men working together, which also unnerves him when it seems like there is someone walking around upstairs but the homeowner claims no one else is in the house.

So, all of this explains why he freaks out and rushes upstairs to try and escape.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Sand Monster posted:

There's a scene where Jake Gyllenhaal's character (Robert Graysmith) is investigating a man he thinks is the Zodiac and meets up with an acquaintance of the suspect at the guy's house. Graysmith claims that handwriting from a movie poster is the closest match to the Zodiac and thinks it was from the homeowner's friend, but the homeowner interrupts and says he is the one who made the poster. Graysmith is unnerved but seemingly doesn't want to offend the guy, so he continues the discussion.

Soon, the homeowner invites him down into his basement to look at some documents. Graysmith is surprised and says that not many people have basements in California. While not explicitly mentioned in the film, the Zodiac had made a comment in a letter that his basement had flooded. Graysmith was also working on a theory that the Zodiac was actually two men working together, which also unnerves him when it seems like there is someone walking around upstairs but the homeowner claims no one else is in the house.

So, all of this explains why he freaks out and rushes upstairs to try and escape.

Zodiac is a hugely underrated movie among my peer group, and I've always adored this scene and how the knife starts twisting in Graysmith's head when he realizes the basement coincidence.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

The best part about that scene is that the guy who invites him into the basement and creeps him out is Charles Fleischer, the voice of Roger Rabbit.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Nicer touches with that movie is that any on screen appearance and voice is credited out to three/four different people, nicely maintaining the mystery and inconsistencies of reported writing and appearance of Zodiac.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IntelligentCalcium posted:

So this isn't a movie, but it was still pretty subtle and I had to laugh a little when I noticed it.

So the old early 90s Justice League toon (the one with Bruce Timm working on it) is on Netflix, and being bored I decided to watch a few episodes this weekend. In the episode(s) "A Better World", the story initially focuses on a parallel universe where the JL have become the Justice Lords, establishing an authoritarian regime on Earth and filling Arkham with a menagerie of supervillains who have been lobotomized by Superman to make them docile (indicated by two little dots on their foreheads where Supes' heat vision penetrated their skulls).

There's an excellent subtle moment where the 'normal universe' Justice League are walking through Arkham, and there's a pan past a number of the usual villains of the show; when the camera reaches The Ventriloquist, the lobotomy marks are on the puppet Scarface instead.

(PS watch the Bruce Timm DC stuff it's really good)

That would make sense considering that the Ventriloquist isn't the one who's evil.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Peanut President posted:

That would make sense considering that the Ventriloquist isn't the one who's evil.

I'm admittedly not big on anything from DC that isn't the Arkham games, but isn't it that Scarface is a completely normal, albeit creepy, doll that's just consistently puppet-ed by crazy people?

Or is it one of those things where there might be an 'official' explanation but even the people writing it aren't good about remembering it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I'm admittedly not big on anything from DC that isn't the Arkham games, but isn't it that Scarface is a completely normal, albeit creepy, doll that's just consistently puppet-ed by crazy people?

Or is it one of those things where there might be an 'official' explanation but even the people writing it aren't good about remembering it?

Yes, but if the Ventriloquist thinks Scarface is lobotomized then it still works. He's crazy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm watching Source Code now, Jake Gyllenhal's character starts off his "missions" cumbersomely breaking into the Conductor's room to steal the gun, but as he progresses he's eventually able to break open the door and lock so easily that it's almost fluid-like.

Maybe not so subtle, but I still enjoyed it!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not sure if this counts as subtle or not but I ever noticed it before: In the The Dark Knight Rises when Bane rips up the picture of Harvey Dent he tears it straight down the middle of his face.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cleretic posted:

Its admittedly not clear and left ambiguous based on whoever's writing. I prefer your interpretation though, its far more interesting than a Chucky doll.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure if this counts as subtle or not but I ever noticed it before: In the The Dark Knight Rises when Bane rips up the picture of Harvey Dent he tears it straight down the middle of his face.

That might just be coincidence. If you're holding it up vertically that's how anyone would tear something, regardless of content.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rockcity posted:

That might just be coincidence. If you're holding it up vertically that's how anyone would tear something, regardless of content.

I think there's about a zero percent chance that that scene wasn't deliberate.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Chard posted:

I think there's about a zero percent chance that that scene wasn't deliberate.

More than likely.

There's a Youtube video I can't find anymore that shows all the camera angles Nolan used throughout the trilogy and how they parallel with one another. Simple shots like Alfred carrying a tray through different hallways all framed similarly or how Bruce meeting Ducard for the first time in a jail cell mirrors his visions of him in Bane's cell. I never noticed them until I saw the video.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Action Tortoise posted:

More than likely.

There's a Youtube video I can't find anymore that shows all the camera angles Nolan used throughout the trilogy and how they parallel with one another. Simple shots like Alfred carrying a tray through different hallways all framed similarly or how Bruce meeting Ducard for the first time in a jail cell mirrors his visions of him in Bane's cell. I never noticed them until I saw the video.

I think it was deliberate but without asking Nolan I don't know. It's just something I noticed on a recent re-watch that I found semi-clever and kinda sorta subtle. Less subtle were the parallels between Bruce climbing out of the prison/cave and the obvious callbacks to Batman Begins when he first discovered the cave underneath Wayne Manor, but God help me if I start a Batman derail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even the title The Dark Knight Rises is a reference to the Begins. Thomas Wayne's mantra of "Why do we fall? So we can get back up again" or, you know, rise.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
Lately, my favorite references in the Nolan films have been to earlier Batman incarnations.

In DKR and Batman Returns, Bruce Wayne and Selena Kyle dance unmasked at a masquerade ball.

The Batpod in Dark Knight is preceded by a similar Batmobile function in Returns.

The Joker confronts a group of mobsters and kills the first one to challenge him. One film it's with a "magic trick", in another it's a hand buzzer.

And there's no way this was coincidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2itFIzT1Y

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dark Knight Rises also has the final bit being all about how Some Days, you just Can't Get Rid of a Bomb

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Even the title The Dark Knight Rises is a reference to the Begins. Thomas Wayne's mantra of "Why do we fall? So we can get back up again" or, you know, rise.

My favourite one is how Lucius mirrors his conversation with his Dad as a kid.
"[Running a business/fixing the autopilot] takes a better mind than mine"
"Better?"
Thomas Wayne: "More interested"
Lucius Fox: "Less busy"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On a slight tangent: I just read an interview with Denny O'Neil, who reinvented Batman in the late 1960s. He says he saw TDKR and his "Director's Cut" would be exactly the same movie with the last scene removed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't recall, would that be the Robin scene or Bruce alive?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I don't recall, would that be the Robin scene or Bruce alive?

They were both kind of mixed together, weren't they? The very last shot is "Robin" standing on the platform.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can see a case for removing both though the Robin scene slightly more so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Robin stuff is important as a conclusion to his "doesn't matter who Batman is" creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think that plot element was definitely important to have, but the scene where we find out his name was literally "Robin" was pretty clunky and dumb.