Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cory Lidle posted:

SHINE is live tonight on iPPV at 8pm/EST. They're doing a tag tournament for the new Tag Team Titles, Ivelisse is defending the singles title against Mercedes Martinez and Serena Deeb is wrestling Angeline Love for some reason. Look for the handlebar mustache in the front row, that'll be me.

I'm gonna catch it on VOD later. Their last two shows were awful streaming experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Everyone got kicked out for about five minutes earlier tonight.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Well, I found out the answer to my last post: a few people are indeed watching these things I link (about...14 or so people), so I may as well mention the joshi match we watched this week on http://psp-tv.com/r/channelofdoom : one of the most famous Japanese women's wrestling matches in history!

85-08-28 - Chigusa Nagayo vs Dump Matsumoto, Hair vs Hair

As one half of the tag team known as the Crush Gals, the then 20 year-old Chigusa Nagayo was basically the most popular Japanese women's wrestler at the peak of the popularity of Japanese women's wrestling, drawing throngs of teenage girls to pro wrestling events. Every strong babyface needs an equally strong heel, and that's Dump Matsumoto and her Gokuaku Domei ("Heinous Alliance") stable, who collectively personify the "cyberpunk ladies' wardrobe" aesthetic. Or maybe that's "post-nuclear apocalypse" aesthetic. The feud has escalated to this singles bout, in which the loser's getting their head shaved in the middle of that ring. Things get out of hand virtually immediately, and by "out of hand" I mean "All Japan Women got taken off of television for a little while as a result of this match." I personally prefer the 90s-era joshi wrestling of AJW and JWP since the in-ring product is better, but the crowd heat and audience investment of the 80s is on a level never seen before or since.

This is the [insert major Hulk Hogan 80s match here] of Japanese women's wrestling. Or maybe that's what I'll be running next week...

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
http://www.dirtydirtysheets.com/2014/03/13/act-yasukawa-the-dirty-dirty-sheets-interview/

quote:

Middle school was also when Act would face her greatest difficulties. She was bullied for being “different” and having a disability: near blindness in her right eye. She suffered from attention deficit disorder and mental illness. Act spent most of her time in isolation, even at home. Her father was away and her mother was busy taking care of her own ailing parents. Act sought help but instead of finding a trained and supportive counselor, she was referred to a surgeon that diagnosed her as, “a bad, lazy kid who pretends to be sick to get out of going to school.” Thinking she had nowhere to turn for help, Act attempted suicide.

She also has Graves' Disease and as a result of the medication she takes she can't have children. And the eyepatch isn't a gimmick, she's completely blind in her right eye and because she's obsessed with samurai she wears it as an homage to Date Masamune.

:smith:

I'm glad she's doing well in wrestling though and uses all of her hardship to push herself to be the best she can. She's a pretty drat cool person and deserves a lot of success.

quote:

But Act doesn’t want notoriety for its own sake. Act’s story of dealing with suicide and mental illness is far too common among Japanese youth, and she wants to use her success as a platform to help. “Because of the trials in my own life and when I attempted suicide, I want to be influential and give hope to young people. When I was younger, like them I was bullied and unhappy. I survived and now I feel really alive, and I’m living my dream. That’s the feeling she wants to give to the audience and the younger generation. I want to give them hope.”

Sonny asked Act if there was anything upcoming that she wanted to plug, but she preferred to just give fans this message: “Live while you’re alive. Don’t have a dead life. You can be alive, but be dead inside like I used to be. I didn’t have emotions or feelings. I want all fans to live life to the fullest!”

:unsmith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Act had one of the most unique and cool gimmicks in Japan for a while, she played her character so well. Hope she's doing better, I had no idea about any of that stuff.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Act is the best. I hope she can come to the states, that would be :krad:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Act is the best. I hope she can come to the states, that would be :krad:

That would would be nice but I guess it would depend on Stardom and they don't seem to lend their wrestlers out to other promotions too much so who knows if that'd happen. But with Melissa and Eagles working the 3/16 show and Kellie Skater being a regular who knows? I could see Rossy letting some people go over to Shimmer in the future, maybe.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Suben posted:

That would would be nice but I guess it would depend on Stardom and they don't seem to lend their wrestlers out to other promotions too much so who knows if that'd happen. But with Melissa and Eagles working the 3/16 show and Kellie Skater being a regular who knows? I could see Rossy letting some people go over to Shimmer in the future, maybe.
Skater and Hiroyo are both freelancing there, so Shimmer would definitely be the most likely option. I wouldn't be opposed to her working Shine because I've heard only good things.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Act's still fairly green but shows promise and makes up for it by having a lot of character and doing a really good job of connecting with the crowd; think kind of like Summer Rae in that regard. If they sent anyone over I'm going to guess Yoshiko, Io or Nanae would be at the top of that list followed by Act or Kairi Hojo. Actually Io's doing a tour of Mexico in May so Stardom sending a wrestler over to the next Shimmer tapings seems like a real possibility.

Edit: Chigusa's doing a produced show on 3/22 which features a one night only return for her teaming with Kagetsu and Takumi Iroha against Dump, KAORU and Yoshiko. KAORU's actually coming back after being out for just shy of three years and is pulling double duty teaming with Takako Inoue and Ayako Hamada against Shinobu Kandori, Meiko Satomura and Toshie Uematsu (!!!) in what I'm guessing is only a one night return too. I'm guessing those will be fun enough nostalgia matches but the DASH Chisako/Sendai Sachiko vs. Natsuki/Io match has a chance to be legit really good.

Suben fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 14, 2014

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah if memory serves Act's only been wrestling for 2 years.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Looks like Chigusa's one-off show wasn't a one-off after all. She's starting a group called Marvelous to train wrestlers/promote shows and until that gets started she's going to be doing a few more produced shows.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
SHIMMER just announced that Ray & Leon will be returning to Berwyn next weekend for SHIMMER 63-66. And they posted this awesome match from Volume 47.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFyq4Nr1U-M&hd=1

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

DM Punk posted:

SHIMMER just announced that Ray & Leon will be returning to Berwyn next weekend for SHIMMER 63-66. And they posted this awesome match from Volume 47.

I would have to think one of their tag matches is going to be against 3G, so I'm pretty hype for that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
SHIMMER iPPV this weekend. If its anything like last year's then someone's gonne die.

http://wwnlive.com/event-shimmer-04-05-14.html

himmer Women Athletes presents
SHIMMER 62
Saturday, April 5th, 2014
McAlister Auditorium at Tulane University
6823 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70118
3 PM CST Belltime

Already Signed -

SHIMMER Championship Match - 2 Out of 3 Falls - 90 Minute Time Limit
Cheerleader Melissa defends vs. LuFisto

Already Announced -

- Mercedes Martinez
- Heidi Lovelace
- Veda Scott
- Kimber Lee
- Nikki Storm
- Sassy Stephie
- Nevaeh
- Kay Lee Ray
- Thunderkitty
- Athena
- Barbi Hayden
- Candice LeRae
- Plus More To Be Announced

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

So Rabbit Miu and Tsukushi wound up winning the Tag League the Best tournament presumably because of Manami Katsu's foot injury putting her out of action so they earned a title shot at JWP's Korakuen Hall show on 4/20.

Well that match is off because Sendai Sachiko tore her ACL. So now Rabbit/Tsukushi are teaming with Bolshoi against Haruyama/Meiko/Carlos Amano and DASH has a singles match against Nakamori. Both of which will probably be decent matches but are kind of pointless.

Suben fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 3, 2014

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I've been watching some SHIMMER DVDs that were just sitting on my bookshelf, and I found myself wondering what Yumi Ohka's gimmick was. Is she just a standard Japanese babyface? I think I read somewhere that she had a gravure idol or pop star gimmick, but I'm not too clear on that.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Castomira posted:

I've been watching some SHIMMER DVDs that were just sitting on my bookshelf, and I found myself wondering what Yumi Ohka's gimmick was. Is she just a standard Japanese babyface? I think I read somewhere that she had a gravure idol or pop star gimmick, but I'm not too clear on that.
Basically she's an upper card face from Japan that's very bubbly, so pretty much.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So I watched Summerslam 94 on the network, and was surprised to see Bull Nakano in a match. Are there any other women's matches worth watching on the network?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Dimebags Brain posted:

So I watched Summerslam 94 on the network, and was surprised to see Bull Nakano in a match. Are there any other women's matches worth watching on the network?

I seem to recall Jumping Bomb Angels having a WWF run at some point.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

There's a Cutie Suzuki & Mayumi Ozaki vs Bull Nakano & Akira Hokuto on WCW World War 3 1995 that's very good. Kind of short, but good. Jumping Bomb Angels vs the Glamour Girls from Royal Rumble '88 is pretty good too, and gets a bit more time, but it's also 2/3 falls. There's another women's tag match at WCW Wrestlewar '91 (Miss A & Miki Handa vs Itsuki Yamazaki & Mami Kitamura) that's the best match on the undercard with very nearly the least amount of time. There's some scattered other stuff - Aja Kong's in the women's tag match at Survivor Series 1995 so that's probably okay - but almost no women's match gets over 10 minutes, ever.

Oh, also, if you want to watch these you need to be able to deal with godawful commentary because none of the announcers for those respective matches can pronounce Japanese names, Vince McMahon in the Rumble commentary just calls them Jumping Bomb Angel #1 & #2 (or by the color of their gear, I forget), Dusty Rhodes at Wrestlewar spends the entire match rooting for Miss A because she's the only name he can remember, and Sonny Onoo (the manager for Nakano & Hokuto at WW395) starts the match by saying that everyone in the ring should get back in the kitchen.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I haven't been following wrestling in years, and my last impressions of female wrestlers were TNA's shrill banshees and WWE's Alicia Fox being a danger to herself and others in the ring, so clicking through this thread and following whatever links are still intact was really enjoyable. Really cool to see women's wrestling with actual gimmicks and athletic competence instead of the Divas/Knockouts basically just being there for titillation and/or all being the same character.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Jumping Bomb Angels vs the Glamour Girls from Royal Rumble '88 is pretty good too, and gets a bit more time, but it's also 2/3 falls.

Seconding this. Really, really good match, and if you watch it in context, it's just amazing what these four are doing that nobody else was at the time.

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Aja Kong's in the women's tag match at Survivor Series 1995 so that's probably okay

It's quite good and well worth watching — a lot of talent in that match, and the crowd is really impressed, especially with Kong — it just should have gotten at least another five minutes.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

I haven't been following wrestling in years, and my last impressions of female wrestlers were TNA's shrill banshees and WWE's Alicia Fox being a danger to herself and others in the ring, so clicking through this thread and following whatever links are still intact was really enjoyable. Really cool to see women's wrestling with actual gimmicks and athletic competence instead of the Divas/Knockouts basically just being there for titillation and/or all being the same character.

WWE is starting to turn it around in terms of in-ring talent, but women's matches all still go 2-3 minutes and end in a rollup (except in NXT or that one AJ vs Natalya match on Main Event). If they ever decide to start giving the division real time it'll probably get over, but they've trained the audience to use the women's matches as a piss break, and that's gonna be a hard habit to break.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

WWE is starting to turn it around in terms of in-ring talent, but women's matches all still go 2-3 minutes and end in a rollup (except in NXT or that one AJ vs Natalya match on Main Event). If they ever decide to start giving the division real time it'll probably get over, but they've trained the audience to use the women's matches as a piss break, and that's gonna be a hard habit to break.

I'm hoping with the Network we'll start to see more women's wrestling centric shows on. Total Divas has been a good deal for WWE and there really is a glut of talent on the indie scene.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dimebags Brain posted:

A bunch of WCW PPVs have random joshi matches on, some of the time they brought in Mike Tenay to commentate on them since he actually knew something about them.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

It's quite good and well worth watching — a lot of talent in that match, and the crowd is really impressed, especially with Kong — it just should have gotten at least another five minutes.

That match is really, really bad. It's way too fast (in that it's incredibly short) and it's mostly someone doing a move then getting eliminated and what looks like some miscommunication errors (Kyoko's elimination) as well as Lioness looking like she's there solely to collect a paycheck. There's an Alundra Blayze/Kyoko Inoue vs. Aja Kong/Tomoko Watanabe match on Raw from around the same time span that's a lot better. Kyoko probably would've gotten over big time if WWF kept around the women's division and kept her around: she was at her peak as a wrestler at the time, had a cool moveset and had a good ability to fire up the crowd.

I wonder if there's anyway that WWE could get the tape libraries to promotions like AJW, GAEA, ARSION, etc. or at the very least license the rights to show that stuff on the Network and such.

Suben fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 4, 2014

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Suben posted:

That match is really, really bad. It's way too fast (in that it's incredibly short) and it's mostly someone doing a move then getting eliminated and what looks like some miscommunication errors (Kyoko's elimination) as well as Lioness looking like she's there solely to collect a paycheck. There's an Alundra Blayze/Kyoko Inoue vs. Aja Kong/Tomoko Watanabe match on Raw from around the same time span that's a lot better. Kyoko probably would've gotten over big time if WWF kept around the women's division and kept her around: she was at her peak as a wrestler at the time, had a cool moveset and had a good ability to fire up the crowd.

I wonder if there's anyway that WWE could get the tape libraries to promotions like AJW, GAEA, ARSION, etc. or at the very least license the rights to show that stuff on the Network and such.

I wouldn't mind seeing a WWE doc about Madusa/Alundra Blaze at the very least. After Lita, she's probably the next bet for the HoF on the women's side. Knowing WWE though, they'd probably throw Sable in the HoF first.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
...So what is the deal with Allison Danger apparently still wrestling? Her Wikipedia article says she retired after having a stroke (my Shimmer DVDs start from before that, I think,) but I'm watching SHIMMER 53 and she's wrestling in a tag match.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Castomira posted:

...So what is the deal with Allison Danger apparently still wrestling? Her Wikipedia article says she retired after having a stroke (my Shimmer DVDs start from before that, I think,) but I'm watching SHIMMER 53 and she's wrestling in a tag match.

She isn't Wrestling. She retired on Vol. 57.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

rovert posted:

She isn't Wrestling. She retired on Vol. 57.
...I'm watching entirely the wrong iPPV.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

DM Punk posted:

Quoting an old post but I seriously enjoyed this match. That spot at like 17:20 or so where Hamada jumps up to meet Leon with a kick as she comes leaping off the turnbuckle was fun. Can't have felt good though.

I also made the mistake of watching the Alpha Female vs ODB match from a recent TNA Xplosion. I *think* it was a slow and sloppy match but honestly I was too annoyed by ODB constantly grabbing and slapping at her own tits to be able to tell. Nice to see nothing has changed since 2010 when the Knockouts would point their thumbs at their asses (Don't you want to put your dick here??) as they were climbing into the ring.

For some reason I'm just endlessly amused by Alpha Female's in-ring persona of constantly growling, roaring and sometimes yelling. It's like she's rocking some kind of bizarre Ivan Drago/angry cavewoman hybrid gimmick and it cracks me up. And I wasn't really expecting chokeslams in a woman's match - I usually associated those with the big guys who maybe don't move so well but are supposed to be really strong.

I dunno, just impressions from random youtube trawling. I'm way too uninformed to really judge technical competency but I do enjoy Alpha Female's acting :shrug:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 10, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I love the ODB character but she shouldn't be anywhere near a wrestling ring.

harley
Sep 2, 2004
According to the Shimmer message board LuFisto & Kana vs. Cheerleader Melissa & Mercedes Martinez will be the main event for vol 63 this Saturday.

I would have gone to this if I'd known Kana was booked.

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Kana's pretty much a regular.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
SHIMMER was awesome. No title switches though. But, Kana vs Thunderkitty happened. Just think about that visual for a moment.

All the Joshi's did really well. Ray & Leon, Kana, Shida, Nakagawa, and Ohka were pretty much all involved in the best matches of the weekend. And Nikki Storm is really great. And Saraya Knight dismembered Pegaboo (Lufisto's doll/manager).

Only bummer of the weekend was Madison Eagles broke her wrist and Christina Von Eerie got dropped on her head and was knocked out in the ring for a bit.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Those are probably going to be good matches that you'll be able to see two years from now when Prazak finally gets the DVDs out.

Honestly I think it says a lot to the fact that there's still a significant talent gap between Japan and Not Japan in regards to women's wrestling when the Japanese wrestlers consistently have the best matches whenever they're over. Meanwhile the gaijins don't ever seem to step up in Japan, even Hailey can be hit or miss imo.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
They were doing the commentary live, so if most of that makes the DVD, that should save some time on the release. I'm conflicted about the rotating color commentator thing they were doing, Portia is their best talker that doesn't have a Scottish accent and really does a good job selling matches.

Match results
SHIMMER 63 and 64
SHIMMER 65 and 66

Some notes from the tapings:
+ The undercard on 63 might look skippable on paper, but the wrestling is all top notch. This set of tapings showcased a lot of ladies that really scratched out a place for themselves on the roster.
+ Veda Scott is super over as a heel. It will be interesting to see how far they can run with her as a singles competitor.
+ Someone hosed up during Marti Belle v. CVE and it just stayed a clusterfuck. It will be interesting to revisit that when the DVD comes out.

SHIMMER 63

MOTN 63: Mia Yim v. Hikaru Shida. The big order of business seemed to be elevating Mia Yim as someone that will be making a serious run at the title in the future, similar to when they started grooming Skater as an upper card threat. Very competitive match, Yim squeaked out a win over a very over Shida will still doing so with authority.
Sleeper: Rhia O'Reilly v. Evie. Opening match of the show, Evie was crazy over. It was a good back and forth match where Evie was clearly shown to be the superior wrestler in the end. A very apt showcase after Shida/Evie stole the 62 show. It seems they're going with the top rope double stomp for Evie's finisher instead of the TTYL now (definitely a questionable choice for the Eagles Club, but her shoulder was taped even at NOLA so who knows).
Honorable Mention: Tomoka Nakagawa v. Saraya Knight. This match was a masterclass in heel crowd work, the mid-card match on taping one of day one was the hottest the crowd was all weekend. Saraya claimed the crowd couldn't chant for Nakagawa the whole match and was proven to be quite incorrect.

SHIMMER 64

MOTN 64: Global Green Gangsters (c) v. Ray and Leon. Day one of tapings was very lean on false finishes until the last two matches of 64, this being the first one. Ray and Leon were definitely made to be the most competitive challenge for 3G to date. Ray pulled a quick audible and did some heeling at the start when the Joshi section didn't pick up their end on the dueling chants. Lots of great drama, it felt like the finish of the match was 10 minutes by itself. Probably the match of the whole weekend.
Sleeper: Kana v. Thunderkitty. That is not a typo. This is one of those matches that on paper sounds ludicrous, but when Thunderkitty was in the ring and Kana's music hit, everyone went loving bananas. Even the locker room was supposedly crowded around their monitors.
Honorable Mention: Madison Eagles v. Nicole Matthews v. Evie v. Courtney Rush. Eagles broke her wrist earlier in the afternoon and worked this match anyway, even catching for a dive sequence on the floor. Madison Eagles is a goddamn badass.
Honorable Mention II: Nikki Storm v. Melanie Cruise v. Kay Lee Ray. The pacing and structure of the match was weird, so chants and cheering weren't super prominent, but this is definitely worth watching. This match reminded me of the old cartoon where the little yappy dog runs around starting fights that the larger dog goes and has to settle. I don't think I have to mention the little yappy instigator here was Nikki Storm, selling out her countrymate to a beating from Cruise.

SHIMMER 65

MOTN 65: Mia Yim v. Cheerleader Melissa (c). Oh look, the main event was the best match on the card! Free of any fuckery from LuFisto and Mercedes, Mia and Melissa both laid it all out there. Crowd was super behind Mia Yim and is becoming a little more comfortable with booing Melissa (Melissa/Ohka was split about 50/50). Every near fall on Melissa is getting a progressively louder reaction, which makes the prospects of a long reign-of-doom deliciously nuclear.
Sleeper: Athena v. Kay Lee Ray. Debuting on Volume 62 in NOLA, KLR has been working her rear end off and quickly getting a lot of props from the fans. KLR and Athena have very complimentary styles, akin to Athena/Hamada.
Honorable Mention: Ray and Leon v. KimberBombs (Kimber Lee and Cherry Bomb). KimberBombs is basically what would happen if LayCool were better wrestlers. This tag match had good comedy elements in addition to really solid action. There were strikes, high flying, suplexes and Hello Kitty cookies. You can't really ask for much more than that.

SHIMMER 66

MOTN 66: Hikaru Shida v. Athena. Shida pulls out the big victory to go back home 3-2 over the five tapings, with her biggest victory being over the Fallen Goddess. I don't really follow why Shida is doing all the Cesaro spots, but seeing a rail-thin Joshi girl giving Athena the Cesaroplex is worth the price of admission alone.
Sleeper: Heidi Lovelace v. Jessicka Havok. Lovelace is another wrestler that really stepped up big this weekend and was rewarded with a big pin on the very over Jessicka Havok. Sure, Portia Perez DID clock Havok in the head with a wrench, but a win is a win and they finally have an excuse to turn Havok face (which is good because fans want to cheer for her).
Honorable Mention: Leva Bates v. Marti Bella. Opening match of 66, Leva dressed as Pee Wee Herman and had the crowd in her hand the entire time. You will struggle to find a better comedy match than this one.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
A few other interesting notes from the weekend:

- Athena's new Game of Thrones inspired gimmick is weird. New gear, new music, new nickname, a flag bearer, but it's essentially the exact same character as before she got hurt. I asked her about it, and apparently she just really wanted to do something quasi-Game of Thrones related, but didn't really want to change her old character.

-Doing an injury angle with Veda Scott immediately after Christina Von Erie landed on her neck and had to get carried out of the ring (she apparently escaped any serious injury) is the sort of thing that most promotions would get called out on the carpet over, but for whatever reason it worked, and really did wonders for Veda's character.

-The live commentary was really annoying if you were sitting anywhere near the stage, but hey if it gets the DVDs out faster...Plus rather than having Portia and Prazak fly down to Florida and do commentary, this allowed them to use the whole roster, which led to various combinations of Prazak/Portia/Alison Danger/Veda Scott/Nicole Matthews on commentary, which should be interesting.

-Taylor Made was in attendance and advertised, but never booked and looked really depressed about that fact.

-Kevin Harvey (the ring announcer for the past few sets of tapings) quit the company after this weekend, so it will be interesting to see what they do there. He was the back-up for their previous guy (Joey Eastman) for a long time, and their other reserve ring announcers (Daffney and Chasity Taylor) are awful. Harvey I always liked because you could tell he enjoyed doing the job, and he learned all the Joshi ring entrances in Japanese.

-Thunder Kitty doing a Wendi Richter rewind was both the weirdest nonsense and most sensible thing that was booked all weekend.

TheHock fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2014

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Taylor Made got a phone call about one of her friends dying in a car crash. This happened literally fifteen minutes before her first match.

CVE wasn't hurt at all. She apparently thought it would be "funny" to fake an injury and decided not to tell anyone in the back about it beforehand. Not Prazack, not Danger, not the other wrestlers, no one. Needless to say, everyone back there was PISSED.

Kevin's fall off the ring while doing the Warrior shake wasn't done on purpose. He really did fall and smashed his head against the floor. Ouch.

Thunderkitty really owns that gimmick. That video of her on the phone talking to "Moolah" was absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

I Love My Axe posted:

CVE wasn't hurt at all. She apparently thought it would be "funny" to fake an injury and decided not to tell anyone in the back about it beforehand. Not Prazack, not Danger, not the other wrestlers, no one. Needless to say, everyone back there was PISSED.
Wait, CVE faked that whole thing? Where are you hearing this?

• Locked thread