Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

How was Mass Attack? Never got around to trying it out but it looks interesting. I know i'm going to pick up the 3DS one but was wondering about this one before.

It's honestly my favorite Kirby game. I even got 100% in it despite how incredibly bullshit hard some of the no-damage achievements are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
The best part about that game was the included mini RPG. It was truly excellent and wonderful.

Give us a full Kirby RPG already, Nintendo. Kirby Supersuck Saga. Automatic GOTY.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Joramun posted:

Give us a full Kirby RPG already, Nintendo. Kirby and Dedede: Supersuck Saga. Automatic GOTY.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kirby talk: While Superstar is great, Superstar Ultra Deluxe just improves on it in every way. If you have a DS of any sort you've gotta buy it.

It took superstar and improved all the sprites and art resolutions, increased the framerate and added quite a bit of content onto an already content-packed title, including some legit-hard-as-gently caress bonus bosses and levels.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland on the Wii is also fantastic. It's definitely on the easy side, but the collectibles can be quite challenging. There's also a hard mode to play through once you're done with the main story that can actually kick your rear end. The best part is you can probably find the game for dirt cheap now.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 15, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bobnumerotres posted:

Kirby's Return to Dreamland on the Wii is also fantastic. It's definitely on the easy side, but the collectibles can be quite challenging. There's also a hard mode to play through once you're done with the main story that can actually kick your rear end. The best part is you can probably find the game for dirt cheap now.

Try full price! I have had a hell of a time finding it dirt cheap, I'm afraid. Even used copies are like $30-$40. It's the worst. :(

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Is the Kirby GBA game on the eShop any good? I've been thinking about getting it, but I don't remember what people thought of it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

codenameFANGIO posted:

Try full price! I have had a hell of a time finding it dirt cheap, I'm afraid. Even used copies are like $30-$40. It's the worst. :(
Yeah if someone can point to a site selling it dirt cheap I'd love to buy a copy. The average used copy on Amazon is $50 shipped right now, new is $60+. Nintendo games almost never get cheap (somehow Mass Attack is up for $12 new though, ordering it on this thread's recommendation!)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Is the Kirby GBA game on the eShop any good? I've been thinking about getting it, but I don't remember what people thought of it.

It's a fairly gormless metroidvania with a terrible map. It's not a bad game, but you'd be better off trying one of the SNES games first if you haven't already.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 15, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I enjoyed Kirby and the Amazing Mirror quite a bit but it was hard to get into at first since the game is really tough to navigate. Once I understood it a bit more it got to be pretty cool. The final boss was stupidly long, though. It's a pretty traditional Kirby game except for the world exploration.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

There are some big blocks that look like you'll need your AI buddies to move. You don't. Just grab an ability that shakes the screen, like Stone. The Kirby Four Swords thing is neat but their AI is sooo bad that you're best off summoning them just for free health. Also don't be afraid to look at maps on GFAQs, if only to find the in-game map items yourself.

Uh er to actually answer your question, it is really good, if awkward to navigate. Any Kirby game that lets you change your color is great, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So NES Remix 2 news, I just read an article that said if you have a copy of NES Remix 1 there is some sort of Championship Mode available that is styled after the high-score tournaments they used to have, with score sharing. It's also going to have replays enabled now, and you can share/view those directly via Miiverse integration in case you're wondering how somebody achieved some absurd score.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA is releasing a pink Peach-themed Wiimote Plus in "late April":

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Welp, I guess I'm replacing my plain black Wiimote with that Peach one.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Kirby talk: While Superstar is great, Superstar Ultra Deluxe just improves on it in every way. If you have a DS of any sort you've gotta buy it.

It took superstar and improved all the sprites and art resolutions, increased the framerate and added quite a bit of content onto an already content-packed title, including some legit-hard-as-gently caress bonus bosses and levels.

:hfive:

I don't know why Kirby games always come out at the end of a console's life, with the exception of handhelds, but they always make the most of the system they're on.

Kirby's Adventure used the largest cartridge the NES had, 768kB, and both Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 used the powerful SA-1 chip in their cartridges. Kirby 64 had an excellent art style and animations. Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii was originally going to be a late Gamecube game, but was delayed until it became a late Wii game instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2l5BSBSL0

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

That loving Sned posted:

:hfive:

I don't know why Kirby games always come out at the end of a console's life, with the exception of handhelds, but they always make the most of the system they're on.

Kirby's Adventure used the largest cartridge the NES had, 768kB, and both Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 used the powerful SA-1 chip in their cartridges. Kirby 64 had an excellent art style and animations. Return to Dreamland/Adventure Wii was originally going to be a late Gamecube game, but was delayed until it became a late Wii game instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2l5BSBSL0

I don't think it's a coincidence. I feel like Kirby is on Nintendo's "B-team," good as the games are. They use them to fill out the release schedule later in a console's life while they're making the new Marios and Zeldas and poo poo for the next system. I'd lump a lot of the Mario Sports games in there too.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Spacebump posted:

No idea about WarioWare Twisted but if you have a Gamecube you should check out that version. The turtle multiplayer mode is hilarious.

The Gamecube WarioWare was one of the best multiplayer games on a console full of great MP games, especially if you can get a group that isn't poo poo at the microgames. I just wish we'd get an online remake. Too bad that's never going to happen. :sigh:

Also yeah GBA WarioWare is still amazing and I will be very happy if Twisted and Touched show up on the Wii U VC eventually.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus, so apparently Xenoblade is like 80 bucks on Amazon, that's outrageous. Is the game just super out of print or something? I'd really been keen to pick it up now that I have a working wiimote, but for that price...ugh...

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Jesus, so apparently Xenoblade is like 80 bucks on Amazon, that's outrageous. Is the game just super out of print or something? I'd really been keen to pick it up now that I have a working wiimote, but for that price...ugh...

Best place to look for Xenoblade is your local Gamestop where there's a good chance they'll have a "used" copy for $50

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

It was sold exclusively from Gamestop and Nintendo's online shop via pre-order and that's basically it. They desperately need to release a digital version but that'll never happen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yep its print run was extremely limited and it was only sold through Gamestop or pre-ordered directly from Nintendo. The ones you're seeing on amazon are all being re-sold which means they've jacked up the price because they know people will have a hard time finding it cheaper.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They need to re-release it for Wii U in HD for mad profit.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
At the very least they need to do a reprint and sell it everywhere. Just slap a thing on the front saying "Also plays on Wii U! By the way X is coming soon buy that too!"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hmph, at least it seems to be in stock at my local Gamestops, if I can figure out a way to actually get to them...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep its print run was extremely limited and it was only sold through Gamestop or pre-ordered directly from Nintendo. The ones you're seeing on amazon are all being re-sold which means they've jacked up the price because they know people will have a hard time finding it cheaper.

I seriously thought that this wouldn't happen with Xenoblade. There was a lot of screaming about getting Xenoblade, then a lot of screaming about how limited the release would be. I figured anyone who would be interested would be well aware that they needed to order a copy and they would reduce the post-market on it.

I have a copy but I think a re-release for the Wii U would be great just to hear the whining about it. It would be less work than that Last of Us update since the Wii U uses the same underlying architecture. Hell, if Nintendo wanted to roll up some cheap cash just recompile it so that it runs natively on the Wii U, do the QA, and then sell it on the eShop for twenty bucks (yes, it's more complicated than that, but not by that much). The tears from people complaining about the value of their copies falling would be delicious.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

I seriously thought that this wouldn't happen with Xenoblade. There was a lot of screaming about getting Xenoblade, then a lot of screaming about how limited the release would be. I figured anyone who would be interested would be well aware that they needed to order a copy and they would reduce the post-market on it.

I have a copy but I think a re-release for the Wii U would be great just to hear the whining about it. It would be less work than that Last of Us update since the Wii U uses the same underlying architecture. Hell, if Nintendo wanted to roll up some cheap cash just recompile it so that it runs natively on the Wii U, do the QA, and then sell it on the eShop for twenty bucks (yes, it's more complicated than that, but not by that much). The tears from people complaining about the value of their copies falling would be delicious.
Or like just do another print run of the original Xenoblade since the Wii U is backwards compatible an can run Wii games anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but you'd need to buy a Wii compatible controller then. Be nice to use the tablet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PrBacterio posted:

Or like just do another print run of the original Xenoblade since the Wii U is backwards compatible an can run Wii games anyway.

They did a reprint last year (which Gamestop opened and sold as "used" for a higher price than new). A digital version would have more impact and that means they can't do it for the Wii, it needs to be rebuilt for the Wii U. But like I said, that's a low effort project for Nintendo.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PrBacterio posted:

It would be extremely awesome if we were surprised some time closer to X's release date that a tablet compatible bundle with Xenoblade is also being released same day. Extra kudos if there is a digital download option.

I know I am reaching for the clouds when I say that but let's face it. We all want this to happen.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but you'd need to buy a Wii compatible controller then. Be nice to use the tablet.

Yeah but any Wii owner should really be expected to own a remote and nunchuck. It's right up there with the pad for "primary controller" but for some reason they didnt feel like packing one in with the console.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Dr VideoGames 0.299 posted:

Hey, did you guys know that GBA WarioWare is still a treat to play after all these years? BECAUSE IT TOTALLY IS.

Aside from a few emulation hiccups (stuttering sound, wobbly images) it's been wonderful to play on the Wii U's VC. The pixels are clean and the image is sharp and the sound + music are just as I remember them.

It's enough to make me want to go get Game & Wario. But what's the consensus on that? Is that fun enough on it's own, single player? Or is it more like Smooth Moves on the Wii, where it's much more suited to a party environment?

a bit late on this but I impulse bought game and wario after the price drop and it's a great party game. I got my money's worth out of sitting around with my friends playing sketch and islands for sure. They are really good drinking games. The best part of islands is using the work "fronk" in awful puns throughout the game. The only multiplayer game I didn't like at all was the rhythm game, it was just awkward and not very fun. There's two player modes of a couple of single player games too. Me and a buddy were having a lot of fun playing the robot design game. It's really hard if you were bad at geometry in school. We didn't get anything above sadbot 500.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Louisgod posted:

It was sold exclusively from Gamestop and Nintendo's online shop via pre-order and that's basically it. They desperately need to release a digital version but that'll never happen.

They're waiting for the announcement that Shulk is in Smash Bros to release the digital version. :downs:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm absurdly tempted to pick up a Mario World set of Mario/Luigi/Peach/Toad wii motes. I'll need at least one more anyway...one of my housemates is probably gonna be reclaiming his Plus when he moves out and I need two of them for a lot of Wii Fit stuff

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

They're waiting for the announcement that Shulk is in Smash Bros to release the digital version. :downs:

Why would they put Shulk in Smash when it could be Reyn instead??

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Why would they put Shulk in Smash when it could be Reyn instead??

Because Reyn would be too high tier. Theyre trying for at least a LITTLE balance.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Melee got two Fire Emblem characters, then the new one definitely needs Shulk and Zael. I've been watching the LPs of them, and Xenoblade surprisingly well written and exciting, while The Last Story is incredibly funny. The fireworks launcher and banana would be perfect for Zael.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Seven wasn't such a spoiler I'd ask for that character and Shulk, with Reyn as an assist trophy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

Because Reyn would be too high tier. Theyre trying for at least a LITTLE balance.

Final Smash: REYN TIME. Reyn leaps in and stabs the poo poo out of everything with his shield, while a rainbow rises up in the background.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Gutcruncher posted:

Just tweak the roster a bit and it'll be perfectly balanced.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Groupon has a Rayman/Wiimote bundle for $40:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-rayman-legends-with-wii-remote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PrBacterio posted:

Except without the Wii applying a thick layer of Vaseline to the rendering, Wii games look like garbage on the Wii U

• Locked thread