Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chichevache posted:

there is a part of me every year that hopes ben has a season ending injury.

the good part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Say, it's been a while since we had an anonymous "sources" hit piece on Clowney. Let's see what the Star Ledger is doing about that:

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2014/04/eckel_defensive_linemen_draft.html

quote:

“He’s spoiled, and he’s lazy,’’ the NFC personnel man said. “He’s never worked hard a day in his life, now all of a sudden you’re going to give him a bunch of money and expect him to work hard. I don’t see it.’’

Clowney, who despite one man’s convictions, is going to be a top five pick in next month’s draft.

He could be the No. 1 pick, if Houston decides it doesn’t like any of the quarterbacks enough.

“Oh, he’s going to be a high pick,’’ the personnel man said. “Some team will fall in love with him. But wait and see, just wait and see. I just don’t think you can count on him. I’m betting the under on him.’’

Thaaattt's more like it :allears:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I just assume those sources are teams 2-5

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

The Rams are the only NFC team picking in the top 5.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace

Marketing New Brain posted:

Absolutely. It's always funny that players read these things and use it to stoke a lifetime of motivation, when it's actually being said by the GM who desperately wanted the guy. Kind of a lovely business, but I suppose it's worth enduring if there's a multi-million dollar contract on the other side.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

Say, it's been a while since we had an anonymous "sources" hit piece on Clowney. Let's see what the Star Ledger is doing about that:

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2014/04/eckel_defensive_linemen_draft.html
Wow it seems like the Star Ledger's had a lot of "anonymous sources" lately :rolleyes:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
So I don't care about all our other needs, the panthers would be nuts to pass on Dennard if he's there at 28.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I can't imagine he would be there. You'll take Marquise Lee and be thankful for the Privilege!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I would also be thankful for that. Lot of people are saying dennard will fall to r2.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Lots of dipshits are running teams if Dennard goes in the 2nd

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Dennard will go to the Steelers if not before

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
If Gilbert falls to the Steelers, Dennard will fall past them.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

quote:

@mattbarrows
#49ers to host Clemson WR Martavis Bryant Monday; Trent Baalke attended Clemson pro day last month

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

This is an excellent idea, 49ers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coldforge posted:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

This is an excellent idea, 49ers.

2013: Honorable mention All-ACC pick after playing in 13 games and making 11 starts. Lost playing time after making a throat slashing gesture. 2012: Played in 10 games, but did not make a start. Was suspended for the bowl game due to academic issues. 2011: Played in all 14 games and made two starts. High School: Played with Doug Williams Jr. as his quarterback.

Sure sounds like a Niner.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chichevache posted:

Lost playing time after making a throat slashing gesture.

The NCAA is so awful.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The NCAA is so awful.

You get punished for that in the NFL too don't you?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

You get punished for that in the NFL too don't you?

Probably, though I don't know if there would be a suspension. Probably just a fine or a taunting flag, like Sherman got for the choke gesture.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The NCAA is so awful.

But this is still an accurate statement.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
For the record, Bridgewater had a private workout with the Vikings yesterday. I don't know if that's the "one" that he's had or what, but unless he got his former teammate to Instagram a picture of the two of them together for some smokescreen, he's certainly on the team's radar.

If Bridgewater (or Manziel) falls to #8, there's no doubt the Vikings would take him. Especially since Mack will be gone by then.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The suspension was the school's/coach's decision, not the NCAA.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^
Oh. Well, that's extra dumb.

I'm pretty sure it would just be a taunting flag. To be fair I've never heard of the NCAA fining/suspending anyone for wearing the wrong kind of socks. Not that this means it hasn't happened.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

The suspension was the school's/coach's decision, not the NCAA.

Wow. It always surprises me when a school enforces discipline and the NCAA doesn't.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Wow. It always surprises me when a school enforces discipline and the NCAA doesn't.

Actually most discipline comes from the schools or conferences. The NCAA only disciplines for eligibility and improper benefits. Legal issues, and even in game actions are almost always handled at the school or conference level.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Imagine if he did the double throat slash and the money sign, that would have been an immediate expulsion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfNxLpUYnw

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rotoworld posted:

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Giants have concerns Eli Manning is entering the decline stage of his career.
Manning turned 33 in January. Per Graziano, it's part of the reason the G-Men decided not to extend Eli's contract this offseason, which would have provided significant cap relief. The Giants are hoping Manning is "energized" by the arrival of OC Ben McAdoo, but there's no guarantee he can rebound from the regression he showed in 2013. The Giants lost Hakeem Nicks and failed to upgrade at wide receiver or tight end in free agency, so Manning will be working with mostly the same supporting cast as last year. Manning recently underwent ankle surgery, but is expected to be ready for training camp.

My prediction in the mock draft thread will come true.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GNU Order posted:

Imagine if he did the double throat slash and the money sign, that would have been an immediate expulsion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKfNxLpUYnw

I like how he does it right in front of the ref

moron

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DOOP posted:

I like how he does it right in front of the ref

God bless you child.

Fixed that for you.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Yeah I 100% support Yeldon in taking Johnny's obnoxious taunting and turning it right back on him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

Maybe they can trade a bunch of picks to Houston after they take Bortles.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Oh god what a disgusting act of excessive celebration.

Jesus christ.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

Oh god what a disgusting act of excessive celebration.

Jesus christ.

Whats next? Humping the ball on the end zone turf?

Everyone knows you've got to take it out to a nice dinner, open doors for it, and then after the 3rd or 4th time to the end zone... MAYBE... you'll get to 2nd base.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I am 100% for people making throat slashes in football. Unless this is The Last Boy Scout, no one really has to worry about a football player killing someone on the field.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

If Romo was on that Giants team he probably would've won 3 or 4 Super Bowls

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Doltos posted:

I am 100% for people making throat slashes in football. Unless this is The Last Boy Scout, no one really has to worry about a football player killing someone on the field.

But you're setting a bad example for the children

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rasczak posted:

If Romo was on that Giants team he probably would've won 3 or 4 Super Bowls

Which one because both of the last two super bowl victories were Giants teams that everyone was discounting and writing off from the start. Romo's teams have been vastly overrated since they were beating up a weak NFC for a few years, but I doubt he would have been much better off on the Giants. He doesn't really fit Gilbride's play calling anyway.

GNU Order posted:

Children should have parents that say "hey don't actually go cut anyone's throat" and "hey try to be at least a little respectful when you're playing". And hell, if some kid did a throat slash gesture in pee-wee, then loving tackle him before he scores a 60 yard TD dragging three kids behind him next time.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

swickles posted:

Actually most discipline comes from the schools or conferences. The NCAA only disciplines for eligibility and improper benefits. Legal issues, and even in game actions are almost always handled at the school or conference level.

Don't schools also self-report their issues to get ahead of any NCAA sanctions?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

GNU Order posted:

gently caress that. go for the throat slash, money sign and Gen-x crotch slash kid.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Give the ball a tombstone piledriver and start hucking cans of beer like Stone Cold.

If anything the XFL didn't go far enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

An interesting observation:

Pete Prisco posted:

The injury suffered by Clemson offensive tackle Brandon Thomas during a noncontact drill in a personal workout for the Saints will have the league and the agents re-considering this move to more individual workouts. Why risk it when there is so much tape to watch on a player and there's combine and pro-day workouts?

If I were an agent, I would say my client is resting on his pro-day workout. It's just not worth the risk. Thomas was considered a potential late first-round pick and now will likely not go until the fourth round. That's just stupidity. What's the reason? To see how he does in the short shuttle again?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Quest For Glory II posted:

An interesting observation:

Huh, that makes a lot of sense. It is sort of ludicrous just how often these players are forced to do the same thing over and over for different audiences. I get doing in depth interviews to assess their football intelligence but making them run shuttles or demonstrate the same throws they did at either the combine or their school workouts on top of all their game tape is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Honestly how often do injuries happen during pro day type workouts? I think people might be overreacting to something we don't see happen very often.

• Locked thread