Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

How do y'all deal with high soak values? Half my crew has a soak of 5+. Even the Mechanic has 5 soak. We're playing Beyond the Rim. The squishy people are having a ton of trouble managing their health, while the soak people take almost no damage.

Also, Age of Rebellion Beginner game on the boat :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alg posted:

How do y'all deal with high soak values? Half my crew has a soak of 5+. Even the Mechanic has 5 soak. We're playing Beyond the Rim. The squishy people are having a ton of trouble managing their health, while the soak people take almost no damage.
Disruptor pistols :commissar:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Also, Age of Rebellion Beginner game on the boat :unsmith:

Aside from non-combat objectives during combat, splitting the party, situations where they can't use their battle armor (I know not all soak comes from armor, but still), disruptor pistols, and abilities that bypass soak, don't forget about vehicles: your individual soak is not very meaningful in space or in a high-speed chase high above the ground, underwater, or above really hazardous terrain.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So has there been any hint of what's coming next for this system, other than the upcoming Age of Rebellion core release (and its associated Beginner and GM goodies)? I'm excited for more career supplements, especially for the other non-combat-heavy careers.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

There is nothing announced currently, but I assume that is just because most of the team has probably been focusing on the AoR Beginners Game and the AoR Core Rulebook. I'm looking forward to new career supplements at the bare minimum.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

So has there been any hint of what's coming next for this system, other than the upcoming Age of Rebellion core release (and its associated Beginner and GM goodies)? I'm excited for more career supplements, especially for the other non-combat-heavy careers.

Force User book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Force User book.

As in the 3rd Core book, Force and Destiny? Or is there a Force user supplement coming for EotE?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

As in the 3rd Core book, Force and Destiny? Or is there a Force user supplement coming for EotE?

Third core. Eventually.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Third core. Eventually.

Well we've known that's been in the works since day 1. I'm just surprised that there's currently nothing other than the 3 AoR launch things that's been given a tentative date. No supplements for AoR, no more career books for EotE, nothing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Speaking of, as a non-GM, which of the other EotE materials should I pick up? I only have the core book at the moment...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

Speaking of, as a non-GM, which of the other EotE materials should I pick up? I only have the core book at the moment...

The Career books. Dangerous Covenants, Enter the Unknown, and Suns of Fortune. Suns isn't a career book, but it has a few new races and lots of gear and info, so it's optional.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ChiTownEddie posted:

Even as a non GM, I would suggest snagging a Beginner Box, either the EotE one now or the AoR one soon. You'll get your own set of dice, plus you'll have a beginner adventure in the event of you wanting to try GMing in the future. Plus the generic monster pogs are handy to have around.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Serious question: do the official game materials cover gungans, and if so, what's their shtick mechanically?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
They do not, as far as I'm aware.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
For people who want to run this in irc, here's a tcl script for the eggdrop bot that can make the dice rolls, and adds/cancels out the values up the values.

http://angille.net/eote/tcl/eoteroller.tcl

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Here we go :unsmigghh:

quote:

Game Masters can use the adventure’s mass combat rules to help bring the large-scale Battle of the Gauntlet to life, and the Player Characters’ actions will help shape the outcome.

In-depth gazetteers cover a full-sized Rebel base on Arda I, the treacherous landscape of the swamp planet Jagomir, and the capital city of Livien Magnus on Ord Radama.

Also included are all-new adversary and vehicle profiles, including the T-47 sandspeeder, TIE Hunter, Viper probe droid, devlikk, and doran’enok.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4756

alg fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 17, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

While I'm still not a fan of how wildly different it is from the subdued EotE color scheme...the bright red books are starting to grow on me.

Also, I'm glad the first expansion book is an adventure module instead of a career supplement. Releasing a career book first almost reminds me of the video game practice of "cut it out, sell it as DLC" (I know, 2 completely different industries, and I don't want to start a slapfight. This is coming from someone who has bought and enjoyed all 5 EotE supplements so far.)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

This adventure sounds cool as gently caress and now I need to ramp up my plans to get my group more involved in the Rebellion.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I would stab a hobo for an advance copy of that, the mass combat rules would be great for Rebels!

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
I'm really looking forward to mass combat as well. MonCal Cruisers vs Star Destroyers?

Yes, please.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What would be an adventure to run as a good intro to the game, possibly with pregen characters? Trying to pitch this game to a group that likes the setting/concept of Shadowrun but not the mechanics of it.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Zerilan posted:

What would be an adventure to run as a good intro to the game, possibly with pregen characters? Trying to pitch this game to a group that likes the setting/concept of Shadowrun but not the mechanics of it.

The beginner game would be pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Assuming the next EoE release is another career book, which career would people most like to see it be? I'd love a Colonist book to expand on civilian careers, personally - but I'd be okay with a Smuggler book as a companion to Jewel of Yavin.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ScottyBomb posted:

Assuming the next EoE release is another career book, which career would people most like to see it be? I'd love a Colonist book to expand on civilian careers, personally - but I'd be okay with a Smuggler book as a companion to Jewel of Yavin.

Bounty Hunter. BOUNTY HUNTER. BOUNTY HUNTER.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ScottyBomb posted:

I'd love to see a Colonist book; the one thing EotE seems to lack is some really solid civilian roles. There's so much roleplaying potential in a bunch of ordinary people that got swept up in craziness, I'd love to see the rules support that a hair more.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

jivjov posted:

I'd love to see a Colonist book; the one thing EotE seems to lack is some really solid civilian roles. There's so much roleplaying potential in a bunch of ordinary people that got swept up in craziness, I'd love to see the rules support that a hair more.

Pretty much this exactly. Though I admit I'm a bit stumped what other specializations they could add in. The Technician career seems to cover off blue-collar workers fairly well, and Trader falls under Explorer.

Best I can think up is maybe something like a Journalist.

Then again, my being unable to conjure up three other specializations is another reason I'd like to see the book.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What about a droid book?

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

What about a droid book?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind an official comprehensive Species book. Reprint all the existing Species, add in a bunch more. You could stick some additional stock Droid types or options in it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ScottyBomb posted:

Pretty much this exactly. Though I admit I'm a bit stumped what other specializations they could add in. The Technician career seems to cover off blue-collar workers fairly well, and Trader falls under Explorer.

Best I can think up is maybe something like a Journalist.

Then again, my being unable to conjure up three other specializations is another reason I'd like to see the book.

Journalist and Entertainer would be my first two picks. Give me talents and the like to play an on-the-run holovid star or something.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

jivjov posted:

Journalist and Entertainer would be my first two picks. Give me talents and the like to play an on-the-run holovid star or something.

Ooh! I like the Entertainer idea. And there's precedent with Sy Snootles, Max Rebo and the Bith musicians. Heck, that would make this a good book to include the Bith as a player species.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What the hell skill would you use for playing an instrument? Coordination?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Depends on what instrument and what you're trying to do via the performance. I could make an argument for Charm, Coordination, or Knowledge-Education just off the top of my head.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Coordination sounds logical to me. Or you could do what one of my dm's does for bards... Whenever you use one of your abilities you have to sing or use an instrument in real life. :downs:

nelson fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 20, 2014

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Volatile Penguin posted:

The beginner game would be pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Is there anything in the Beginner box adventures that make it to where the players need to use the premade characters or anything (are the premade characters significantly stronger than normal starting characters), or does it run just fine with them making default level characters of their own, since I have the core book too?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Is there anything in the Beginner box adventures that make it to where the players need to use the premade characters or anything (are the premade characters significantly stronger than normal starting characters), or does it run just fine with them making default level characters of their own, since I have the core book too?

There's incentives for using the premades but you don't have to by any means. Runs fine with homemade characters.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
What's the easiest way to get this up and running on Roll20? Should I use this script I found to roll dice or is there a better/more-integrated way to handle that?

Also, does anyone have any good sources for assets (either maps or tokens)? I've built up a huge library of fantasy poo poo over the years, but very little for sci-fi/space/Star Wars.

Edit: Can you buy PDF's of the books anywhere or is it dead-tree only?

CaptCommy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 21, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

CaptCommy posted:

What's the easiest way to get this up and running on Roll20? Should I use this script I found to roll dice or is there a better/more-integrated way to handle that?

Also, does anyone have any good sources for assets (either maps or tokens)? I've built up a huge library of fantasy poo poo over the years, but very little for sci-fi/space/Star Wars.

I use the API script here:

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/182569/script-edge-of-the-empire-dice-with-images-in-the-chat-window#post-793651

PM me and I'll send you my links for maps, map objects, and tokens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CaptCommy posted:

Dead tree only, due to the way the Star Wars gaming license works. Releasing a PDF would be considered releasing a "digital game product" and FFG doesn't have the rights to do so. EA games does.

Yes, that's right, FFG can't release PDFs due to a licensing agreement with a video game publisher.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

jivjov posted:

Dead tree only, due to the way the Star Wars gaming license works. Releasing a PDF would be considered releasing a "digital game product" and FFG doesn't have the rights to do so. EA games does.

Yes, that's right, FFG can't release PDFs due to a licensing agreement with a video game publisher.

That's dumb as poo poo, but at least it's dumb for reasons that FFG has no control over, so I don't have to be mad at them over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Whoa. Lots of cool stuff on this site:

http://thompsonpeters.com/eote/maps/

Dude wrote an 80 page adventure :stare:

• Locked thread